PDA

View Full Version : *Official* We're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat 5/23 Post Game Thread

Marqhead
05-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Really nothing positive about this game.

Get ready for the road boys.

Zakath
05-23-2010, 05:24 PM
When we left the bases loaded in the bottom of the first after giving up the 4-spot, you knew this one was over.

There's no other way to describe this one but fugly...

DirtySox
05-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Meh. While I'm not largely emotionally invested in this team, I'm pleased we won the series. Freddy was due for a clunker. **** happens.

white sox bill
05-23-2010, 05:28 PM
We're back to sucking.

soltrain21
05-23-2010, 05:30 PM
That, was a very ****ty game by this team - and that's saying something.

October26
05-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Ugly game on Kids Day today. As I said in the gamethread, I feel bad for all the kids and their parents who had to sit through this game today. They deserved better.

Sox need to stay focused on winning series.

JermaineDye05
05-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Anyone happen to know why Beckham was pulled?

DirtySox
05-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Anyone happen to know why Beckham was pulled?

I assume it was the typical replacement when a blowout occurs.

It's Dankerific
05-23-2010, 05:36 PM
I never understand, in games like this, why you don't just pull AJ and let him get some rest if he has to be sat on a regular basis due to his position anyways.

JermaineDye05
05-23-2010, 05:36 PM
I assume it was the typical replacement when a blowout occurs.

That's what I figured, just wanted to make sure there wasn't an injury since there weren't any other replacements.

WhiteSox5187
05-23-2010, 05:37 PM
I never understand, in games like this, why you don't just pull AJ and let him get some rest if he has to be sat on a regular basis due to his position anyways.

Since there are only two catchers you're usually always going to have to the catcher play out the game regardless of score because if you pull him and Castro gets hurt, you're ****ed.

BTW, who is our emergency catcher? Paulie?

Boondock Saint
05-23-2010, 05:38 PM
That's one of the 60 you're going to lose? :shrug:

That's all I got.

thomas35forever
05-23-2010, 05:39 PM

That's all I got.
Yeah, let's just leave it at that.

VMSNS
05-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Well, there goes our 2-game winning streak.

Oh, and Randy Williams sucks.

It's Dankerific
05-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Since there are only two catchers you're usually always going to have to the catcher play out the game regardless of score because if you pull him and Castro gets hurt, you're ****ed.

And what might happen? we lose the game?

If it was close loss, sure. but in a blow out, just roll the dice. If they can use a position player to pitch in blowouts, they can have the 25th man catch an inning or two in an emergency situation.

CLR01
05-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Well two game streak is better than no streak I guess.

There has to be an international award that Walker qualifies for.

It's Dankerific
05-23-2010, 05:42 PM

That's all I got.

I think its closer to 90

VMSNS
05-23-2010, 05:46 PM

I believe Ozzie said Nix would be the emergency catcher, and Kotsay would be the emergency pitcher.

TDog
05-23-2010, 05:48 PM
When we left the bases loaded in the bottom of the first after giving up the 4-spot, you knew this one was over ...

Quite the contrary, loading the bases with two outs pointed out that a four-run lead could be overcome. If the Marlins had not kept scoring, I think the Sox would have had a shot at getting to the Marlins' best starter.

But the Marlins did keep scoring.

As good as Garcia has been as the fifth starter, the afterthought in filling out the rotation, it's easy to forget that he is the fifth starter, certainly in expectations this year. And the White Sox bullpen doesn't have a spot starter/long man who can come into games early. That might not be a bad role for Garcia, actually, but even with today's start, he hasn't been the least dependable starter on the staff.

The game also points out that the Marlins aren't such a bad team, and more credit should have been given to the White Sox pitchers for shutting them down Friday and Saturday. People posting that a great well-played win was only against a National League team might have missed that the American league had only managed a split coming into Sunday's interleague games, and might only manage a split today.

Minnesota is lucky to have won two out of three from the Brewers. The Rays only managed two out of three against the team with the National League's worst record. The Rangers lost two of three to the Cubs. And those are just the first-place teams in the American League.

SoxSpeed22
05-23-2010, 05:53 PM
That stunk. Time to go on the road.

jabrch
05-23-2010, 06:03 PM
[/optimistic]if we win 2 of 3 the rest of the way....[/optimistic]

[/realistic] I can't believe I sat through 6 innings of that[/realist]

Red Barchetta
05-23-2010, 06:05 PM
I wish this team would gain a killer instinct and finish off a series...Winning streaks a a result of that! :angry:

soxfanatlanta
05-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Juuuuusst missed that sweep.

LoveYourSuit
05-23-2010, 06:11 PM
They had me going. Won 2 straight and had me thinking again on the big picture.

Nevermind.

Crap is crap.

Gavin
05-23-2010, 06:15 PM
worst game I've ever attended in person.

we aren't even good enough to carry a LRP--that's how pathetic the team is.

WhiteSox5187
05-23-2010, 06:16 PM
And what might happen? we lose the game?

If it was close loss, sure. but in a blow out, just roll the dice. If they can use a position player to pitch in blowouts, they can have the 25th man catch an inning or two in an emergency situation.

Always a bad idea to stick someone who hasn't played a lot of catcher back there. Pitchers then have to throw extra pitchers, more runs score, etc.

CLUBHOUSE KID
05-23-2010, 06:30 PM
The reason why this sucks the worst is because it was a Kids Day.

Jurr
05-23-2010, 06:32 PM

we aren't even good enough to carry a LRP--that's how pathetic the team is.

If it makes you feel any better, I bought stadium club seats at PNC Park vs. the Brewers....they were up 10-0 before four innings ended. 20-0 was the final.

It's Dankerific
05-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Always a bad idea to stick someone who hasn't played a lot of catcher back there. Pitchers then have to throw extra pitchers, more runs score, etc.

More than 13 runs?

Considering the low likelihood of the backup catcher getting injured...

You do know that we regularly PH AJ for Castro in a close and late situation, right? same issue.

hi im skot
05-23-2010, 07:08 PM
The reason why this sucks the worst is because it was a Kids Day.

Oh, boo hoo; kids need to toughen up.

Marqhead
05-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Oh, boo hoo; kids need to toughen up.

Back in my day we had to walk to Comiskey in the rain, up hill both ways, and the Sox lost 20-0!

TDog
05-23-2010, 07:11 PM
More than 13 runs?

Considering the low likelihood of the backup catcher getting injured...

You do know that we regularly PH AJ for Castro in a close and late situation, right? same issue.

The point is that the risk of doing extended damage to your team is greater by putting in the backup catcher for a few innings than leaving in the regular catcher who started.

Baron
05-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Well the best news of the day is Philly wants Jenks

It's Dankerific
05-23-2010, 07:16 PM
The point is that the risk of doing extended damage to your team is greater by putting in the backup catcher for a few innings than leaving in the regular catcher who started.

Then why do we ever pinch hit AJ for Castro.

Must be a pretty small risk.

twinsuck
05-23-2010, 07:21 PM
I was at the game. Nice birthday present, Sox. :mad: I still stayed the whole game though, a lot of people left.

hi im skot
05-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Back in my day we had to walk to Comiskey in the rain, up hill both ways, and the Sox lost 20-0!

Get off my lawn!

Brian26
05-23-2010, 07:40 PM

My personal worst: The first game of that Twins doubleheader in July of '07.

vinny
05-23-2010, 07:49 PM
It was a terrible game in person. Just glad our seats were in the shade. Long and painful, although my son, being all of 3, had a great time regardless, especially the running of the bases.

I didn't see this discussed in the game thread, but seeing the game in person I was amazed Teahen wasn't charged for errors on the "doubles" in the 1st and 7th that went off and/or through him.

After AJ was got plunked, it got interesting out there on the field for a while, with managers and umpires going back and forth. Other than that, nothing really entertaining today for Sox fans.

JB98
05-23-2010, 08:16 PM
I witnessed a three-car wreck on the Stevenson on my way into the ballpark today. That wreck was more entertaining than the wreck I saw once I arrived at the stadium.

Very boring game, one of the worst I've ever attended. At least we didn't waste a good pitching performance with today's Corpseball effort.

Teahen's defense at 3B is beyond poor.

JB98
05-23-2010, 08:20 PM
I was at the game. Nice birthday present, Sox. :mad: I still stayed the whole game though, a lot of people left.

Look on the bright side -- it was cake getting out of the parking lot after the game ended. Almost everyone was gone.

NLaloosh
05-23-2010, 08:30 PM
I really would never have believed that Teahen could play 3B this badly. He makes Josh Fields look good.

But, atleast we didn't sign him to a long term deal before we even saw him play for our team.

Chez
05-23-2010, 08:35 PM
I missed the Hawks game to attend this! It's hard for me to believe that we don't have anyone in our minor league system who is a better option than Randy Williams.

NLaloosh
05-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Maybe, we can pick up Dana Eveland for the bullpen. I doubt that he would be worse than Randy Williams.

I guess we'll know the Sox intentions by June 14th if A.J. is still here. Firesale or the continued perpetual mediocre waste of high payroll rebuild on the fly program ?

GoGoCrede
05-23-2010, 09:25 PM
I think I've grown numb when it comes to losses. Although it sucked to lose this badly.

:shrug:

bunty_doghunter
05-23-2010, 09:40 PM
I believe Ozzie said Nix would be the emergency catcher, and Kotsay would be the emergency pitcher.
So who's our emergency manager and emergency hitting coach?

TDog
05-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Then why do we ever pinch hit AJ for Castro.

Must be a pretty small risk.

In those cases the risk is measured against the reward of Pierzynski's possible late-inning offensive contributions helping the Sox win.

I think questioning the decision to leave Pierzynski in the game is pointless because there are factors that you don't know unless you're on the bench. Sometimes players come out of the game because they ask to come out or they aren't 100 percent to begin with or conditions are poor. If the White Sox are shopping Pierzynski, as some believe or hope, he may have been left in the game because there were scouts in the stands etc.

voodoochile
05-23-2010, 09:58 PM
I think I've grown numb when it comes to losses. Although it sucked to lose this badly.

:shrug:

At least with a day like today you can just do that shrug and move on. This one they had no chance and every team gets blown out at least a few times a year. This was just one of those days. And no, I'm not saying the rest of the year has been all sunshine and lollipops, but even if the Sox were leading the division, they would have lost today. Put it behind you and move on...

pudge
05-23-2010, 11:30 PM
At least with a day like today you can just do that shrug and move on. This one they had no chance and every team gets blown out at least a few times a year. This was just one of those days. And no, I'm not saying the rest of the year has been all sunshine and lollipops, but even if the Sox were leading the division, they would have lost today. Put it behind you and move on...

This was one of those games we knew we'd have with our 5th starter - Freddy has been solid, but he's also ripe to get shelled with the "stuff" he's bringing at this stage in his career. Unfortunately, there's little room left for anything but a long winning streak.

salty99
05-23-2010, 11:40 PM
I took my nephew to his first kid's day. ugh. the end.

october23sp
05-24-2010, 01:24 AM
Yucky game by a yucky team, right when I thought they weren't yucky.

guillensdisciple
05-24-2010, 02:07 AM
Just take this one and move on to the next one.

There is still time.

voodoochile
05-24-2010, 02:17 AM
This was one of those games we knew we'd have with our 5th starter - Freddy has been solid, but he's also ripe to get shelled with the "stuff" he's bringing at this stage in his career. Unfortunately, there's little room left for anything but a long winning streak.

He was hanging fat hanging curves/sliders/changes the entire time he was in. Just didn't have it.

Nellie_Fox
05-24-2010, 02:43 AM
He was hanging fat hanging curves/sliders/changes the entire time he was in. Just didn't have it.Pretty much everything he tossed up there today was meat.

theamb
05-24-2010, 04:12 AM
Sunday Bloody Sunday

masloan
05-24-2010, 05:45 AM
Well two game streak is better than no streak I guess.

There has to be an international award that Walker qualifies for.

This post shows that you are more worried about bashing Walker than talking about the Sox. Yes they got shutout today. However, they were down 4 runs before they even stepped to the plate. In addition, they were facing the ace of the Marlins who has not lost a decision since opening day. He had given up 10 ER in his previous 6 starts before yesterday.

Prior to yesterday, the Sox have been swinging the bat pretty well. They actually had their chances yesterday as well, but Johnson did a good job getting out of trouble early.

harwar
05-24-2010, 07:52 AM
just win the series in cleveland ..

ChiSoxGirl
05-24-2010, 08:33 AM

Just SWEEP the series in Cleveland. The fact that the Sox are 1-5 against those cellar dwellers is downright inexcusable. No one else in the league seems to have a problem with them.... Justin Masterson has lost his last ten starts; watch him earn his first win since August and look like Cy Masterson out there tonight! :redneck

WhiteSox1989
05-24-2010, 09:05 AM
I want a sweep.

However, I won't be getting my hopes up.

Yesterday's game sucked. This team sucks.

russ99
05-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Quentin has a option left, he needs to pay a visit to Charlotte and re-learn how to swing - other than the max-effort caveman swing we see every time he's at the plate.

That Twins doubleheader in 2007 was much worse than this, but then it wasn't 90 degrees...

Hegewisch
05-24-2010, 11:48 AM
A bizarre:scratch: blowout compared to last 3 games. You never know what team is going to show up. However, June will be the last chance for them to turn this thing around. I guess we have to continue in patience..........:mad:

voodoochile
05-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Quentin has a option left, he needs to pay a visit to Charlotte and re-learn how to swing - other than the max-effort caveman swing we see every time he's at the plate.

That Twins doubleheader in 2007 was much worse than this, but then it wasn't 90 degrees...

Um he's been doing a lot better going the other way recently and has raised his average and OPS substantially in the last 10 days or so. Yeah, his failure in the first inning in particular was frustrating, but in general he's been much more productive recently.

jabrch
05-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Um he's been doing a lot better going the other way recently and has raised his average and OPS substantially in the last 10 days or so. Yeah, his failure in the first inning in particular was frustrating, but in general he's been much more productive recently.

Carlos is 12 for his last 35 with 4 doubles. There's no ****ing way they send him down right now.

kittle42
05-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Prior to yesterday, the Sox have been swinging the bat pretty well.

For what? Two days?

SI1020
05-24-2010, 01:33 PM
For what? Two days? For the Sox maybe that qualifies as "pretty well."

Nellie_Fox
05-25-2010, 12:46 AM
Justin Masterson has lost his last ten starts; watch him earn his first win since August and look like Cy Masterson out there tonight! Not quite.