PDA

View Full Version : The Boys of Summer - New SmellsLikeMascot cartoon

WhiteSoxFTW
06-04-2010, 01:24 PM
http://www.smellslikemascot.com/

Once again, Carl Skanberg captures the thoughts and feelings of Chicago sports fans in his 6/4/10 cartoon.

SephClone89
06-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Meh.

I've been watching all the games and want the Hawks to win, but I hate the idea that everyone in Chicago is paying attention only to the Hawks.

Iwritecode
06-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Baseball always has been and probably always will be my favorite sport but I've probably watched more hockey in the past few weeks than I ever have in my entire life.

I would say I've watched the Hawks almost as much as I've watched the Sox. But to be fair, it hasn't been very much for either.

I still don't understand hockey that much and I'll probably never really be a big fan of it. But it's hard to not get caught up in the excitement with everyone else. I'm just not going to go out and buy a bunch of Hawks stuff.

DSpivack
06-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Meh.

I've been watching all the games and want the Hawks to win, but I hate the idea that everyone in Chicago is paying attention only to the Hawks.

Blame a mediocre Bulls team and two bad baseball teams for that.

kittle42
06-04-2010, 02:00 PM
I honestly don't know what I am going to do when the Hawks are finished playing. I guess concentrate on my fantasy teams...

voodoochile
06-04-2010, 02:05 PM
On a side note, has anyone been following his Saltwater Pickle strip? If so, does anyone know what is going on in it? Is there a purpose? Is there a story? Is there anything that bears continuing to read this bizarre pointless wandering apparently drug-induced offering?

At least he appears to have taken a vacation, he posted a bunch last Friday and no updates this week. Still, the question remains, does anyone know what this strip is about?

hi im skot
06-04-2010, 02:25 PM
soltrain is going to love this one.

GoGoCrede
06-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I was really hoping this would be about the book "Boys of Summer." One of the best baseball books I've ever read. Not about the Hawks.

SephClone89
06-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Yeah, I was really hoping this would be about the book "Boys of Summer." One of the best baseball books I've ever read. Not about the Hawks.

A few months ago, I found a first edition hardback of this in near-perfect condition at a local used bookstore for $8. Hoping to get it read this summer, as I've heard it's amazing!

Dibbs
06-04-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm not a hockey fan, but whatever happened to all those people that said Wolves games were better than Blackhawks games? Everybody and their grandma is a Hawks fan now. People just don't know what they like.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Meh.

You can hate it, but it's not going to change. Unless the Bulls get Lebron, and the Sox and Cubs suddenly start winning, this city will be in a Hawks hangover for weeks after the Stanley Cup.

Rocky Soprano
06-04-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm not a hockey fan, but whatever happened to all those people that said Wolves games were better than Blackhawks games? Everybody and their grandma is a Hawks fan now. People just don't know what they like.

The Wolves were better for a period of time, now it's the Blackhawks turn.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-04-2010, 03:19 PM
On a side note, has anyone been following his Saltwater Pickle strip? If so, does anyone know what is going on in it? Is there a purpose? Is there a story? Is there anything that bears continuing to read this bizarre pointless wandering apparently drug-induced offering?

At least he appears to have taken a vacation, he posted a bunch last Friday and no updates this week. Still, the question remains, does anyone know what this strip is about?

I have read them. I've laughed a couple times. But mostly, it seems like the "drug-induced offering" you speak of hits the nail on the head. Skanberg has always been very witty in his Sox and Chicago cartoons. I almost think he is trying to be TOO witty with this strip.

DSpivack
06-04-2010, 03:35 PM
The Wolves were better for a period of time, now it's the Blackhawks turn.

I think that was a sign of just how far the Hawks had fallen that an AHL [no disrespect to the Wolves, but it is minor league] team became arguably more popular than them. That's just a good metaphor for how far the Hawks fell.

g0g0
06-04-2010, 04:03 PM
On a side note, has anyone been following his Saltwater Pickle strip?

No clue. Starts out with Germans and submarines and then a long drawn out barrel monologue. I wish he would kill the bird and be done with it.

voodoochile
06-04-2010, 04:28 PM

Not true, they like winners and if the management team actually makes a half assed attempt to be nice to people and builds a winner, then people really like the product. In the past 3 years or so the Hawks have managed to turn around all of the things people disliked about the team under the old man.

Boondock Saint
06-04-2010, 04:29 PM
First thing I noticed: Toews is a lefty. Bad form, Skanberg. Bad form.

october23sp
06-05-2010, 12:03 AM

From what I read he is putting the stupid thoughts everyone has down on paper, and it isn't funny.

GoGoCrede
06-05-2010, 12:09 AM

I just wish he had been able to finish Palehose 9. It was a great start, with the freight train idea. And with how crappy season went, he could have gotten a lot of jokes out of it.

white sox bill
06-05-2010, 08:30 AM
soltrain is going to love this one.
I don't think soltrain has a problem w/the Hawks per se. I think he has issues when sooo many non-Hawk threads somehow manage to get hijacked into Hawk Talk.

C-Dawg
06-05-2010, 08:48 AM
...this city will be in a Hawks hangover for weeks after the Stanley Cup.

Particularly if the Hawks go 2-4 in the finals.

soltrain21
06-05-2010, 10:17 AM
I don't think soltrain has a problem w/the Hawks per se. I think he has issues when sooo many non-Hawk threads somehow manage to get hijacked into Hawk Talk.

I also hate the fact that all off a sudden everybody is a ****ing hockey aficionado when a year and a half ago hardly anybody cared. It's so annoying.