PDA

View Full Version : Cap question

LITTLE NELL
05-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Has this happenned overnight, I've noticed that MLB players don't bend the bill of their caps anymore, they look almost as flat as pancakes.
As a kid and to this day with my golf caps the first thing I do is bend the bill. Back in the day any kid that did not bend his cap was like a nerd or a dweeb. Are MLB players making some kind of fashion statement as they did with the long pants (which I hate).

Iwritecode
05-26-2010, 01:47 PM
I bent the bill on every hat I wore. It just didn't feel comfotable any other way.

WizardsofOzzie
05-26-2010, 01:59 PM
It could be a fashion thing. I've noticed more and more people wearing flat brim hats, especially in the hip hop crowd.

Shoeless
05-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Has this happenned overnight, I've noticed that MLB players don't bend the bill of their caps anymore, they look almost as flat as pancakes.
As a kid and to this day with my golf caps the first thing I do is bend the bill. Back in the day any kid that did not bend his cap was like a nerd or a dweeb. Are MLB players making some kind of fashion statement as they did with the long pants (which I hate).

Maybe it's just my enormous head, but I won't bend my size 8 59/50 hat. It's the labels on the hat that I'll never understand.

WhiteSox5187
05-26-2010, 02:08 PM
It could be a fashion thing. I've noticed more and more people wearing flat brim hats, especially in the hip hop crowd.

It is partially that, but I know a guy like Greg Maddux almost always had a straight bill (or damn near straight) and I don't think he was part of the hip hop crowd. His claim was that a straighter bill allowed him to see base runners a bit better and I imagine that that is the case with big leaguers too. Watching the game now most guys have a slight bend in their cap.

eriqjaffe
05-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Maddux had a slight bend to his cap.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/tom_verducci/12/06/maddux/greg-maddux..si.jpg

I can see Maddux's point about peripheral vision and all, but this...

http://www.rotorob.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/george_sherrill.jpg

...looks awfully stupid.

pythons007
05-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I never understood why people don't bend the brim. I can't stand it without a bend, and I'm a major bender! I use a baseball and a rubberband!!!

I also don't understand not removing labels from the hat either, *** is that about?

g0g0
05-26-2010, 02:28 PM
especially in the hip hop crowd.

Ya, I'm thinking this. Kids these days...:tongue:

WhiteSoxFTW
05-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I never understood why people don't bend the brim. I can't stand it without a bend, and I'm a major bender! I use a baseball and a rubberband!!!

I also don't understand not removing labels from the hat either, *** is that about?

I believe it's a statement that you bought a brand new "expensive" hat. Like I'm wearing this brand new hat (whether it is or not) and you have an old one. You're cheap, I'm not.

But, then again, I could be way wrong, lol.

ComiskeyBrewer
05-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Maybe it's just my enormous head, but I won't bend my size 8 59/50 hat. It's the labels on the hat that I'll never understand.

Same. I wear an 8 as well, and if you bend them more than just a little, it looks horrible.

Chez
05-26-2010, 05:32 PM
The first player I noticed using the flat bill was George Sherrill.

eriqjaffe
05-26-2010, 05:58 PM
The first player I noticed using the flat bill was George Sherrill.Me, too. And that's why I used him as my example picture. ;)

JermaineDye05
05-26-2010, 06:48 PM

I hope to god that this doesn't become a trend with baseball players.

Marqhead
05-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Times change, so do clothes and styles. Boo hoo.

soltrain21
05-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Times change, so do clothes and styles. Boo hoo.

Correct. No need to get bent out of shape about it. It impacts us in no way.

october23sp
05-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Stickers on the hat is stupid, but I like to wear my hat with as little bend as possible, I bend it a little but not a lot.

downstairs
05-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Its fashion. Doing something different merely to stand out. Its happened forever. Stirrups are in, people wear baggy pants to stand out. Baggy pants are in, people will start wearing tight pants again down the road.

samurai_sox
05-27-2010, 02:54 PM
The bills on the New Era 59/50 hats are a joke, they are not only extremely flat but they are too short as well. I hate that those are the authentic hats and feel that New Ear just catered to the hip hop crowd by shortening the bills so that the hat would be more comfortable whether you wear the hat backwards or to the side.

I only wear my hats straight forward, the way its supposed to be worn.