PDA

View Full Version : NESN - Bob Uecker best broadcaster of all time

Fenway
05-31-2010, 03:12 AM
http://www.nesn.com/2010/05/bob-uecker-tops-list-of-best-baseball-broadcasters-of-all-time.html

Now this is pretty objective when no Boston announcer made the list

Discuss

SephClone89
05-31-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm sorry, I'm still puking over the description of #2.

But really, I almost feel bad for Cubs fans that they have been worshipping the inferior crappy old senile version of Harry Caray for the last thirty years.

SI1020
05-31-2010, 10:09 AM
This article makes me want to retch. First of all Caray did not start singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame when he announced for the Cubs. Second, he was a shadow of his former self by the time he made it to the north side. Third, any list that ignores Bob Prince and Ernie Harwell isn't worth anything at all. Last, for my money Mel Allen was the best ever.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-31-2010, 10:14 AM
What, no Hawk Harrelson?

:hawk

"This list is bull!! Absolute BULL! Ricky Doyle needs to rest!"

Fenway
05-31-2010, 11:04 AM
Play by Play has changed the past 20 years...and I miss the days where the announcers switch back from radio and TV during the game.

Sadly I only know Bob Prince from his disastrous stint on ABC Monday Night Baseball.

My gold standard for a radio team was Ned Martin and Jim Woods who did Boston in the 70's. You prayed for a rain delay to hear them swap stories.

Observations about present day radio.

Boston - Joe Castigleone took a long time to get used to following the likes of Curt Gowdy, Ned Martin and Ken Coleman. But you can listen to him for 10 seconds and know the status of the game by his tone Dave O'Brien is just too vanilla but gets the job done.

Yankees - John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman have a strange chemistry (My FB friends know Suzyn and I banter all the time). Sterling can be brutal - 'It is high, it is far...caught by Jeter..' and his signature call when NYY wins is brutal
(He does get into it tho)

_5hK90Itwb8

Cubs - Pat Hughes is excellent - I think his years with Uecker helped him. Santo is well...

White Sox - I can't stand Farmer.

Giants - Jon Miller is best on radio. I still can't believe Boston fired him in 1982. He was beloved in Baltimore and was able to fill the shoes of the great Chuck Thompson. But the Orioles owner didn't like him....

But sadly most announcers today are interchangeable.

Ernie Harwell said the best he ever heard was Red Barber.

On Harry -

I remember the first time I heard him - Game 1 of the 1967 World Series on NBC Radio. I said to myself 'who is this yahoo'

But I came to love him when he did radio with Piersall.

Harry struck gold with the Cubs mainly because of superstation WGN. It was what it was...

A friend in NY is friends with Milo Hamilton and a few years back I asked Milo about Harry - Aye yi yi

Milo relished one tidbit - One afternoon the Flubs were being blown out and Harry said ' wow nobody has left yet, they must be waiting to hear me sing'.

Milo replies ' Harry - tomorrow is an off day. Why don't you say you will be here at 3 PM to sing and see how many show up.'

If I was the czar of MLB broadcasting - I would demand that local announcers be part of FOX's post-season crews. It should have been Hawk, not Joe Buck saying the White Sox are World Series champs.