PDA

View Full Version : Destination for Konerko ?

NLaloosh
05-24-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm not suggesting anything because I know that the Sox are still going to win the division but...just in case A.J. goes to Texas and Jenks goes to Philly does anyone have a guess as to what team or teams might be interested in trading for Paulie?

Ofcourse, the Sox would re-sign him in the offseason for 2011.

Any ideas ?

getonbckthr
05-24-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm not suggesting anything because I know that the Sox are still going to win the division but...just in case A.J. goes to Texas and Jenks goes to Philly does anyone have a guess as to what team or teams might be interested in trading for Paulie?

Any ideas ?
Pending on Pena and Blalock Tampa Bay is a possibility.

DumpJerry
05-24-2010, 05:49 PM

Of course? Any deal for Konerko would include a 72 hour period for the new team to negotiate a new contract or the deal is off.

Pending on Pena and Blalock Tampa Bay is a possibility.
Nope. The 5/10 player known as Paul Konerko has indicated he would approve a trade to a team near his Arizona home. That would be southern California and maybe the Bay Area (along with Arizona).

Rockabilly
05-24-2010, 05:55 PM
San Fran might be a great spot for Paulie

sox1970
05-24-2010, 06:03 PM
I could see the Yankees wanting him, and Paul willing to go for a few months to try to win another ring.

DumpJerry
05-24-2010, 06:16 PM
I could see the Yankees wanting him, and Paul willing to go for a few months to try to win another ring.
http://tyduffy.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/sb-teixeira-rjpg.jpeg
Oh yeah?

sox1970
05-24-2010, 06:17 PM
There's this thing called the designated hitter. They use it in the American League.

areilly
05-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Oh yeah?

Tex and Paulie in a 1B/DH platoon. Keep them both fresh without losing either bat.

soltrain21
05-24-2010, 06:56 PM
There's this thing called the designated hitter. They use it in the American League.

It's easy for a Sox fan to forget that this year.

DumpJerry
05-24-2010, 06:59 PM
I thought the Yanks had a reliable DH already. Then I looked him up and realized that he might fit right in (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/johnsni01.shtml) with us.

.167 BA?:o:

SephClone89
05-24-2010, 08:06 PM
I thought the Yanks had a reliable DH already. Then I looked him up and realized that he might fit right in (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/johnsni01.shtml) with us.

.167 BA?:o:

He's also injured for possibly the season.

GAsoxfan
05-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Of course? Any deal for Konerko would include a 72 hour period for the new team to negotiate a new contract or the deal is off.

That depends on the price. Impending FA get traded all the time without contract extensions, it just lowers the return.

ewokpelts
05-25-2010, 11:22 AM
why bring him back?

TheOldRoman
05-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Of course? Any deal for Konerko would include a 72 hour period for the new team to negotiate a new contract or the deal is off.Not true at all. That only happens for blockbuster trades where the player is expected to be a hot commodity on the free agent maket. Konerko wouldn't have even gotten the 72 hour window had be been traded in 2005.

munchman33
05-25-2010, 11:42 AM
it's easy for a sox fan to forget that this year.

potw!

Tragg
05-25-2010, 11:43 AM
That depends on the price. Impending FA get traded all the time without contract extensions, it just lowers the return.

With a 30+ year old player making his kind of money, the contract would probably LESSEN the return.

ewokpelts
05-25-2010, 01:24 PM
i doubt many teams want to extend konerko if they trade for him. unless they want a 36 year old dh for 4 years

VMSNS
05-25-2010, 01:52 PM
i doubt many teams want to extend konerko if they trade for him. unless they want a 36 year old dh for 4 years

People seem to forget that Konerko is a fantastic defensive 1B, and he hasn't really shown any signs of declining, either.

munchman33
05-25-2010, 02:31 PM
People seem to forget that Konerko is a fantastic defensive 1B, and he hasn't really shown any signs of declining, either.

Konerko is great at picks. He is not a fantastic defensive 1B, he has little to no range.

Rohan
05-25-2010, 02:36 PM
His destination is 35th and Shields. The end.

munchman33
05-25-2010, 02:40 PM
His destination is 35th and Shields. The end.

Even if he isn't traded, there's almost no chance he's back next year.

Rohan
05-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Even if he isn't traded, there's almost no chance he's back next year.

I think he's back. He's not under performing by any means. He loves Chicago, has lived here for most of his married/family life. He's the current face of the White Sox. And lastly he's a huge fan favorite.

He gets cheered/chanted for more than any other player in a White Sox uniform. I've been at games this season where Konerko gets more of an applause than the starting pitcher at the beginning of the game.

Kenny will absolutely try to get him back for the future, and I'm sure Konerko will be flexible enough to allow that to happen.

"I told you I'd give my left nut to help this team."-Paul Konerko

munchman33
05-25-2010, 03:05 PM
I think he's back. He's not under performing by any means. He loves Chicago, has lived here for most of his married/family life. He's the current face of the White Sox. And lastly he's a huge fan favorite.

He gets cheered/chanted for more than any other player in a White Sox uniform. I've been at games this season where Konerko gets more of an applause than the starting pitcher at the beginning of the game.

Kenny will absolutely try to get him back for the future, and I'm sure Konerko will be flexible enough to allow that to happen.

"I told you I'd give my left nut to help this team."-Paul Konerko

The team is moving away from old slugging base cloggers. If Konerko didn't have a no-trade clause, he'd probably have been gone before the season. I don't think there's any chance he's back. We wouldn't even take Thome back for no salary. They're at the same stage in their careers.

DumpJerry
05-25-2010, 03:54 PM
The team is moving away from old slugging base cloggers. If Konerko didn't have a no-trade clause, he'd probably have been gone before the season. I don't think there's any chance he's back. We wouldn't even take Thome back for no salary. They're at the same stage in their careers.
Konerko is 34 years old, Thome is 39. When Konerko signed in 2005 he said part of his decision was the fact that the MLB player he admired most during his high school years was on the team: Thome.

Konerko plays a position on the field, Thome probably does not own a glove any more.

They are not at the same stage in their careers.

munchman33
05-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Konerko is 34 years old, Thome is 39. When Konerko signed in 2005 he said part of his decision was the fact that the MLB player he admired most during his high school years was on the team: Thome.

Konerko plays a position on the field, Thome probably does not own a glove any more.

They are not at the same stage in their careers.

Thome laps Konerko in a race. They're closer than you realize. And even if Thome's a lot older, it doesn't make Konerko not a one dimensional hitter. He's still in the 1B/DH/LF mold of hitters. To keep him, we'd pay him what, like $10 million next year? Is he really that much better than getting someone for $1-2 million and spending the rest of the money where there's a shortage of talent?

cws05champ
05-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Thome laps Konerko in a race. They're closer than you realize. And even if Thome's a lot older, it doesn't make Konerko not a one dimensional hitter. He's still in the 1B/DH/LF mold of hitters. To keep him, we'd pay him what, like $10 million next year? Is he really that much better than getting someone for $1-2 million and spending the rest of the money where there's a shortage of talent?
With the glut of 1B on the market next year, there is no way Konerko sniffs $10M. I believe the Sox would want him to take a major pay cut to return and I don't think he will want to take a huge pay cut to come back to the team that has paid him $12 Mil for the last 5. It's different when you go to FA and you find out that your value is not what you thought it would be on the open market, and the team you were on has moved on and picked up somebody else cheaper.

If we could bring him back for 2 years max at $5-6/per fine, but I get the feeling he would be insulted by that offer and go to FA.

munchman33
05-25-2010, 05:44 PM
With the glut of 1B on the market next year, there is no way Konerko sniffs $10M. I believe the Sox would want him to take a major pay cut to return and I don't think he will want to take a huge pay cut to come back to the team that has paid him $12 Mil for the last 5. It's different when you go to FA and you find out that your value is not what you thought it would be on the open market, and the team you were on has moved on and picked up somebody else cheaper.

If we could bring him back for 2 years max at $5-6/per fine, but I get the feeling he would be insulted by that offer and go to FA.

You're right, and I feel this is a Jermaine situation all over again. Kenny maybe wants him back, but the market value makes the offer insulting to the player's ego.

Frater Perdurabo
05-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Moreover, I'm not sure the MLBPA will look kindly on Konerko taking a big pay cut to remain with the Sox.

Extending his contract at $12 million per year probably doesn't fit within the Sox budget.

If the Sox wait until free agency, though, they would have to offer him arbitration. Knowing what the market is, Paulie would be a fool not to accept arbitration. That would mean he likely would sign a one-year deal for another $12 million for 2011, which again probably doesn't fit within the Sox budget.

If you want him back for 2011, it may be better to trade him to a contender this year, get a decent prospect, and then try to sign him as a free agent. It's doubtful another team would offer him arbitration, knowing that he likely would accept it and thus make another $12 million. Therefore, this is probably the only way to bring him back at a significantly reduced price for 2011.

I am in favor of bringing back Konerko on a 3 year/$15 million deal. I think the only way to make it happen is to trade him this season.

voodoochile
05-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Moreover, I'm not sure the MLBPA will look kindly on Konerko taking a big pay cut to remain with the Sox.

Extending his contract at $12 million per year probably doesn't fit within the Sox budget.

If the Sox wait until free agency, though, they would have to offer him arbitration. Knowing what the market is, Paulie would be a fool not to accept arbitration. That would mean he likely would sign a one-year deal for another $12 million for 2011, which again probably doesn't fit within the Sox budget.

If you want him back for 2011, it may be better to trade him to a contender this year, get a decent prospect, and then try to sign him as a free agent. It's doubtful another team would offer him arbitration, knowing that he likely would accept it and thus make another $12 million. Therefore, this is probably the only way to bring him back at a significantly reduced price for 2011.

I am in favor of bringing back Konerko on a 3 year/$15 million deal. I think the only way to make it happen is to trade him this season.

I thought all those rules got changed and the Sox would be free to negotiate even if they don't offer arbitration and could sign him to a 3/15 deal tomorrow if they thought he'd actually do it.

Frater Perdurabo
05-25-2010, 09:53 PM
I thought all those rules got changed and the Sox would be free to negotiate even if they don't offer arbitration and could sign him to a 3/15 deal tomorrow if they thought he'd actually do it.

If he would sign a 3/15 deal tomorrow I'd make sure my pen had ink tonight.

I just don't think that would happen; there's a better chance Paulie's mind would be made up for him once he sees the soft free agent market this offseason.

voodoochile
05-25-2010, 10:06 PM
If he would sign a 3/15 deal tomorrow I'd make sure my pen had ink tonight.

I just don't think that would happen; there's a better chance Paulie's mind would be made up for him once he sees the soft free agent market this offseason.

Right, I was more wondering about your comments regarding the MLBPA. There's nothing in the rules that says they can't sign him for that much.

Brian26
05-25-2010, 10:15 PM

Would the player's union allow the Sox to re-sign him for a tad above 40% of his current contract? I'm fuzzy on the rules too, but I recall this not being possible as recently as a couple of years ago.

voodoochile
05-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Would the player's union allow the Sox to re-sign him for a tad above 40% of his current contract? I'm fuzzy on the rules too, but I recall this not being possible as recently as a couple of years ago.

IIRC from a discussion on these forums yes, they can not offer arbitration and negotiate for a lower amount anyway. I believe the Yankees did this with Petitte and possibly Posada too, but I don't remember the specifics.

Frater Perdurabo
05-25-2010, 10:25 PM

IIRC from a discussion on these forums yes, they can not offer arbitration and negotiate for a lower amount anyway. I believe the Yankees did this with Petitte and possibly Posada too, but I don't remember the specifics.

If Paulie agreed this season to a 3/15 contract, I'd be the grand marshal of a parade in his honor.

Daver
05-25-2010, 10:33 PM

The rule regarding arbitration and restricting contract negotiations until May of the following year was removed in the last CBA, but a player can sign any deal he chooses while he is under contract with a team, as long as that contract is with the team he is under contract too.

munchman33
05-25-2010, 11:02 PM

Paulie's not taking that unless it's a last minute cash grab. Are we going into March with holes in our roster again? That's worked so well for us.

Tragg
05-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Paulie's not taking that unless it's a last minute cash grab.

3/$15 is basically what the Sox pay Teahan......can't imagine that Paulie would be dissatisfied with that.

SephClone89
05-26-2010, 11:07 AM
3/$15 is basically what the Sox pay Teahan......can't imagine that Paulie would be dissatisfied with that.

:?:

voodoochile
05-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Okay, just to be clear, I am not suggesting PK would accept 3/15. In fact that was never my intention, I thought I made that clear. It was Frater who first threw those numbers out and I used them as the example to talk about the legal aspects of what the Sox can and cannot do with PK's contract extension.

munchman33
05-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Okay, just to be clear, I am not suggesting PK would accept 3/15. In fact that was never my intention, I thought I made that clear. It was Frater who first threw those numbers out and I used them as the example to talk about the legal aspects of what the Sox can and cannot do with PK's contract extension.

Gotcha.

I don't think Paulie's gonna get $10 million dollars in free agency either, even though I posted that. But that's around what would be appropriate to make him come back. And WE aren't going to give him that. The chapter ends this year, might as well try and get something for him.