PDA

View Full Version : It's a numbers game

luke4me1st
05-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Looking at the numbers if Minnesota plays like they have been playing it will be close to impossible to catch them.

Games left 112

Minnesota 30-20 .600
Projected 97-65 .600 if they continue playing .600 ball
Projected 92-70 .568 if they finish the season playing .550 ball
Projected 86-76 .531 if they finish the season playing .500 ball

White Sox 22-28 .440
Projected 71-91 .440
Projected 92-70 .568 Sox have to finish 70-42 to have any chance

If Twins continue playing .600 ball the Sox will have to go 75-37 .670
If Twins struggle and play .500 ball the Sox need to go 64-48 .571, with this week division I don't think this will happen.

The odds are that Twins will play somewhere in the middle .550 ball, that will put them at 92 wins. The Sox most likely will need to finish the season with 70-42 record .625 to have any chance.

balke
05-31-2010, 11:34 AM
http://www.starwarscards.net/cards/2004heritage/032.jpg

Rohan
05-31-2010, 12:26 PM
:ohno

Foulke You
05-31-2010, 12:34 PM
Everything has been coming up roses for the Twins so far. Players almost collide and they still catch the ball to save the game, Rauch picks up all the slack from Nathan, their rotation has performed better than expected, and their bats have been on fire all year. The 162 game schedule has a habit of evening out some of the luck a bit though. It's a question of whether the Sox will put together enough of a run to catch up to them. Obviously, the head to head matchups are going to be huge. I also wouldn't count out the Tigers. If they add another starting pitcher, they could be a team to be reckoned with in the 2nd half. Overall, our division has been better this year than I thought it would be.

AlleghenySoxFan
05-31-2010, 12:41 PM
So I guess i shouldn't bother caring for the rest of the season see you guys in February

cards press box
05-31-2010, 12:55 PM
What if the Twins play about six below .500 the rest of the way? 53-59 + 30-20 would give them a record of 83-79. With the Twins' current starting rotation, that is not so far-fetched. It wouldn't surprise me if the Twins try to upgrade that rotation but that hasn't happened yet.

So what if the Twins finish 83-79? The Sox would have to go 61-51 to tie them and 62-50 to beat them. That isn't so far-fetched, either.

I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.

SI1020
05-31-2010, 01:24 PM
What if the Twins play about six below .500 the rest of the way? 53-59 + 30-20 would give them a record of 83-79. With the Twins' current starting rotation, that is not so far-fetched. It wouldn't surprise me if the Twins try to upgrade that rotation but that hasn't happened yet.

So what if the Twins finish 83-79? The Sox would have to go 61-51 to tie them and 62-50 to beat them. That isn't so far-fetched, either.

I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. Do you really think an 84-78 White Sox team will make like the 06 Cardinals?

Bucky F. Dent
05-31-2010, 01:35 PM
Looking at the numbers if Minnesota plays like they have been playing it will be close to impossible to catch them.

Games left 112

Minnesota 30-20 .600

White Sox 22-28 .440
Projected 71-91 .440

If Twins struggle and play .500 ball the Sox need to go 64-48 .571, with this week division I don't think this will happen.

The odds are that Twins will play somewhere in the middle .550 ball, that will put them at 92 wins. The Sox most likely will need to finish the season with 70-42 record .625 to have any chance.

Thanks for ruining my summer, Luke!

Jpgr91
05-31-2010, 02:47 PM
The Twins are a pretty solid organization that puts a consistent product on the field. Even though the Twins have been lucky, the style of baseball that they play does not lead to prolonged periods of losing.

In previous years the Twins had a lot of budget constraints which limited their flexibility in making deadline deals. Given their increased revenue with their new park, I do not think the Twins are going to have the same financial limitations in years past. Increased flexibility to add payroll could go a long way in negating any downswing that the team may experience in June and July.

The Sox have played themselves into a horrible position.

Carneyman14
05-31-2010, 03:13 PM
Really? Because it looks like to me all we have to do is win 9 more games than the Twins do from here on out. *high five* anyone? anyone?

LoveYourSuit
05-31-2010, 03:13 PM
The Twins are a pretty solid organization that puts a consistent product on the field. Even though the Twins have been lucky, the style of baseball that they play does not lead to prolonged periods of losing.

In previous years the Twins had a lot of budget constraints which limited their flexibility in making deadline deals. Given their increased revenue with their new park, I do not think the Twins are going to have the same financial limitations in years past. Increased flexibility to add payroll could go a long way in negating any downswing that the team may experience in June and July.

The Sox have played themselves into a horrible position.

That's the key here.

For all the nonesense people talk, "it's early, it's only April, blah blah blah," fact is that ****ty early play usually ends up costing you the season.

It's going to take a near miracle for us to play .600 baseball the rest of the way. I call it a miracle based on all the holes on this team. With the way the starting rotation is throwing, I give us Zero chance to catching the Twins.

luke4me1st
05-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks for ruining my summer, Luke!

The summer can still be saved by blowing this team up. Sox should bring up the kids get them ready for next year and add a power bat this winter or at the trading line.

Promote:
Vicevido
Flowers
Shelby
Hudson
and others

Trade if possible:
Konerko
Jenks
AJ
Jones
All Mark's
Putz

Add:
Prince or equivalent we need someone that can hit for power and avg in the middle of the lineup, this will make everyone around him better.

Hope that following players have a rebound year next yr.
TCQ
TCM
Bacon

2011 Lineup
Pierre
Carl Crawford
Rios
Prince
TCQ
TCM
Vicevido
Bacon
Flowers

Let the kids play, at worst we will know what we have at the end of the year.

LoveYourSuit
05-31-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm more concerned about this team's future than I am about this season.

Beckham and Quentin are huge keys to our future and right now they are not giving me much hope. Gavin is right there too.

I was banking on all 3 of those guys being close to all stars this year. They are closer to being minor leaguers than they are all stars today.

GAsoxfan
05-31-2010, 03:35 PM
The summer can still be saved by blowing this team up. Sox should bring up the kids get them ready for next year and add a power bat this winter or at the trading line.

Promote:
Vicevido
Flowers
Shelby
Hudson
and others

Trade if possible:
Konerko
Jenks
AJ
Jones
All Mark's
Putz

Add:
Prince or equivalent we need someone that can hit for power and avg in the middle of the lineup, this will make everyone around him better.

TCQ
TCM
Bacon

2011 Lineup
Pierre
Carl Crawford
Rios
Prince
TCQ
TCM
Vicevido
Bacon
Flowers

Let the kids play, at worst we will know what we have at the end of the year.

I have several issues with this post.

1) It's Viciedo.

2) Promote Shelby - Yeah, let's promote the 24-yr old hitting .246 at AA.

3) Promote Flowers - He's hitting .207 in Charlotte. I don't think facing major league pitching is the best way to break him out of his slump.

4) Why would top-tier free agents sign with a team that just had a firesale the year before and were rebuilding? The only answer is if you severely overpay them. Add Prince's and Crawford's contracts to Peavy and Rios and that's about $70M spent on four players.

5) Viciedo's worse at 3B than Teahen. He's been playing mostly 1B at Charlotte.

People keep saying to bring the kids up and let them play. That only works when you have kids at least close to being MLB-ready, which the Sox don't have. Viciedo MIGHT be the only position player who wouldn't embarrass himself, but with his plate discipline he could also strike out twice a game.

GAsoxfan
05-31-2010, 03:38 PM
For all the nonesense people talk, "it's early, it's only April, blah blah blah," fact is that ****ty early play usually ends up costing you the season.

I agree. I hate it when people say "games in September count more than games in April." Last I checked, they were each only counted once.

voodoochile
05-31-2010, 03:48 PM
Really? Because it looks like to me all we have to do is win 9 more games than the Twins do from here on out. *high five* anyone? anyone?

*high five*

It's Dankerific
05-31-2010, 04:01 PM
I agree. I hate it when people say "games in September count more than games in April." Last I checked, they were each only counted once.

Well, I can tell you people certainly got tired of being reminded about that in april.

I guess the truth hurts.

luke4me1st
05-31-2010, 04:16 PM
Wow, there are so many bad ideas in this post I don't know where to begin.

1) It's Viciedo.

2) Promote Shelby - Yeah, let's promote the 24-yr old hitting .246 at AA.

3) Promote Flowers - He's hitting .207 in Charlotte. I don't think facing major league pitching is the best way to break him out of his slump.

4) Why would top-tier free agents sign with a team that just had a firesale the year before and was in rebuilding mode? The only answer is if you severely overpay them. Add Prince's and Crawford's contracts to Peavy and Rios and that's about $70M spent on four players.

5) Viciedo's worse at 3B than Teahen. He's been playing mostly 1B at Charlotte.

People keep saying to bring the kids up and let them play. That only works when you have kids at least close to being MLB-ready, which the Sox don't have. Viciedo MIGHT be the only position player who wouldn't embarrass himself, but with his plate discipline he could also strike out twice a game.

I see your point, but I would rather see a 22 or 24 yr olds hit .200 in the majors then a 30+ yr olds, we might get couple mlb ready prospects in the trades too.

1) It's Viciedo. Thank you

2) Promote Shelby - Yeah, let's promote the 24-yr old hitting .246 at AA. - He has speed and power and the highest potential I do not see any better ideas.

3) Promote Flowers - He's hitting .207 in Charlotte. I don't think facing major league pitching is the best way to break him out of his slump. - it's the strategy with bacon so why not flowers?

4) Why would top-tier free agents sign with a team that just had a firesale the year before and was in rebuilding mode? The only answer is if you severely overpay them. Add Prince's and Crawford's contracts to Peavy and Rios and that's about $70M spent on four players. - Its all about the money plus the sox will still have some potential if tcq, tcm, gavin and bacon rebound. If they don't, then we will stink next yr too.

5) Viciedo's worse at 3B than Teahen. He's been playing mostly 1B at Charlotte. - I would still prefer see him at 3b then Teahen, maybe bring in Cantu next yr and move Viciedo to 1B.

Either way this season is lost and I don't see any reasons not to blow this team up.

These might be bad ideas, but not doing anything is a horrible idea.

GoSox2K3
05-31-2010, 04:31 PM
So I guess i shouldn't bother caring for the rest of the season see you guys in February

This post works without the teal too.

Jpgr91
05-31-2010, 04:39 PM
I see your point, but I would rather see a 22 or 24 yr olds hit .200 in the majors then a 30+ yr olds, we might get couple mlb ready prospects in the trades too.

Bringing up players before they are ready kills their trade value. What could the Sox have gotten for Josh Feilds while he was tearing up the minor leagues? I would rather see the Sox make a play for proven MLB talent in the off season rather than seeing a prospect lose all trade value in the majors.

There is also no way the Sox get MLB ready prospects for their aging veterans. The only talent the Sox have that would get MLB ready prospects is talent that the Sox would not trade.

Dan H
05-31-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm more concerned about this team's future than I am about this season.

Beckham and Quentin are huge keys to our future and right now they are not giving me much hope. Gavin is right there too.

I was banking on all 3 of those guys being close to all stars this year. They are closer to being minor leaguers than they are all stars today.

I share this concern. Beckham should turn it around, but I don't know how or when. Quentin doesn't look anything he did in '08. Floyd is having another tough start and it isn't good when a pitcher is just starting to find it in June. You can add Ramirez to that list, too. Looks like he has a bundle of talent but isn't showing much.

I'm not for blowing up the team and bringing up a bunch of players that might not even be ready for a major league assignment. That could only worsen things.

I don't think the White Sox have the ability to turn this season around. I would like to see some sound decisions to change the face of team. At least I would see that the organization isn't kidding itself.

SOXSINCE'70
05-31-2010, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.

This brings to mind two sayings from the great Lawrence "Yogi" Berra:

1. "It ain't over till it's over"- This is how I still cautiously
feel about the Sox.

2. "It's getting late early this year". If they play poorly in June, this will become the sad realistic truth, IMO.

luke4me1st
05-31-2010, 05:05 PM
Bringing up players before they are ready kills their trade value. What could the Sox have gotten for Josh Feilds while he was tearing up the minor leagues? I would rather see the Sox make a play for proven MLB talent in the off season rather than seeing a prospect lose all trade value in the majors.

There is also no way the Sox get MLB ready prospects for their aging veterans. The only talent the Sox have that would get MLB ready prospects is talent that the Sox would not trade.

You win lets keep watching aging veterans and trade all our prospects.

2011 white sox slogan "these old men can play"

Make Monday a senior citizen nite

2011 lineup

LF Pierre 34
2B Figgins 33
1B Konerko 35
RF Podsednik 35
DH Kotsey 36
CF Jones 34
C AJ 35
SS Vizquell 44

Grinder baseball here we come.

:dtroll:

theamb
05-31-2010, 05:07 PM
Prospects?

We have prospects??

luke4me1st
05-31-2010, 05:18 PM
3) Promote Flowers - He's hitting .207 in Charlotte. I don't think facing major league pitching is the best way to break him out of his slump. - it's the strategy with bacon so why not flowers?

Reason why Flowers is struggling, his swing is being modified by Mr. Walker :scratch:

"At the point where I've tried doing it their way this last month, sadly enough the numbers speak for themselves, and that way doesn't totally work," Flowers said. "I have to go back to the old me. I have to go back to my style of hitting, while implementing the little things Walk [White Sox hitting coach Greg Walker] and Kenny talked about.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100531&content_id=10653000&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

voodoochile
05-31-2010, 05:18 PM
You win lets keep watching aging veterans and trade all our prospects.

2011 white sox slogan "these old men can play"

Make Monday a senior citizen nite

2011 lineup

LF Pierre 34
2B Figgins 33
1B Konerko 35
RF Podsednik 35
DH Kotsey 36
CF Jones 34
C AJ 35
SS Vizquell 44

Grinder baseball here we come.

:dtroll:

Nice signature at the end of that post... :wink:

You are also forgetting one other factor...

If you blow up the team now and go for the find out what the "not ready for prime time" kids can do you will simply crush all ticket sales going into the busiest time of the year which would only make the money saved on dumping the vets a wash. Waiting another month or even 6 weeks only helps the team and they would still have at least all of August and September to let the kids get a feel for the majors and the team get a feel for how said kids handle the majors.

The money lost and potential craptastic 2011 that might follow could really hurt the Sox season ticket renewal and that in turn has even longer ranging impacts on the payroll limit.

In addition, the Sox should ONLY bring up players the development team feels are ready for a shot, not because some fan looked at a box score and decided the players were ready. Until the fans have actual knowledge of what players are ready to play on this level or at least to be given a shot, any suggestion they should be brought up is suspect at best...

Craig Grebeck
05-31-2010, 05:22 PM
Shelby has the most potential to...someone, someone help me here. Suck?

luke4me1st
05-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Nice signature at the end of that post... :wink:

You are also forgetting one other factor...

If you blow up the team now and go for the find out what the "not ready for prime time" kids can do you will simply crush all ticket sales going into the busiest time of the year which would only make the money saved on dumping the vets a wash. Waiting another month or even 6 weeks only helps the team and they would still have at least all of August and September to let the kids get a feel for the majors and the team get a feel for how said kids handle the majors.

The money lost and potential craptastic 2011 that might follow could really hurt the Sox season ticket renewal and that in turn has even longer ranging impacts on the payroll limit.

In addition, the Sox should ONLY bring up players the development team feels are ready for a shot, not because some fan looked at a box score and decided the players were ready. Until the fans have actual knowledge of what players are ready to play on this level or at least to be given a shot, any suggestion they should be brought up is suspect at best...

I think they can wait till July 31st

except with Buehrle and AJ

Upcoming Ten And Five Rights
AJ June 14th
Buehrle July 6th

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/mark_buehrle/

How about we play PK at DH and bring up Viciedo to play 1st? And bring up Hudson and Flowers once he gets hot. I don't think our tkt sales would suffer.

How about we trade Kotsay, Vizquel and Jones for a bag of balls? Kenny please make sure to get a minimum of 10 balls.

Jpgr91
05-31-2010, 06:00 PM
I think they can wait till July 31st

except with Buehrle and AJ

Upcoming Ten And Five Rights
AJ June 14th
Buehrle July 6th

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/mark_buehrle/

How about we play PK at DH and bring up Viciedo to play 1st? And bring up Hudson and Flowers once he gets hot. I don't think our tkt sales would suffer.

How about we trade Kotsay, Vizquel and Jones for a bag of balls? Kenny please make sure to get a minimum of 10 balls.

What does a player getting hot in the minor leagues have to do with his production at the MLB level?

WhiteSoxFTW
06-01-2010, 10:34 AM
TCQ
TCM
Bacon

We should be looking to upgrade our SS, not HOPE that he somehow magically gets better. Alexei will never be more than an average SS. And, it's time to realize that 2008 was a fluke year for both of them. Pitchers know how to pitch to Alexei now, and Quentin just can't get his **** together anymore.

These two should not be in our long-term plans.

october23sp
06-24-2010, 05:26 PM
This thread is lulz.

october23sp
07-11-2010, 01:38 AM

Games left 112

Minnesota 30-20 .600

White Sox 22-28 .440
Projected 71-91 .440

Or win 24 out of 29 and have at least a 2.5 game lead on them by the break.

Carneyman14
07-11-2010, 01:47 AM

:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

guillensdisciple
07-11-2010, 01:51 AM
Or win 24 out of 29 and have at least a 2.5 game lead on them by the break.

:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

I am not going to lie, this is epic.

Literally from May 31st, that's kray kray.

Nellie_Fox
07-11-2010, 01:56 AM
...that's kray kray.What?

GoGoCrede
07-11-2010, 02:05 AM
What?

Slang for crazy.

Nellie_Fox
07-11-2010, 02:15 AM
Slang for crazy.:rolleyes:

hawkjt
07-11-2010, 08:27 AM
One more time ...all together now....baseball has a longgggg season.:D:

LITTLE NELL
07-11-2010, 08:41 AM
One more time ...all together now....baseball has a longgggg season.:D:

Its like a horse race, you have front runners and you have down the stretch closers. Occasionally you have wire to wire winners (05 White Sox).

soxfanreggie
07-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Over the next 30 games, we could go 25-5, 15-15, or *gulp*...worse. That's baseball though! Right now, we have the momentum. If we can keep the momentum, we'll be adding at least one more flag to the pole - and hopefully more.

While projections had us out, they're only projections. Projections will probably have the Heat or Lakers winning the NBA title next year, but Chicago, San Antonio, and Boston can all win it as well. It may be less likely, but it can still happen.