PDA

View Full Version : Passan Column on Joe West

cheezheadsoxfan
05-27-2010, 10:32 PM
Didn't see this anywhere else. Hopefully MLB will follow thru.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AgjgGRAkqcz7pdks5rdj1cARvLYF?slug=jp-west052710

Slappy
05-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Well done, Mr. Passan. Well done.

Crede24Thome25
05-27-2010, 10:45 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AgjgGRAkqcz7pdks5rdj1cARvLYF?slug=jp-west052710
You beat me to it, I got goosebumps reading it.:D:

SBSoxFan
05-27-2010, 11:21 PM
That, Mr. Passan, was a sacred effort.

Marqhead
05-27-2010, 11:22 PM
Great read.

DrCrawdad
05-27-2010, 11:28 PM

Great article!!!

I can't wait to attend Joe West Demolition Night!

Lip Man 1
05-27-2010, 11:29 PM
Great column

Lip

WSox597
05-28-2010, 08:31 AM
What was the umpire's name back years ago, who wrote that book "The umpire strikes back"?

Luciano or something like that?

I think "umpire as star" started with that guy, and went downhill from there.

If we know an umpire's name, he's doing something wrong. They should be part of the scenery. Too bad most of them couldn't be replaced by technology, many of their calls are so bad it's unreal. You wonder what game they're watching sometimes.

Some sort of electronics for calling balls and strikes, at least there would be a consistent strike zone.

pythons007
05-28-2010, 09:13 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AtOE7oUCMrDbc4rK9MCOjHk5nYcB?slug=jp-west052710

This article actually tells the facts of what happened compared to the previous articles stating Buehrle needed to be held back and he slammed his glove to the ground while having word for West.

On a brighter side, it looks like West will get what he deserves. A TIME OUT!

P.S. Let's try and keep this one clean, the last Joe West thread ended up in the RoadHouse. I was one to add to the fire, but let's keep this one clean. Thanks

vinny
05-28-2010, 09:27 AM
What was the umpire's name back years ago, who wrote that book "The umpire strikes back"?

Ron Luciano. Buffoon. He was only in the bigs for 10 years before calling it a career. But he spent those 10 years making an ass of himself. Did himself in about 15 years ago.

Regardless, I tend to agree with your assessment. He was no Doug Harvey, that's for sure.

tebman
05-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Well put. Bad umpires rankle me in a visceral way, and West is the archetype of the bad umpire: self-promoting and marginally competent.

As a Sox fan it irks me all the more that Buehrle was the victim of that clown's grandstanding. I can only hope that the league follows through and metes out whatever mysterious discipline they serve on rogue umpires.

DumpJerry
05-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Time off won't hurt him, he has too many streams of revenue outside of his MLB paycheck.

Driving from New York to Chicago in a Cooper Mini with only Hawk Harrelson as the other occupant of the car, however..............

Marqhead
05-28-2010, 09:51 AM
What's the score?

harwar
05-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Reading this article by Jeff Passan was like a healing balm on a wound for me .. this guy(west) makes me so crazy angry that i want to explode .. how satisfying it must be to be able to write like that .. this line will always go together with the anathema that is joe west in my mind .. "acting like a rent-a-cop who wields his badge like he’s Wyatt Earp" .. yea .. that's him alright

Over By There
05-28-2010, 12:48 PM
As much as I enjoyed the article, I hate that every article that gets written probably makes Joe West think, "no such thing as bad publicity. Mission accomplished."

Rocky Soprano
05-28-2010, 12:59 PM
As much as I enjoyed the article, I hate that every article that gets written probably makes Joe West think, "no such thing as bad publicity. Mission accomplished."

I agree, I am sure that West is loving all this attention.

Zakath
05-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Never been a huge fan of Passan, but this will definitely raise him up a bit in my book.

WhiteSoxFTW
05-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Jeff Passan :clap:

Boondock Saint
05-28-2010, 06:00 PM

I could give two ****s about Joe West's publicity, because I know that when his baseball career is over, he won't be a famous country singer, succeeding in the umpiring gear business, or whatever else he's trying to make money off of. He'll be nothing more than "That old ******* umpire".

Coops4Aces
05-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Joe West got fined (along with Ozzie and Mark of course)

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5230498

Crede24Thome25
05-28-2010, 06:17 PM

I'm pretty surprised it got out that Joe "fat ass" West got fined. I'm happy with it though.

TDog
05-28-2010, 08:48 PM
I agree with the columnist, of course. This is consistent with my postgame post after the balk game where I wrote that I never trust an umpire with a publicist.

It's Dankerific
05-28-2010, 09:06 PM
I agree with the columnist, of course. This is consistent with my postgame post after the balk game where I wrote that I never trust an umpire with a publicist.

Has an umpire ever had one before?

voodoochile
05-28-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm pretty surprised it got out that Joe "fat ass" West got fined. I'm happy with it though.

You know it was comments like this that got the last thread closed and roadhoused as an embarrassment. So please stop doing it. If I have to close and lock this one too, I'm going to hand out a bunch of rips and yes, that could well include you...

TDog
05-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Has an umpire ever had one before?

I believe Ron Luciano did, but I'm not sure when he acquired one.

southside rocks
05-28-2010, 09:42 PM

And neither Ozzie nor Buehrle got suspended, which I found interesting -- I bet that from an altercation with any other umpire, they'd each have gotten some games off. By not suspending either of them, it seems to me that MLB is making West look like he was petty and abusing his authority when he tossed them from the game. Excellent. The sooner Joe West retires, the better for baseball.

SBSoxFan
05-29-2010, 07:50 AM

If we know an umpire's name, he's doing something wrong. They should be part of the scenery. Too bad most of them couldn't be replaced by technology, many of their calls are so bad it's unreal. You wonder what game they're watching sometimes.

Some sort of electronics for calling balls and strikes, at least there would be a consistent strike zone.

But didn't he write that book after retiring?

WSox597
05-29-2010, 08:32 AM
But didn't he write that book after retiring?

I don't remember for sure, but I thought it was while he was active. He came across as a publicity hound back then.

WisSoxFan
05-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Luciano was doing the color commentary for the NBC, I believe, Saturday game of the week when he wrote the book "The Umpire Strikes Back."

TDog
05-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Luciano was doing the color commentary for the NBC, I believe, Saturday game of the week when he wrote the book "The Umpire Strikes Back."

Luciano wrote five books after he retired. Or at least he had someone write them for him. They were successful books as such books go, for the most part. He sought attention before his retirement to put himself in a position to be a commentator and to market his career after retiring. Joe Garagiola loved him, and his books weren't so different from Garagiola's.

While umpiring in the American League, he once said he didn't care who won as long as the Orioles lost. From there on out, he didn't umpire any Orioles games. I'm not sure how soon his retirement followed.

At the autopsy after Luicano killed himself at the age of 47, the coroner found no indication that he had any health problems.