PDA

View Full Version : Padres mix up ex-Sox players

NDSox12
05-28-2010, 10:20 PM
The Padres submitted an invalid lineup card tonight, listing Adam Russell as the starting pitcher rather than Clayton Richard. The Nationals are now playing the game under protest. To make this even more interesting, Russell was sent down to AAA earlier today.

voodoochile
05-28-2010, 10:25 PM
The Padres submitted an invalid lineup card tonight, listing Adam Russell as the starting pitcher rather than Clayton Richard. The Nationals are now playing the game under protest. To make this even more interesting, Russell was sent down to AAA earlier today.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess there is a compute involved in this mistake. I can't see the manager making that kind of mistake.

Slappy
05-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Whoa, that's kinda bizarre. I was checking the status of the game and it said it was delayed - thought it was due to rain. It looks like they've resumed play now, though.

What does playing the game under protest mean?

TDog
05-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Whoa, that's kinda bizarre. I was checking the status of the game and it said it was delayed - thought it was due to rain. It looks like they've resumed play now, though.

What does playing the game under protest mean?

The protesting team agrees to play the game while disputing its legality. The George Brett pine tar game is the only protest I can remember every being upheld.

Seriously, this could be a legitimate protest. My understanding is that the pitcher on the lineup card had to pitch to at least one batter. In June of 1976, Angels manager Dick Williams (who took three franchises to the World Series in his four World Series appearances) accidentally wrote in Nolan Ryan in the Angels lineup card a day before he was scheduled to pitch. It happened in Old Comiskey. Ryan had to pitch to Chet Lemon, who grounded out, before being replaced by scheduled starter Gary Ross.

The Sox lost 2-1 in 10 innings.

DumpJerry
05-29-2010, 12:26 AM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/bpv/images/2/26/Bevingtonterry.jpg (http://www.baseball-reference.com/bpv/images/2/26/Bevingtonterry.jpg)
What a dumbass. I mean who makes mistakes like that?

Oh..........never mind.....

GoGoCrede
05-29-2010, 12:30 AM
Wow, I had no idea where Adam Russell ended up till I read this thread.

NDSox12
05-29-2010, 12:39 AM
Looks like the protest will be withdrawn. The Nats won 5-3.

DumpJerry
05-29-2010, 12:47 AM
Wow, I had no idea where Adam Russell ended up till I read this thread.
He was part of the Peavy haul.

GoGoCrede
05-29-2010, 12:51 AM
He was part of the Peavy haul.

Ugh, I should've remembered that.

Daver
05-29-2010, 12:53 AM
Looks like the protest will be withdrawn. The Nats won 5-3.

They do not have to withdraw the protest because they won.

NDSox12
05-29-2010, 01:45 AM
They do not have to withdraw the protest because they won.

What would happen if they do not withdraw it and it is upheld? Would the game resume from the point it was protested or would it be a forfeit? If the former, obviously the Nats would be nuts not to withdraw.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-29-2010, 04:09 AM
Here's part of rule 4.19:

"Even if it is held that the protested decision violated the rules, no replay of the game will be ordered unless, in the opinion of the League President, the violation adversely affected the protesting team's chances of winning the game."

Since the protesting team won, obviously the mishap didn't affect their chance of winning. I just think the protest is to let the league know that the ump screwed up.

05-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Take your pick of ex-White Sox players here in San Diego.

Garland
Richard
Russell
Poreda
Aaron Cunningham

I think there is more..