PDA

View Full Version : 10 Best Things About The Cell Article

Hitmen77
05-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Here's a nice positive summary of what there is to like at U.S. Cellular Field.

http://cbs2chicago.com/bestofchicago/us.cellular.field.2.1683354.html

kittle42
05-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Nice. Just posted it to my Facebook page.

Ron Karkovice
05-27-2010, 01:21 AM
Like that patio parties is number 2. I just bought a couple tickets for me and my GF to go one of these against the Braves on June 24...

g0g0
05-27-2010, 08:41 AM
#4 is all I need. I can forgo the parties and tailgating. I just love having a good view of the game. Well, that and a bag of peanuts!

soltrain21
05-27-2010, 09:11 AM
I hope the Sox update the scoreboard soon. The video screen is small compared to other stadiums and some of the stadium can't even see it, which is bull****.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-27-2010, 09:56 AM
I hope the Sox update the scoreboard soon. The video screen is small compared to other stadiums and some of the stadium can't even see it, which is bull****.

I agree - it's 20 years old - max that SOB out. Actually, make the scoreboard one large video screen - whole thing including the pinwheels and re-do the opening montage rim lighting and pinwheel graphics.

LoveYourSuit
05-27-2010, 11:16 AM
I agree - it's 20 years old - max that SOB out. Actually, make the scoreboard one large video screen - whole thing including the pinwheels and re-do the opening montage rim lighting and pinwheel graphics.

It's not 20 years old.

The video board was one of the first things updated in the first phase of the US Cellular naming right renovation.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-27-2010, 11:21 AM
It's not 20 years old.

The video board was one of the first things updated in the first phase of the US Cellular naming right renovation.

The video screen was updated - you're right. The size of the screen though is still original to building the park, no?

Hitmen77
05-27-2010, 11:28 AM

I agree. If you think the Sox have a pretty cool and modern scoreboard, go to a ballpark such as Arizona or Anaheim and you will see how their scoreboards put ours to shame.

One big flaw at the Cell is that view of the linescore (including R-H-E) for our own game is obstructed at a number of seats. The new out of town scoreboard is a nice addition. But, I'd say that the overall scoreboard quality at the Cell is subpar.

LoveYourSuit
05-27-2010, 11:52 AM
I agree. If you think the Sox have a pretty cool and modern scoreboard, go to a ballpark such as Arizona or Anaheim and you will see how their scoreboards put ours to shame.

One big flaw at the Cell is that view of the linescore (including R-H-E) for our own game is obstructed at a number of seats. The new out of town scoreboard is a nice addition. But, I'd say that the overall scoreboard quality at the Cell is subpar.

KC and the Jake are off the hook too.

LoveYourSuit
05-27-2010, 11:56 AM
The video screen was updated - you're right. The size of the screen though is still original to building the park, no?

I think they should do the entire back wall into video boards. Instead of the fixed giant advertisement signs that support the light towers, they should build wall to wall to video boards right there.

Since they just isntalled that new board in RF, I don't see upgrades happening any time soon.

MeteorsSox4367
05-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Wow. An article about the Cell describing Bridgeport as underrated. It seems like every article about the Sox talks about how much the neighborhood stinks, or it's dangerous or it's just not Wrigleyville.

I work just east of the Cell and drive through Bridgeport every day on the way home, so I know firsthand what a nice neighborhood it is.

I also liked the mentioning of the site of Comiskey Park being across the street from the Cell. I always make a point to stop by home plate from Comiskey at every game. The Sox have a great history that more people should know about.

Actually, not a bad article.

october23sp
05-27-2010, 02:07 PM
KC and the Jake are off the hook too.

Hell, when I'm playing MLB 10: The Show for PS3 I love playing in KC because of the scoreboard.

soxinem1
05-27-2010, 09:16 PM

All the more amazing when historically the White Sox have had some of the best scoreboards in all of MLB, even going back to the days of Comiskey Park in the late 50's. People always talked about how cool the scoreboards had always been.

WhiteSoxJunkie
05-30-2010, 11:00 PM

Actually I think it used to be smaller.

Foulke You
05-31-2010, 03:27 AM
The old smaller standard definition screen (circa 1991) and old dot matrix in CF was replaced in 2003 with a single larger HD screen just in time for the All Star Game. That same year, the dot matrix in LF was updated and made larger. In 2003, our CF HD screen was one of the biggest in pro sports. However, by 2010 standards it is small. I doubt they'll replace it anytime soon since those super deluxe HD screens are very expensive but anything is possible.

Here is a pic of New Comiskey Park's old screen/dot matrix:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/data/3/medium/the_scoreboard.jpg

Here is a pic of how it appears today:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/data/3/FLA-MON_WS_Scoreboard.jpg
(http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/data/3/FLA-MON_WS_Scoreboard.jpg)