PDA

View Full Version : *Official* We Get Smoaked Again After A Win 6/1 TEX vs White Sox Postgame Thread

soxinem1
06-01-2010, 10:28 PM
We are 4-18 now after wins this year.:angry:

Runners stranded everywhere!!!:angry:

Santos picked the worst time to have his worst game of the year.:(:

June is off to a great start already.:angry:

Mr. Hyde was claimed at the airport after all.:angry:

Nelfox02
06-01-2010, 10:29 PM
that was the perfect way for that game to end

Linebrink blows---then you get some nice good drama in the ninth that ends with nothng nothing

AnkleSox
06-01-2010, 10:30 PM
This team blows.

sox1970
Shouldn't Andruw Jones be pinch hitting there with two outs? Hello? You're down 3 runs.

JermaineDye05
"My eyes! The goggles do nothing!!"

ndgt10
06-01-2010, 10:31 PM
I thought that ball was gone when Omar hit in.

WhiteSox56
06-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Don't worry, we will get on a hot streak:scratch:

WhiteSox5187
Well...typical. That game kinda defines the season right there.

First off, Walker needs to be fired tonight. I'm so sick of this ****ing offense. Secondly, I'd start listening to offers for anyone and everyone. Thirdly, if this team can't turn it around by the 15th of June, I start dealing. Fourthly, I tell Ozzie to get ready to find new employment at the end of the year. Fifthly, Kenny should start updating his resume as well.

sox1970

And then you realized 43-year-old Omar Vizquel hit the ball.

soxinem1

I thought it was hit right at someone, much the way nearly 80% of the balls hit in play by White Sox batters this year have been.

Tragg
06-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Another big day for Ozzie's handpicked DH, who now sports an obp of below .300, in the finest traditions of dewayne wise.
Ozzie's special eye for talent continues to pay dividends.

veeter
I don't know what to say. This game would have been sweet. This team lets off the gas, they don't put anyone away.

Frater Perdurabo
What a waste of 3.5 hours. If the Sox lose this series it's really time to back up the truck and rebuild.

This is not "White Flag 2." That 1997 team actually was just 3 games back, was getting Ventura back, and had been good in 1996.

This team was under .500 last year, will be getting Mark Teahen back at some point, and already is buried in third place, unable to win even two games in a row.

Paulie, AJ and Pierre, your planes are boarding now. Jenks, Putz and Linebrink, you're getting moved in July.

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Another big day for Ozzie's handpicked DH, who now sports an obp of below .300, in the finest traditions of dewayne wise.

You know, Jones isn't doing much better. He had a .288 OBP in May.

Madscout
06-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Alexi has to be the dumbest player ever. That's about the 4th time seen him come up with the pitcher struggling to buy a strike, and he swings at the first damn pitch. God, I hate this team.

Huisj
06-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Ok, so Vizquel had 2 hits, but still, why is he up there batting with the bases loaded in that situation? The guy throwing is lethal against lefties, throws 99, and apparently is having trouble throwing strikes to righties...and so the Sox keep a weak old lefty in the box while there are righties with some power and abilities to hit fastball on the bench. :angry:

WhiteSox56
06-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Im sick of this ****ing ****. We had a 4-0 lead, and our pitching can't hold it. Late in the game, all we see are strikeouts by our guys and no clutch hits.

BadBobbyJenks
06-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Bad teams continue to lose games like this.

So much for a starting rotation that I thought would be top 5 in baseball.

SBSoxFan
06-01-2010, 10:39 PM
This is off topic, but is anyone watching the post game show? Frank is the size of 3 men. I'd be embarrassed to sit next to him in front of a camera.

On the game, the first time I turned it on, was the bottom of the 5th, just in time to watch them, once again, not score a runner from 2nd with 0 outs and from 3rd with 1 out. The next time I turned on the tv, the Sox were losing 8-6. I know the starting pitching sucked again tonight, but the offense sucked too, especially for having scored 6 runs. 6 runs should be an automatic W for this pitching staff.

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Ok, so Vizquel had 2 hits, but still, why is he up there batting with the bases loaded in that situation? The guy throwing is lethal against lefties, throws 99, and apparently is having trouble throwing strikes to righties...and so the Sox keep a weak old lefty in the box while there are righties with some power and abilities to hit fastball on the bench. :angry:

I don't get why Omar was up there, I don't get why Kotsay was up there. But I guess in the end, there aren't many better options. Jones isn't hitting .100 the past two weeks. Lillibridge isn't much better of an option. Castro wouldn't have done anything. Nix, maybe.

Jaffar
06-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Big Hurt sure does look good, can he still play?

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Im sick of this ****ing ****. We had a 4-0 lead, and our pitching can't hold it. Late in the game, all we see are strikeouts by our guys and no clutch hits.

Walkerball baby! Get your guys an early lead and if they can't hold it (whether it's 1 run or 4) it's on the pitchers!

Everything sucked tonight. Absolutely everything.

BadBobbyJenks
06-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Alexi has to be the dumbest player ever. That's about the 4th time seen him come up with the pitcher struggling to buy a strike, and he swings at the first damn pitch. God, I hate this team.

Alexei's rookie season is probably the best he is ever going to be. Lackadaisical in the field and far too impatient at the plate. I'd love to move on at short if we could find someone who sees something in him.

LongLiveFisk
06-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Big Hurt sure does look good, can he still play?

Why not? Hell, he's a year younger than Vizquel!

WhiteSox56
06-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Walkerball baby! Get your guys an early lead and if they can't hold it (whether it's 1 run or 4) it's on the pitchers!

Everything sucked tonight. Absolutely everything.

Walkerball needs to leave town:angry:

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Walkerball needs to leave town:angry:

It should leave tonight, but this organization is loyal to a fault.

Woofer
I have to give tonights blame to Buehrle and Santos, who couldn't hold the lead or stop the bleeding. Buehrle has been a huge disappointment this year, possibly a bigger one than Peavy or Quentin.

SBSoxFan

4/18 with RISP. :angry:

PhillipsBubba
Let's make Buehrle's dreams come true and trade him to the Cardinals real soon!

Huisj
06-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Jones isn't hitting .100 the past two weeks.

Nix, maybe.

I'd still take the chance with Jones. He did some big things earlier. Maybe a chance to do something in that situation could help a guy like him out to get back on track. And I'm sure him the box has a much bigger effect on the rookie pitcher struggling to throw strikes with the bases loaded than Vizquel.

And hmm, I recall a recent big hit by Nix...

Dick Allen
06-01-2010, 10:45 PM
I've had enough of Ozzie. Unless Jones is hurt, Ozzie should be fired. I can't believe he let Vizquel hit with two out in the ninth. And I'm tired of seeing Kotsay not only playing almost every day, but hitting in the 5 spot. All he did was come up with men on base and fail miserably. And as was mentioned in the game thread, Randy Williams should not be on a major league roster, let alone pitching in a one-run game. I mean, are we all crazy and he's a genius. I just don't get it.

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2010, 10:46 PM
I have to give tonights blame to Buehrle and Santos, who couldn't hold the lead or stop the bleeding. Buehrle has been a huge disappointment this year, possibly a bigger one than Peavy or Quentin.

There is no shortage of blame to go around. Yea, Buerhle sucked tonight (and has sucked most of this year), the bullpen was bad. But ****, we had Harden on the ropes early and couldn't knock him out and went 4 for ****ing 18 with runners in scoring position and we had some defensive lapses too. Other than that, we played well.

DirtySox
06-01-2010, 10:46 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing him dealt. Same with Thornton.

People are clamoring to rebuild, but are only willing to part with expensive pieces that won't provide anything noteworthy in return.

sox1970
06-01-2010, 10:47 PM

If he gets traded on July 1:

rest of 2010: 7.5 mil
2011: 15 mil
2012: 15 mil

Mark Buehrle isn't getting traded to any team.

We have him this year and next year at $14 mil/yr, and then he'll be gone.

Domeshot17
06-01-2010, 10:48 PM
How many guys did Kotsay leave on tonight? Felt like a small nation

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2010, 10:49 PM
I've had enough of Ozzie. Unless Jones is hurt, Ozzie should be fired. I can't believe he let Vizquel hit with two out in the ninth. And I'm tired of seeing Kotsay not only playing almost every day, but hitting in the 5 spot. All he did was come up with men on base and fail miserably. And as was mentioned in the game thread, Randy Williams should not be on a major league roster, let alone pitching in a one-run game. I mean, are we all crazy and he's a genius. I just don't get it.

You know for the past two weeks Jones hasn't even hit .100, right? You know that in the month of May has hit .179, right? Kotsay meanwhile has hit .270 the past two weeks and .259 in May. It seems pretty clear that Jones is repeating his nose dive after a nice April.

WhiteSox56

You can blame it on pitching tonight, but lets also not forget that we hacked at **** with runners on base late in the game. We had our shots to get some runners in and score. Tie the game, and possible win the damn game. Pitching sucked, and of course clutch hitting. They might as well not even lite up the bases yellow on TV anymore.

BadBobbyJenks
how many guys did kotsay leave on tonight? Felt like a small nation
9!

sox1970
06-01-2010, 10:51 PM
You know for the past two weeks Jones hasn't even hit .100, right? You know that in the month of May has hit .179, right? Kotsay meanwhile has hit .270 the past two weeks and .259 in May. It seems pretty clear that Jones is repeating his nose dive after a nice April.

I agree Jones sucks, but when there are two outs with the bases loaded, and your team is down 3 runs, you need to put somebody in there that can hit a gap or put the ball over the wall. It was ridiculous to have Omar up in that situation.

WhiteSox56
06-01-2010, 10:52 PM
I agree Jones sucks, but when there are two outs with the bases loaded, and your team is down 3 runs, you need to put somebody in there that can hit a gap or put the ball over the wall. It was ridiculous to have Omar up in that situation.

Omar did what he could. Ozzie ****ed up with that.

Coops4Aces
06-01-2010, 10:54 PM
You know your team is garbage when Omar Vizquel is due up with the game on the line and you don't even bother call for a pinch hitter* cause it will just delay the inevitable :whiner:

SBSoxFan
06-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Wow. I just looked at the standings. Texas was 8-15 on the road prior to this game. LAofA is 10-15 on the road, but 2-0 at the Cell.

Dick Allen

I don't give a damn what Jones and Kotsay are hitting this month. Kotsay is not an every-day player and certainly not a #5 hitter. On any other team's roster, he's a fill-in. With two outs in the ninth, we needed a big bat off the bench, which Jones could have provided.

WhiteSox56
You know your team is garbage when Omar Vizquel is due up with the game on the line and you don't even bother call for a pinch pitcher cause it will just delay the inevitable :whiner:

It felt that way. It is hard to watch, and this isn't what White Sox baseball is. Was Ozzie even watching the game?

soltrain21
06-01-2010, 10:58 PM
This sucks.

october23sp
06-01-2010, 10:59 PM
The reason I actually started the 100 games thread is because this team is just stupid, Quentin walked on 4 straight and Alexei swings at the next one.:?:

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2010, 11:01 PM
I don't give a damn what Jones and Kotsay are hitting this month. Kotsay is not an every-day player and certainly not a #5 hitter. On any other team's roster, he's a fill-in. With two outs in the ninth, we needed a big bat off the bench, which Jones could have provided.

Outside of a nice April, Jones is not much more of a hitter than Kotsay. There aren't a lot of good options on that bench. There aren't a lot of good options on the field either, and you know what? Kenny is in charge of assembling those guys on the field. This **** "Oh Ozzie only likes little slap hitters" is total bull****. What Ozzie really is asking for are some guys who can do little things, but then not have a line up of guys who are incapable of going from first to third or scoring from second on a single who are capable of playing good defense. What a concept, huh?!

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2010, 11:01 PM
The reason I actually started the 100 games thread is because this team is just stupid, Quentin walked on 4 straight and Alexei swings at the next one.:?:

Yea, I'm not sure what Alexei was thinking there.

WhiteSox56
06-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Outside of a nice April, Jones is not much more of a hitter than Kotsay. There aren't a lot of good options on that bench. There aren't a lot of good options on the field either, and you know what? Kenny is in charge of assembling those guys on the field. This **** "Oh Ozzie only likes little slap hitters" is total bull****. What Ozzie really is asking for are some guys who can do little things, but then not have a line up of guys who are incapable of going from first to third or scoring from second on a single who are capable of playing good defense. What a concept, huh?!

Yay for Ozzieball

WhiteSox56
06-01-2010, 11:03 PM

It was a good pitch if I remember right. Either way, not a good move by Alexei.

Dick Allen
06-01-2010, 11:07 PM
I actually didn't have a problem with Alexi swinging at that first pitch. It was right down the middle and looked like a pitch he could have and should have done something with. He just got under it.

WhiteSox5187
Yay for Ozzieball

Seems to be working pretty good for the Rays. The problem is you really need to have the talent for it to work right and that is something the Sox don't have and haven't had since 2005.

WhiteSox56
19 hits given up tonight:scratch:

slavko
06-01-2010, 11:08 PM

It was a good pitch if I remember right. Either way, not a good move by Alexei.

It's not that dumb. Looking first pitch fastball becuase he didn't want to fall behind again, got it, couldn't do anything with it.

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2010, 11:09 PM
I actually didn't have a problem with Alexi swinging at that first pitch. It was right down the middle and looked like a pitch he could have and should have done something with. He just got under it.

I dunno. I know that guys like Tony La Russa maintain that you should swing at the first good pitch you see in an AB with runners in scoring position and I guess you could argue Alexei did just that. But I have always thought that if a pitcher walks a guy on four straight you should take the first pitch, but I've never had any major league experience obviously and was never a very good hitter.

WhiteSox56
06-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Seems to be working pretty good for the Rays. The problem is you really need to have the talent for it to work right and that is something the Sox don't have and haven't had since 2005.

This reminds me, I need to break out my 2005 White Sox dvds. Maybe it will make me happy after watching **** all year:whiner:

Hegewisch
06-01-2010, 11:13 PM
I was at game tonight. I actually had a good feeling how they were playing. Until the 6th inning............................................ ..........

What a bunch of bull**** !!!:?:

JB98
06-01-2010, 11:17 PM
It's not that dumb. Looking first pitch fastball becuase he didn't want to fall behind again, got it, couldn't do anything with it.

Agreed.

Ramirez wouldn't have gained any advantage by taking strike one right down the pipe.

There's nothing wrong with looking first-pitch fastball and attacking. The problem isn't that Ramirez swung at the first pitch. The problem is he didn't do anything with it.

russ99
06-01-2010, 11:17 PM

Really, what's the deal here? The bullpen is short a man, worn out and our starters can't get it done. Who else do we have that's fresh?

Ozzie puts in Williams you guys pitch a fit. He puts in Linebrink you guys pitch a fit, he puts in Pena you guys pitch a fit... Thornton, Santos and Putz can't pitch 3-4 innings every night.

Besides, do you really blame Ozzie for this loss??

We shouldn't have been down in the first place. Buerhle couldn't get us 6 innings, yet again. 6 runs and 11 hits should have been enough to win, we shouldn't assume to rely on Vizquel to hit a miracle grand slam to win.

JB98
06-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Really, what's the deal here? The bullpen is short a man, worn out and our starters can't get it done. Who else do we have that's fresh?

Ozzie puts in Williams you guys pitch a fit. He puts in Linebrink you guys pitch a fit, he puts in Pena you guys pitch a fit... Thornton, Santos and Putz can't pitch 3-4 innings every night.

We shouldn't have been down in the first place. Buerhle couldn't get us 6 innings, yet again. 6 runs and 11 hits should have been enough to win, we shouldn't assume to rely on Vizquel to hit a miracle grand slam to win.

Bingo. Buehrle took the loss and he deserves it. Guillen didn't lose this game. Buehrle did.

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Bingo. Buehrle took the loss and he deserves it. Guillen didn't lose this game. Buehrle did.

Buerhle deserves a lot of blame, but when the offense goes 4 for 19 with runners in scoring position they deserve a lot of blame too.

JB98
06-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Buerhle deserves a lot of blame, but when the offense goes 4 for 19 with runners in scoring position they deserve a lot of blame too.

Buehrle was given a 4-0 lead after two innings. He is paid to be a top-of-the-rotation starter. He needs to protect the lead. He didn't do it. Instead, he threw batting practice all night long. He got what he deserved: a loss.

GoGoCrede
06-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Just got home. Eh, I'm not sure who I blame more - the pitching, or the offense squandering all those opportunities.

The random downpour was a lot of fun, though. It was fun huddling under my umbrella with my friend while everyone else ran for the hills. I have #1swisher to thank - he mentioned it might rain in the lineup thread. Thanks!

Tragg
06-01-2010, 11:29 PM
I've had enough of Ozzie. Unless Jones is hurt, Ozzie should be fired. I can't believe he let Vizquel hit with two out in the ninth. And I'm tired of seeing Kotsay not only playing almost every day, but hitting in the 5 spot.
Ozzie Guillen let them hit because Ozzie Guillen believes that Vizquel and Kotsay are quality hitters.
His consistently poor judgement of offensive talent has been an anchor on this team for years.

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Ozzie Guillen let them hit because Ozzie Guillen believes that Vizquel and Kotsay are quality hitters.
His consistently poor judgement of offensive talent has been an anchor on this team for years.

Who would you rather see? Nix might be a SLIGHT improvement (though prior to yesterday who would have said that?). Jones? Do I have to show what his numbers are again? Jones had a nice April, but is not the same guy anymore.

WhiteSox1989
06-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Eh. That last inning was pathetic. The most consistent hitter on this team is (obviously) Rios.

Regardless, the weather was nice, and it was fun to be at the ballpark. Looking forward to seeing a Sox winner tomorrow.

CLUBHOUSE KID
06-01-2010, 11:49 PM

I said the same thing. I blame this game on the pitching if you guys care...

soxinem1
06-01-2010, 11:55 PM
It was a collective 'effort'.

Blame the 2010 Chicago White Sox. They lost as a team.

GoGoCrede
06-01-2010, 11:57 PM
It was a collective 'effort'.

Blame the 2010 Chicago White Sox. They lost as a team.

Pretty much.

It was a nice night to be at the ballpark, if nothing else. And the hot dogs were especially good. That's all I got.

Huisj
06-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Who would you rather see? Nix might be a SLIGHT improvement (though prior to yesterday who would have said that?). Jones? Do I have to show what his numbers are again? Jones had a nice April, but is not the same guy anymore.

Can you show me his June numbers? I don't recall seeing them...

thomas35forever
06-02-2010, 12:03 AM
What was with the caps?

Marqhead
06-02-2010, 12:11 AM
What was with the caps?

They didn't play yesterday - Memorial Day

It was great to be at the park again. Weather was excellent minus the 5 minutes downpour.

Sox play, not so much. It was an exciting game but a long one at that. Watching this team with RISP is agonizing. Truly pathetic. Bad pitching, a brain fart or two on defense, just not a great effort.

And the Smoque stand wants $13 for either brisket or pulled pork. Pass.

VMSNS
06-02-2010, 01:12 AM
I turned this crap off around the time Buehrle left the game.

It sounds like there were bases loaded in the 9th, and Ozzie let Vizquel hit. I know he had some nice hits this game, but my goodness. Jones and Nix (who hit a PH grand slam last time) are on the bench and you let Omar hit? Seriously, Ozzie?

I honestly don't think it's Omar/Kotsay's fault. They're attractive bench pieces because they are versatile. Ozzie is just being a moron by thinking that they're something they aren't. He needs to have his head examined. Omar/Kotsay can't really be blamed when their manager isn't putting them in the position to succeed.

Oh, and my patience with Buehrle is really beginning to wear thin. He's been mediocre since his perfect game. Is it possible that all the exposure post-Perfecto has led teams to more delicately scrutinize his game? Just a thought.

WhiteSox5187
06-02-2010, 01:24 AM
Can you show me his June numbers? I don't recall seeing them...

You'll see them and they aren't going to be much of an improvement on his May numbers. We were very excited about Jones having a nice April (.259/.394/.630), but you know what his numbers were LAST April? .344/.523/.781. Then he fell apart (whether it was injury or pitchers catching on, I'm not sure). He's doing the same thing this year. There was even a thread about it.

guillensdisciple
06-02-2010, 02:52 AM
Today was the make or break game for the season and the season is broken.

It's the pitching staff guys, it's always been the pitching staff. OUr hitting has been putrid at times, but our pitching has been non existent.

What a sham of a great pitching staff. They should be ashamed of themselves. WE could have been great, but they have all performed far below what they could and should do.

Thanks *******s.

SluggersAway
06-02-2010, 03:39 AM
What a sham of a great pitching staff. They should be ashamed of themselves. WE could have been great, but they have all performed far below what they could and should do.

Danks, Garcia, Santos and Thornton included? :scratch:

As for the offense, Rios is the only one hitting comfortably over.250 everyone else has a pathetic average.

masloan
06-02-2010, 04:31 AM

This is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read on this board. What if the White Sox went 8 for 38 with RISP? Same percentage, but I think we would all take that many hits and ABs with RISP. Should the Sox have scored more? Of course. But I will say this once again: This team was built on starting pitching. If the Sox were going to have a good season, their starting pitching would have to be great. So far it has been a huge disapointment. Its ridiculous to blame the offense after they gave MB a 4 run lead, and then after it was pissed away the offense immediately scores 2 more to get back in the game...and then the bullpen gives up more runs. The offense is not good. But tonight it was not the problem.

Boondock Saint
06-02-2010, 04:53 AM
This is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read on this board. What if the White Sox went 8 for 38 with RISP? Same percentage, but I think we would all take that many hits and ABs with RISP. Should the Sox have scored more? Of course. But I will say this once again: This team was built on starting pitching. If the Sox were going to have a good season, their starting pitching would have to be great. So far it has been a huge disapointment. Its ridiculous to blame the offense after they gave MB a 4 run lead, and then after it was pissed away the offense immediately scores 2 more to get back in the game...and then the bullpen gives up more runs. The offense is not good. But tonight it was not the problem.

This team was also built on the ability to move over/drive in RISP. If they don't fail so miserably at driving in those runs, this game is a win. Regardless of expectations, the offense needs to pick up the pitching on occasion, and they didn't do it. This team doesn't do it. They're hitting .228 with RISP, which is a whole .005 better than Baltimore, the worst in the majors in that stat.

SoxFan1979
06-02-2010, 05:16 AM

I cant agree more BUT Ramirez has been doing that since day one............. MaN THIS TEAM ................:angry:

LITTLE NELL
06-02-2010, 05:57 AM

I've been down on Alexei for awhile now, he is regressing as a ballplayer.
You are right, he's dumb as dirt.

ChiSoxGirl
06-02-2010, 07:28 AM
I turned this crap off around the time Buehrle left the game.

It sounds like there were bases loaded in the 9th, and Ozzie let Vizquel hit. I know he had some nice hits this game, but my goodness. Jones and Nix (who hit a PH grand slam last time) are on the bench and you let Omar hit? Seriously, Ozzie?

I honestly don't think it's Omar/Kotsay's fault. They're attractive bench pieces because they are versatile. Ozzie is just being a moron by thinking that they're something they aren't. He needs to have his head examined. Omar/Kotsay can't really be blamed when their manager isn't putting them in the position to succeed.

Oh, and my patience with Buehrle is really beginning to wear thin. He's been mediocre since his perfect game. Is it possible that all the exposure post-Perfecto has led teams to more delicately scrutinize his game? Just a thought.

With last night's loss, I think he now sits at 5-13 since July 23, 2009. That is so not mediocre; it's sucky. :(: But, if he's going to suck, I guess it's a good thing it's happening this year when 95% of the team sucks right along with him....

October26
06-02-2010, 07:40 AM
This team was also built on the ability to move over/drive in RISP. If they don't fail so miserably at driving in those runs, this game is a win. Regardless of expectations, the offense needs to pick up the pitching on occasion, and they didn't do it. This team doesn't do it. They're hitting .228 with RISP, which is a whole .005 better than Baltimore, the worst in the majors in that stat.

Sad. Your post makes me realize just how bad the Sox have been this year. My expectations were so high for this Sox team prior to the season starting; I thought the pitching staff could carry this team and the hitting would be average. Nothing has gone as planned this year. :(: I am especially disappointed that the Sox can't win even TWO games in a row!

Jerko
06-02-2010, 09:07 AM
If Jones is hurt, DL him. If he sucks to the point where he can't PH for Vizquel, get rid of him. Team is basically playing a man short.

Hitmen77
06-02-2010, 09:10 AM

You know, Jones isn't doing much better. He had a .288 OBP in May.

How many guys did Kotsay leave on tonight? Felt like a small nation

9!

Thank you Ozzie for thinking that all we need for DH is Kotsay and Jones! Those of us who saw this as a disaster waiting to happen didn't know what we were talking about!

I'm glad we didn't sign Vlad Guerrero. That guy is finished and we don't want a full time DH. Man, that guy really sucks with Texas this year. They must feel like fools having to eat the $6.5 million they're paying him.

Hitmen77
06-02-2010, 09:20 AM

It's starting to look like Buehrle's best days are behind him unfortunately. He's been struggling and hasn't been consistent since that perfect game last July.

As far as the offense goes, this is what Ozzie wanted: People like Kotsay or Jones in the heart of our lineup. Now we get to reap the rewards of his "no DH" plan.

One bright spot tonight is 2 hits by Beckham. It would be great to have him rebound and have a solid rest of the season so that he can indeed be a cornerstone of our lineup in future seasons.

cws05champ
06-02-2010, 09:44 AM
The team management needs to make the tough decisions here. The team is not consistent and not good.

- Fire Greg Walker; at some point you have to be held accountable for production and not how "hard" you work. Maybe it would jump start this team by just making this move.

- DFA Randy Williams; You are not a LOOGY if you can't get LH hitters out.
> Bring up Carlos Torres as the long man to save the pen once in awhile.

- Look to trade Freddy Garcia sooner than later; He may bring something back if we trade him before he gets hurt.
> Let the Dan Hudson era begin

If things don't turn around after these moves (which are not that major) then you have to look to trade: Jones, Konerko, Pierre, Putz, Jenks, Linebrink, Thornton, AJ. I know they won't completely gut the team by trading all of these guys but some will have to go.

Madscout
06-02-2010, 12:09 PM
The team management needs to make the tough decisions here. The team is not consistent and not good.

- Fire Greg Walker; at some point you have to be held accountable for production and not how "hard" you work. Maybe it would jump start this team by just making this move.

- DFA Randy Williams; You are not a LOOGY if you can't get LH hitters out.
> Bring up Carlos Torres as the long man to save the pen once in awhile.

- Look to trade Freddy Garcia sooner than later; He may bring something back if we trade him before he gets hurt.
> Let the Dan Hudson era begin

If things don't turn around after these moves (which are not that major) then you have to look to trade: Jones, Konerko, Pierre, Putz, Jenks, Linebrink, Thornton, AJ. I know they won't completely gut the team by trading all of these guys but some will have to go.
I really don't want him gone for peanuts. All the rest can go for some prospects, but Thornton has the potential to be so valuable to any organization. He is a sure thing if you bring him out in any reasonable way, and I wanna see us get something good for him.

DirtySox
06-02-2010, 12:14 PM
I really don't want him gone for peanuts. All the rest can go for some prospects, but Thornton has the potential to be so valuable to any organization. He is a sure thing if you bring him out in any reasonable way, and I wanna see us get something good for him.

Unfortunately, aside from Putz, Thornton is about the only player that will provide something more than peanuts. There seems to be this misconception that dumping the dead weight is going to replenish the farm system for some reason.

The only way the farm is replenished is if some of the current valued talent is traded away, or the money saved by dumping expensive contracts is reinvested in the draft, scouting, international free agency and so forth.

RCWHITESOX
06-02-2010, 12:45 PM

I agree I just can't see why they insist on batting Kotsay in the 5Th or 6Th hole. In this game alone they walked Konerko 3 times to get to Kotsay. They need to go out and get a bonified hitter if they are going to have any chance to conted this year. As for the starters you can only hope they come around to at least their normal numbers.

guillensdisciple
06-02-2010, 12:54 PM

I agree that the hitting has been a let down but this pitching can't be excused for what they have showed us.

It has been just as bad if not worse than our hitting.

Our hitting was an unknown, our pitching was a guarantee and it failed.

cws05champ
06-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Unfortunately, aside from Putz, Thornton is about the only player that will provide something more than peanuts. There seems to be this misconception that dumping the dead weight is going to replenish the farm system for some reason.

The only way the farm is replenished is if some of the current valued talent is traded away, or the money saved by dumping expensive contracts is reinvested in the draft, scouting, international free agency and so forth.

That's the only reason I would put Thornton on that list. He has tremendous value with his ability and contract value. If the Rangers were serious about contending this year they would come and get AJ and Thornton from us.

Dick Allen
06-02-2010, 01:47 PM

We shouldn't have been down in the first place. Buerhle couldn't get us 6 innings, yet again. 6 runs and 11 hits should have been enough to win, we shouldn't assume to rely on Vizquel to hit a miracle grand slam to win.Read my post, I was only referring to Williams, who doesn't belong on an MLB roster. Just look at his walks per inning. I don't care how taxed the bullpen is, you cannot put this man in a one-run game. Just get rid of him and replace him, I don't care if it's with a chimpanzee. I have absolutely nothing against Linebrink and Pena, though they're certainly not future HOFers.

And while I don't blame Ozzie for the loss, he frequently does not put this team in a good position to win, which is a serious problem.

Boondock Saint
06-02-2010, 02:54 PM
I agree that the hitting has been a let down but this pitching can't be excused for what they have showed us.

It has been just as bad if not worse than our hitting.

Our hitting was an unknown, our pitching was a guarantee and it failed.

The pitching generally shows up somewhere between 1-3 games a week. You can't say that about the offense.

masloan
06-02-2010, 06:58 PM
The pitching generally shows up somewhere between 1-3 games a week. You can't say that about the offense.

I really do not think you understand this concept. I will try to use a simple example that I have used before. Maybe you will finally get it.

Student 1 is typically an "A" student...and he gets a C.

Student 2 is typically a "C" student...and gets a C-.

Which is more disapointing? Obviously student 1 did better. However, there were higher expectations for student 1.

Everyone going in to the season had significant doubts about our hitters. Most thought our pitching staff would be top 3 in the AL or better. They are much bigger disapointments. And the talent of our staff is miles ahead of the talent in the lineup.

Boondock Saint
06-03-2010, 01:30 AM
I really do not think you understand this concept. I will try to use a simple example that I have used before. Maybe you will finally get it.

Student 1 is typically an "A" student...and he gets a C.

Student 2 is typically a "C" student...and gets a C-.

Which is more disapointing? Obviously student 1 did better. However, there were higher expectations for student 1.

Everyone going in to the season had significant doubts about our hitters. Most thought our pitching staff would be top 3 in the AL or better. They are much bigger disapointments. And the talent of our staff is miles ahead of the talent in the lineup.

Are you saying that you expected Quentin, Beckham, AJ, and Alexei to play like this? Nobody saw that coming. If those guys play like they can and the Sox still lose, then yeah, you can blame it all on the pitching. But it isn't the case.

palehozenychicty
06-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Are you saying that you expected Quentin, Beckham, AJ, and Alexei to play like this? Nobody saw that coming. If those guys play like they can and the Sox still lose, then yeah, you can blame it all on the pitching. But it isn't the case.

Other than AJ, the jury was out. Beckham just hasn't played enough games in the ML. Pitchers have adjusted to him, and he has to do so for him to be successful. TCQ is a china doll, and Alexei has just been underwhelming.

soxinem1
06-04-2010, 11:23 PM

They can pretty much clean house if they want to, but trading Thornton should be one of the last things considered unless someone offers a LOT for him. There are two main reasons for this:

1. He is a well-above average lefty.

2. Check his salary. He barely makes a million!!

khan
06-04-2010, 11:31 PM
They can pretty much clean house if they want to, but trading Thornton should be one of the last things considered unless someone offers a LOT for him. There are two main reasons for this:

Thornton is 33 years old, and will be 34 by the end of the season. 34 year old relievers tend to get WORSE, not better.

Selling him NOW is selling high, due to his quality and the fact that he'll be on a cheap contract for 2011 as well. [Thus amplifying his valuation.]

Selling him in 2011 lowers his value in trade, because he will be a FA after 2011. Moreover, the SOX would be running the risk of him not continuing his high level of play. [Bobby Jenks' decreased efficacy should be a warning against holding onto relievers for too long, IMHO.] For that matter, relievers, outside of the HOF-types don't STAY dominant for very long. For as good as Thornton is right now, he's no HOF-calibre player.

Boondock Saint
06-04-2010, 11:33 PM

Those are both good points, but you also have to consider:

1. Thornton turns 34 in September.

2. He's only under contract through next season. You'll get a far better return for him this year than you will next year.

edit: You beat me to it, Khan.

DirtySox
06-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Thornton is 33 years old, and will be 34 by the end of the season. 34 year old relievers tend to get WORSE, not better.

Selling him NOW is selling high, due to his quality and the fact that he'll be on a cheap contract for 2011 as well. [Thus amplifying his valuation.]

Selling him in 2011 lowers his value in trade, because he will be a FA after 2011. Moreover, the SOX would be running the risk of him not continuing his high level of play. [Bobby Jenks' decreased efficacy should be a warning against holding onto relievers for too long, IMHO.] For that matter, relievers, outside of the HOF-types don't STAY dominant for very long. For as good as Thornton is right now, he's no HOF-calibre player.

+1

I love Thornton, but it's about time KW sells high on someone. Matt is the perfect candidate.