PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Yay Gavin! 5/22 Postgame thread

GoGoCrede
05-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Awesome. Caught the tail end of this one.

EDIT - Mods, I put the wrong date in the thread title...could you fix it, please? :)

Thanks

KnightSox
05-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Bobby showed some velocity, but I was still nervous. One more for the sweep!

JermaineDye05
05-22-2010, 03:54 PM
We won back-to-back games for the first time since the Mariners sweep, I believe.

Hawk said "It's been a good crowd as usual" at the end of the game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't the Sox had a lot of empty seats this year? :scratch:

GAsoxfan
Can we switch leagues with the Cubs?

GoGoCrede
We won back-to-back games for the first time since the Mariners sweep, I believe.

Hawk said "It's been a good crowd as usual" at the end of the game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't the Sox had a lot of empty seats this year? :scratch:

Yes.

RhubarbStew
05-22-2010, 03:56 PM

I thought he meant the energy of the crowd or something to that effect.

VMSNS
05-22-2010, 03:57 PM
The official catch-phrase of the day...

"Strike on Konerko".

hi im skot
05-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Winning is much more fun.

soxfanreggie
05-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Quality starts along with good hitting - just need to keep playing like this!

GoGoCrede
05-22-2010, 04:01 PM
It's nice not to have to defend Gavin after a game this time. :smile:

JermaineDye05
05-22-2010, 04:03 PM

"Strike on Konerko".

Hawk just sent this into MLB for a rule change.

"If it's a strike on Konerko, then it's a strike on everybody."

LoveYourSuit
05-22-2010, 04:03 PM
These are the best two back to back games of the year.

Momentum maybe?

Let's hope.

harwar
05-22-2010, 04:10 PM
had this feeling all morning that Floyd would have an awesome game and according to Stoney he "dominated today" so i'll take his word for it lol .. having a big barbecue, so i only heard it on radio but it sounded like a great game .. Freddy has a great inter-league record so lets go for the sweep !!!

LITTLE NELL
05-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Lets hope these last 2 games are the start of a long winning streak.

SI1020
05-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Lets hope these last 2 games are the start of a long winning streak. Amen to that.

JermaineDye05
05-22-2010, 04:37 PM

Like Ozzie said in the postgame thread, I'd love for this team to focus more on winning more series' than on winning 10 in a row. Just take it one game at a time.

That being said, I'd love a streak of 10 games.

Let's sweep the Marlins first.

SephClone89
05-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Like Ozzie said in the postgame thread, I'd love for this team to focus more on winning more series' than on winning 10 in a row. Just take it one game at a time.

:o:

Where? I missed that. :tongue:

October26
05-22-2010, 04:49 PM
It's nice not to have to defend Gavin after a game this time. :smile:

Amen to that! Gavin pitched well today. I enjoyed watching today's game with my 82 year old father who said he was happy to see the Sox get back to back wins, even if it is against a weaker national league team. Keep it going, boys! :cool:

thomas35forever
05-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Gavin pitched well for once. Let's hope he's starting to turn it around.

SOXSINCE'70
05-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Bobby showed some velocity, but I was still nervous.

Thanks to Bobby Jenks, my nerve endings are almost toast.

No teal needed.

SOXSINCE'70
05-22-2010, 04:58 PM

"Strike on Konerko".

I am sending in a rule change to MLB.

Any ground ball hit to the shortstop will now
be known as a "Konerko" ball .:D:

SOXSINCE'70
05-22-2010, 05:01 PM

To quote a line uttered by the late Ted Knight in the 1980
classic "Caddyshack":

"Well.....we're waiting."

October26
05-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Sox bullpen also looked good today and kudos to the Sox fan who posted (Rios Grande!) in the gamethread. Hilarious!

Lip Man 1
05-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Seems like forever since they played well in back to back games. Thank God for the National League!

Lip

Frontman
05-22-2010, 05:27 PM

I'll take a streak of winning 10 series.

Marqhead
05-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Winning is much more fun.

Front runner.

Solid game all around. Good to see Gavin get out of some big situations and settle down to have a good game. Excellent job by the bullpen and good to see Bobby throwing well.

A sweep would be delightful, Josh Johnson is a tough one.

Red Barchetta
05-22-2010, 05:33 PM
I watched the game through the FSN sports feed and had the Marlin announcers. There was a nice segment where they were discussing the White Sox and looking at their lineup and pitching staff and could not believe their record so far this season. It was nice hearing the visiting team's announcers mention that the SOX are way better than their record.

I hope they are right!

TDog
05-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Can we switch leagues with the Cubs?

But think of all the pitchers the Sox would face that they have never faced before.

Actually, today the Sox beat another pitcher they had never faced before, something they did last night. Some people will tell you such things never happen.

If you don't feel comfortable giving the White Sox some credit on doing things right to win a game, you can attribute the victory to the National League teams not being very good, I guess.

I wouldn't be so quick to label the NL teams easy to beat based on two wins by the White Sox so far this weekend. Floyd actually pitched a good game until he tired, something he has been doing much earlier lately, having success only the first time through the order if that.

Last night Ramirez was the hitting star. Today he continued to come up with runners in scoring position, but Rios hitting behind him picked him up. It's nice to see different hitters stepping up to drive in the big runs.

Quentin looked good with another two-hit game and an RBI that made things a lot easier in the ninth. Imagine how never Sox fans would have been if the tying run had been on deck against Jenks in the ninth. The Marlins didn't hit the ball out of the infield against Jenks, but he did have three balls on one hitter.

arKnaD7
05-22-2010, 05:59 PM
I couldn't watch the game, but from the gamecast it seemed that Bobby stopped trying to pinpoint the 93-95 mph fastball and went with the 96-98 up in the zone. I like the latter strategy for him more.

ChiSoxGirl
05-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Just got home from the ballpark about a half hour ago, thanks to traffic extraordinaire. Today was as perfect out there as it was on Opening Day, just without all the pomp and circumstance. The weather was awesome once the clouds broke and the Sox played a good game all-around. My friend and I opted for the Fan Deck this afternoon, rather than the shade that would have found us in Sec. 113 and, well, let's just say ChiSoxGirl became one with the sun this afternoon. :redface: It had been awhile since I'd watched a game from the Fan Deck and I forgot how awesome the view is from up there. There was a nice crowd on hand and they were into the game the whole time. Somehow, in this dreary season, I'm 4-0. :scratch:

JB98
05-22-2010, 07:00 PM
From my vantage point, it looked like Floyd was throwing his breaking ball for strikes today. That was the difference for him, when compared to previous outings.

Great job by Putz to put out the fire in that seventh. That was the inning the Sox needed to survive, and they did. Pretty clear sailing from that point forward.

g0g0
05-22-2010, 07:02 PM
All I have to say is thank god for Florida!!!

soxinem1
05-22-2010, 07:16 PM
From my vantage point, it looked like Floyd was throwing his breaking ball for strikes today. That was the difference for him, when compared to previous outings.

Great job by Putz to put out the fire in that seventh. That was the inning the Sox needed to survive, and they did. Pretty clear sailing from that point forward.

Definitely two of the key areas of the game here. Floyd has to have his good breaking stuff more often than he has, and that 7th and 8th inning jinx needs to disappear.

I don't care if it Williams and Linebrink; a couple of these guys need to step it up and take control of that role.

october23sp
05-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Keep this up, couple days ago I said we could lose 100, now it feels like we could win the division, stay consistantly good please!

TheCommander
05-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Somehow, in this dreary season, I'm 4-0. :scratch:

On behalf of all Sox fans, go to more games, PLEASE! :wink:

bunty_doghunter
05-22-2010, 09:57 PM
Keep this up, couple days ago I said we could lose 100, now it feels like we could win the division, stay consistantly good please!
Well, if we repeated the last two days' results for all teams, we finish in second, 8 1/2 games back. I guess that is some kind of victory over potential.

slavko
05-22-2010, 10:27 PM

"Strike on Konerko".

One pitch, 2 seamer that tailed back over the outside corner "area" is called a strike and Hawk droned on it for a whole game.

[QUOTE=KnightSox;2502021]Bobby showed some velocity, but I was still nervous. [QUOTE]

Thanks to Bobby Jenks, my nerve endings are almost toast.

No teal needed.

I couldn't watch the game, but from the gamecast it seemed that Bobby stopped trying to pinpoint the 93-95 mph fastball and went with the 96-98 up in the zone. I like the latter strategy for him more.

That's it! All high fastballs with the old time speed and one curve to end the game. I'll keep saying it:He throws too many different pitches for a one inning pitcher.

Frater Perdurabo
05-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Nice to get another win. Need to be pleased with baby steps.

12 runs in two games? Greg Walker is the best hitting coach in the history of ever.

october23sp
05-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Well, if we repeated the last two days' results for all teams, we finish in second, 8 1/2 games back. I guess that is some kind of victory over potential.

Yeah, I just think this team COULD win a division, the COULD also lose 100 games, it's a weird bunch.

SBSoxFan
05-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Quality starts along with good hitting - just need to keep playing like this!

No doubt this is how it was drawn up going into the season.

The Sox are actually hitting with runners in scoring position which has made an obvious difference. I think they've raised that average about 20 points over the last 4 games.
Starters are getting deeper into games.
The bullpen hasn't given up a run in its last 19 innings.

They'll be hard pressed to go on a run given that they have 4 games in Tampa next week, but if they can find a way to hit .500 60 games in, it could end up being an interesting summer after all.

Nellie_Fox
05-23-2010, 12:37 AM
I wish I had seen it. The schedule that I have (printed out from the Sox web site back at the start of the season) said game at 6:10. I was watching the Canadiens/Flyers game when the Sox final score scrolled across the bottom of the screen.

guillensdisciple
05-23-2010, 03:32 AM
Awesome. Caught the tail end of this one.

EDIT - Mods, I put the wrong date in the thread title...could you fix it, please? :)

Thanks

You would create this thread :). If Gavin wins the next two I promise to take back all I said about him.

Anyway, happy to see the win. Anyone else stoked by the performance of Quentin and Alexei lately. They could be huge.

keep it rolling Sox, I am always faithful.

pudge
05-23-2010, 03:56 AM
But think of all the pitchers the Sox would face that they have never faced before.

Actually, today the Sox beat another pitcher they had never faced before, something they did last night. Some people will tell you such things never happen.

If you don't feel comfortable giving the White Sox some credit on doing things right to win a game, you can attribute the victory to the National League teams not being very good, I guess.

I wouldn't be so quick to label the NL teams easy to beat based on two wins by the White Sox so far this weekend.

I agree, who knows if it has anything to do with the NL, they simply looked good finally to back to back games. Hope this isn't just a blind squirrel finding a nut.

SoxFan78
05-23-2010, 06:43 AM
Great game by Gavin. 2 game winning streak, maybe these Sox are turning it around. Who would have thought that Pierre and Rios would be some of our top hitters at this point?

palehozenychicty
05-23-2010, 07:29 AM
Two well-played games, and two nice wins. Josh Johnson is a good one, though, so let's see what happens later on today. Rios has really been consistent from day one.

Konerko05
05-23-2010, 07:57 AM
I only caught the end of the game, but today was the first game this season where Jenks' fast didn't look like it was sitting on a tee every pitch. This includes pitches he's thrown at 96.

Today, the fastball had that extra zip on it, which is very encouraging. It had the ability to make hitters swing and miss. Hopefully he can keep it going and it comes along with the missing snap on his curveball.

Wishful thinking, I know.

hawkjt
05-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Positives:

Gordon looks hitterish the last couple of days. Old Beckham. Nice.
Kotsay also.
Juan for awhile has been squaring it up better.
Alexi had a good day on Friday...coming out of his April swoon?
Carlos is seeing the ball much better the last few games.
PK and Alex continue to mash.
Teahen looks better the last couple of days at the plate and in the field.
Gavin survived a rough inning without giving up 5. He got his changeup working late,threw more curves for strikes.
Sergio continues to dominate.
Bobby threw high hard,low hard,with movement..but for strikes.
When Thornton returns, the Sox will have 4 of the top power relievers around with Sergio,Matt,JJ and Bobby...that is how kenny drew it up. Even Linebrink and Pena throw 95mph..now about Williams:?: