PDA

View Full Version : Konerko To The Angels? Again?!

Lillian
05-30-2010, 01:17 PM
The Angels need to replace Morales, after he broke his leg last night.
Why not Konerko for a good left handed hitting prospect.
It works for all of the following reasons:

1)The Sox are likely not going to catch the Twins.
2)The Angels have always liked Konerko.
3)He's a perfect solution for the rest of this year, with no commitment beyond.
4)L.A. is one destination that Paulie would approve.
5)He likely won't be resigned.
6)The Sox would probably not want to offer arbitration, so they'd lose their draft pick compensation.
7)This would be an opportunity to get something worthwhile for Konerko.

The Sox could play Kotsay at 1st. Who cares? Ozzie will be thrilled to have his "kid" in the lineup everyday. (what a joke)

If the Angels have a good left handed hitting prospect with whom they would be willing to part, please get him.
I don't care what position he plays.

Forget Trumbo. Not that the Angels would be willing to trade him, in the first place. However, even if they would, he's another right handed hitter. The Sox need a left handed power bat. I keep repeating myself, because no one here seems to remember that. We do not have one single left handed power hitter in the entire organization.

You can also forget about Trout. He has way too much promise.

Lillian
05-30-2010, 01:19 PM
How about this guy?

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=502222 (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=502222)

22 years old. Left handed and plays 1st. He's probably 2 years from the Big Leagues.
I don't much about him, but I found this:

http://www.halosheaven.com/2010/1/13/12489...els-prospect-28 (http://www.halosheaven.com/2010/1/13/1248932/dillon-baird-top-angels-prospect-28)

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-30-2010, 01:19 PM
It'll only happen if it's a three-way deal with the Mariners and we get Figgins in the deal.

DirtySox
05-30-2010, 01:25 PM
It'll only happen if it's a three-way deal with the Mariners and we get Figgins in the deal.

:thumbsup:

NLaloosh
05-30-2010, 01:25 PM
According to Cowley, the Sox couldn't even get one top prospect for the guy that leads baseball in home runs.

What a sad state this organization is in.

jabrch
05-30-2010, 01:50 PM
According to Cowley, the Sox couldn't even get one top prospect for the guy that leads baseball in home runs.

Do you judge the state of the organization based on Joe Cowley's opinion?

Sockinchisox
05-30-2010, 01:55 PM

He isn't leading in HR anymore.

DirtySox
05-30-2010, 01:58 PM

He's right. This shouldn't be a surprise.

voodoochile
05-30-2010, 02:10 PM
If they were to trade PK, I assume part of the answer would be to call up Viciedo who has been redhot in May at Charlotte. That would leave him to tryout at 3B in the majors to see if he could handle it and Teahen could move to first. If not they could move Viciedo to first afterwards.

And yes, I'm aware that some people thing Viciedo will never play 3B in the Majors, but it's all he's been playing at Charlotte, so I'd expect him to get at least a whiff of it in the pros.

Oh and the one drawback would be that indeed Viciedo does whiff a lot, but everything else is just fine...

DirtySox
05-30-2010, 02:13 PM
And yes, I'm aware that some people thing Viciedo will never play 3B in the Majors, but it's all he's been playing at Charlotte, so I'd expect him to get at least a whiff of it in the pros.

Huh? Viciedo has been playing at least 80% of his games at 1B.

voodoochile
05-30-2010, 02:16 PM
Huh? Viciedo has been playing at least 80% of his games at 1B.

My bad, I was going off his stats page which lists him as 3B. I admit I haven't seen him play.

If that's the case, never mind. :redface::D:

DirtySox
05-30-2010, 02:18 PM
My bad, I was going off his stats page which lists him as 3B. I admit I haven't seen him play.

If that's the case, never mind. :redface::D:

To be fair, he has been playing 3B at random times it seems. Might have something to do with Teahen. He certainly has more value at 3rd.

voodoochile
05-30-2010, 02:18 PM
To be fair, he has been playing 3B at random times it seems. Might have something to do with Teahen. He certainly has more value at 3rd.

I should have gone to BBRef minor league site and checked his splits. It's my own damned fault for trusting the Knights to have his position properly listed...

Brian26
05-30-2010, 02:30 PM

At this point, you have to wonder how much worse he could be than Teahen. Mark can't field anything right now, and every throw he makes to first looks forced.

Craig Grebeck
05-30-2010, 02:49 PM
At this point, you have to wonder how much worse he could be than Teahen. Mark can't field anything right now, and every throw he makes to first looks forced.
Yeah, but if they're looking to make a change at third, it would behoove them to sign a stop-gap third baseman with good defensive skills and either jettison Teahen or turn him into a super-utility guy.

Mark strikes me as what people think Nick Swisher was -- a guy without a position who can't handle the stick and will make too much money. Problem is, Nick could actually hit.

Rohan
05-30-2010, 03:25 PM

Cowley's a sack of crap. Get your information from someone else.

Lillian
05-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Another thought: If the Angels would like one of our closers, we could give them one plus Paulie, and maybe get one of the better prospects.

A. Cavatica
05-30-2010, 04:52 PM
The Angels need to replace Morales, after he broke his leg last night.
Why not Konerko for a good left handed hitting prospect.
It works for all of the following reasons:

1)The Sox are likely not going to catch the Twins.
2)The Angels have always liked Konerko.
3)He's a perfect solution for the rest of this year, with no commitment beyond.
4)L.A. is one destination that Paulie would approve.
5)He likely won't be resigned.
6)The Sox would probably not want to offer arbitration, so they'd lose their draft pick compensation.
7)This would be an opportunity to get something worthwhile for Konerko.

The Sox could play Kotsay at 1st. Who cares? Ozzie will be thrilled to have his "kid" in the lineup everyday. (what a joke)

If the Angels have a good left handed hitting prospect with whom they would be willing to part, please get him.
I don't care what position he plays.

Makes sense to me. The Sox can consider bringing PK back at half his current salary next season.

Lillian
05-30-2010, 05:00 PM
If the Sox did move Paulie, and they still thought that they had a chance this year, then they could sign Dye to DH, or wait for Delgado.
I understand that he should be ready about the All Star break.

EMachine10
05-30-2010, 05:26 PM
:chunks

No Chone for me.

thomas35forever
05-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Any talking with the Angels that wouldn't get us a somewhat good batch in return for Paulie should be thrown out the window. Paulie's obviously got some left in the tank so as long as his value is decent, so should the return. That's all I have to say.

Tragg
05-30-2010, 06:18 PM
If we can't get much for PK, then don't trade him. He's better than Griffey..... The Reds got a middle reliever. Pk would help a contender... They should pay for that

Lillian
05-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Apparently, this idea is not completely crazy:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/05/how-will-angels-replace-morales.html

JohnTucker0814
05-30-2010, 08:39 PM
I'll take Trevor Reckling or Garrett Richards... and they'd have to give us a mid level prospect as well.

tm1119
05-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Angels 1st baseman Morales just went down with a broken ankle and they are the type of organization that cant afford to miss the playoffs. They will look to replace him.

Konerko for Brandon Wood? He was once a top prospect that mashed at every level in the minors(.290+avg and 20+hr's the past 2 years in AAA), the problem is is that he has failed so far in the majors for the halos. I could definitely see them moving him at this point since he is out of options and struggling again. We could probably get another prospect along with him as well since he is struggling again.

PalehosePlanet
05-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Any talking with the Angels that wouldn't get us a somewhat good batch in return for Paulie should be thrown out the window. Paulie's obviously got some left in the tank so as long as his value is decent, so should the return. That's all I have to say.

Agreed. They are desperate and do not have leverage in this situation. Make them pay.

I'd rather just keep Paulie than give him up for a marginal player who has a less than 10% chance of making the bigs. (Not to mention the possible bad PR and fallout w/the fans.)

The Angels, however, have not been willing to trade prospects during the Stoneman/Riggens era. This would definitely be a change to their organizational philosophy.

cws05champ
05-31-2010, 12:13 AM
Angels 1st baseman Morales just went down with a broken ankle and they are the type of organization that cant afford to miss the playoffs. They will look to replace him.

Konerko for Brandon Wood? He was once a top prospect that mashed at every level in the minors(.290+avg and 20+hr's the past 2 years in AAA), the problem is is that he has failed so far in the majors for the halos. I could definitely see them moving him at this point since he is out of options and struggling again. We could probably get another prospect along with him as well since he is struggling again.

Pass....Wood has shown so far he just can not hit major league pitching. Hank Conger is a switch hitting catcher that would fit with the Sox long term, but he is the Angels top prospect. I like Fabio Martinez, a Dominican RHP that is said to have top of the rotation stuff if he can improve his command. BA's #6 rated prospect for the Angels in 2010.

I suspect that if Konerko were to get dealt we'd see Tyler Flowers come up to play 1B, DH and some catching until AJ is dealt.

mzh
05-31-2010, 12:18 AM

We already had someone like Wood. His name was Joe Borchard. Let's try for someone who can hit a major league breaking ball.

getonbckthr
05-31-2010, 12:27 AM
Should've left Beckham at 3B and kept Getz......:angry:

Craig Grebeck
05-31-2010, 12:33 AM
Is there a Chris Getz I haven't heard of?

mzh
05-31-2010, 01:07 AM
Getz has been on the DL twice and is hitting .188... No thank you.

GAsoxfan
05-31-2010, 04:51 PM
I suspect that if Konerko were to get dealt we'd see Tyler Flowers come up to play 1B, DH and some catching until AJ is dealt.

Since Flowers is hitting around the Mendoza line in AAA, I think Viciedo would probably get the call-up.

SoxSpeed22
05-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Brandon Wood looks like a AAAA player, no thanks. The Angels prospects are not great either.
Peter Bourjos' bat doesn't really project well to the majors (from what I read), even though his defense is one of the best in the organization. Garrett Richards needs to work on his command. We won't get Trout or Reckling in a trade. A lot of the other pitchers are either inconsistent or not good with their command.
I think Kenny will try and get the best deal, we'll see.

SOXSINCE'70
05-31-2010, 05:56 PM
I was watching the MLB network today and saw a scroll that said Morales is postponing the suregery for one week because of "excessive swelling".:scratch::scratch:

Could the Halos become a little more desperate now? Stay tuned.

getonbckthr
05-31-2010, 06:42 PM
Is there a Chris Getz I haven't heard of?

Getz has been on the DL twice and is hitting .188... No thank you.
Keeping Getz means no Teahen which means only good things.

Frater Perdurabo
05-31-2010, 06:51 PM
Send Paulie to the Angels for Hank Conger, who solves the catching situation long-term.

Then, sign Paulie to a 3/15M free agent contract this offseason.

EDIT: Of course, if Viciedo or Flowers come up and play a nice 1B and hit well, there would be no reason to sign Paulie.

Lillian
05-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Send Paulie to the Angels for Hank Conger, who solves the catching situation long-term.

Then, sign Paulie to a 3/15M free agent contract this offseason.

EDIT: Of course, if Viciedo or Flowers come up and play a nice 1B and hit well, there would be no reason to sign Paulie.

I like it, but if both Flowers and Viciedo do well, where do they play?
Either one could play first base or DH, but the Sox may need to keep either DH, or 1st open for a future left handed slugger.

mzh
05-31-2010, 07:34 PM
Teahen is so bad that you'd rather have an injury-prone sub .200 hitter than him? Haha. So who's our third baseman? Lets be honest, Teahen was most likely the best/most realistic option available. KW wasn't going to overpay for Figgins, and you know if someone better was available, Kenny would have jumped on it, IMO.

tstrike2000
05-31-2010, 07:38 PM

Maybe defensively, but we don't need another guy that isn't hitting.

doublem23
05-31-2010, 11:04 PM
Teahen is so bad that you'd rather have an injury-prone sub .200 hitter than him? Haha. So who's our third baseman? Lets be honest, Teahen was most likely the best/most realistic option available. KW wasn't going to overpay for Figgins, and you know if someone better was available, Kenny would have jumped on it, IMO.

Picking between Teahen or Getz is like picking between whether you'd rather chop off your left leg or right leg. There's no good option.

DSpivack
06-01-2010, 12:41 AM
A headline for a Buster Olney ESPN article discussing Konerko to the Angels referred to Paulie as a "California native." :scratch:

RockJock07
06-01-2010, 12:59 AM
A headline for a Buster Olney ESPN article discussing Konerko to the Angels referred to Paulie as a "California native." :scratch:

Olney got that wrong, Paul is from Rhode Island.

I know Konerko has a home in Scottsdale and he and the Angels have always been linked because of the 2005 off-season. To be honest, the Angels could probably get LaRoche from AZ for less then Paulie because while paulie has double the HR, they both have the same amount of RBI's.

mzh
06-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Picking between Teahen or Getz is like picking between whether you'd rather chop off your left leg or right leg. There's no good option.
I still don't see why you'd take Getz over Teahen. Teahen gives you more defensive versatility, albeit less speed, but with much more power. Speed is really the only thing Getz has over Teahen I'm sorry to say.

eriqjaffe
06-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Teahen gives you more defensive versatilityBeing bad at multiple positions is not "defensive versatility."

Tragg
06-01-2010, 03:30 PM
I still don't see why you'd take Getz over Teahen. Teahen gives you more defensive versatility, albeit less speed, but with much more power. Speed is really the only thing Getz has over Teahen I'm sorry to say.

Getz would have also added $13mill over 3 to the free agent budget.

voodoochile
06-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Getz would have also added $13mill over 3 to the free agent budget.

No, because they'd have to spend that money to replace his worthless ass...

Tragg
06-01-2010, 04:21 PM
No, because they'd have to spend that money to replace his worthless ass...

You could replace him for minimum salary. Williams decided to pay a player of minimum salary quality $15/3 for whatever reason

voodoochile
06-01-2010, 04:52 PM
You could replace him for minimum salary. Williams decided to pay a player of minimum salary quality $15/3 for whatever reason

What minimum salary player available would actually be worth giving a full season of at bats to?

You can replace Getz for minimum salary, but will you actually improve on his numbers to the point where it becomes worth it to do so.

Now we can argue about whether Teahen should have been that guy who go the money, but if you want the team to have decent production at 3B/2B you are going to have to pay for it.

Frater Perdurabo
06-01-2010, 09:30 PM
What minimum salary player available would actually be worth giving a full season of at bats to?

You can replace Getz for minimum salary, but will you actually improve on his numbers to the point where it becomes worth it to do so.

Now we can argue about whether Teahen should have been that guy who go the money, but if you want the team to have decent production at 3B/2B you are going to have to pay for it.

Maybe, but the money not paid to Teahen could have been invested in Vald Guerrero or Johnny Damon as the DH.

asindc
06-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Maybe, but the money not paid to Teahen could have been invested in Vald Guerrero or Johnny Damon as the DH.

I understand your point, but then we would be getting Teahen-type production at either 2nd (Getz) or 3rd (Fields).

Frater Perdurabo
06-01-2010, 10:21 PM
I understand your point, but then we would be getting Teahen-type production at either 2nd (Getz) or 3rd (Fields).

We'd also be getting better defense at third, and better DH production.

voodoochile
06-01-2010, 11:32 PM

I agree that we can debate whether the signing of Teahen was a good thing, but that money should be spent somewhere for sure.