thomas35forever
05-22-2010, 09:36 PM
What it says.

SBSoxFan
05-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Over. 2 out single in the eighth.

JermaineDye05
05-22-2010, 10:08 PM
He did walk four. I don't necessarily count a no-hitter when a pitcher has a fairly high walk total. Like Dontrelle a couple years ago. I think He had a no-hitter in the sixth but he had walked six.

Johnny Mostil
05-22-2010, 10:23 PM
He did walk four. I don't necessarily count a no-hitter when a pitcher has a fairly high walk total. Like Dontrelle a couple years ago. I think He had a no-hitter in the sixth but he had walked six.

Why not? I'll grant you that Cowley's no-hitter against the Angels in '86 was ugly, but, well, he didn't give up any hits. Therefore, he threw a no-hitter.

JermaineDye05
05-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Why not? I'll grant you that Cowley's no-hitter against the Angels in '86 was ugly, but, well, he didn't give up any hits. Therefore, he threw a no-hitter.

It's a no-hitter, it's just not that great. You gotta pitch the ball. If a pitcher has got a high walk total, it seems like he's afraid of the batter and is just tip toeing around the plate.

Marqhead
05-22-2010, 10:42 PM
It's a no-hitter, it's just not that great. You gotta pitch the ball. If a pitcher has got a high walk total, it seems like he's afraid of the batter and is just tip toeing around the plate.

Verlander walked 4. I'd still consider his performance pretty dominant. :shrug:

DSpivack
05-22-2010, 10:44 PM

Or a guy with good stuff who is just wild. I want to say AJ Burnett as a Marlin walked like 6 guys in his no-no.

Johnny Mostil
05-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Or a guy with good stuff who is just wild. I want to say AJ Burnett as a Marlin walked like 6 guys in his no-no.

As I recall Cowley's no-hitter (he walked 7), he was just wild that day. But I may not be recalling accurately all these years later . . .

TDog
05-22-2010, 11:16 PM
As I recall Cowley's no-hitter (he walked 7), he was just wild that day. But I may not be recalling accurately all these years later . . .

Joe Cowley walked 7 and struck out 8. He was effectively wild and Ozzie Guillen started a game-ending doubleplay so he only had to retire two Angels hitters in the ninth. Cowley was effectively wild that night, and he never won another major league game, even after he was traded to the Phillies.

Burt Hooten of the Cubs walked 7 in his no-hitter, but 7 isn't the record. I don't know what the record is, but Nolan Ryan walked 8 in his third no-hitter. In two of his no-hitters, Ryan walked 4. He averaged about 3.7 walks per no-hitter after walking just 2 in his sixth and seventh.

Kenny Holtzman walked four in his second no-hitter. No one complained at the time. He walked three in his first, but that isn't the reason you might not want to count it. In his first no-hitter, Holtzman didn't strike out anyone.

A no-hitter is a no-hitter. No one said it was a perfect game.

WhiteSox5187
05-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Joe Cowley walked 7 and struck out 8. He was effectively wild and Ozzie Guillen started a game-ending doubleplay so he only had to retire two Angels hitters in the ninth. Cowley was effectively wild that night, and he never won another major league game, even after he was traded to the Phillies.

Burt Hooten of the Cubs walked 7 in his no-hitter, but 7 isn't the record. I don't know what the record is, but Nolan Ryan walked 8 in his third no-hitter. In two of his no-hitters, Ryan walked 4. He averaged about 3.7 walks per no-hitter after walking just 2 in his sixth and seventh.

Kenny Holtzman walked four in his second no-hitter. No one complained at the time. He walked three in his first, but that isn't the reason you might not want to count it. In his first no-hitter, Holtzman didn't strike out anyone.

A no-hitter is a no-hitter. No one said it was a perfect game.

I think that Josh Beckett (maybe it was Carl Pavano) walked something like nine in his no hitter back in 2001. A no hitter is a no hitter.

Zakath
05-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Would have only been the 4th no-hitter in interleague play.

David Cone, 7/18/1999 for NYY vs. Montreal
Roy Oswalt et al. (6 pitchers total), 6/11/2003 for Houston vs. NYY
Justin Verlander, 6/12/2007 for Detroit vs. Milwaukee

That, of course, ignores the ultimate interleague no-hitter, which is Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series (still the only no-hitter ever thrown in postseason play).

TDog
05-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Would have only been the 4th no-hitter in interleague play.

David Cone, 7/18/1999 for NYY vs. Montreal
Roy Oswalt et al. (6 pitchers total), 6/11/2003 for Houston vs. NYY
Justin Verlander, 6/12/2007 for Detroit vs. Milwaukee

That, of course, ignores the ultimate interleague no-hitter, which is Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series (still the only no-hitter ever thrown in postseason play).

Had Bill Bevins of the Yankees retired pinch-hitter Cookie Lavagetto with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning of Game 4 of the 1947 World Series instead of surrendering a game-ending double, he would have pitched a World Series no-hitter as well. He also would have won the game.

shes
05-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Burnett walked 9 and struck out 7 in his no-no. It wasn't even the most dominant start in MLB that week, but hey, a no-no is a no-no.