PDA

View Full Version : MSN's take on the 10 best ballparks

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-21-2010, 01:47 PM
No suprise that Fenway and Wrigley are in there.

Kudos to Kauffman.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/lists/Major-League-Baseball%27s-10-best-ballparks-gallery?GT1=39002#sport=MLB&photo=11206812

SephClone89
05-21-2010, 03:19 PM
PNC easily deserves to be in the top five.

LoveYourSuit
05-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Article states you can see the sun set behind the fountains at Kaufman:?:

I might have to race down to KC just to see that astrological spectacle.

MeteorsSox4367
05-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Going to Kauffman in a couple weeks for Royals-Tigers.

As for PNC, it is breathtakingly beautiful.

white sox bill
05-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Did writer even visit these places? The Urinal number 2? Of course thats no surprise but it makes you wonder if this is another case of media induced hype.

05-21-2010, 03:52 PM
I like Petco better than AT&T for the park itself. AT&T just has a way better backdrop.

LoveYourSuit
05-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Going to Kauffman in a couple weeks for Royals-Tigers.

As for PNC, it is breathtakingly beautiful.

Went there this past weekend for the 2nd time, this time after the renovations.

It's a very nice park when it comes to the view inside, looking at the field and the OF. The upper deck still looks lame and the outside shows no improvements.

The new OF concourse is very nice and very festive. Check that out for sure.

MeteorsSox4367
05-21-2010, 04:03 PM
Went there this past weekend for the 2nd time, this time after the renovations.

It's a very nice park when it comes to the view inside, looking at the field and the OF. The upper deck still looks lame and the outside shows no improvements.

The new OF concourse is very nice and very festive. Check that out for sure.

A friend of mine from work is originally from KC, so he and his family are going home for the weekend and invited me along.

I saw Kauffman in '93 against Boston, but that was so long ago. Want to see the Royals Hall of Fame since George Brett is arguably my favorite non-Sox player.

Max Power
05-21-2010, 05:09 PM
The second thing he writes about Wrigley is the upper deck has a "breathtaking view" of the lake. Really? The upper deck at Comiskey has essentially an equivalent view of the lake. I've never thought either view was anything special, let alone "breathtaking."

I can't complain too much about the list though. I would have had Safeco on it. I've been to Coors and Busch and they're very nice. I think it's a little early to put Target Field so high, but I'll find out for myself in July. I'm also going to PNC in July and I can't wait.

DumpJerry
05-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Great American Ballpark has some very nice views. It's just that all that red everywhere will drive you to commit mass murder or something......

Coops4Aces
05-21-2010, 06:28 PM
PNC is awesome, top 3.

Wrigley is a dump. That and Dodger stadium should be off the list. I'm also not a big fan of Fenway, but I guess people think otherwise.

Also, is the Twins new park really that nice?

Boondock Saint
05-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Fenway and Wrigley are not great baseball stadiums, and I don't just say that because they're old. Yankee stadium was an outstanding stadium, and it had been around forever. Fenway and Wrigley are just plain old.

VMSNS
05-21-2010, 08:52 PM
LOL, Wrigley.

I was at AT&T around the time it opened. Nice park, very beautiful with the water in the background.

My father has been to almost every MLB stadium, and he told me that PNC and Kauffman were the best.

Slappy
05-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Cool list.

I didn't know how well regarded PNC was. That looks beautiful.

I'm going to try to go to a Giants game when I'm in San Fran in a couple weeks. Anyone know if tickets are hard to come by? Any tips for when at the park etc?

DSpivack
05-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Cool list.

I'm going to try to go to a Giants game when I'm in San Fran in a couple weeks. Anyone know if tickets are hard to come by? Any tips for when at the park etc?

Bundle up if it's a night game, and check the weather if a day game. And get the garlic fries. I was there like 10 years ago, no idea about tix.

Marqhead
05-21-2010, 10:30 PM
AT&T Park was great. I was there when it was Pac-Bell Park.

It was a while ago, and I can't say much about tickets or concessions. We tried to walk up and get tickets and the game was sold out, outside the stadium some guy walked up to us and handed us two tickets 20 rows back on the 3rd base side. Great seats and a ton of fun. Great looking ball park from what I remember.

GoGoCrede
05-21-2010, 11:04 PM
For my money, AT&T Park is the most beautiful park in the league (besides ours).

DSpivack
05-21-2010, 11:08 PM
For my money, AT&T Park is the most beautiful park in the league (besides ours).

I don't know if it's my favorite looking park, but it certainly has the best setting, background and view.

SephClone89
05-21-2010, 11:19 PM
I don't know if it's my favorite looking park, but it certainly has the best setting, background and view.

I have to disagree. PNC is easily my favourite I've ever been to, and the view and setting is even better. That skyline looks so picturesque in right field.

I've been to ATT as well and really liked it, but I was very young so maybe I couldn't really appreciate it.

DSpivack
05-21-2010, 11:29 PM
I have to disagree. PNC is easily my favourite I've ever been to, and the view and setting is even better. That skyline looks so picturesque in right field.

I've been to ATT as well and really liked it, but I was very young so maybe I couldn't really appreciate it.

I haven't been to PNC and thus can't make the comparison, but everything I've seen on tv or in pictures seems like it's a fantastic park. I'll have to make the trip to Pittsburgh some day.

NDSox12
05-22-2010, 12:28 AM
My top 5:

1. San Francisco
2. Pittsburgh
3. San Diego
4. Baltimore
5. St. Louis

I haven't been to Target Field yet (planning a trip for one of the Sox games in July), but I've been to the other 29.

Nellie_Fox
05-22-2010, 01:40 AM
I haven't been to Target Field yet (planning a trip for one of the Sox games in July), but I've been to the other 29.I think you'll like it. Just stay away from the new hotdog; it's terrible.

I've had several native Minnesotans tell me that they have visited Wrigley and thought it was an uncomfortable dump, and didn't understand why people make a big deal about it.

goofymsfan
05-22-2010, 11:46 AM
I was surprised that Safeco Field wasn't on the list. :scratch: Of the ballparks I've been too, it's still my favorite because of the places you can view the game from. You can walk around the main concourse and watch the game as you go (except for the small section behind the batter's eye). Not to mention there is the Bullpen landing area that is a great view of the game. If you go to the upper levels, you get a great view of the city and the Sound.

AT&T park was nice as is Coors, Petco, The Ball Park in Arlington, but Safeco is still tops. Dodger Stadium didn't impress me.

manders_01
05-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Glad to see Coors on there. Although I haven't be to a ton of parks, it's easily my favorite. The accessibility, the views, the concourse, the food, etc.; all good stuff! And the fact that I can walk to the park from home isn't what got it there although that part gets an honorable mention. :tongue:

DSpivack
05-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Glad to see Coors on there. Although I haven't be to a ton of parks, it's easily my favorite. The accessibility, the views, the concourse, the food, etc.; all good stuff! And the fact that I can walk to the park from home isn't what got it there although that part gets an honorable mention. :tongue:

Eh, I wasn't that in love with Coors. Turner Field and Nats Park seem to be built from the same cloth with a pretty similar design [esp. Turner]; nothing I dislike with them, nothing I really love about them.

I love Denver, though.

Slappy
05-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Bundle up if it's a night game, and check the weather if a day game. And get the garlic fries. I was there like 10 years ago, no idea about tix.

Good to know. Thanks!

Which reminds me, the garlic or garlic Parmesan fries at the United Center were so weak.

palehozenychicty
05-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Cool list.

You can always do StubHub or FanSnap. Now that they're competitive again, it'll depend on the opponent. Great stadium, though, with Garlic Fries, a Hot Chocolate vendor, and solid microbrews. And bring a blanket.

bridgeportcopper
05-23-2010, 10:55 AM
I think you'll like it. Just stay away from the new hotdog; it's terrible.

I've had several native Minnesotans tell me that they have visited Wrigley and thought it was an uncomfortable dump, and didn't understand why people make a big deal about it.

I was a big fan of the Dome Dog in the Metrodome. Thought it was the only good thing in that rotten hellhole. Did they throw us a changeup? No good now?

johnnyg83
05-23-2010, 11:28 AM
I wonder if he did really go to Kauffman. He says the sun sets behind the scoreboard ... but but but that's East.

05-23-2010, 12:05 PM
ATT has great concessions and beverages. Try the Garlic Fries if you ever go there!

I said earlier that as far as the stadium design goes, Petco is a better ballpark than ATT in my opinion but you can't beat the background setting and splash landings.

I still can't believe Petco is not on this list. With the Gaslamp District bar and restaurant scene surrounding it and the park itself, I don't think the person who rated this even visited it. I will say that the food and beverage selections are average at best.

Petco is also a SUPER kid friendly park. They have its own "the beach" section for kids to play in a big sandbox that sits right next to the outfield wall. Tickets are only $10.00 for that section and they also have a $6.00 ticket for general admission. There is a huge lawn section beyond the outfield for families. You can enjoy a ballgame and not spend much money at all.

manders_01
05-23-2010, 12:26 PM
LOL It appears ballparks are trying to out duel each other with their garlic fries. Coors has some amazing ones as well! :D:

DSpivack
05-23-2010, 01:18 PM
LOL It appears ballparks are trying to out duel each other with their garlic fries. Coors has some amazing ones as well! :D:

Do they have bits of garlic pieces at Coors, or do they just use garlic salt?

The appeal to me, which I admit is rather silly, is that AT&T Park is about 70 miles away from Gilroy, CA, the garlic capital of the US.

manders_01
05-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Do they have bits of garlic pieces at Coors, or do they just use garlic salt?

The appeal to me, which I admit is rather silly, is that AT&T Park is about 70 miles away from Gilroy, CA, the garlic capital of the US.

Garlic bits IIRC (although I'm having trouble remembering even though I had them a week ago! :redneck) and there's also thyme and rosemary on them. Super good!

DSpivack
05-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Garlic bits IIRC (although I'm having trouble remembering even though I had them a week ago! :redneck) and there's also thyme and rosemary on them. Super good!

I'll have to get them if I make a trip to see my sister this summer.

Nellie_Fox
05-24-2010, 01:44 AM
I was a big fan of the Dome Dog in the Metrodome. Thought it was the only good thing in that rotten hellhole. Did they throw us a changeup? No good now?Yeah, the Dome Dog was made by Hormel (a Minnesota company.) With the change in ballparks, they made a big deal out of looking for a new hot dog, and gave the contract to Schweigert's, also a Minnesota company. The one the vendors sell in the stands is a "natural casing" hot dog that is absolutely flavorless. I guess they have different dogs at the concession stands, but I didn't try them yet, and they're made by the same company, so I'm not optimistic.

soxfanreggie
05-24-2010, 01:31 PM
No suprise that Fenway and Wrigley are in there.

Kudos to Kauffman.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/lists/Major-League-Baseball%27s-10-best-ballparks-gallery?GT1=39002#sport=MLB&photo=11206812

My cousin and I are planning a trip to Kauffman when the Sox play out there next season. I'm definitely looking forward to a great trip and seeing the improvements they've made.