PDA

View Full Version : This team has problems

balboner
06-19-2002, 11:37 PM
For starters, how can anyone have faith in their manager when he thinks of "long-term" as a week? First it was Royce, now Foulke. Second, Foulke had no command, as it was obvious to anyone that watched the 8th. Even though Marter pitched a lot last night, he should have been brought in to face Giambi in the 9th.
Also, am I the only one that feels like the entire team has lost their aggressiveness? W/o bunt hits, Lofton has been very bad, and why not let Harris try to steal 2nd, then bunt him to 3rd w/less than 2 outs?

Tragg
06-19-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by balboner
For starters, how can anyone have faith in their manager when he thinks of "long-term" as a week? First it was Royce, now Foulke. Second, Foulke had no command, as it was obvious to anyone that watched the 8th. Even though Marter pitched a lot last night, he should have been brought in to face Giambi in the 9th.
Also, am I the only one that feels like the entire team has lost their aggressiveness? W/o bunt hits, Lofton has been very bad, and why not let Harris try to steal 2nd, then bunt him to 3rd w/less than 2 outs?

Because Clayton would have been the one to drive him in, and that's a pipe dream.

Wunsch had only pitched once since Saturday, which is well rested on this bullpen, and either should have been saved until later, or used for more than one inning.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
06-19-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by balboner

Defenitely. I totally agree. We are a team that is walking on eggshells every night. We have a manager that doesn't know what the hell he's doing, a pitching coach that couldn't tell a baseball from a bowling ball & a hitting coach that acts like he was dropped on his head as a boy.
We're not going anywhere this year my friends.

RKMeibalane
06-20-2002, 05:21 AM
In light of yet another disasterous appearance, Keith Foulke has lost any shred of credibility he had left prior to last night's game. I don't know why Manuel can't make a decision and then stick by it for a long period of time.

Over the past 2-3 weeks, he has said or done the following, and then gone back on his word:

1. Royce Clayton benched until further notice.

Clayton sat for two games, and then was back in the lineup against the Kansas City Royals for a Thursday afternoon game.

2. Keith Foulke demoted from closer role.

Yet, there he was last night, working in a late-inning, pressure situation, and he blew it... again.

3. Paul Konerko is the Sox first baseman. He won't be benched anytime soon.

Three days after uttering that statement, Jerry Manuel inserted Francis Thomas :smile: into the lineup against the Philles. Thomas went 0-4 with a walk and a strikeout.

Of course, Manuel also said the following regarding Thomas:

"I would like to get him in the lineup for one of the three Cubs games."

Thomas did not start any of the three games. Instead, he embarrassed himself at the plate, striking out in both of his appearances. Bah!

TornLabrum
06-20-2002, 02:22 PM
In light of yet another disasterous appearance, Keith Foulke has lost any shred of credibility he had left prior to last night's game. I don't know why Manuel can't make a decision and then stick by it for a long period of time.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who has been noticing this inconsistency on the part of our fearless field general. In fact a major part of a column I submitted yesterday mentions Manuel's inability to stick by what he says.

:angry: