PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on Dave Kaplan

pythons007
05-28-2010, 11:01 AM
I saw another ridiculous post about Kaplan that just baffles me. Apparently he had an interview with Kenny Williams and had to bring up the Cubs. After Mark Buehrle's perfect game, he still believed Kerry Wood's 20 strikeout game was better. Who is Dave Kaplan and where can we find a decent replacement on Chicago Cubune Live?

TheOldRoman
05-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Answer to the thread title: Douchebag.

Risk
05-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Answer to the thread title: Douchebag.

I only wish that one of the poll options was "ill-informed, bald, blue kool-aid drinking asshat."

Risk

soltrain21
05-28-2010, 11:37 AM
The guy's blog is one of the worst I've ever seen - he makes the pollyannas of WSI seem like the Dark Clouds.

Really, he has said so many stupid things that the perfect game/Kerry Wood strikeout debate is very very far down the list.

eriqjaffe
05-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Here are my thoughts on Dave Kaplan:

MarySwiss
05-28-2010, 11:56 AM
I usually look at the column he co-authors in the Tribune just to see if a day will go by that there isn't SOME mention of the Cubs in it. So far, I haven't seen it happen.

SOXPHILE
05-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Pretty useless, and as others have mentioned, a clueless pollyanna. Also, the fact that he has joined Fred Mitchell in writing that daily "Around Town" feature in the Tribune, makes him even worse. Without that, we would never know what sports celebrities were spotted at which restaurant / bar. Thank you so much for that useful information.

jdm2662
05-28-2010, 12:13 PM
I've posted many times he is nothing but a Cubbie Loving tool. He's worse than Mike Murphy in that regards. CTL was a great show when Jiggets hosted it. He ran the show great, started great discussions, and did not have any bias to it. Kaplan is FAR from that. I haven't watched that show since Jiggets left. Kaplan is so unbearable. I'd rather watch Mike North!

tacosalbarojas
05-28-2010, 01:06 PM
He should have stuck to high school basketball reporting. That's where he belongs.

TheCommander
05-28-2010, 01:14 PM
I saw another ridiculous post about Kaplan that just baffles me. Apparently he had an interview with Kenny Williams and had to bring up the Cubs.

I saw that interview on CSN and he referenced the Cubs more than once.:rolleyes: At one point he mentioned growing up a Cubs fan and Kenny interrupted with,"And how's that working out for ya?" :D:

WhiteSox5187
05-28-2010, 01:17 PM
He's not a good reporter and I have no idea how he's managed to come as far as he's come.

34 Inch Stick
05-28-2010, 01:44 PM
After a decade or so of being on the most listened to radio station in this city, I really have no thoughts about him...that's not good for him.

On the other hand his googly eye coupled with a shaved head gives off a creepy vibe. If I saw him driving down the block in a car I wouldn't let my kids anywhere near the window.

slavko
05-28-2010, 01:47 PM
He's not a good reporter and I have no idea how he's managed to come as far as he's come.

He had a very successful radio show with Waddle who managed to provide the edge he lacks. He does a nice softball interiew, he isn't that sharp, and he is cub-obsessed. Something about him, maybe the way he talks, maybe the taste in clothes, chaps my saddle. Sounds like he annoys others too.

skobabe8
05-28-2010, 02:21 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aSK0nu4EOEg/SJ9CDBB163I/AAAAAAAAAYY/EZHDcp0CvCw/s320/Picture+1.png

Yuck.

MarySwiss
05-28-2010, 02:29 PM
He had a very successful radio show with Waddle who managed to provide the edge he lacks. He does a nice softball interiew, he isn't that sharp, and he is cub-obsessed. Something about him, maybe the way he talks, maybe the taste in clothes, chaps my saddle. Sounds like he annoys others too.

To put it mildly! IMO, he, like Mike North, is unwatchable.

sullythered
05-28-2010, 06:44 PM
I can't look at him. Not just for his goofy behavior, but for his appearance. His fake-bake tan physically upsets me. Next time you see him on tv, check it out. He's so grotesquely tan it makes his lips and nail beds look starkly white by contrast. Also, he looks kind of like the creature from the black lagoon.

Dub25
05-28-2010, 11:29 PM
To put it mildly! IMO, he, like Mike North, is unwatchable.

I agree but if given the choice give me North. At least he is so bad it is funny.

tick53
05-31-2010, 08:43 AM
Kaplan's a total pantload. As I mentioned a few weeks back in a thread regarding the Blackhawks, he called The UC "The Frozen Confines" like the Cubs and their fans are the only worthy of the Hawks. Total bunghole!!!

Dick Allen
05-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Kaplan is fairly knowledgable about HS and college basketball. Anything else, he speaks strictly as a fan, and therefore, needs to keep his mug and big yap off the airwaves.

roylestillman
06-02-2010, 07:06 AM
This says it all: I was at Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals Sunday night. Just before the lights go down for the intros out walks this little bald man from the Zamboni doors. He strolls across the ice and walks to the bench area and enters there. It was Kaplan and I thought, this is so typical of him - "watch me, I have access." Every other reporter worked the night by actually using the hallways but "Kap" had 22,275 people he had to be seen by.

He has turned Chicago Tribune Live into The Dave Kaplan Show. It is overproduced with polls, lists, excessive graphics, and references to headlines for "Chicago Breaking News." Every show now includes some "personality" in town shilling a new book or product. It is obvious that at some production meeting he was told (or probably decided himself) to be aggresively "controversial" to the point that the other panalists make fun of him (Van Dyke and Haugh in particular.) His personal crusade to make himself of voting member of the Baseball Hall of Fame is shameless. That "column" in the Trib is nothing more than a vehicle with every publicist in town to develop a bank of outstanding favors. I bet the guy doesn't have to pay for a single meal in town.

The Cub bias thing is now part of his "schtick" and complaining about it just makes him happy. The comical fake tan race between him and David Schuster is epic.

In short the guy makes my skin crawl.

1908<2005
06-08-2010, 06:34 AM
This says it all: I was at Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals Sunday night. Just before the lights go down for the intros out walks this little bald man from the Zamboni doors. He strolls across the ice and walks to the bench area and enters there. It was Kaplan and I thought, this is so typical of him - "watch me, I have access." Every other reporter worked the night by actually using the hallways but "Kap" had 22,275 people he had to be seen by.

He has turned Chicago Tribune Live into The Dave Kaplan Show. It is overproduced with polls, lists, excessive graphics, and references to headlines for "Chicago Breaking News." Every show now includes some "personality" in town shilling a new book or product. It is obvious that at some production meeting he was told (or probably decided himself) to be aggresively "controversial" to the point that the other panalists make fun of him (Van Dyke and Haugh in particular.) His personal crusade to make himself of voting member of the Baseball Hall of Fame is shameless. That "column" in the Trib is nothing more than a vehicle with every publicist in town to develop a bank of outstanding favors. I bet the guy doesn't have to pay for a single meal in town.

The Cub bias thing is now part of his "schtick" and complaining about it just makes him happy. The comical fake tan race between him and David Schuster is epic.

In short the guy makes my skin crawl.

So do you like him or not?

DrCrawdad
06-08-2010, 07:59 AM
So do you like him or not?

...In short the guy makes my skin crawl.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say no, "roylestillman" does not like Kaplan.

kittle42
06-08-2010, 09:01 AM
I've watched 4-5 episodes of Chicago Tribune Live since this poll went up. Man, this guy simply cannot wait to talk about the Cubs - like every other sentence - no matter what sport is being discussed - has to go back to the Cubs.

It's like Hawk and umpires/Yaz.

pythons007
06-08-2010, 09:40 AM
I've watched 4-5 episodes of Chicago Tribune Live since this poll went up. Man, this guy simply cannot wait to talk about the Cubs - like every other sentence - no matter what sport is being discussed - has to go back to the Cubs.

It's like Hawk and umpires/Yaz.

Except when Hawk talks about umpires/Yaz its at least in the same sports topic and has some relevance to the game.

Kaplan had his Cub talk comes out of left field. He'll be talkingt to someone about the Hawks, and this is how the conversation will go. "Kane had a hat trick, but where does that compare to Kerry Wood's 20 strikeout game? Kerry Wood is awesome. Do you think the Cubs have a chance this year? Should they make a trade of Fukudome and Derek Lee for Albert Pujols and Matt Holliday? It's even, if at all a little advantage to the Cardinals."

"Wait what were we talking about? I love the Cubs, they are great! Aren't they?"

Rocky Soprano
06-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Why does anyone even bother to watch?

doublem23
06-08-2010, 09:49 AM

I don't know, I haven't watched CTL in over a year and am better off for it, just like when I refused to read the Sun-Times sports section when a certain asshat columnist was on their payroll.

Life is too short and sports are too fun to get bent out of shape by these dimwitted morons. Kaplan is a joke, for sure, but he won't ruin my good time.

pythons007
06-08-2010, 04:46 PM

Actually I'm one to refuse to watch. However, I sometimes stumble across the show and maybe watch for a max of a couple minutes before I have to puke in my mouth.

Medford Bobby
06-08-2010, 06:00 PM
This guy lives rent free inside my head.:scratch: