PDA

View Full Version : On May 10th...

mzh
05-31-2010, 07:27 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/gameflash/2010/05/31/29842_recap.html

The Atlanta Braves were 7 1/2 out and in last place. Last night they overtook the Phillies for 1st in the NL East. Point is, it's not totally out on the question for us (or any team, obviously) to go on a big run when they win all the right games, and it is not out of the question for the Twins to falter and play badly for a stretch (Phillies, anybody?), as some people seem to think.

Yes, yet another reason not to lose hope :cool:

pythons007
05-31-2010, 08:22 PM
Hey optimism!!!

theamb
05-31-2010, 08:47 PM
Now all we need is for Juan Pierre to turn into Jason Hayward

luke4me1st
05-31-2010, 08:47 PM
On may 10th the Sox were 8 games behind, today they are 8 games behind!

luke4me1st
05-31-2010, 09:09 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/gameflash/2010/05/31/29842_recap.html

The Atlanta Braves were 7 1/2 out and in last place. Last night they overtook the Phillies for 1st in the NL East. Point is, it's not totally out on the question for us (or any team, obviously) to go on a big run when they win all the right games, and it is not out of the question for the Twins to falter and play badly for a stretch (Phillies, anybody?), as some people seem to think.

Yes, yet another reason not to lose hope :cool:

On April 20th Atlanta was in first place, then they lost 9 straight that dropped them to last place 6 games back (they were never 7.5 games back at any point this season). Atlanta had a bad loosing streak, Sox had two under .500 months, huge difference.

Also Sox never had a 4 game winning streak so far this year. Atlanta had a 4 game winning streak, 5 game winning streak and a 6 game winning streak!
:whiner:

guillensdisciple
06-01-2010, 03:28 AM
I think people forget that we have a good 100 something games left and are only 6 games under. A lot can change, and there is time.

BadBobbyJenks
06-01-2010, 04:36 AM
What does this have to do with the 2010 White Sox?

kufram
06-01-2010, 06:13 AM
It was a valiant try mzh but optimism is usually shot down on the 2nd or 3rd post. I appreciated it, though.

I don't think you were saying it WILL happen, but that it CAN happen. If it CAN happen why not live in hope? If the players that were all in a slump at the same time pull out of it at the same time, including the pitchers, there is time to get back in it. That time is now admittedly.

soxfanatlanta
06-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Yes, but the Braves have talent. :redneck

Hitmen77
06-01-2010, 09:27 AM
See, a team doesn't need a DH to succeed in 2010! Ozzie was right all along!!!!!

The fact that the Braves are doing well doesn't make the White Sox any better of a ballclub and it doesn't answer how the Sox have under performed on a regular basis since July 2006. Anyone who thinks the Sox are going to play 9 games better than the Twins from here on out is drunk on kool aid.

CLR01
06-01-2010, 09:38 AM

But...but...but....the Braves....

LoveYourSuit
06-01-2010, 10:07 AM

Mathematics tells me they have not gained any ground. 8-8 = 0.

Until the Sox show us they can win 8 of 10 or maybe more than 3 straight, then let's all get sucked into this.

mzh
06-01-2010, 11:16 AM
It was a valiant try mzh but optimism is usually shot down on the 2nd or 3rd post. I appreciated it, though.

I don't think you were saying it WILL happen, but that it CAN happen. If it CAN happen why not live in hope? If the players that were all in a slump at the same time pull out of it at the same time, including the pitchers, there is time to get back in it. That time is now admittedly.
Exactly. If the Phillies can collapse in a two week stretch as they have, the Twins definitely can. The baseball season has a way of evening out good and bad luck by the end of the year, which is why I think the Twinkies will slow down. They have gotten better pitching than expected, and I don't think they can keep it up for 162 games. The question, IMO, is whether the Sox will jump on their chance to gain ground when it comes.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-01-2010, 11:22 AM
What does this have to do with the 2010 White Sox?

Exactly.

mzh
06-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Exactly.
Come on, guys, it's pretty ****ing simple. I'm saying that we're in a hole, but it's obviously not impossible to climb out of it via the example I gave.

asindc
06-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Now all we need is for Juan Pierre to turn into Jason Hayward

I think we need 2010 Carlos Quentin to turn into 2008 Carlos Quentin.

BadBobbyJenks
06-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Come on, guys, it's pretty ****ing simple. I'm saying that we're in a hole, but it's obviously not impossible to climb out of it via the example I gave.

But your example is not relevant to the White Sox in anyway.

kufram
06-01-2010, 02:37 PM
The thing is this is baseball and there are a lot of games to be played yet. Circumstances will change. Injuries will happen. Hitters will suddenly find the groove. A big trade or a no-name can change the balance. Cameras in the clubhouse could be the problem. I have a lot of experience with this and there is no such thing as a benign camera... especially in a closed society like a clubhouse. One thing is for sure... it all won't pan out exactly like it should on paper.

I don't mind people being negative or giving up on this team so early. There is a lot of evidence on that side. I just wish they'd be negative in their negativeness and not need everyone to join them.

TomBradley72
06-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Hell, ANYTHING CAN happen in baseball....we almost blew a double digit lead over Cleveland in 2005, in less than 60 days.

We need a legitimate 3rd baseman (similar to Herbert Perry's impact in 2000, someone to "anchor" the infield a bit) or DH for that to happen....with little trade bait and little hope...I don't see KW making the move we'd need to give us a shot. The overall chemistry is off on this club...we need a new piece in the puzzle + TCQ, Beckham, Peavy and Buehrle performing at the level expected before the season started.

GoGoCrede
06-01-2010, 03:07 PM

I'm a pretty optimistic girl when it comes to this team, but this made laugh. :smile:

mzh
06-01-2010, 03:54 PM
I never said it was. It's relevant to baseball and what can happen in baseball, and THAT is certainly relevant to us.

Crestani
06-01-2010, 04:16 PM

So there's hope?

pudge
06-01-2010, 04:40 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you. All I hear this season is "our players aren't playing to their career averages". Meanwhile, we continue to look mediocre, Minnesota continues to look very solid. I have yet to see anybody construct a solid argument for this team having a prayer other than pointing at other miracle situations. I only hear, "do you think we'll really suck this bad all season"? And my answer is, tell me why we won't?

kufram
06-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Hell, ANYTHING CAN happen in baseball....we almost blew a double digit lead over Cleveland in 2005, in less than 60 days.

We need a legitimate 3rd baseman (similar to Herbert Perry's impact in 2000, someone to "anchor" the infield a bit) or DH for that to happen....with little trade bait and little hope...I don't see KW making the move we'd need to give us a shot. The overall chemistry is off on this club...we need a new piece in the puzzle + TCQ, Beckham, Peavy and Buehrle performing at the level expected before the season started.

I agree. I can't see it either, but I know I didn't see Contreras becoming the best pitcher in baseball after the all-star break. A lot of people were screaming for his head before the break. What happened? I dunno, but maybe Nix will take his shot and blow the leather off the ball for the rest of the year. You can't foresee the unforeseeable.

I remember Mariotte blowing off the team on TV during the time mentioned. He said "can the White Sox win the World Series?... they can't even win their own division!" I doubt he enjoyed they're sudden playing into form the last week of the season as much as I did.

asindc
06-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you. All I hear this season is "our players aren't playing to their career averages". Meanwhile, we continue to look mediocre, Minnesota continues to look very solid. I have yet to see anybody construct a solid argument for this team having a prayer other than pointing at other miracle situations. I only hear, "do you think we'll really suck this bad all season"? And my answer is, tell me why we won't?

Quentin is better than this.
Pierre is better than this.
Peavy is better than this.
TCM is better than this.
Buehrle is better than this.
Floyd is better than this.

Having said that, you might be wondering why I do say it.

eriqjaffe
06-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Quentin is better than this.
Pierre is better than this.
Peavy is better than this.
TCQ is better than this.
Buehrle is better than this.
Floyd is better than this.

Having said that, you might be wondering why I do say it.Acutally, I'm wondering why you mentioned Quentin twice. :tongue:

theamb
06-01-2010, 05:11 PM
I think we need 2010 Carlos Quentin to turn into 2008 Carlos Quentin.

We don't need Carlos to break his wrist via his own stupidity again

asindc
06-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Acutally, I'm wondering why you mentioned Quentin twice. :tongue:

Thanks, fixed it.:smile:

asindc
06-01-2010, 05:19 PM
We don't need Carlos to break his wrist via his own stupidity again

No, we don't.