PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6/2 Floyd hurls (all over the mound); Rangers beat Sox 9-5

Frater Perdurabo
06-02-2010, 11:01 PM
ugh

GoGoCrede
06-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Can't defend my guy anymore. He's been so bad this year. Something has to give.

doublem23
A nice step forward this weekend in Tampa Bay, two huge steps backward at home.

Love the Sox. Hate this team.

WhiteSox5187
We suck.

JDub35
06-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Blow it up.

dickallen15
06-02-2010, 11:05 PM
When a 4-3 roadtrip with 3 of those games in Cleveland gives you any glimmer of hope, you know the team isn't very good.

I personally think KW needs to be called into the principal's office and asked how exactly do you build a team around pitching and blow off defense.

Danielgosox38
06-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Blow it up.

Please

Tragg
06-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Finally a pinch hitter is used: Kotsay and his sub .300 obp. Go get 'em Oz.

Bad pitching, bad offense.
Same story.

soxinem1
06-02-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm in DC and had to watch it from my computer.

Different view, same result.

JDub35
06-02-2010, 11:13 PM
I can't wait for next week's pillow fight against the Scrubs. After that, I may check out for the remainder of the season. I've never been more frustrated with a Sox team! It's one thing to be bad, it's another to not even be fun to watch....

Brian26
06-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Kudos to Mark Kotsay. Instead of grounding out in his typical 4-3 fashion, he mixed it up a bit tonight with a 4-6-3 to end the game.

sox1970
06-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Don't even care...bad team...dump salary...make good moves...go get 'em next year.

guillensdisciple
06-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Can't defend my guy anymore. He's been so bad this year. Something has to give.

Floyd is a joke.

The pitching is a joke.

Time to sell.

WhiteSox56
06-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Sell sell sell!!

johnnyg83
06-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Is this the low water point ... record wise?

We finally start scoring some runs and and the pitching stinks.

pudge
06-02-2010, 11:42 PM
I can't wait for next week's pillow fight against the Scrubs. After that, I may check out for the remainder of the season. I've never been more frustrated with a Sox team! It's one thing to be bad, it's another to not even be fun to watch....

This team was not fun to watch from about Day Two... I don't know how those who haven't checked out yet have managed to keep watching...

LoveYourSuit
06-02-2010, 11:47 PM
A nice step forward this weekend in Tampa Bay, two huge steps backward at home.

Love the Sox. Hate this team.

That's a stretch right there.

Splits to me is no step forward.

Jerko
06-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Good thing the Rangers suck on the road and were missing 2 of their best bats. This team is brutal to watch.

JB98
06-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Don't even care...bad team...dump salary...make good moves...go get 'em next year.

Yep. You can rebuild quickly in this division. I'm looking forward to changes being made.

sox1970
06-02-2010, 11:55 PM
That's a stretch right there.

Splits to me is no step forward.

A split on the road against the best team in the league is acceptable. It's just the rest of the schedule that has sucked. Like 3-6 vs Cle. This team has no ability to string wins because they aren't good enough.

russ99
06-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Please trade Quentin to anyone who will give us a decent prospect for a total headcase.

At least Beckham can go to AAA and try to get it together.

SephClone89
06-02-2010, 11:58 PM
This team was not fun to watch from about Day Two... I don't know how those who haven't checked out yet have managed to keep watching...

Because it's summer and summer is baseball. Granted, once the World Cup kicks off my interest will probably wane, but afterwards it'll be all about baseball again.

:shrug:

PhillipsBubba
06-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Seriously...how long can this continue...this is really embarrassing...

WhiteSox5187
06-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Seriously...how long can this continue...this is really embarrassing...

'Til October 3rd.

WhiteSox1989
06-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Bad game.

They pulled me back in during the 8th. I should have known better...

hi im skot
06-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Bad game.

They pulled me back in during the 8th. I should have known better...

Still crazy after all these years...

WhiteSox1989
06-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Still crazy after all these years...
I always lean on those old familiar ways...

but seriously. this game SUCKED.

guillensdisciple
06-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Please trade Quentin to anyone who will give us a decent prospect for a total headcase.

At least Beckham can go to AAA and try to get it together.

Hitting is no longer the problem.

KnightSox
06-03-2010, 12:52 AM
This team was not fun to watch from about Day Two... I don't know how those who haven't checked out yet have managed to keep watching...Its hard, but I always remember what my Grandfather used to say to me - "stick with the White Sox".

hi im skot
06-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Its hard, but I always remember what my Grandfather used to say to me - "stick with the White Sox".

:thumbsup:

Nelfox02
06-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Yep. You can rebuild quickly in this division. I'm looking forward to changes being made.

How can this team quickly rebuild? It appears that we have no quality talent coming out of the minors that will contribute next year. Nothing I have read or anyone I have talked to has said anyting positive about Danks, Dayan, or Flowers (and those are the names that are tossed about as the next crop of guys set to come up and plug the holes created by the coming fire sale) speaking of the fire sale----does anyone honestly think we are getting any high powered young talent for the players that will likely be moved? Do we get blue chip youngsters for Konerko, AJ, or Jenks? doubtful If we are willing to part with a Thornton or Danks, maybe But look what you are giving up there

yeah, I think the sox will make some room financially either at the deadline or this off season.....but does anyone honestly think this payroll will be anywhere near the level it is this season next year? revenues will be terrible this year I dont see this team doing ANYTHING in free agency

JB98
06-03-2010, 01:28 AM
Doesn't look like there is a PTC thread in the Clubhouse tonight, but I did author this TBGR (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3965).

I'm not sure why the hell you'd want to read about this game, but my report is there for you if you need it.

Tragg
06-03-2010, 01:30 AM

The contracts to Peavy, Teahan and, frankly, Rios, coupled with a near absence of real talent in the farm, make it problematic.

It is also why THIS trading season is key, absolutely key.
No one will convince me that a savvy Williams couldn't get some real talent for Thornton....who's 34 and a gamble whether he will "still have it" by the time that will be important again for this team.

But he can't give away ML starters for Juan Pierre anymore.

SephClone89
06-03-2010, 01:31 AM
How can this team quickly rebuild? It appears that we have no quality talent coming out of the minors that will contribute next year. Nothing I have read or anyone I have talked to has said anyting positive about Danks, Dayan, or Flowers (and those are the names that are tossed about as the next crop of guys set to come up and plug the holes created by the coming fire sale) speaking of the fire sale----does anyone honestly think we are getting any high powered young talent for the players that will likely be moved? Do we get blue chip youngsters for Konerko, AJ, or Jenks? doubtful If we are willing to part with a Thornton or Danks, maybe But look what you are giving up there

yeah, I think the sox will make some room financially either at the deadline or this off season.....but does anyone honestly think this payroll will be anywhere near the level it is this season next year? revenues will be terrible this year I dont see this team doing ANYTHING in free agency

I'm not saying Viciedo is a top-flight prospect or anything, but he's been mashing lately and has been getting some notice of it.

doublem23
06-03-2010, 01:36 AM

Given the state of the free agent market in baseball right now, there are definitely some deals to be had. The Sox obviously have zero talent in their system, but there will be some interesting players out there and, as it has been noted, this is notoriously the worst division in baseball. We're not competing with the Yankees or Phillies... We're competing with the Twins, Tigers, Indians, and Royals. No reason this team shouldn't be able to jump back into some sort competitive mode quickly, hopefully, sans this boneheaded "NL-style, No-DH" garbage philosophy coming from the manager's office.

JB98
06-03-2010, 01:39 AM

It didn't look very good for the Sox after the 2007 season either, but they had a good enough offseason, caught a couple breaks and managed to win the division in 2008.

There is no annual 95-win juggernaut like the Yankees in the AL Central. Most years, 88-90 wins will take this division. That means you can get back into contention quickly if you make some shrewd moves. There have been several examples this decade:

1. The Tigers sucked in '05. They went to the World Series in '06.
2. The Indians sucked in '06. They were one win away from making the World Series in '07.
3. The Sox sucked in '07. They won the division in '08.

If you want assurances that the Sox will be back in the hunt in 2011, I can't give you that. KW has his work cut out for him, no question. All I'm saying is, the task isn't impossible. I've lost some confidence in KW, because I feel he's had two miserable offseasons in a row. We all see the results. But I am interested to see what he does to fix this mess.

Nelfox02
06-03-2010, 01:48 AM
But I am interested to see what he does to fix this mess.

This is one thing I will very much agree with you on, cant wait to see what KW does to address the problems.

I also agree that the turning around your fortunes in the AL Central in one year is not impossible, and history proves that, but this team has so many holes and appears to be so short on ammo (cash, young talent) to address them

I hope I am wrong, but I fear that 2011 is going to be more rough waters. Bad team === bad attendance ==== low payroll ==== bad team....and they cycle repeats? it just feels like we are in a really tough position now

JB98
06-03-2010, 02:03 AM
This is one thing I will very much agree with you on, cant wait to see what KW does to address the problems.

I also agree that the turning around your fortunes in the AL Central in one year is not impossible, and history proves that, but this team has so many holes and appears to be so short on ammo (cash, young talent) to address them

I hope I am wrong, but I fear that 2011 is going to be more rough waters. Bad team === bad attendance ==== low payroll ==== bad team....and they cycle repeats? it just feels like we are in a really tough position now

We are in a bad position, no question. You've got a mostly veteran team playing very poorly. You've got little talent coming in the minors, and you've got a large segment of the fan base that just hates this team and probably won't attend many games the rest of the season.

The trades KW makes over the next couple months are just a huge key. He can't just dump salary. He's gotta get some pieces that the Sox can use in 2011. Also, a one-year turnaround takes a little luck. Think back to 2008 --- we got unexpected strong contributions from younger players like Quentin, Ramirez and Floyd.

Those three guys have all regressed since then, and that's part of the reason we're swimming in **** creek right now. To get this thing turned around, it isn't all on management. You gotta have some players step up and take responsibility for their ****ing careers.

I think sometimes Sox fans (and I'm as guilty as anyone, I include myself in this) spend too much time blaming managers, coaches, owners, front-office people, etc. A little more blame should be placed on the players. We've got some guys who are just playing (and pitching) like ****ing dog**** right now.

I don't think many of us here thought Buehrle, Peavy and Floyd would all suck this season. Guys do have bad years, so maybe you have one guy in your rotation who isn't holding up his end of the bargain. This team has three. That's not KW's fault, or Ozzie's fault, or Coop's fault. Those three guys are veterans who have had success before, and it's up to them to pull their heads out of their asses and play ball.

SluggersAway
06-03-2010, 02:28 AM
It is funny that everyone that is pissing their pants on June 3rd will be drooling for White Sox baseball by April 3rd next year.

masloan
06-03-2010, 05:31 AM
Hitting is no longer the problem.

Yea it is! If they hit better they would be able to score more runs than the other team!

BadBobbyJenks
06-03-2010, 05:34 AM
I dont want to be that team in between contending and rebuilding. Got to blow this thing up, this year.

wassagstdu
06-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Kotsay pinch hitting for Beckham in the 9th? That is total bull****.

konerko 14
06-03-2010, 07:34 AM
We want Lillibridge!! We want Lillibridge!!:D:

LITTLE NELL
06-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Its a sad state of affairs when you are 8 games under .500 and the kids aren't even out of school yet. Whats there to look forward to up there for the rest of the summer?
Alluding to another thread this team will lose at least 90 games, I'm waiting for a glimmer of hope but there is none.

DrCrawdad
06-03-2010, 08:09 AM
The contracts to Peavy, Teahen and, frankly, Rios, coupled with a near absence of real talent in the farm, make it problematic.

It is also why THIS trading season is key, absolutely key.
No one will convince me that a savvy Williams couldn't get some real talent for Thornton....who's 34 and a gamble whether he will "still have it" by the time that will be important again for this team.

But he can't give away ML starters for Juan Pierre anymore.

Ain't that true!

Its a sad state of affairs when you are 8 games under .500 and the kids aren't even out of school yet. Whats there to look forward to up there for the rest of the summer?
Alluding to another thread this team will lose at least 90 games, I'm waiting for a glimmer of hope but there is none.

I expect the Sox to start unloading after June 14th.

SOXSINCE'70
06-03-2010, 08:27 AM
I first became a Sox fan in 1970. That team won 56 games, a franchise worst.
There are games where I wonder if this team is capable of winning 56 games..
Hate to be a dark cloud, but things don't look good right now.:(:

stevied23
06-03-2010, 09:38 AM
I first became a Sox fan in 1970. That team won 56 games, a franchise worst.
There are games where I wonder if this team is capable of winning 56 games..
Hate to be a dark cloud, but things don't look good right now.:(:

I figure they'll win about 70-72 games. It's time to back the truck up, that's for sure.

tstrike2000
06-03-2010, 10:19 AM
:thumbsup: to Frater's thread title.

bunty_doghunter
06-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Its hard, but I always remember what my Grandfather used to say to me - "stick with the White Sox".
No doubt Gramps was quite the fashion guy. Just avoid the sandals. :redneck

bunty_doghunter
06-03-2010, 11:10 AM
A split on the road against the best team in the league is acceptable.
Except if the team you are chasing is sweeping.

CLUBHOUSE KID
06-03-2010, 12:07 PM
We are in a bad position, no question. You've got a mostly veteran team playing very poorly. You've got little talent coming in the minors, and you've got a large segment of the fan base that just hates this team and probably won't attend many games the rest of the season.

The trades KW makes over the next couple months are just a huge key. He can't just dump salary. He's gotta get some pieces that the Sox can use in 2011. Also, a one-year turnaround takes a little luck. Think back to 2008 --- we got unexpected strong contributions from younger players like Quentin, Ramirez and Floyd.

Those three guys have all regressed since then, and that's part of the reason we're swimming in **** creek right now. To get this thing turned around, it isn't all on management. You gotta have some players step up and take responsibility for their ****ing careers.

I think sometimes Sox fans (and I'm as guilty as anyone, I include myself in this) spend too much time blaming managers, coaches, owners, front-office people, etc. A little more blame should be placed on the players. We've got some guys who are just playing (and pitching) like ****ing dog**** right now.

I don't think many of us here thought Buehrle, Peavy and Floyd would all suck this season. Guys do have bad years, so maybe you have one guy in your rotation who isn't holding up his end of the bargain. This team has three. That's not KW's fault, or Ozzie's fault, or Coop's fault. Those three guys are veterans who have had success before, and it's up to them to pull their heads out of their asses and play ball.

Exactly. I do not care what anyone says. This is a GOOD TEAM but it playing like ****! Just look at the rotation.

pudge
06-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Because it's summer and summer is baseball. Granted, once the World Cup kicks off my interest will probably wane, but afterwards it'll be all about baseball again.

:shrug:

Yes, when I was 20 summer was all about baseball no matter how bad the team sucked, so I get it. Fifteen years later, I can't waste my time on this crap.

downstairs
06-03-2010, 03:00 PM
My only hope now is a few of our stars can heat it up for a few weeks so their trade value is higher.

Blow it up. Its over. We're not going to the playoffs.

Fire sale time.

dickallen15
06-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Exactly. I do not care what anyone says. This is a GOOD TEAM but it playing like ****! Just look at the rotation.
Its not a good team yet. We hear this every failed year how the Sox are a good team that just didn't hit its stride. That's a bunch of BS. What makes a team a good team is wins. Not looking good on paper.

kittle42
06-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Its not a good team yet. We hear this every failed year how the Sox are a good team that just didn't hit its stride. That's a bunch of BS. What makes a team a good team is wins. Not looking good on paper.

They never looked good on paper, either.

WhiteSox5187
06-03-2010, 03:16 PM

That rotation and bullpen sure as hell did. The defense was iffy with Teahen at third and Quentin in right, but you figured with that rotation and if everyone hit their career norms we would be up there. The problem is the rotation has been less than stellar of late, the offense has been non-existent until recently and the defense has been atrocious all around (mainly at third and in right though).

Kenny was gambling big on production from Beckham and Quentin. Beckham is in his second year and had an awful lot of pressure cast upon him and Quentin is a career .250 hitter with a history of injury. It was a big gamble to say the least.

Hitmen77
06-03-2010, 03:52 PM

It wasn't great on paper, but certainly better than this steaming pile of **** that is presented to us night after night.

Two big problems are:

1. The Sox are not going to be able to consistently compete unless they start producing at least some home grown talent. We can't continue to just fill our roster by signing bargain FAs and trading not-so-highly-rated prospects.

2. There has to be something fundamentally wrong with this team in that it has been under performing for 4 years and continues to be terrible at fundamentals. Players come and go and it's the same result. There is something wrong with the way this team is managed, coached, and put together year after year.

Until we start producing home grown stars of our own and until management is held accountable for a poorly run team, we're not going to look good on paper and we're not going to perform better than we should on paper.

tstrike2000
06-03-2010, 03:56 PM

Well, not right now looking at the state of the overall offense and seeing a hitter like .200 Kotsay in the lineup seemingly everyday.

JB98
06-03-2010, 04:09 PM

Well, it's a good pitching staff. At least it should be a good pitching staff. I don't know that it's a good team.

I said before the year I thought we had championship-caliber pitching, backed by a second-division group of position players. That usually leads to mediocrity. But the "championship-caliber pitching" has fallen well short of expectations.

The ****ty pitching, IMO, is the fault of the pitchers. These guys haven't done what they are supposed to do, not even close. Unless you are a Sox-hating troll, you could not have predicted that Buehrle, Peavy and Floyd (and Jenks, too, for that matter) would all suck.

The ****ty offense and defense, IMO, is the fault of management. Sox fans have been shouting since the winter about this idiotic "rotating DH" plan. Predictably, that's blown up in their faces. Thinking that the addition of Teahen would improve the infield defense was also foolish, and everybody knew it -- except for the Sox, unfortunately.

palehozenychicty
06-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Given the state of the free agent market in baseball right now, there are definitely some deals to be had. The Sox obviously have zero talent in their system, but there will be some interesting players out there and, as it has been noted, this is notoriously the worst division in baseball. We're not competing with the Yankees or Phillies... We're competing with the Twins, Tigers, Indians, and Royals. No reason this team shouldn't be able to jump back into some sort competitive mode quickly, hopefully, sans this boneheaded "NL-style, No-DH" garbage philosophy coming from the manager's office.

This is part of the problem. We can build a team good enough to squeak in the postseason within a year, but I'd prefer a team that can seriously contend with the best. If they have to get new management, change the philosophy and rebuild the organization, I'm fine with that. Reinsdorf's loyalty is an impediment to this possibility, though. This franchise should be the class of this division. They play in the biggest market by far.

soxinem1
06-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Despite all the predictions, there was one we never, ever realized would happen:

Did ANYONE think Carlos Silva would have a better year all-around than any starter on the White Sox? That is how bad our guys have been performing.

SI1020
06-03-2010, 08:20 PM
It wasn't great on paper, but certainly better than this steaming pile of **** that is presented to us night after night.

Two big problems are:

1. The Sox are not going to be able to consistently compete unless they start producing at least some home grown talent. We can't continue to just fill our roster by signing bargain FAs and trading not-so-highly-rated prospects.

2. There has to be something fundamentally wrong with this team in that it has been under performing for 4 years and continues to be terrible at fundamentals. Players come and go and it's the same result. There is something wrong with the way this team is managed, coached, and put together year after year.

Until we start producing home grown stars of our own and until management is held accountable for a poorly run team, we're not going to look good on paper and we're not going to perform better than we should on paper. Excellent post.