PDA

View Full Version : Could Peavy be injured?

Rockabilly
05-26-2010, 12:57 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100525&content_id=10427768&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

SephClone89
05-26-2010, 12:58 AM
Let the Daniel Hudson era begin.

GoGoCrede
05-26-2010, 01:00 AM
Just what we needed. God, I hope not.:whiner:

october23sp
05-26-2010, 01:11 AM
I'll give this excuse 3 eye rolls out of 5.

thomas35forever
05-26-2010, 01:47 AM
We talked about this possibility after his poor start in Texas IIRC. That's really the last incredibly ****ty start he had prior to tonight. However, Peavy hasn't been able to put his money where his mouth is this season. It's getting harder to take his word seriously.

TDog
05-26-2010, 01:52 AM
All starting pitchers have dead-arm periods during the season.

Of course, Jake Peavy is a veteran, and he probably knows how his arm should feel in late May, but people might be reading too much into his comments.

LoveYourSuit
05-26-2010, 10:43 AM
We talked about this possibility after his poor start in Texas IIRC. That's really the last incredibly ****ty start he had prior to tonight. However, Peavy hasn't been able to put his money where his mouth is this season. It's getting harder to take his word seriously.

Good post.

Peavy has been an epic dissapointment.

Him and Beckham IMO are the two major reasons we suck to high levels this year. They were suppose to be the anchors on each side, offense and pitching.

Trav
05-26-2010, 10:55 AM
I was excited about Peavy after watching him pitch in Detroit last year. Apparently I overestimated how badly the Tigers wanted to make the playoffs. Bulldog my ass. More like chihuahua. Do guys with tired arms get ahead of batters and give up 2 strike homers? Or do they lose control and walk everyone for an inning each start? Peavy's act is getting as tired as Swisher's.

Trav
05-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Good post.

Him and Beckham IMO are the two major reasons we suck to high levels this year. They were suppose to be the anchors on each side, offense and pitching.
If you were depending on Beckham to be an offensive anchor you are an idiot. Beckham is pulling his weight defensively which is rare for a young Sox player. As long as he plays good D then he earns time to work out of his slump.

SephClone89
05-26-2010, 11:04 AM
If you were depending on Beckham to be an offensive anchor you are an idiot. Beckham is pulling his weight defensively which is rare for a young Sox player. As long as he plays good D then he earns time to work out of his slump.

I have to agree.

LoveYourSuit
05-26-2010, 12:07 PM

I'm an idiot?

Outside of the personal attack, let me answer on Beckham:

He was suppose to be the next big thing. He was proclaimed the "face of the franchise." Some compared him to Evan Longoria. Some had him as a 3 hole hitter.

So who did you see as the anchor of this offense going in?

Take a look at that line-up and let me know.

JC456
05-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Just another big name that comes to the Sox and sucks. That line is long. Put a jersey that says Sox on a man and it is like Kryptonite.

BTW, you shouldn't spit into the wind either.:scratch:

tstrike2000
05-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Have no idea of Peavy's still ailing at all, but the key word is down. Unless he can throw a high and tight inside fastball or hit the corners, he needs to keep the ball down. Choo-Choo, Branyan, and Hafner were all examples of hitters teeing off on his pitches consistantly up. I know that's not rocket science, but that appeared to me to be his biggest problem last night.

JB98
05-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Have no idea of Peavy's still ailing at all, but the key word is down. Unless he can throw a high and tight inside fastball or hit the corners, he needs to keep the ball down. Choo-Choo, Branyan, and Hafner were all examples of hitters teeing off on his pitches consistantly up. I know that's not rocket science, but that appeared to me to be his biggest problem last night.

It's not rocket science, but it's a good point.

I think a lot fans want to believe it's some sort of injury, or the adjustment to the AL, or what have you.

I think it's just a matter of not making good pitches. If it really is an injury, the Sox will DL him, because they have made an investment in him over the long haul.

HangWiffum
05-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Another excuse from this ****ing guy. He has a wonderful future doing White Sox broadcasts when he retires. One of the biggest disappointments in the history of the franchise

GoGoCrede
05-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Another excuse from this ****ing guy. He has a wonderful future doing White Sox broadcasts when he retires. One of the biggest disappointments in the history of the franchise

Er, I think we should wait till he's played a few seasons before we give him that great honor.

TDog
05-26-2010, 01:44 PM

I wouldn't call anyone an idiot for depending on Beckham to be an anchor of the offense. At the same time, I don't see how anyone could be depending on Beckham to be an anchor for the offense last year any more than someone could have depended on Beckham to be an offensive anchor last year.

He was a rookie who had trouble producing any offense when he was called up, adjusted and then had trouble producing for the last six weeks of the season. Fans clearly expected too much of him coming into this season. But I certainly wouldn't call them idiots. Ozzie Guillen insisted on batting him second late last year and much of this year, so maybe the team expected too much from someone who was forced into the majors at a new position in his first full professional season last year because the White Sox had a shot at winning the division and needed a third baseman.

palehozenychicty
05-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Good post.

That was mistake no. 1 by team management. Beckham was being counted on far too much to be a huge factor. The guy hasn't played a full year of mlb yet. He should be a nice piece to a quality club, not a no. 2 hitter. But that's the problem when you have little depth on the field and system. Ugh.

As for Peavy, I expected some drop in his game. He's in a new league with better hitters and smaller stadiums. He threw well at the end of last year, but looks overmatched at times this season. I think he'll turn it around, but so far it hasn't been good.

palehozenychicty
05-26-2010, 02:22 PM
I wouldn't call anyone an idiot for depending on Beckham to be an anchor of the offense. At the same time, I don't see how anyone could be depending on Beckham to be an anchor for the offense last year any more than someone could have depended on Beckham to be an offensive anchor last year.

He was a rookie who had trouble producing any offense when he was called up, adjusted and then had trouble producing for the last six weeks of the season. Fans clearly expected too much of him coming into this season. But I certainly wouldn't call them idiots. Ozzie Guillen insisted on batting him second late last year and much of this year, so maybe the team expected too much from someone who was forced into the majors at a new position in his first full professional season last year because the White Sox had a shot at winning the division and needed a third baseman.

:?: So you agree with him theoretically, but not with the language.

Trav
05-26-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm an idiot?

Outside of the personal attack, let me answer on Beckham:

He was suppose to be the next big thing. He was proclaimed the "face of the franchise." Some compared him to Evan Longoria. Some had him as a 3 hole hitter.

So who did you see as the anchor of this offense going in?

Take a look at that line-up and let me know.
If the shoe fits. People comparing Beckham to Longoria with the expectation of Beckham's sophomore year to be similar to what Longoria is doing now are wearing the same shoes.

Anyone with more baseball sense than a sports talk radio clown should know that depending on someone in Beckham's position to lead the offense is wishful thinking. cubs fans have unrealistic hopes like that. I hope most Sox fans thought PK was going to have a better year than Beckham.

guillensdisciple
05-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Ergh, I love the attempt, but you're not getting this one past me Peavy.

Start performing, or shut your mouth completely.