PDA

View Full Version : When the Sox knew how to pick 'em in the draft

DumpJerry
05-28-2010, 01:51 PM
This (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/05/ventura-tracking-bid-to-erase-hitting-streak-mark.html) article reminds me of when a First Round Pick by the White Sox meant something year after year.

SI1020
05-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Didn't the Sox fire the guy responsible for those drafts because they wanted to go from point A to Point B?

russ99
05-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Has nothing to do with that. Jerry cripples the signing budget by going along with Bud's ridiculous idea of capping bonuses to a slot.

The last 8-10 years of Sox 1st and 2nd round picks prior to Beckham were all safe picks based on expected bonuses and signibility over overall talent. Well, except for Borchard and Anderson, and look how that turned out.

Brian26
05-28-2010, 02:56 PM
The Sox made some good picks in those four drafts, but they also were very, very fortunate that teams in front of them made some very poor picks. I was just reading some stories recently about the '88 draft and was surprised to find out that the Cubs actually picked before the Sox and passed on Ventura.

TheOldRoman
05-28-2010, 03:04 PM
Has nothing to do with that. Jerry cripples the signing budget by going along with Bud's ridiculous idea of capping bonuses to a slot.

The last 8-10 years of Sox 1st and 2nd round picks prior to Beckham were all safe picks based on expected bonuses and signibility over overall talent. Well, except for Borchard and Anderson, and look how that turned out.First round busts are higher profile, but the drafting and scouting as a whole has been poor. I imagine if you look at any top 100 prospect list the majority of them were drafted after the 2nd round. The Sox may have missed on some higher ranked guys because they didn't want to go above slot, but their problems are due to poor drafting instead of cheapness.

Since drafting Denard Span in the first round in 2002, the Twins have whiffed on every first round pick except Matt Garza, but they are still deep.

Lip Man 1
05-28-2010, 03:12 PM
SI:

Larry Himes was fired for a number of reasons among them the fact that apparently he couldn't get along with folks in the front office, that according to JR on the Chet Coppock show.

There were some other things involved including an unwillingness to deal minor league prospects for major league talent which upset ownership, passing on some deals which in retrospect were incredible and failing to block some acquisitions that got through waivers to the A's in 1990.

Some of this will be coming out in the next interview here at WSI.

Lip

SI1020
05-28-2010, 03:21 PM
SI:

Larry Himes was fired for a number of reasons among them the fact that apparently he couldn't get along with folks in the front office, that according to JR on the Chet Coppock show.

There were some other things involved including an unwillingness to deal minor league prospects for major league talent which upset ownership, passing on some deals which in retrospect were incredible and failing to block some acquisitions that got through waivers to the A's in 1990.

Lip Well hurry up and get it to press. :D:

WhiteSoxFTW
05-28-2010, 04:53 PM
SI:

Lip

Awesome. Looking forward to reading it.

Lip Man 1
05-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Gang:

George has it (Pale Hose George) and he'll release it to the main page when he feels it's appropriate. It's one of the better interviews I've been fortunate to do, a lot of ground was covered and some of the items said in the conversation made me do a double-take.

I think it will make for interesting reading.

Lip

Crestani
05-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Gang:

George has it (Pale Hose George) and he'll release it to the main page when he feels it's appropriate. It's one of the better interviews I've been fortunate to do, a lot of ground was covered and some of the items said in the conversation made me do a double-take.

I think it will make for interesting reading.

Lip

lip...Who was the interview with? Himes?

Lip Man 1
05-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Crestani:

You'll have to wait and see.

:D:

Lip