PDA

View Full Version : From Phil Rogers'

Daver
06-19-2002, 04:53 PM
Column on ESPN.com,I didn't bother with the whole column.

. Do the White Sox still need Frank Thomas?
Jerry Manuel sat Thomas all weekend at Wrigley Field, keeping Paul Konerko at first base. Given that Thomas has as many RBIs as Sammy Sosa, it's a sign of the relative strengths of Chicago's two teams that the Big Hurt could be benched.

With series at Philadelphia and Atlanta before returning to the American League schedule, Manuel makes no promises about Thomas' playing time. "There are plans, but Paul Konerko has played first base well and he's one of the league leaders in RBIs," Manuel said. "He's a big part of our offense. Hopefully we'll find a matchup suitable to put Frank out there."

With Jerry Reinsdorf holding the right to defer all but $250,000 per season if Thomas formally falls from the ranks of elite hitters, you wonder if the weekend was a precursor to a future that finds him in another uniform.

The feeling here is he'll be with the Sox through 2006, whether they need him or not. Given the economic climate, Thomas (who can void his deal if Reinsdorf exercises the so-called revised payment right) isn't going to find a better deal than the one he has, even if he has to borrow against his deferred earnings.

cornball
06-19-2002, 06:31 PM
Great post and article, Daver...i agree with you Frank is going nowhere....who else would pay him 10 million for the current productivity.....unfortunately at this point he is 1/6 of our salary for the entire team, which would be more exceptable with the numbers produced in the past.

RKMeibalane
06-19-2002, 08:03 PM
I hadn't thought much about the "diminished performance" clause in Frank's contract. It is very possible that this season will be his last with the Sox. Granted, he's not going to make anywhere near the amount Chicago is paying him now, especially since he rarely plays first base, but he's still productive enough that another team would want him.

I would be surprised to see Frank back with the Sox if he's making $250,000. I will say this though. If he's willing to stick it out making that amount of money, it would be a big step forward and an excellent example to younger players who whine about their contracts. It would be nice to see someone say, "It's not about the money," and actually mean it for once.

Daver
06-19-2002, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I hadn't thought much about the "diminished performance" clause in Frank's contract. It is very possible that this season will be his last with the Sox. Granted, he's not going to make anywhere near the amount Chicago is paying him now, especially since he rarely plays first base, but he's still productive enough that another team would want him.

I would be surprised to see Frank back with the Sox if he's making $250,000. I will say this though. If he's willing to stick it out making that amount of money, it would be a big step forward and an excellent example to younger players who whine about their contracts. It would be nice to see someone say, "It's not about the money," and actually mean it for once.

He still gets all the money,it just gets deferred from immiediete payment.I doubt Jerry Reinsdorf will invoke the clause however,Jerry is on record stating that he would like to see Frank retire as a member of the White Sox.

RKMeibalane
06-19-2002, 08:34 PM
Even though he will eventaully get the money one way or the other, it would be an interesting thing to see. Too many of today's athletes are complaining about getting the money right away, so they hold out for incentive-laden deals or large signing bonuses. I would be pleased to see someone wait for his money, as opposed to wanting it all now.