PDA

View Full Version : Tigers trade Willis to D Backs

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Headline on MSN: "Tigers trade 29M bust to Arizona".

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Diamondbacks-sign-Dontrelle-Willis-060110?GT1=39002

munchman33
06-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Good luck to him, perhaps a return to the N.L. will help him regain his confidence.

06-02-2010, 12:46 PM
At least he can hopefully swing a stick again. He was a good hitter.

theamb
06-02-2010, 02:44 PM
I can't believe Detroit was actually able to trade him

Even with picking up nearly all his salary

Oblong
06-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Start the fire sale!

TDog
06-02-2010, 03:22 PM
I saw Buckner's last start with the Diamondbacks against the Giants. Buckner made the Giants look like an offensive juggernaut. I honestly don't see how he is an upgrade over Willis. Buckner might end up in the bullpen, but Willis would probably be a better bullpen option for a team.

Willis was one of the two youngest southpaws since 1968 to win 20 games, doing that at age 23. Vida Blue was a 20-game winner at 22, in the days when teams had four-man rotations. At least Willis has gotten major league hitters out in his lifetime. If this isn't a salary dump, I don't see how this trade benefits Tigers.

theamb
06-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Have you seen Dontrelle Willis since that 20-game win season?

Nice guy..but the Tigers would have a better chance of running out Rick Ankiel or Brian Anderson on the mound than Willis.

It was a pure salary dump

Frankfan4life
06-02-2010, 05:09 PM
I wish Dontrelle well. I enjoyed watching him pitch when he was with the Marlins. I don't know if his anxiety issues were the reason for his pitching decline or the result of it. He's a class act and I hope he finds a solution to whatever is hampering his pitching performance and returns to his 2005 form with the DBacks.

doublem23
06-02-2010, 05:20 PM
If the Tigers can find a buyer for Dontrelle, that really makes me feel better about our impending fire sale.

eriqjaffe
06-02-2010, 05:38 PM
I saw Buckner's last start with the Diamondbacks against the Giants. Buckner made the Giants look like an offensive juggernaut. I honestly don't see how he is an upgrade over Willis.$

It's a salary dump. It also frees up some money for the Tigers should they opt to try and trade for a big name, I would think.

eriqjaffe
06-02-2010, 05:39 PM
If the Tigers can find a buyer for Dontrelle, that really makes me feel better about our impending fire sale.You mean the one where we're interested in Mike Lowell? :?:

PorkChopExpress
06-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Have you seen Dontrelle Willis since that 20-game win season?

Nice guy..but the Tigers would have a better chance of running out Rick Ankiel or Brian Anderson on the mound than Willis.

It was a pure salary dump

How is it a salary dump if they are picking up all but the prorated league minimum? They're saving a few hundred thousand dollars. It's just a way to cut him loose while still getting something, good or bad, back.

TDog
06-02-2010, 08:39 PM
How is it a salary dump if they are picking up all but the prorated league minimum? They're saving a few hundred thousand dollars. It's just a way to cut him loose while still getting something, good or bad, back.

That's the way I understand it. Effectively, it was as if the Tigers released Willis and he was signed by another team. They picked up Buckner, who is probably making the minimum, so the Tigers payroll doesn't change at all.

I would be surprised if Buckner ever develops into more than a reliever he can eat a couple of innings here and there when the game isn't on the line. Considering there seems no change in their payroll, Willis could have provided more out of the bullpen for an inning or two at a time.

I could be wrong, but I don't expect much out of Buckner, and Willis usually doesn't have problems the first time throught the order.

thomas35forever
06-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Certainly a sorry chapter in Tigers history. They should be glad they can close the book on it.

doublem23
06-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Certainly a sorry chapter in Tigers history. They should be glad they can close the book on it.

Whatever, he got them Miggy. Tiger fans can console themselves with that.

DSpivack
06-03-2010, 01:18 AM
Whatever, he got them Miggy. Tiger fans can console themselves with that.

That he did, but why they then signed him to an extension I don't know.

doublem23
06-03-2010, 02:03 AM
That he did, but why they then signed him to an extension I don't know.

That I can't explain, but I think even those who weren't wild about the D-Train coming to the American League would have been shocked as to how quickly and thoroughly his career fell apart after moving to Detroit. It's too bad, too, since Dontrelle has always seemed like a genuinely nice guy who just lost it.

Oh well, dude's got a couple million bucks and a World Series ring for his trouble.