PDA

View Full Version : Base stealing question

dwalteroo
05-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Something I've been thinking about lately...

The Sox are doing a great job of stealing bases this year. It really is awesome to see. But one thing I've seen a fair amount of when guys are stealing is *looking back at the catcher while running to second.* They only do it for a second or two, and I understand the impulse.

I'm not complaining because more times than not the Sox seem to be safe, but I would think that would slow a guy down by a half-step. Wouldn't it? Isn't it better to just put the head down, assume you are gonna have to slide, and chug to second?

It's Dankerific
05-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Its probably a hit and run and he's checking to see if the ball is put in play.

WhiteSox5187
05-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Its probably a hit and run and he's checking to see if the ball is put in play.

That's exactly what it is. On a steal you just put your head down and run, hit and run you are seeing if the ball is put in play.

dwalteroo
05-22-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm an idiot. Thanks guys.

TDog
05-22-2010, 09:37 PM
If you hear the sound of a bat hitting a ball, you have to pick it up whether it's a hit and run or a straight steal, of course.

Dub25
05-23-2010, 01:41 AM
That's exactly what it is. On a steal you just put your head down and run, hit and run you are seeing if the ball is put in play.

Are you all sure that the hit and run is on? Because I see a guy look in when the guy is not swinging and a hitter better be swinging if the hit and run is on. I think are guys look for a second because they stole on their own and they are looking to see if the hitter swung.

Let me correct that, they may not be stealing on their own but if the steal sign was on, it doesn't necessarily mean the hitter is taking. Does this make sense?

slavko
05-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Are you all sure that the hit and run is on? Because I see a guy look in when the guy is not swinging and a hitter better be swinging if the hit and run is on. I think are guys look for a second because they stole on their own and they are looking to see if the hitter swung.

Let me correct that, they may not be stealing on their own but if the steal sign was on, it doesn't necessarily mean the hitter is taking. Does this make sense?

You aren't crazy unless I am too. I've had the same thoughts.

kufram
05-23-2010, 12:19 PM
I think the runner's job is to get to 2nd base as fast as he can in any case. A runner only needs to look anywhere other than where he is going to avoid getting hit by a batted ball, so I think your point is valid. Am I wrong?

downstairs
05-23-2010, 01:38 PM

The Sox are so fundementally bad this year, these plays could easily be botched hit-and-runs.

Iwritecode
05-24-2010, 11:35 AM
I think the runner's job is to get to 2nd base as fast as he can in any case. A runner only needs to look anywhere other than where he is going to avoid getting hit by a batted ball, so I think your point is valid. Am I wrong?

They also need to know if the ball was caught by someone so they can get back to the bag.

jabrch
05-24-2010, 12:01 PM
The Sox are so fundementally bad this year, these plays could easily be botched hit-and-runs.

I'm not sure sure that fundamentals has been the problem this year...TCQ hitting under .200, AJ hitting under .200, Teahen hitting whatever...Pierre until a few weeks ago...TCM... and then the awful pitching relative to expectations...

In other seasons it has been fundamentals. I'm not sure that is the problem at all this year.

kufram
05-24-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure sure that fundamentals has been the problem this year...TCQ hitting under .200, AJ hitting under .200, Teahen hitting whatever...Pierre until a few weeks ago...TCM... and then the awful pitching relative to expectations...

In other seasons it has been fundamentals. I'm not sure that is the problem at all this year.

I agree. We can get a bunt down. We're 4th in the league in fielding, 2nd in stolen bases. This year it is just bad performance. It HAS to get better.

Shoeless
05-24-2010, 02:53 PM
I agree. We can get a bunt down. We're 4th in the league in fielding, 2nd in stolen bases. This year it is just bad performance. It HAS to get better.

We have what Ozzie wants, a team that can do everything....except hit and get on base. But once they do, at least they're fast

jabrch
05-24-2010, 03:10 PM
We have what Ozzie wants, a team that can do everything....except hit and get on base. But once they do, at least they're fast

Yeah....I'm sure Ozzie wanted all these guys to hit this ****ty...