PDA

View Full Version : Giants Bring Up Buster Posey

DSpivack
05-29-2010, 02:46 PM
To play C or 1B? Hasn't Molina been pretty good thus far?

TDog
05-29-2010, 03:04 PM
I hear he will mostly play first base, which is a weak offensive spot with the Giants (hence sports reporters tying to start rumors of a deal sending Konerko to the Giants). Posey has played about a dozen games at first with Fresno this season. He has played about twice that at catcher.

Molina has been a great defensive catcher. Whiteside has been a quite good as a backup catcher. The master plan is probably to not bring back Molina next year and replace him with Posey.

Some fans wanted that Giants to call up their second-leading hitter at Fresno, an outfielder hitting about .330 with one more homer than Posey. That would be Joe Borchard.

Frater Perdurabo
05-29-2010, 03:12 PM
I hear he will mostly play first base, which is a weak offensive spot with the Giants (hence sports reporters tying to start rumors of a deal sending Konerko to the Giants). Posey has played about a dozen games at first with Fresno this season. He has played about twice that at catcher.

Molina has been a great defensive catcher. Whiteside has been a quite good as a backup catcher. The master plan is probably to not bring back Molina next year and replace him with Posey.

Some fans wanted that Giants to call up their second-leading hitter at Fresno, an outfielder hitting about .330 with one more homer than Posey. That would be Joe Borchard.

What do the Giants have that might interest the Sox, who they might be able to get in a hypothetical deal for Konerko? Any solid left-handed hitting 3B prospects who can actually field the position well?

VMSNS
05-29-2010, 03:36 PM
What do the Giants have that might interest the Sox, who they might be able to get in a hypothetical deal for Konerko? Any solid left-handed hitting 3B prospects who can actually field the position well?

Aaron Rowand.

GAsoxfan
05-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Aaron Rowand.

Joe Borchard

TDog
05-29-2010, 04:29 PM

Teal or not in a subsequent response, if Aaron Rowand had signed with the White Sox before the 2008 season instead of going to the Giants (and who could blame him for that money), recent White Sox history would be much different. You wouldn't have seen Nick Swisher in a White Sox uniform. You might not have see Dewayne Wise in a White Sox uniform. Maybe Mark Buehrle doesn't pitch a perfect game or maybe Aaron Rowand re-breaks his nose saving a Mark Buehrle perfect game. Maybe the Rays never go to the World Series. But I digress.

The Giants have great pitching, but they really don't have a surplus of pitching. They have fifth-starter issues because their can't-miss minor league phenom has regressed, and there is question of whether he will ever be a quality major league pitcher. They have a couple of other pitching prospects, but they aren't going to get someone being groomed as a starter in the next couple of years for a few months of Konerko, who would probably refuse to go to San Francisco anyway, especially in a contract year to a big ballpark to hit against pitchers he doesn't know.

The Joe Borchard response is funny, though.

WSox597
05-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Thank goodness we don't need outfielders, or the "brain trust" running this team might trade for Borchard. LOL

This place would go bananas if that happened.

palehozenychicty
06-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Thank goodness we don't need outfielders, or the "brain trust" running this team might trade for Borchard. LOL

This place would go bananas if that happened.

We do need outfielders, outside of Rios. I'll give Carlos another year, but if he's shipped out, it's all good with me.