PDA

View Full Version : Is Carlos Silva for real?

VMSNS
05-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Carlos Silva is currently 7-0 with a 3.12 ERA for the Cubs. Today, he pitched 7 innings of two-hit baseball against the Cardinals, striking out 11.

So, is this just more proof that pitching in the NL is easier, or has this guy really turned it around?

Frater Perdurabo
05-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Carlos Silva, meet Jake Peavy.

JermaineDye05
05-29-2010, 10:26 PM
No. He's just benefiting from the NL. I think of him like I do Jason Marquis. He'll have an out of this world first half and then fall back to earth in the second half. Look for him to go 12-12 with about a four and a half ERA by the end of the season. Baseball has a weird way of balancing out by the end of the season.

05-29-2010, 10:31 PM
He is for real better than Milton Bradley.

Nice trade Hendry.

TDog
05-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Is your average American League hitter who was pounding Silva like a rented mule the last couple of years (5-18 with an ERA over 6 in two seasons with Seattle where he gave up 254 hits in less than 184 innings) better than Albert Puljos? Of course not. Silva is benefiting from not facing the DH, but he is throwing the ball much better.

He was 7-2 with an ERA of 3.18 in late June with his first season with the Twins before he failed to go six inning for the first time in a start. From then on, he had a few very good games but was mostly very bad.

Silva's start isn't so different from his American League start five years ago, and I expect he will hit a wall after the All-Star break.

Chez
05-30-2010, 10:56 AM
If Carlos Silva fails to win another game this season, it still was a great trade for the Cubs.

TDog
05-30-2010, 12:26 PM
If Carlos Silva fails to win another game this season, it still was a great trade for the Cubs.

Carlos Silva did not need to find success to make this a great trade for the Cubs.

bunty_doghunter
05-30-2010, 06:31 PM
I don't believe the word 'consistency' has ever been associated with Silva's name. Actually, I think they are antonyms.

StillMissOzzie
05-30-2010, 11:27 PM
No. He's just benefiting from the NL. I think of him like I do Jason Marquis. He'll have an out of this world first half and then fall back to earth in the second half. Look for him to go 12-12 with about a four and a half ERA by the end of the season. Baseball has a weird way of balancing out by the end of the season.

This is pretty much what I think, too. Let's see how he looks when he's being seen the 2nd time around.

Still, a trade that has worked out heavily in the Cubs' favor.

SMO
:gulp:

LoveYourSuit
05-31-2010, 12:18 AM
I recall the beat-down Hendry took on this board when he pulled off the trade.

All they needed Silva to have was a pulse at the time IMO and the Cubs would have won that trade then.

Twins_Morneau
05-31-2010, 06:00 AM
Its all thanks to the AAAA league known as the NL.

theamb
05-31-2010, 01:42 PM
I recall the beat-down Hendry took on this board when he pulled off the trade.

All they needed Silva to have was a pulse at the time IMO and the Cubs would have won that trade then.

It doesn't matter as the Cubs will get bashed no matter what