View Full Version : Home Movies - White Sox 'shorts'

Lip Man 1
05-22-2010, 01:40 PM
From August 22, 1976 vs. Baltimore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQiX62Y1N_Q&feature=player_embedded

Lip

WhiteSox5187
05-22-2010, 02:04 PM
I was about to post that! Dammit! I guess this shows that they wore those shorts at least twice.

Brian26
05-22-2010, 02:37 PM
At the one minute mark you see Kravec warming up in the bullpen. Did Comiskey have bullpen dugouts down the lines at that time, or were the bullpens situated that close to the main dugout?

Edit - nevermind, looks like bullpen dugouts later in the video.

Brian26
05-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Red seats in the outfield look awful, as does the paint job on the centerfield wall.

WhiteSox5187
05-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Red seats in the outfield look awful, as does the paint job on the centerfield wall.

The red seats never looked good. Veeck did just paint the park that year though so it's somewhat surprising the CF wall looks so shoddy.

NLaloosh
05-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Awesome, Mark! Much appreciated.

Jorge Orta was my favoriet player back then.

Those shorts...wow...Veeck was a great man...had some good ideas...and some bad ones.

roylestillman
05-22-2010, 05:30 PM
The red seats never looked good. Veeck did just paint the park that year though so it's somewhat surprising the CF wall looks so shoddy.
If my memory is right, those red seats are left over from the Allyn years. (There was an even more hideous section in the left field upper deck that was painted multi-colors to give the illusion that the seats were filled.) Veeck painted all the seats green (Federal Green for the real trivia buffs) in time for the 1977 season. He did manage to whitewash the outside of the park before the 76 season, restoring the Comiskey Park name (Allyns had refered to it as White Sox Park and painted that on the outside. This was also the first year of the pinwheels on the scoreboard.

Lip Man 1
05-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Brian:

Yes there were years when the bullpens were just beyond the dugouts down the left and right field lines. Gossage used to talk about how hard it was to warm up and get ready when literally the fans were only a few feet from you.

At other times when the center field fence was 402 feet away, the areas between the fence and the original wall (about 445 feet away) under the scoreboard were split in half and turned into the home and road team bullpens.

Lip

kba
05-22-2010, 08:27 PM
If my memory is right, those red seats are left over from the Allyn years. (There was an even more hideous section in the left field upper deck that was painted multi-colors to give the illusion that the seats were filled.)

You can see the multi-colored seats in the right field upper deck at 3:47 into the video. During the Allyn years, all the seats in the park were color-coded to indicate their prices: reserved seats were red, general admission was blue, etc. If you look carefully during the shots of the outfield, you can see that only about the first ten rows are red, then the seats further back are blue.

This was also the first year of the natural grass infield after Veeck tore out the Astroturf. The new grass looks awful in the film.

Lip Man 1
05-22-2010, 08:43 PM
That's because it was ruined due to staging concerts sponsored by California Jam. That was one of the ways the Sox tried to get some money but the problem was the field, especially in the outfield was so torn up by the concert fans that the money gained had to be reinvested into new sod.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
05-23-2010, 09:53 AM

I'm pretty sure the all green seats came in 1977. A year after he took over the ownership. One thing about Veeck, he loved to paint as he is the one who painted the outside white back in 1960.

PS I hated those uniforms and the shorts were even worse.

Brian26
05-23-2010, 10:04 AM
PS I hated those uniforms and the shorts were even worse.

You know what looked really bad? To see Kravec warming up with the shorts on and then long sleeves under his jersey.

LITTLE NELL
05-23-2010, 10:14 AM
You know what looked really bad? To see Kravec warming up with the shorts on and then long sleeves under his jersey.

Except for 72 and 77 it was not a good decade for us Sox fans, what with bad teams, lousy uniforms and Disco Demolition night.
Someone mentioned how bad the field looked in the clip, well after the Demolition night it looked like a war zone.

Chez
05-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Two runs on three hits! Fire Walker!

Brian26
05-23-2010, 02:37 PM
At other times when the center field fence was 402 feet away, the areas between the fence and the original wall (about 445 feet away) under the scoreboard were split in half and turned into the home and road team bullpens.

Lip

I definitely remember the auxiliary fence in centerfield going up and coming down regularly. I think it was down in 1980 and '81 and finally went back up for good in 1982. The '82 Topps Sticker Book had a centerfield foldout of Old Comiskey, presumably taken during the '81 season, and it showed the brick centerfield wall at 440'. I wish I still had that book and all the stickers, but it got tossed a long time ago.

Brian26
05-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Except for 72 and 77 it was not a good decade for us Sox fans, what with bad teams, lousy uniforms and Disco Demolition night.
Someone mentioned how bad the field looked in the clip, well after the Demolition night it looked like a war zone.

That was definitely a different era. I cannot imagine MLB allowing a field to look like that and be played on in today's game.

WhiteSox5187
05-23-2010, 03:24 PM
That was definitely a different era. I cannot imagine MLB allowing a field to look like that and be played on in today's game.

I think the fields look so pristine now because of the MLBPA and the CBA, lots of teams had lousy fields. I remember watching a clip of the '71 World Series and being stunned and how shoddy the field looked.

LITTLE NELL
05-23-2010, 04:11 PM
I think the fields look so pristine now because of the MLBPA and the CBA, lots of teams had lousy fields. I remember watching a clip of the '71 World Series and being stunned and how shoddy the field looked.

Had to be in Baltimore because Pittsburgh had Astroturf. The Orioles shared Memorial Stadium with the Colts who probably had a few games there early in the NFL season.

WhiteSox5187
05-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Had to be in Baltimore because Pittsburgh had Astroturf. The Orioles shared Memorial Stadium with the Colts who probably had a few games there early in the NFL season.

Yea it was in Baltimore. But there have been several games from that era I have seen where the field looked shoddy.

LongLiveFisk
05-23-2010, 04:34 PM

I can't imagine MLB allowing players to wear shorts today. Can you imagine sliding into second for a steal or diving on that infield dirt to stop a line drive? Ouch.

LongLiveFisk
05-23-2010, 04:38 PM
If my memory is right, those red seats are left over from the Allyn years. (There was an even more hideous section in the left field upper deck that was painted multi-colors to give the illusion that the seats were filled.) Veeck painted all the seats green (Federal Green for the real trivia buffs) in time for the 1977 season. He did manage to whitewash the outside of the park before the 76 season, restoring the Comiskey Park name (Allyns had refered to it as White Sox Park and painted that on the outside. This was also the first year of the pinwheels on the scoreboard.

Thanks for that info because I was just wondering about that. I don't ever recall the seats being blue or red but then again my first game was in 1978 and I was only 7 at the time. It looks strange seeing those colors now.

Lip Man 1
05-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Fisk:

I believe that I read somewhere, where when the Sox wore the shorts they had "sliding pads" built into them so that, that area of the leg would make contact with the ground first and have some protection but I can't swear if this is true or not.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
05-23-2010, 09:06 PM
How neat. That's the day I was born! :bandance:

LITTLE NELL
05-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Fisk:

I believe that I read somewhere, where when the Sox wore the shorts they had "sliding pads" built into them so that, that area of the leg would make contact with the ground first and have some protection but I can't swear if this is true or not.

Lip

if you look closely you can see pads at the top of the socks which protected the knees
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0908/mlb.remember.when.baseball.uniforms/images/bucky-dent-white-sox-shorts.jpg (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0908/mlb.remember.when.baseball.uniforms/content.2.html)