PDA

View Full Version : Cubs/Sox Quiz

WhiteSox5187
06-03-2010, 04:18 PM
So since I have graduated from college this summer and looking for a job, I find I have a lot of free time on my hands. One of the things I have wanted to do for a long time is compile a quiz to test the intelligence of the people at Wrigley Field and at Comiskey and see who gets more right. With the Cubs/Sox series approaching I figure I can do it now and hopefully come up with an article that I can write and submit to the Chicago Reader or the Red Eye or maybe even here. So I have concocted a quiz that tests knowledge of the current team and the history of the teams for Cubs fans and Sox fans. I am posting it here to get any feedback on the questions (are there too many, etc) and if you would you like you can try the quiz yourself. For the posters here it will be a breeze.

Current team questions:
1. Who are the Cubs/Sox playing today?
2. Are the Cubs/Sox over or under .500?
3. How many games over/under are the Cubs/Sox?
4. Who is pitching for the Cubs/Sox today?
5. Who is the Cubs/Sox everyday shortstop?

Historical questions:
1. What years have the Cubs/Sox won the World Series?
2. When was the last time the Cubs/Sox won the World Series?
3. The pennant?
4. The division?
5. Since 1945, how many times have the Cubs/Sox made the post season?
6. What numbers are retired for the Cubs/Sox and who wore them?

This is a pretty easy quiz for a diehard Cubs/Sox fan, but I suspect that a lot of the people who go to Wrigley (and probably a few who go to Comiskey) are not of the die hard variety so it will be interesting to see the discrepancy.

LITTLE NELL
06-03-2010, 05:44 PM
So since I have graduated from college this summer and looking for a job, I find I have a lot of free time on my hands. One of the things I have wanted to do for a long time is compile a quiz to test the intelligence of the people at Wrigley Field and at Comiskey and see who gets more right. With the Cubs/Sox series approaching I figure I can do it now and hopefully come up with an article that I can write and submit to the Chicago Reader or the Red Eye or maybe even here. So I have concocted a quiz that tests knowledge of the current team and the history of the teams for Cubs fans and Sox fans. I am posting it here to get any feedback on the questions (are there too many, etc) and if you would you like you can try the quiz yourself. For the posters here it will be a breeze.

Current team questions:
1. Who are the Cubs/Sox playing today? Cubs off--Sox
vs Rangers
2. Are the Cubs/Sox over or under .500? Under
3. How many games over/under are the Cubs/Sox? Cubs 5 under-Sox 8 under
4. Who is pitching for the Cubs/Sox today? Cubs off---Sox Garcia
5. Who is the Cubs/Sox everyday shortstop? Cubs Castro--Sox TCM

Historical questions:
1. What years have the Cubs/Sox won the World Series? Cubs 1907,1908---Sox 1906, 1917, 2005
2. When was the last time the Cubs/Sox won the World Series? Cubs 1908---Sox 2005
3. The pennant? Cubs 1945---Sox 2005
4. The division? Both in 2008
5. Since 1945, how many times have the Cubs/Sox made the post season? Both 6 times
6. What numbers are retired for the Cubs/Sox and who wore them? Cubs 14 Banks and 26 Williams, Sox 2 Fox, 3 Baines, 4 Appling, 9 Minoso, 11,Aparicio, 16 Lyons, 19 Pierce, 72 Fisk---- Both 42 Robinson

This is a pretty easy quiz for a diehard Cubs/Sox fan, but I suspect that a lot of the people who go to Wrigley (and probably a few who go to Comiskey) are not of the die hard variety so it will be interesting to see the discrepancy.
Done

WhiteSox5187
06-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Done

You missed four retired numbers for the Cubs. Was it too long of a quiz to go up and ask people at the ball park? It should take all of about five minutes, right?

LITTLE NELL
06-03-2010, 07:47 PM
You missed four retired numbers for the Cubs. Was it too long of a quiz to go up and ask people at the ball park? It should take all of about five minutes, right?

Not too long at all, I figured the Cubs had more numbers retired but when I left for Florida in 1993 it was just Banks and Williams.
I will guess 10-Santo,31- Jenkins, 23-Sandberg and 21-Sosa.

WhiteSox5187
06-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Not too long at all, I figured the Cubs had more numbers retired but when I left for Florida in 1993 it was just Banks and Williams.
I will guess 10-Santo,31- Jenkins, 23-Sandberg and 21-Sosa.

Close, 31 was retired twice for Jenkins and Maddux. Sosa's number has not been retired and I suspect it won't ever be.

SephClone89
06-04-2010, 01:41 AM

We need to stop kidding ourselves on this count. The vast majority of ballpark attendees do not follow the team day in and day out and couldn't tell you most of this. This is true at Wrigley, the Cell and all around baseball. The explanation for this is simple: the vast majority of people don't follow baseball day in and day out.

I'm not saying that we're all a bunch of idiots, just that those who hold up the Cell as being a place full of serious baseball people who just watch the game are kidding themselves.

Iwritecode
06-04-2010, 09:56 AM
We need to stop kidding ourselves on this count. The vast majority of ballpark attendees do not follow the team day in and day out and couldn't tell you most of this. This is true at Wrigley, the Cell and all around baseball. The explanation for this is simple: the vast majority of people don't follow baseball day in and day out.

I'm not saying that we're all a bunch of idiots, just that those who hold up the Cell as being a place full of serious baseball people who just watch the game are kidding themselves.

I usually follow the team day in and day out but this year they've been so horrible that it's harder to do.

I honestly didn't know who was pitching yesterday until I heard it on the pregame on the radio and still don't know how many games under .500 they are.

SOXfnNlansing
06-04-2010, 10:56 AM
I always ask cub 'fans' who their back up catcher is and they don't know. That's something real fans would know.

kittle42
06-04-2010, 11:54 AM

Agreed. Wrigley has more people who don't know crap about their own team because they simply...well...have more people. I would agree that the bleacher area generally contains a much higher percentage of these folks, though.

I do think the perception that everyone at the Cell is there scorecard in hand, hanging on every pitch, and sober is and always has been pretty ridiculous.