PDA

View Full Version : Brent Morel Questions

Lip Man 1
05-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Next week the Sox are having a call in interview with Brent Morel, their possible future at 3rd base.

I know some of you really follow the minor leagues closely. If you have any question that you think should be used, please post them here.

I'll take the best ones and use them if I can.

Thanks.

Lip

khan
05-27-2010, 03:18 PM
I might ask him:

1. What have the coaches stressed for you to work on since you've been with the SOX organization?

2. On Futuresox.com, you've been compared to Joe Randa. To whom would you compare your game? After whom do you model your game?

3. In your time in the White Sox organization, who among your peers has impressed you as a player?

4. In your time in the White Sox organization, who among the coaches has taught you the most, and how has it impacted your game?

5. What have the SOX organization told you to work on, so as to enable you to continue to progress to MLB?

6. Ozzie Guillen, Buddy Bell, and Kenny Williams are always stressing the "fundamentals of baseball" in their interactions with the media and the fans. In what way has that manifested itself in your time with the organization? How do they stress the fundamentals?

[I'll probably have a few more questions later...]

BadBobbyJenks
05-27-2010, 03:29 PM
I love question number 6 Khan.

SI1020
05-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Yes, it's a very good question.

Lip Man 1
05-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Khan:

I promise you I'll use that question on fundamentals.

Lip

khan
05-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Khan:

I promise you I'll use that question on fundamentals.

Lip
Thanks.

I suppose that it might be better directed at Bell/Guillen/Williams, but I have NEVER, EVER heard anyone in the media bother to do any "drill down" on that issue.

The media ALWAYS seems to take it at face value that "the SOX are stressing the fundamentals." Even a high school newspaper reporter could CHALLENGE this assumption, merely by asking, "How."

In any case, I always enjoy your writing; as I look hopefully to the prospect of Morel replacing Teahen, I'll be following your report on the interview with keen interest.

BadBobbyJenks
05-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Id just like to hear the answer from a kid who doesn't know any better and will give an honest answer.

Tragg
05-27-2010, 06:30 PM
2. On Futuresox.com, you've been compared to Joe Randa. To whom would you compare your game? After whom do you model your game?

Why insult the kid?

khan
05-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Why insult the kid?

1. The Joe Randa comparison comes from Futuresox.com. If you don't like it, take it up with them.

2. Given the craptacular pile of crap that KW has dumped on us @ 3rd base, I'd take Joe Randa on this team right about now. [At least Joe Randa could catch a cold defensively, while Teahen sucks a horse's ass.]

Jeff B
05-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Why insult the kid?
Nothing wrong with Joe Randa. League average offense, significantly above average defender. That sounds like Morel in a nutshell to me.

Morel doesn't have the offensive skills to project as a star player.

DirtySox
05-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Nothing wrong with Joe Randa. League average offense, significantly above average defender. That sounds like Morel in a nutshell to me.

Morel doesn't have the offensive skills to project as a star player.

Yep. Spot on.

Konerko05
05-28-2010, 01:08 AM
Yes, I'd rather have Joe Randa during his "prime," than Mark Teahen right now. So Brent Morel developing into a Joe Randa type player would actually improve the White Sox.

Of course, I'd rather have a prospect that could develop into a Ryan Zimmerman type player, but this team is desperate for some defense. I'm desperate to see some defense.

Tragg
05-28-2010, 09:11 AM
1. The Joe Randa comparison comes from Futuresox.com. If you don't like it, take it up with them.

2. Given the craptacular pile of crap that KW has dumped on us @ 3rd base, I'd take Joe Randa on this team right about now. [At least Joe Randa could catch a cold defensively, while Teahen sucks a horse's ass.]

Easy, ace. It was your question, not futuresox. I didn't dispute that futuresox believes that he grades out that way...

Randa was suckingly mediocre.

soltrain21
05-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Easy, ace. It was your question, not futuresox. I didn't dispute that futuresox believes that he grades out that way...

Considering every prospect we usually bring up just flat out sucks - I'd take league average.

SI1020
05-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Why insult the kid? I liked Joe Randa. Most prospects don't amount to much. If this kid can have a Randa like career it wouldn't be so bad, considering what the Sox have done lately with their minor leaguers.

khan
05-28-2010, 03:01 PM

Actually, I made a statement of what futuresox said, not what I said. For your [re-]reading pleasure:

"On Futuresox.com, you've been compared to Joe Randa. To whom would you compare your game? After whom do you model your game?"

See, the bolded part is called, "a statement" in English.

Therefore, "ace," you can [again] take it up THEIR OPINION of Morel with them , not me.

My questions would ask Morel to whom he would compare himself and/or after whom he would model his game. Now, had I asked this question:

"[I]Brent, you remind me of Joe Randa. Do you compare yourself to Joe Randa?"

You could THEN suggest that I'm insulting the kid. But here's the rub: I didn't ask him that. Try reading the previous post again, and then you can run your pie hole about someone else's opinion [again, not mine] as much as you want.

See, reading is a skill, "ace."

And Joe Randa would be an IMMENSE improvement over the piles of crap that have been scooped up and thrown out @ 3rd base ever since Crede left.

DirtySox
05-28-2010, 03:42 PM
For what it's worth, the Randa comp was first used by John Sickels I believe.

California Sox
05-28-2010, 03:47 PM
At the plate, Morel reminds me more actually of another Royals 3b -- Kevin Seitzer. And I mean that as a compliment. He is also a fairly similar player to Jeff Cirillo, maybe even Buddy Bell. And those guys are all pretty similar to Joe Randa. These aren't spectacular players but each of them played over 10 years in the majors, which I'm sure Brent would take in a heartbeat.

DirtySox
05-28-2010, 03:51 PM
At the plate, Morel reminds me more actually of another Royals 3b -- Kevin Seitzer. And I mean that as a compliment. He is also a fairly similar player to Jeff Cirillo, maybe even Buddy Bell. And those guys are all pretty similar to Joe Randa. These aren't spectacular players but each of them played over 10 years in the majors, which I'm sure Brent would take in a heartbeat.

This organization should take it in a heartbeat too. They don't churn out nearly enough solid regulars. Instead they are forced to dump resources into acquiring the Teahen/Pierre/Kotsay's of the world.