PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Chief Wahoo Isn't Smiling Tonight, Sox Win! 5/24 Post Game Thread

Marqhead
05-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Solid game all around, lots of positives.

Danks wasn't great but he was good enough.

Bullpen was very solid for 4 innings.

Beckham had a couple hits, Teahen had 3 hits and 3 RBI and Rios continues to mash.

:gulp:

Brian26
05-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Three out of four. Get it rolling now.

GoGoCrede
05-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Masterson is now 0-5. Yikes.

I like this winning thing they've had going lately! :smile:

Danks is God.

voodoochile
05-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Hit 'em early, hit 'em late, bullpen rocked and the toons rolled over...

Keep it going tomorrow guys...

:soxwin:

:)

Coops4Aces
We should have been pounding the Indians like this earlier in the season too, but we couldn't hit or pitch back then. Glad to see us hammer them early and often tonight. Please sweep these bums.

Glad to see the bats get back on track.

Oh, and Rios is a beast

Brian26
I like the use of Putz in the 8th and then Jenks in the 9th, even though it wasn't a save situation. If there's a shot at making anything out of this season, the bullpen needs to establish a positive mentality, and we're going to need these guys to have routine roles.

Rios is hammering the ball, and Konerko continues to play great defense.

WhiteSox56
05-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Sounds like it was a good game. Are we seeing signs of Bacon coming alive?

asindc
Until Rios hit his HR, the Sox had scored more than 4 runs without a HR yet again. They rarely did that the past two seasons.

soxinem1
Nice help from the bullpen tonight.:bandance:

And it is about time the hitters backed up Danks with some run support.:bandance:

Hopefully, the slow trip to .500 baseball and above begins now.:bandance:

voodoochile
I like the use of Putz in the 8th and then Jenks in the 9th, even though it wasn't a save situation. If there's a shot at making anything out of this season, the bullpen needs to establish a positive mentality, and we're going to need these guys to have routine roles.

Yeah, I think it was as much not wanting to burn anyone out after having to use Pena and Williams a lot yesterday, but anyway you slice it, Santos, Thornton, Putz and Jenks makes a nice back end to have at your disposal...

Brian26
05-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Danks is God.

Five innings, 112 pitches?

He needs to pitch a lot better than that. He has the ability, but he needs to straighten out his head.

Marqhead

Santos-Thornton-Putz-Jenks can be one of the best combos out there when these guys are on their game. I agree with you, define their roles and let them blow away batters like we know they can.

DaveFeelsRight
sox are now 10-11 in may

Brian26
05-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I think it was as much not wanting to burn anyone out after having to use Pena and Williams a lot yesterday, but anyway you slice it, Santos, Thornton, Putz and Jenks makes a nice back end to have at your disposal...

Four innings pitched, one hit, one lousy walk. Can't ask for much more than that.

JermaineDye05
05-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Chances of Rios going 30/30 this year? I think 20/20 is almost a foregone conclusion if he doesn't regress too much with the bat.

hi im skot
Jenks essentially got five outs in the 9th inning.

GoGoCrede

He needs to pitch a lot better than that. He has the ability, but he needs to straighten out his head.

Oh. I only caught the first couple of innings and it was mostly on in the background. :redface:

soxinem1

I agree and will take it a step further. The mix of Santos, Thornton, Putz, and Jenks from the six and seventh innings on should hopefully become a constant.

And don't look now, but Rios is on track to being the first 30HR, 30SB guy in team history.

Crestani
05-24-2010, 10:18 PM

Johnny needs to trust his stuff more. Once he does that, he will have the confidence to attack the hitters better than he does now. But, he is learning, and with his stuff, he could be our #1 next year IMO.

Tragg
05-24-2010, 10:19 PM
It's also a nice little showcase....maybe put Linebrink in there and withhold Santos or Thornton.

JermaineDye05
05-24-2010, 10:20 PM
I am seriously considering investing in a Rios jersey. Given that Peavy has only been great for three starts and Beckham has struggled, it should seem obvious who I should pick but I love them all equally. Ahhh such a tough decision :whiner:

Hegewisch
05-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Good Game. :bandance:

Again However, I will say you never know what team will show up at each game............:scratch:

Things seem to be looking up a bit though.:gulp:
Or, am I just hallucinating ???:o:

TDog
05-24-2010, 10:23 PM

Beckham had a couple hits, Teahen had 3 hits and 3 RBI and Rios continues to mash.

:gulp:

Fortunately the White Sox didn't need Danks to be on his A-game tonight. He did pitch out of trouble a couple of times and pitched over an error, which is good to see from him. Going just five, he put more strain on the bullpen, but everyone the Sox went to tonight was equal to the task. I imagine there were Sox fans who were upset when Jenks came in to pitch the ninth with a five-run lead, but he had to retire four hitters, thanks to an error, and no one hit the ball out of the infield against him. I believe Jenks was the only pitcher out of the Bullpen who had not pitched since Sunday afternoon.

It's nice to see the offense return after being shut down Sunday. Everyone who came to bat got on base at least once. Everyone in the starting lineup got at least one hit except Konerko. The three two-out runs in the first were huge, especially considering the Sox had just one on and one in with two outs.

It is always nice to see a different hitter step up to be the big RBI man. In winning three of the last four the Sox have a different player in each win with at least three RBI, which reflects balance in the lineup.

WhiteSox56
05-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Good Game. :bandance:

Again However, I will say you never know what team will show up at each game............:scratch:

Things seem to be looking up a bit though.:gulp:
Or, am I just hallucinating ???:o:

Kinda how I feel. No one knows which team will show up any given day. I really hope we get on a run and believe we can.

VMSNS
05-24-2010, 10:30 PM
I loved it when Johnny made Choo wiff on that inside changeup. Choo is a great player, but he's such a little pest with the bat (and glove).

Good game. Win more, please.

october23sp
05-24-2010, 10:31 PM
It was a pretty good game to watch at work to keep my mind off the tornadoes.

stevied23
05-24-2010, 10:34 PM
It was a pretty good game to watch at work to keep my mind off the tornadoes.

Some pretty gnarly weather around these parts, glad we missed most of it..

Frater Perdurabo
05-24-2010, 10:37 PM
If the Sox are going to pull their season out of the crapper, this is the time to do it.

The Sox are now 2-5 against the lowly Indians. Imagine if that were turned around; they would be 22-22, and just four games behind the Twins, and we'd all feel a lot more optimistic.

soxinem1
05-24-2010, 10:40 PM
If the Sox are going to pull their season out of the crapper, this is the time to do it.

The Sox are now 2-5 against the lowly Indians. Imagine if that were turned around; they would be 22-22, and just four games behind the Twins, and we'd all feel a lot more optimistic.

Ah, the big 'What If'!!:smile:

WhiteSox56
05-24-2010, 10:51 PM
We need to sweep the tribe seeing as we will be in Tampa next for a 4 game set....

Frater Perdurabo
05-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Minnesota hasn't had a great month. Maybe they are mortal after all. They simply don't have the starting pitching that the Sox do. That, plus the loss of Nathan (despite Rauch performing well), means their bullpen may get overused, potentially meaning the Twins are vulnerable as the season continues. What I am saying is that the Twins may have overachieved to this point. This may also be true of the Tigers.

It's clear the Sox have underachieved. If they can't pitch or hit, it's all for naught. But if the individual Sox players can "progress to the mean" of their career batting averages and ERAs throughout the rest of the season, the Sox could climb their way back into the race.

It would be a triumph of hope over experience, but hope is all we've got.

WhiteSox56
05-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Minnesota hasn't had a great month. Maybe they are mortal after all. They simply don't have the starting pitching that the Sox do. That, plus the loss of Nathan (despite Rauch performing well), means their bullpen may get overused, potentially meaning the Twins are vulnerable as the season continues. What I am saying is that the Twins may have overachieved to this point. This may also be true of the Tigers.

It's clear the Sox have underachieved. If they can't pitch or hit, it's all for naught. But if the individual Sox players can "progress to the mean" of their career batting averages and ERAs throughout the rest of the season, the Sox could climb their way back into the race.

Rauch has been great for the Twins. My hope was he would suck after the news of Nathan, but no such luck, its the twins afterall. The past few games have shown some light for the Sox, we have been performing well in game openers, as far as the last two series, we just need to win series and sweep where we can.

jabrch
05-24-2010, 11:12 PM

You really think so?

I don't. I expected the Sox and Twins to be in the 85-92 win range. It wouldn't surprise me if that ends up the case. It would be an odd road to get there, but not unheard of.

DrCrawdad
05-24-2010, 11:16 PM

:gulp:A win AND a Teahen/Beckham multihit game? Amazing!

october23sp
05-24-2010, 11:19 PM
This game reminded me a lot of opening day. With the scoring on a wild pitch and everything being good, but only because it's a bad team.

thomas35forever
05-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Spent most of the night doing homework instead, but I guess I saw all I needed to see in the top of the first. See guys? We CAN beat the ****ty teams.

Nelfox02
05-25-2010, 12:01 AM
solid win nice bounce back after yesterday

Teahen was good with the stick, but another awful defense play made this game a lot more interesting in the 5th than it should have been to his credit, big John manned up and pitched over the mistake, something that many of our starters have REALLY struggled with for some time now

it seem like over all of last year, and so far this year, I have waited for this team to come out and have a statment series/road trip/home stand---could this seven game road run we just started finally be it?

I feel pretty good about our chances to get one of these next two with the tribe, then a big 4 game set againt an elite team
If the sox can split that, have a 4-3 trip, I would be thrilled

for tonight tho, savoring a nice W

WhiteSox1989
05-25-2010, 12:35 AM
Just going to throw this out there...I predict a winning streak.

I've been saying that the whole month-it's bound to happen!

Nellie_Fox
05-25-2010, 12:52 AM
Sounds like it was a good game. Are we seeing signs of Bacon coming alive?Yes, I think so. He was hitting the ball sharply to right field, which is a very good sign for him.

Rauch has been great for the Twins. He's not been great; he's been lucky. He's had a couple of blown saves where the Twins came back and won despite him, and he was getting hit hard in the 9th today before finally getting the third out.

I'm not knocking him; he's been okay. I'm just disagreeing with the idea that he's been great. If he were having every save opportunity turn into an adventure like that on the Sox, he'd be getting vilified here.

jabrch
05-25-2010, 01:01 AM
A win AND a Teahen/Beckham multihit game? Amazing!

Not really...

RCWHITESOX
05-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Not really...

I still believe that this team can contend. If the Sox can start winning series over the next couple of months they should be right back in it. It's not like Minnesota or Detroit are running away with it. Hopefully they can pick up another hitter asap.

BadBobbyJenks
05-25-2010, 01:28 AM
We are now 2-5 against Cleveland, I am ****ing excited!

Tragg
05-25-2010, 01:29 AM
Nice free (in a sense) pickup.
Konerko's been a really good player; he will be hard to replace if we have to replace him...I don't think we have any real 1B in the minors, do we?

BadBobbyJenks
05-25-2010, 01:35 AM

Um, what?

jabrch
05-25-2010, 01:43 AM
I still believe that this team can contend. If the Sox can start winning series over the next couple of months they should be right back in it. It's not like Minnesota or Detroit are running away with it. Hopefully they can pick up another hitter asap.

They CAN.

There is not a great chance....low probability...unlikely...whatever...

But the fact is this team is not done. They are talented enough to win this division - even despite the ****ing gynormous hole they dug themselves in April and May.

JB98
05-25-2010, 01:49 AM
I was really happy with the work out of the bullpen tonight. All four men who appeared in relief pitched a solid inning.

As for the defense on the left side of the infield ... sigh ... at least Teahen swung the bat well tonight.

guillensdisciple
05-25-2010, 04:32 AM
Not bad Sox- keep it going and lets make this a battle.

Mohoney
05-25-2010, 06:58 AM
Three out of four. Get it rolling now.

It starts by sweeping this team.

You need to stockpile wins against crap teams to get back to a point where you're a realistic player in this thing.

That means no 2, 3 run output from this offense. 5 per game minimum. This team doesn't get ANYBODY out. Anything under 15 runs in this series is a failure, and that's including a 2 run cushion from scoring 7 today.

kufram
05-25-2010, 07:12 AM
3 wins will do me, thank you. Don't care if they're all 1-0

harwar
05-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Johnny Danks is great at pitching out of jams .. more game experience and he won't need to so that .. if not for Peavy, i'd call HIM a bulldog .. can you have 2 in 1 clubhouse? .. tonight i hope Talbot doesn't have his good stuff like last time out .. keep plowing on and get the win .. smooth sailing the next two days but i see a storm ahead as we steam towards florida .. win 2 down there and homeward bound ..

kevingrt
05-25-2010, 08:30 AM
Not bad Sox- keep it going and lets make this a battle.

Just keep on winning series and at least I will enjoy going to games again.

The Immigrant
05-25-2010, 08:37 AM
Danks has to give this team more than 5 innings, especially when the offense spots him 4 runs in the first.

Jurr
05-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Danks has to give this team more than 5 innings, especially when the offense spots him 4 runs in the first.

Baby, steps, my dear boy. Baby steps. We'll take the win and add to that the fact that the bullpen got a handful of pressure-free innings to concentrate on hitting the mitt.

I'll start nitpicking winning performances when the team is capable of producing more than 4 out of 10.

SCCWS
05-25-2010, 09:34 AM
I think the next 15 games will be the barometer. Once they finish w 3 game against Tigers in early June, it may be clearer whether this team will compete in the Central.
The haves will be looking for key additions as we get into mid-late June. Last night JP Ricciardi was saying White Sox will probably be a seller( unless they have a major turnaround quickly) and they may have the best players to attract the "haves". He mentioned AJ, Paulie and Jenks would be 3 attractive players compared to what Indians, Orioles, KC etc would have. The Red Sox are starting to make noise and are getting a few of their injured back. That may prompt Rays-Red Sox-Yanks to compete for some FA's.
Lets hope White Sox get hot and are not looking to sell.

jabrch
05-25-2010, 09:44 AM

Every outing doesn't always go that way. But on a day when he struggled, he kept runs off the board. That's better than other potential outcomes.

harwar
05-25-2010, 10:56 AM
I think the next 15 games will be the barometer. Once they finish w 3 game against Tigers in early June, it may be clearer whether this team will compete in the Central.

i think that will be right in the middle of a good run of wins as we play 15 games against NL teams after the tigers .. i realize that people don't agree, but NL teams just seem easier and we always do well against them .. i wish that we only played the cubs for one series though .. i believe that by July 4th it will be clear if we are sellers or not ..

SCCWS
05-25-2010, 12:16 PM
i think that will be right in the middle of a good run of wins as we play 15 games against NL teams after the tigers .. i realize that people don't agree, but NL teams just seem easier and we always do well against them .. i wish that we only played the cubs for one series though .. i believe that by July 4th it will be clear if we are sellers or not ..

Except that makes no sense. If NL teams are or seem easier for the White Sox, they will be for Tigers and Twins as well. If the WS are 10+ out by mid-June and are chasing 2 teams, it probably is over. The key will be to trade before a contender finds another deal. For example, if Yankees need a catcher, you need to deal AJ before they find another one. I don't see Paulie being attractive to Red Sox or Yankees unless he would be only a DH. Rays already made a move for a DH. Jenks could go NL so if the right deal comes along........

palehozenychicty
05-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Except that makes no sense. If NL teams are or seem easier for the White Sox, they will be for Tigers and Twins as well. If the WS are 10+ out by mid-June and are chasing 2 teams, it probably is over. The key will be to trade before a contender finds another deal. For example, if Yankees need a catcher, you need to deal AJ before they find another one. I don't see Paulie being attractive to Red Sox or Yankees unless he would be only a DH. Rays already made a move for a DH. Jenks could go NL so if the right deal comes along........

I agree that we will know everything within a month. They will either ride it out or get younger, cheaper, and more productive in the long term.

Francisco Cervelli has played really well for the Yanks the last two seasons when called to duty. Unless he gets hurt, they don't need AJ. If they want him anyway, by all means. But don't count on them being a suitor.

GAsoxfan
05-25-2010, 01:19 PM

Danks has pitched at least 7 innings in six of his nine starts. Games like this happen.

CLUBHOUSE KID
05-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Meh it's the Indians a LAST place team so yes a win is expected. I am looking forward to the TB series.

CLUBHOUSE KID
05-25-2010, 02:05 PM

True but he has been great and has been on bad sides of close games (i.e. LAA)

GoSox2K3
05-25-2010, 02:30 PM
As long as the Sox can change their schedule to only play other teams that don't need a DH (like the Marlins) and struggling teams (like Cleveland) the rest of the way, then they may have a chance to climb back into contention.

Sorry, the 3 out of 4 wins are nice but I'm not getting excited about Ozzieball 2010 quite yet.

KMcMahon817
05-25-2010, 02:34 PM

Jeeez. The guy has been unbelievable all year. He just didn't have his stuff tonight and still battled. Cut the man some slack, if anyone deserves it, he does.

CLUBHOUSE KID
05-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Ditto past 2 posts.

jabrch
05-25-2010, 02:38 PM
As long as the Sox can change their schedule to only play other teams that don't need a DH (like the Marlins) and struggling teams (like Cleveland) the rest of the way, then they may have a chance to climb back into contention.

Sorry, the 3 out of 4 wins are nice but I'm not getting excited about Ozzieball 2010 quite yet.

If you can't get excited about the White Sox playing winning baseball, that's cool. Everyone has their own thresholds for happiniess.I just don't see why the need to be negative right now as they are playing good ball and have an opportunity to close some ground on the Twins and Tigers. I don't get the "Ozzieball 2010" thing, as if that is some sort of insult. And I don't get why anyone would want to be a pessimist when presented with an option...but again - to each their own.

guillensdisciple
05-25-2010, 02:39 PM
I think people need to get excited about the climbing averages we are beginning to see right now.

BadBobbyJenks
05-25-2010, 02:45 PM

Yikes, do we really have this short of a memory?

That is what Danks has done this year.

Boondock Saint
05-25-2010, 03:45 PM

Why let facts get in the way of a perfectly good illogical rant?

CLUBHOUSE KID
05-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Why let facts get in the way of a perfectly good illogical rant?

ha yeah rite

Rohan
05-25-2010, 04:37 PM
I think people need to get excited about the climbing averages we are beginning to see right now.

I couldn't agree more. It takes a little while for people to get off the negative bus though.

October26
05-25-2010, 04:47 PM

I'm excited about Beckham's swing - he looks different to me lately, more relaxed or confident or something. :smile:

The Immigrant
05-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Danks has pitched at least 7 innings in six of his nine starts. Games like this happen.

Not taking anything away from those 6 starts, but if he wants to be a truly elite pitcher he needs to do better against such an awful lineup on a night when his bullpen needs a rest. That's all.

The Immigrant
05-25-2010, 05:01 PM

That has nothing to do with the point of my post, but thanks for playing.

Boondock Saint
05-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Not taking anything away from those 6 starts, but if he wants to be a truly elite pitcher he needs to do better against such an awful lineup on a night when his bullpen needs a rest. That's all.

You're getting on Danks for giving up two earned? That's beyond ridiculous.

For the record, Danks has given up two or less earned runs in every start this season. I fail to see how that's not elite.

quick edit: He gave up 3 to Minnesota.

soltrain21
05-25-2010, 05:07 PM

Every pitcher, and I mean EVERY pitcher (including the entire history of the game) is going to have starts (plural) where they throw more pitches per inning than they'd like.

BadBobbyJenks
05-25-2010, 05:59 PM
That has nothing to do with the point of my post, but thanks for playing.

Oh you had a point? Enlighten me and what did I win?