PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 'The Price Is Right.... Four Now' 5/28 White Sox vs TAM Postgame Thread

soxinem1
05-28-2010, 09:46 PM
An insurance run because of a strike out. About time we caught a break.

Price > Talbott. Price 0-2, Talbott 2-0 against the White Sox this year.

Freddy with a nice job against a great lineup, and what would we do if we didn't have Rios in our lineup. Did anyone think he would ever bat third at any time before the year started?

I think it is time Thornton starts closing games.

And tomorrow, once again, we'll go for two in a row.

SephClone89
05-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Big Game Freddy!

GoGoCrede
05-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Great win, just what we needed.

Gavin's my favorite pitcher on this staff, but Freddy's giving him a run for his money in that department. He's been so great for us. Glad we gave him a shot.

Also, I hate Balfour.

Slappy
05-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Awesome! I only caught the last half inning cuz I was on Critical Mass, but that is a promising showing.

Is someone gonna do a totally biased game recap thing?

soxinem1
05-28-2010, 09:50 PM

We are all waiting for Horsemaster Fred to lead the way!!:smile:

balke
Loved the coaching decisions on pitchers tonight. Great game by Freddy - nice to see Beckham get some hits.

cheezheadsoxfan
Nice to see Gordon with the RBI. I'll admit I was a little skeptical about Freddy's return but he has made me a believer. :cool:

soxinem1
05-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Loved the coaching decisions on pitchers tonight. Great game by Freddy - nice to see Beckham get some hits.

It helped that Ozzie wasn't making those decisions.

voodoochile
Biggest difference in the game was that Rios got his big hit a few feet higher and a little bit harder than Longoria did.

Still the Sox get a clue with Sweaty Freddie in the dome with a fishing rod and beat the best team in baseball on a night when pitching was the story.

Nice to see Gordon climb back over the Mendoza line with a huge insurance run producing single. Way to go Beckham, keep it going.

:soxwin:

:)

kevingrt
Huge, clutch single by Bacon in the 9th. Big HR by Castro. Thornton, Santos pitch lights out from the 'pen. And Freddy you pitched your behind off.

Very nice win.

Still would like to see those bats get going though.

PushinWeight
05-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Awesome. Let's take another game or two in this dump of a stadium and lets leave St. Pete happy campers.

GoGoCrede
05-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Price's only two losses this season have been against us. Awesome.

Slappy
05-28-2010, 09:58 PM
What did I say? This lineup we had tonight is a winner.

Or did we just get the Joey Cora Bump? :redface:

It's Dankerific
05-28-2010, 09:59 PM
I knew the game was over when Matt stayed in the ballgame.

FielderJones
05-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Still would like to see those bats get going though.

Price's only two losses this season have been against us. Awesome.

That was a good offensive output against a quality pitcher. The guy's ERA is under 3 and he has 7 wins. Also, the Sox took advantage of two big mistakes by their catcher.

Nelfox02
05-28-2010, 10:03 PM
I wont lie---I said on this board before the game that this team had "zero" chance of winning tonight......VERY glad I was wrong!

Rios---have a game tonight

Danks, come out strong tomorrow, lets get some offense behind him and secure the split tomorrow

honestly they leave this series with a split and I am satisfied

asindc
05-28-2010, 10:09 PM
An insurance run because of a strike out. About time we caught a break.

Price > Talbott. Price 0-2, Talbott 2-0 against the White Sox this year.

Freddy with a nice job against a great lineup, and what would we do if we didn't have Rios in our lineup. Did anyone think he would ever bat third at any time before the year started?

And tomorrow, once again, we'll go for two in a row.

I did.:smile:

I'm glad to see Beckham have a really good game and come through in the clutch. If we get the top six in our lineup going consistently, we can get to .500 sooner than later. Also, :gulp:to Castro!

GoGoCrede
05-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Per Merkin:

Jenks is day-to-day once again after tweaking his calf during warmups

TDog
05-28-2010, 10:13 PM
It begins with great starting pitching -- great and not just very good because it is from the pitcher most believed would be the weakest link in a great rotation.

When you get seven strong innings from your starter, with the lead you have more bullpen flexibility. You can look to your bullpen for favorable matchups because you only need two innings out of your bullpen. I would much rather the White Sox close according to matchups.

The first three hitters in the Sox lineup each got on base twice. Of course, Castro's home run was big, as was Beckham's single to score an unearned run in the ninth. The Rios home run wouldn't have been enough to win.

I wonder if it bothers people that the first three runs scored on home runs. It looked like the White Sox did hit some balls well with runners in scoring position but didn't have anything to show for it.

I haven't seen enough of the Rays' new catcher, to judge, but I am wondering if he has the defensive stuff to catch in a pennant race, catching being such a critical defensive position.

It was interesting to see both teams sacrificing early in the game. I think Vizquel might have come in to sacrifice in the ninth, before going in for defense in the bottom of the inning anyway, but with the second passed ball, his mission changed and he ended up failing to hit the ball to the right side. Without Beckham's two-out hit, that would have cost the Sox a run.

October26
05-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Sox win! Sox win! :bandance: Thank you Joey, Freddy, Alex, Ramon, Sergio, Gordon, & Matt for making this White Sox winner happen tonight.

I called my dad after this win and he sounded so happy. He said to me: "I love it when the White sox play well and win." Me too, daddy, me too.

Does this win fix everything? Of course not, but this Sox win made my dad happy and it made me smile tonight. :smile:

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I love the title of this thread. Well done!

Shoeless
05-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Per Merkin:

God wants Thornton to close.

soltrain21
05-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Per Merkin:

I don't believe that.

soxnut1018
05-28-2010, 11:11 PM
I didn't get to see this one as I was busy graduating from high school, but it's good to see the Sox win with Beckham playing a key role. If we are going to do anything this year, Bacon has to play better.

Brian26
05-28-2010, 11:22 PM

Will be posted a bit later.

Hell of a game. Great win.

WhiteSox1989
05-28-2010, 11:39 PM
I missed this one, but was following it on my phone. Seemed to be a pretty good game by the Sox, obviously.

Alex Rios is good.

october23sp
05-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Me not watching or even paying attention to the game = Sox win.

thomas35forever
05-29-2010, 01:50 AM
That was an excellent at-bat by Beckham in the ninth. Hopefully, this is a sign of good things to come for him (and us, for that matter).

jabrch
05-29-2010, 02:27 AM
I have no idea how Freddy isn't hit harder than he was today. (I know - he has had some stinkers...) He just had them off balance the whole night. Is he the best 5th starter in baseball? (Shame #1, #2 and #4 aren't stepping up)

guillensdisciple
05-29-2010, 04:20 AM
Good to know I am eating a bunch of crow with my talk. I will continue so long as we succeed.

Go Sox, and I know we will do extremely well.

harwar
05-29-2010, 07:07 AM
I liked Freddy's nonverbal face communication with the umpire the first few innings, as they got the strike zone settled out .. one pitch wasn't working so he canned it right away .. he's such a smart pitcher and i believe he would make a great pitching coach, when he's done .. it had to be a great feeling for Beckham getting that solid hit for a late rbi .. i wish Nix could hit .. he's much better at 2nd but i don't cringe when a ball is hit to 3rd, when he's there, like i do with Teahen ..

WSox597
05-29-2010, 08:29 AM
I don't believe that.

Whatever keeps him from pitching with the game on the line, is okay with me.

Garbage time only for this kid until he removes his head from his nether regions.

wassagstdu
05-29-2010, 09:18 AM
The most satisfying part of this win was Beckham's at bat in the 9th and the huge RBI hit. He is starting to remind me of last year's version.

kufram
05-29-2010, 09:21 AM
This was the kind of game I hoped we'd win more of this year. Maybe we still will. We've certainly had a few like this go the other way. 5 hits feels like 10 when you beat a good team in their park. Maybe we can take another one.... we're due an offensive outburst THAT'S for sure!

cards press box
05-29-2010, 11:11 AM

Thornton or Putz may be closing games this year, particularly if Jenks is hurt or ultimately dealt. The next long term closer for the Sox? Sergio Santos, unless the Sox conclude that he has enough pitches to start and would be better utilized in that role. Right now, though, Santos sure looks like he will be a lights out closer.

Craig Grebeck
05-29-2010, 11:20 AM
I would absolutely love to see Santos start some games. Give the guy a shot later this summer if we're out of it, once Garcia is dealt and we want to preserve Buehrle/Peavy.

Frater Perdurabo
05-29-2010, 11:27 AM
I would absolutely love to see Santos start some games. Give the guy a shot later this summer if we're out of it, once Garcia is dealt and we want to preserve Buehrle/Peavy.

I'm tempted to keep Garcia for 2011 and let Hudson spend a year in the pen to get acclimated to the majors.

Frankfan4life
05-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Garcia is a big-game pitcher. He showed up yesterday and, fortunately, so did some hitting. I had an unexpectedly good time at the Trop. I also want to thank Cora (correction, I said Ozzie)for not putting Jenks in the game. I kept looking to see who was warming up and every time I didn't see Jenks, I was relieved.

I never expect two wins in a row but it's possible if we can get some more offense today.

hawkjt
05-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Tonite is another big game with Danks on the mound. On paper, Sox have the edge ..now make it happen Sox!
I had to laugh at Ramon's homer...just about the cheapest homer this side of the Pesky Pole. 316 ft on a line drive just inside the pole...nice placement,Ramon!:D:

I make fun of Ramon's glacier slow bat,but I have to give it to him..he has come up with big clutch hits twice this year,and honestly, that might match or out-do AJ's clutch hits for the year,with AJ having many more opportunities.

Freddys comment after the game was priceless; '' I threw a lot of changeups, I threw a lot of bullspit''

Smoke and mirrors often bedevils the Sox hitters, seems like it works on the fastball hitting Rays also....cool.

Brian26
05-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Tonite is another big game with Danks on the mound. On paper, Sox have the edge ..now make it happen Sox!
I had to laugh at Ramon's homer...just about the cheapest homer this side of the Pesky Pole. 316 ft on a line drive just inside the pole...nice

315' or 316' down the line, and it barely cleared that fence that appears to be 5-ft tall.

kufram
05-29-2010, 01:01 PM
I guess Castro's was a cheap home run but he scalded that ball. He has got some serious flak here in the past but he appears to be a very solid back-up catcher. That is his job.

Craig Grebeck
05-29-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm tempted to keep Garcia for 2011 and let Hudson spend a year in the pen to get acclimated to the majors.
I'd rather just call up Hudson in June and let him get acclimated now.

PalehosePlanet
05-29-2010, 01:55 PM

Me too. No point in keeping him in AAA, even if we don't start selling off bullpen pieces we can find a spot for him on the MLB roster.

Craig Grebeck
05-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Me too. No point in keeping him in AAA, even if we don't start selling off bullpen pieces we can find a spot for him on the MLB roster.
He'll be valuable for us in 2011, and he'll be valuable for us in 2010. Bullpen now, rotation later -- it's a good plan.

Frater Perdurabo
05-29-2010, 02:30 PM

I guess that's OK, too. I just want him to do a nice long stint in the long relief/spot start role, rather than be forced to become another Ozzie ROOGY.

Craig Grebeck
05-29-2010, 02:41 PM
I guess that's OK, too. I just want him to do a nice long stint in the long relief/spot start role, rather than be forced to become another Ozzie ROOGY.
I'd be fine with him working as a two inning guy and a swing guy. If he's up, I want him used.

Then again, having him up and working with Coop will be good too.

Frater Perdurabo
05-29-2010, 03:01 PM
I'd be fine with him working as a two inning guy and a swing guy. If he's up, I want him used.

Then again, having him up and working with Coop will be good too.

I'd be fine with having Hudson start the seventh inning and finish the game.

I just don't want to see Ozzie bring him in to clean up a bases juiced, no-out situation with Michael Cuddyer at bat, only then to yank him so Williams can walk Thome or Kubel.

But that's exactly the kind of thing Ozzie would do, because Ozzie loves overusing his middle relievers just to get L/L and R/R matchups.