PDA

View Full Version : I'm sick of these Interleague Rules!

chisoxfanatic
06-20-2002, 09:45 AM
"If a game is played in a NL ballpark, then no team shall use the DH."~MLB rulebook

This is just plain bull$hit! It's been happening since Day 1, but it needs a change right now. Interleague play totally favors the NL, because their pitchers actually have batting experience, and it is sickening me beyond belief! The 9-hole is an easy out for the AL team. If there is a game between an AL team and an NL team, regardless of the ballpark in which it is being played in, the AL team should be allowed to abide by AL regulations (the DH rule) and the NL team should be allowed to abide by NL rules (no DH). Then MAYBE interleague play would be played on fair grounds for a change!

Heather the Redbird

ma-gaga
06-20-2002, 10:08 AM
the AL team should be allowed to abide by AL regulations (the DH rule) and the NL team should be allowed to abide by NL rules (no DH).

:) oh yeah. This would be fair.

This is why the top 4 MLB staff's are from the NL. Looking deeper, 7 of the top 10 and 14 of the top 18 teams are in the NL. Milwaukee and Colorado are the only 'crappy' NL pitching teams at 24th and 25th respectfully.

There is a reason why teams play by the same rules.

Iwritecode
06-20-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
:) oh yeah. This would be fair.

This is why the top 4 MLB staff's are from the NL. Looking deeper, 7 of the top 10 and 14 of the top 18 teams are in the NL. Milwaukee and Colorado are the only 'crappy' NL pitching teams at 24th and 25th respectfully.

There is a reason why teams play by the same rules.

You just proved the point with these stats. Why do you think NL pitchers have better #'s? Well, every 9th batter, they get face a guy that only bats once every five days or more. AL pitchers on the other hand have to face a guy who does nothing but sit on the bench and hit everyday. That seems fair...

soxrme
06-20-2002, 10:22 AM
I do not like inter league play to begin with,but baseball should either embrace the DH in both leagues or ban it. I would like to see it banned totaly but can live with it. Inter league play now is not fair to the American League teams which are set up for the DH. It also screws up scheduling.

ma-gaga
06-20-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

You just proved the point with these stats. Why do you think NL pitchers have better #'s? Well, every 9th batter, they get face a guy that only bats once every five days or more. AL pitchers on the other hand have to face a guy who does nothing but sit on the bench and hit everyday. That seems fair...

So, the question is: Is it fair for Interleague games to have different rules for the two teams playing each other?

I'm saying, 'no'. What do you say?

ma-gaga
06-20-2002, 10:30 AM
I guess my main beef with the original argument, is this line:
Interleague play totally favors the NL, because their pitchers actually have batting experience

Pitchers suck no matter if they are AL or NL. I agree that the NL pitching stats are "inflated" because there is no DH. But to state that there is an unfair advantage because Tom Glavine gets 40 ab's in a season and that gives him an "edge" over Roger Clemens is absurd.

:)

Iwritecode
06-20-2002, 11:00 AM
So, the question is: Is it fair for Interleague games to have different rules for the two teams playing each other?

I'm saying, 'no'. What do you say?

No it's not. But neither is it fair to use the rule that weakens one team. The should go with the rule that strengthens one team...

Iwritecode
06-20-2002, 11:01 AM
I guess my main beef with the original argument, is this line:

Pitchers suck no matter if they are AL or NL. I agree that the NL pitching stats are "inflated" because there is no DH. But to state that there is an unfair advantage because Tom Glavine gets 40 ab's in a season and that gives him an "edge" over Roger Clemens is absurd.

Those extra ab's seem to help Mike Hampton. I also bet that the collective average of NL pitchers compared to AL pitchers is higher. So it does give them a little bit of an advantage.

hold2dibber
06-20-2002, 11:39 AM
I'm sure that NL teams bitch about having to find a DH when playing at AL parks. The fact is, AL teams will almost always have a better DH than NL teams. NL benches are constructed with NL rules in mind - guys that can bunt, run, play a few positions, and hit a bit. But if a guy is a true stud hitter, he's not going to be sitting on the bench of an NL team, most likely. AL teams pay top dollar for DHs, whereas NL bench players are generally not big $ guys. Thus, NL teams have to come up with guys who really are utility guys as DH while AL teams trot out Big Hurt, Manny Ramirez, Egar Martinez or Juan Gonzalez.

Thus, it is unfair for NL teams to play under AL rules and unfair for AL teams to play under NL rules. It also would be (extremely) unfair to allow AL teams to use a DH but prevent NL teams from doing so in interleague games. There is no good solution.

KempersRS
06-20-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by chisoxfanatic
the AL team should be allowed to abide by AL regulations (the DH rule) and the NL team should be allowed to abide by NL rules (no DH). Then MAYBE interleague play would be played on fair grounds for a change!

Wow, that is the smartest thing I've heard all day. How can you have a game where the 2 teams don't have the same rules? This isn't playground ball.

The fairest way to do it would probably be to have a DH for both teams for all the games (even THAT isn't 100% fair), but it's not a big enough deal to change the rules now. I know I saw a stat the other day about how the AL pitchers were outhitting the NL ones. To get upset over this is completely ridiculous.

Paulwny
06-20-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Thus, it is unfair for NL teams to play under AL rules and unfair for AL teams to play under NL rules. It also would be (extremely) unfair to allow AL teams to use a DH but prevent NL teams from doing so in interleague games. There is no good solution.

Absolutely correct, until the dh is adopted or ended in both leagues this inequity will always exist.

Pete Ward
06-20-2002, 03:00 PM
How's this in interleague play:

At the start of each game the Manager can decide if he wants to use the DH or not?

How many NL clubs would use a DH? 90%, 100%.

I say either All teams use a DH or None, all the time.

hold2dibber
06-20-2002, 04:08 PM
Another options I've heard bandied about (which I know MLB would never go for) would be to have both teams in all inter-leagues games (no matter where played) use a DH AND have their pitchers bat (i.e., a 10 man lineup). That actually is probably the fairest way to do it, but it'll never happen.

longshot7
06-20-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

Absolutely correct, until the dh is adopted or ended in both leagues this inequity will always exist.

I vote for ending the DH altogether - talk about perverting the purity of baseball.

doublem23
06-20-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by longshot7

I vote for ending the DH altogether - talk about perverting the purity of baseball.

Nah. Go DH!

Mathew
06-20-2002, 11:15 PM
It's unfair that we have to play 19 games at the friggin' Twinkie Dome but that's baseball. The Mariners pitchers (including JB were hitting well) it's all a crap shoot.

LongDistanceFan
06-21-2002, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Another options I've heard bandied about (which I know MLB would never go for) would be to have both teams in all inter-leagues games (no matter where played) use a DH AND have their pitchers bat (i.e., a 10 man lineup). That actually is probably the fairest way to do it, but it'll never happen. i like the idea.............

but then again, i like the interleague play.......

ma-gaga
06-21-2002, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Mathew
It's unfair that we have to play 19 games at the friggin' Twinkie Dome but that's baseball. The Mariners pitchers (including JB were hitting well) it's all a crap shoot.

Just nitpicking here. 10 games at the Rollerdome. 9 games at Comisky. But I understand your point.