PDA

View Full Version : Have you found a lot of comraderie this year with Cubs fans?

tony1972
06-02-2010, 06:30 PM
One thing I've noticed with both the Cubs and Sox playing so badly...is that I've found a lot of comraderie with Cubs fans. Usually every summer we go back and forth about which team is better...and try to one up the other with insults (your stadium stinks, your team stinks, we have better attendance, we care about baseball, etc.).

This year is completely different. I'm finding that I have never gotten along with Cubs fans better than any other summer. Every day we joke about how bad our teams are. This is one of the first times I can remember that we are not insulting each other..but are generally getting along.

I guess this is one of the few positives with both teams playing badly. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered the same with their Cubs fans friends, family and co-workers?:scratch:

DumpJerry
06-02-2010, 06:34 PM
No.

Sam Spade
06-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Yes.

DumpJerry
06-02-2010, 06:40 PM
I did offer one guy a swap of our remaining games with the Twins for their remaining games with the Pirates. He is taking it under consideration.

WhiteSox5187
06-02-2010, 06:45 PM
No.

SephClone89
06-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I'd say a little.

GoGoCrede
06-02-2010, 06:57 PM
No. I don't have too many friends who are hardcore Cubs fans, though.

robertks61
06-02-2010, 07:07 PM
No, they still don't realize their team sux and still talk smack. I've heard the song go cubs go a few times in the morning after victories in the office building.

Sam Spade
06-02-2010, 07:13 PM
No, they still don't realize their team sux and still talk smack. I've heard the song go cubs go a few times in the morning after victories in the office building.

People really play that song outside of wrigley field?

In any other economy, I would quit my job if I had to hear that song 2-3 times a week.

GoGoCrede
06-02-2010, 07:14 PM
I think the rivalry has cooled since 2008, when both teams were doing well and it was the Cubs' "year." Now, we both suck and while the games will still be sellouts, it's not quite as exciting.

theamb
06-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Losing brings us together, winning tears us apart

Law11
06-03-2010, 10:30 AM
I think its just the realization from both groups that our teams flat out suck it and the crosstown games are basically to see who sucks the least over those few games.

And So glad BP is the Sponsor of the Crosstown Cup... Talk about a trophy no one will want.

AnkleSox
06-03-2010, 11:23 AM
I'm able to find comraderie with my friends no matter what sports team they root for. That said, there hasn't been much in the way of arguing Sox/Cubs lately.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-03-2010, 12:38 PM
I find parallels. Comaradie means I accept going to a ballpark to drink and soak up the sun and NOT pay attention to baseball. No.

Risk
06-03-2010, 01:54 PM
No. I take no comraderie with fans of any other losing franchise.

Risk

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Every Cubs fan I know has completely moved on from them this year. No smack talk or anything bad about the Sox. Now they're all rooting for the Hawks.

TDog
06-03-2010, 02:10 PM
No.

Most die-hard Cubs fans still believe there should be only a National League baseball team in Chicago. That doesn't change when both teams are losing.

But when both teams are losing, the die hard fans seem metaphorically to be curled up in a ball in a corner somewhere.

Hitmen77
06-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Nope. They were total jags even when the Sox were reigning World Champs and their team was sucking in 2006. Why in the world would they be any better this year when both of our teams suck?

Why would losing humble Cubs fans? Remember, it's all about attendance, celebrity 7th inning stretches, and Wrigley Field.

ShoelessJoeS
06-03-2010, 02:38 PM
I would say yes. Most of my Cub fan friends have accepted that the Cubs blow. We have something in common at least. There's nothing worse than when the Sox are having a bad year, and the Cubs are doing the opposite.

Thank God for the Hawks.

October26
06-03-2010, 03:15 PM
No.

It would be my dream come true if I did not have to interact with any Cubs fans ever again. Unfortunately, that’s not gonna happen anytime soon, since I live and work in Chicago. The Cubs fans that I know from my work, in my neighborhood, on fakebook, and friends of friends, etc. all tell me constantly how lucky they are to be Cubs fans since "everybody in the whole world" loves the Cubs. Plus, they get to go to a real stadium (Wrigley Field), unlike us poor sucker Sox fans who are stuck going to the Cell. I am harassed for wearing Sox shirts and often asked what I am doing wearing “those ghetto rags.”

jdm2662
06-03-2010, 03:44 PM
I really don't care to be honost. The ones that actually watch the game know they suck. The ones that act like it's a crime not being a Cubbie fan, well, I will still laugh at them. How dare I not root for the cute and cuddley Cubbies.

Hitmen77
06-03-2010, 04:16 PM
I really don't care to be honost. The ones that actually watch the game know they suck. The ones that act like it's a crime not being a Cubbie fan, well, I will still laugh at them. How dare I not root for the cute and cuddley Cubbies.

Exactly. These are the loudmouths that never change and seem to outnumber the "regular" Cub fans.

BadBobbyJenks
06-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Actually yes, I have not been in any of my usual arguments with my Cubs fan friends. Its usually been we both suck, how bout them Hawks?

ShoelessJoeS
06-03-2010, 04:29 PM
No.

It would be my dream come true if I did not have to interact with any Cubs fans ever again. Unfortunately, that’s not gonna happen anytime soon, since I live and work in Chicago. The Cubs fans that I know from my work, in my neighborhood, on fakebook, and friends of friends, etc. all tell me constantly how lucky they are to be Cubs fans since "everybody in the whole world" loves the Cubs. Plus, they get to go to a real stadium (Wrigley Field), unlike us poor sucker Sox fans who are stuck going to the Cell. I am harassed for wearing Sox shirts and often asked what I am doing wearing “those ghetto rags.”Yikes! How ignorant can you be? Thankfully I don't have to deal with that type of Cub "fan"

kobo
06-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Actually yes, I have not been in any of my usual arguments with my Cubs fan friends. Its usually been we both suck, how bout them Hawks?
Same here. In fact I had the same exact conversation multiple times over the weekend.

g0g0
06-03-2010, 04:34 PM
If you are a Cubs fan you are suffering like any other fan out there whose team hasn't won squat in forever. That is why I was so glad to see the Red Sox finally win one a few years ago. Now I could care less. But I don't mind them. You have jerks on any team and there are some really knowledgeable Cubs fans out there. The rowdy Wrigley drunks who think the games just to socialize put a bad spin on things.

white sox bill
06-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Its not an issue when I'm at my cheesehead home, not many cub fans. Now back in Flatland, the majority of my friends are cub fans. We have no problem w/eachother and often joke around about it. It ends there and I certainly don't escalate anything more.

After all in the big picture its only a game.

jdm2662
06-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Exactly. These are the loudmouths that never change and seem to outnumber the "regular" Cub fans.

And what's even funnier, when they say oh Sox fans go to games, I always ask, how many games have you been to the last few years? I always have them out numbered...

Frankfan4life
06-03-2010, 05:10 PM
I have to agree. Today a cubfan stopped by my desk to commiserate about our mutually bad seasons. If the cubs were doing well, he would have been insufferable.

Misery loves company so I'm so happy the cubs are doing bad too. :D:

doublem23
06-03-2010, 05:12 PM
No

harwar
06-03-2010, 05:23 PM
I don't know .. i have old friends who are serious cub fans and i haven't noticed us arguing any less ..

Boondock Saint
06-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Not an ounce.

downstairs
06-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Absolutely. I don't hate Cubs fans, a lot of my good friends like the Cubs. We're in a similar boat.

Without a paddle.

soxlady8
06-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Yes , my family and friends are much more cordial when it comes to the Sox/Cubs rivalry.

MY Cardinal friends and family members really feel sorry for me :(

theamb
06-03-2010, 06:10 PM
At the end of the day, it's just sports.

Losing bring us together, winning tear us apart

thomas35forever
06-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Nobody seems to be getting on each other. Probably because they can't say they have much of a better or worse team than the other.

RadioheadRocks
06-04-2010, 03:38 AM

Amen. Actually they still love to call our team the "WHITE SUX" and continue talking smack despite their team not winning jack **** in over 100 years.

Count me among the "no" camp.

Dan H
06-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Amen. Actually they still love to call our team the "WHITE SUX" and continue talking smack despite their team not winning jack **** in over 100 years.

You're right. The century thing doesn't stop them, and I find that amazing. They just don't have any shame.

WhiteSox1989
06-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Nobody seems to be getting on each other. Probably because they can't say they have much of a better or worse team than the other.
My co-workers still manage to talk **** to me about how bad the "Sux" are.

LongLiveFisk
06-04-2010, 03:09 PM

"Sux". How original. :rolleyes:

TDog
06-04-2010, 05:50 PM
I'm sure the interleague games the Sox play at Wrigley this year will be a great lovefest.

I didn't feel a special kinship with Cubs fans in September of 1969, and they didn't show any respect for my loyalties.

For you younger viewers, I didn't feel any kinship with Cubs fans on the last two days of the 2003 season. As I recall, the WSI chat room was fired up for that last game of the NLCS, and sympathy and sharing in the misery of losing was the last thing on the minds of White Sox fans chatting there.

Warriorjan
06-05-2010, 10:46 AM
I think both sets of fans should agree that we'll all wear bags on our heads during our games with each other this year.

Hitmen77
06-05-2010, 11:27 AM

...and yet, they'll claim that it's only Sox fans who hate the Cubs, but Cubs fans don't care either way about the Sox. :rolleyes: What a bunch of liars.

You're right. The century thing doesn't stop them, and I find that amazing. They just don't have any shame.

Bingo!

MARTINMVP
06-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Everyone else I know, Sox or Cub fan, is talking about the Blackhawks now. Most people have moved on from any baseball talk.

GlassSox
06-05-2010, 01:02 PM
No

WhiteSox56
06-05-2010, 01:07 PM
A little. Most people at the office are cubbie fans. Actually most people at my office are "I like to party, get drunk, and yell at baseball games bandwagon cub fans". They make sure you know they are cub fans when they win. They are talking less, which I guess counts as less arguing. A few redbird fans make getting through the day a little easier.

Shoeless
06-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Yes , my family and friends are much more cordial when it comes to the Sox/Cubs rivalry.

MY Cardinal friends and family members really feel sorry for me :(

I'll feel bad for them when their team explodes from bulging contracts the next couple of years.

WLL1855
06-07-2010, 04:49 AM
Generally speaking, things have been a bit less hostile this year.

I've got the pleasure of having a couple 'cub fan' friends that actually have a great understanding of the game and we treat each other with mutual respect concering our teams (I'm probably in the minority, I know).

We agree that both teams are pretty bad this year.

Don't get me wrong. There are still legions of Cub Fans that are still drinking the Kool-Aid. Whatever works for them I guess. I gave up trying to talk some sense into them years ago.

Uncle_Patrick
06-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Not really. The Cubs fans that I know that are hardcore and knowledgeable about baseball, they don't want to talk about it. Occasionally, we will groan about the respective failures of our teams, but we don't talk about it too much, and we'll usually switch the topic to other baseball happenings or hockey. I still catch grief from the "oh, yay Cubbies, I love Wrigley Field!"-type fans. The conversation usually goes like this:

Them: "Haha, the Cubs are better than the Sox this year!"
Me: "They both are terrible this year and both under .500."
Them: "Yeah, but the Cubs are doing a little better than the Sox."
Me: "Ok...":rolleyes:

Red Barchetta
06-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Nope. I don't bond over losing teams and sharing stories of frustration. I simply keep my mouth shut. Cub fans might feel some form of connection. Remember when they adopted the Red Sox in 2004 and the Red Sox fans never understood the connection? :scratch:

Thank God for the Blackhawks extended season. Next, mini-camp.

LongLiveFisk
06-07-2010, 06:24 PM

Remember when they adopted the Red Sox in 2004 and the Red Sox fans never understood the connection? :scratch:

You mean the RED SUX?

SephClone89
06-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Thank God for the Blackhawks extended season. Next, mini-camp.

:puking:

vinny
06-08-2010, 03:06 PM
No. And I doubt I will feel any comraderie as long as the Cubs continue get ridiculous amounts of coverage in the local media.

Fer crissakes, not one of the local channels even mentioned Konerko getting POTW back at the end of April; it was bigger news that Zambrano was going to the pen. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-08-2010, 05:30 PM
With both our teams being bad and the Hawks doing so well. This is the least interest I've ever had in the crosstown series.

You'll probably see more Hawks gear in the stands than Cubs or Sox.

WhiteSoxFan84
06-09-2010, 01:16 AM
Yes. I'm sure it's been mentioned before (I just skimmed through page 1) but I'm willing to bet that the success of the Hawks has a lot to do with Cubs and Sox fans not arguing. Just wait until the Hawks win the Stanley Cup tonight and the weekend series will intensify.

soltrain21
06-09-2010, 07:53 AM
No. And I doubt I will feel any comraderie as long as the Cubs continue get ridiculous amounts of coverage in the local media.

Fer crissakes, not one of the local channels even mentioned Konerko getting POTW back at the end of April; it was bigger news that Zambrano was going to the pen. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Uh, Zambrano WAS bigger news. Who cares about player of the week?

vinny
06-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Uh, Zambrano WAS bigger news. Who cares about player of the week?
Bigger news for who? Cubs fans? I don't give a **** about Zambrano. If he was going to be turned into an effective reliever (like Smoltz when he went to the bullpen for Atlanta for several years), then maybe it's a story. Otherwise, it's the equivalent of being sent down for a month to clear your head when the GM doesn't know what else to do with you and the ****ty season you're having. If Beckham were sent down to Charlotte for a month, would it rate multiple days of mention in the news?

My point is that even when the Sox have some positive news, they get little to no mention. Lou Piniella has his prostate checked and nothing is found - OMG that's front page news. The experience of being a Sox fan in Chicago vs being a Cubs fan, especially considering the lack of attention and respect given the Sox, simply means that when both teams are having sucky seasons, it's not going to provide me a bonding experience with Cubs fans.

soltrain21
06-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Bigger news for who? Cubs fans? I don't give a **** about Zambrano. If he was going to be turned into an effective reliever (like Smoltz when he went to the bullpen for Atlanta for several years), then maybe it's a story. Otherwise, it's the equivalent of being sent down for a month to clear your head when the GM doesn't know what else to do with you and the ****ty season you're having. If Beckham were sent down to Charlotte for a month, would it rate multiple days of mention in the news?

My point is that even when the Sox have some positive news, they get little to no mention. Lou Piniella has his prostate checked and nothing is found - OMG that's front page news. The experience of being a Sox fan in Chicago vs being a Cubs fan, especially considering the lack of attention and respect given the Sox, simply means that when both teams are having sucky seasons, it's not going to provide me a bonding experience with Cubs fans.

I must have missed when the Cubs were no longer a team from Chicago that the Chicago media covered, so yes, it is a story for Cubs fans who also, gasp, share the city with us.

And Beckham would not get the same media coverage, no, and for good reason. Beckham is a second year player who is struggling. Zambrano is an 18 million dollar player who is supposed to be the ace of the team.

There are plenty of things to get "bent out of shape" about. This is not one of them.

Edit - And seriously, POTW? I couldn't name you one other POTW in baseball, and the only reason I know of Paulie's is because of this place.

doublem23
06-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Bigger news for who? Cubs fans? I don't give a **** about Zambrano. If he was going to be turned into an effective reliever (like Smoltz when he went to the bullpen for Atlanta for several years), then maybe it's a story. Otherwise, it's the equivalent of being sent down for a month to clear your head when the GM doesn't know what else to do with you and the ****ty season you're having.

I'm pretty sure if Buehrle or Peavy were sent down or moved to the bullpen, it would be a huge story, too.

cub killer
06-09-2010, 10:22 AM
I feel no camaraderie with them. They have to win a WS to have any understanding of our fan experience. It's a little too late for us to go 102 years without a title so we can understand them.

SOXPHILE
06-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Absolutely not. They can collectively all go jump in Lake Michigan.

SephClone89
06-09-2010, 11:58 AM
I feel no camaraderie with them. They have to win a WS to have any understanding of our fan experience. It's a little too late for us to go 102 years without a title so we can understand them.

Okay, but at one point they'd gone 96 years and we'd gone 87. Is there really that much of a difference?

(Hint: the answer is no)

Absolutely not. They can collectively all go jump in Lake Michigan. I understand that we don't like the Cubs and everything, but they are human beings. MOD EDIT

GoSox2K3
07-08-2010, 07:51 PM
What are Cubs fans saying now? :redneck

Frater Perdurabo
07-08-2010, 09:15 PM
What are Cubs fans saying now? :redneck

"But we still have more fans than you because your ballpark sucks!" :rolleyes:

flo-B-flo
07-08-2010, 11:05 PM
no

RadioheadRocks
07-08-2010, 11:09 PM
"But we still have more fans than you because your ballpark sucks!" :rolleyes:

Because we all know that popularity, celebrity bandwagon jumpers and mythical attendance and tv ratings championships are FAR more important than championship caliber baseball. :rolleyes:

Hitmen77
07-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Many of the Cubs fans I know are just fed up with their team. I don't hear too much talk from them anymore. The whole Zambrano incident was just the latest embarrassment for that franchise - and it happened in front of the White Sox to boot.

SOXfnNlansing
07-11-2010, 08:14 PM
With the Sox in first place now, we have nothing in common with the cubs or their fans. When this thread was started, both teams were mired in 3-4th place and losing baseball. Now as the standings are, the Sox are 10.5 games ahead of the Chicago NL team, and I see their new ownership chopping heads, and their fans heading to the hills hoping for a White Sox collapse. Nothing's changed imo. :bandance:

soxlady8
07-11-2010, 08:46 PM
My Cub fan friends and I really do not discuss baseball much anymore.
When the Sox were doing poorly , we chatted on the subject way more.
NOW since the Sox are in first place , we have nothing in common when it comes to baseball.

Rdy2PlayBall
07-11-2010, 08:54 PM
My Cub fan friends and I really do not discuss baseball much anymore.
When the Sox were doing poorly , we chatted on the subject way more.
NOW since the Sox are in first place , we have nothing in common when it comes to baseball.Exact same with me. :tongue:

slavko
07-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Camaraderie? With Cubs fans? You're kidding. I have no empathy for them. No matter how bad we both are at any time. Even if I say so to avoid being insulting to someone I don't want to offend.

GoGoCrede
07-11-2010, 10:07 PM
I understand that we don't like the Cubs and everything, but they are human beings. MOD EDIT

Pretty sure it was just an exaggeration.....

guillensdisciple
07-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Um, not really.

My parents have it rough though, I come home with a smile everyday- they have to hear about the Cubs.

Ron Karkovice
07-11-2010, 11:19 PM
SOME cubs fans are good peoples/ smart baseball people who are hating what is going on. Lets no generalize hardcore here.

Woofer
07-11-2010, 11:29 PM
The Cubs fans that I know pretty much stopped talking baseball around the time we won the BP cup.