PDA

View Full Version : Thought Provoking Column

Lip Man 1
05-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Regardless of your position it did cause me to stop and think a few things about the last few days and this season:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/2299348,CST-SPT-joe21.article

Lip

captain54
05-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Cowley's take is pretty much the same as I've read on this board, many times.

Despite all the verbiage, the true harbringer for Williams and Co is gonna staring out over the vast expanse of empty seats. Then there will be no where to run, no where to hide.

jabrch
05-21-2010, 10:42 AM
I disagree with Joe entirely. As much as media folks wish all athletes, coaches and front office folks were honest with them, it isn't in the team's best interest to do so. It would make for awesome copy - but that's not what I want my team to do.

Screw Joe and his desire to hear the truth. I want my GM to do what he thinks is in the team's best interest. If that is misdirection - cool. If it is saying nothing - or speaking in vague generalities that end up having no meaning - cool. If it means outright lying to the media - I'm good with that too.

It does no good in mid May for KW to come out and say, "this team sucks and it's my fault...OGs fault...the players fault...anyone's fault" because that could only serve to reduce the value of his players on the market, strip OG of power, or weaken his position in the market place. The upside to it - Joe being able to write a better story - is irrelevant to KW's mission.

pythons007
05-21-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm still not sure that Williams isn't telling the truth. Last year he made two humongous moves when the team wasn't really in the fight for a playoff birth. He went out and traded for Jake Peavy and then aquired Alex Rios.

I'm not sure how far out they were last season at the trade deadline when Rios was picked up. However 7 out now and it's only May and Williams optimism as it's been throughout his tenure, I'm believing what he's saying.

I can't help but keep being optomistic as well. I'm not happy about it, but until the Sox have pulled the old yeller bit, I can't stop believing (LOL, I couldn't help it:D:).

They obviously need to go on a run here and quickly. But anything is possible.

Floyd is a notoriously slow starter. So I'm not worried there.
Buehrle has been a workhorse throughout his career and I believe he'll right the ship.
Danks has been the lone bright spot in the rotation all year
Pierre is working things out and is starting to get his average up like I thought he would.
Beckham had a clutch 2RBI hit last night, which is a good sign.
As did A.J.
I've tried really I have to give up on this team, but seriously it is only May (which is almost over). If they don't put a run together in the next week or two, then I will definately pull the plug on the season.

october23sp
05-21-2010, 10:48 AM
This article seems like it was written after reading WSI. I like it, this team blows and everyone knows including Kenny.

Our franchise will look pathetic on "The Club."

kufram
05-21-2010, 11:22 AM
This article seems like it was written after reading WSI. I like it, this team blows and everyone knows including Kenny.

Our franchise will look pathetic on "The Club."

Hmm.. maybe "The Club" is "The Problem". Bad idea in any case.

I don't think much about what columnists write. I read it but that's about it.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-21-2010, 11:27 AM
I heard about this on M&H this morning.

Cowley wasn't even present Wednesday when KW talked to the media.

Kind of interesting how he demands "truth" when he's not present himself. Sounds familiar.

NLaloosh
05-21-2010, 11:38 AM
What's Kenny going to say ?

Firstly, everyone knows that the talent on this team is not that bad. But, how much does that matter when they are playing this poorly?

We know that eventually they will play better but it will be too late then. So, what should KW do?

The only question left for him is... can I get by unloading just a few guys and do the same type of patchwork job that I've been doing for years or will I be pressure by the fans, media and ownership to do a real rebuilding job?

WhiteSox1989
05-21-2010, 11:45 AM
I don't really take anything Cowley has to say seriously.

I follow him on Twitter, and I'm still not sure why, when I can easily unfollow him.

Noneck
05-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Williams, the chairman, Ozwaldo can said whatever they want but the fans all have eyes, ears or both and gray matter. What the fans believe will be reflected in attendance figures.

Dan H
05-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Williams, the chairman, Ozwaldo can said whatever they want but the fans all have eyes, ears or both and gray matter. What the fans believe will be reflected in attendance figures.

I agree. We don't need to worry about Williams kidding us; we just don't need to kid ourselves.

kittle42
05-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Sports has shown itself time and again to be much like politics in terms of what players/coaches/management say to the media. Ozzie is often "honest" and gets ripped for it. Then when he tries to cover for his players, he gets ripped for it. What is Williams supposed to do? Tell the media he sucks and all his players are huge underachievers? Just not realistic.

As always, the results will speak for themselves, and no matter what, the media will write whatever they want to create buzz.

captain54
05-21-2010, 12:19 PM
because that could only serve to reduce the value of his players on the market.

I think the value of his players is already reduced. (with a few exceptions) Have you checked the White Sox stats lately?

JB98
05-21-2010, 12:20 PM
I think KW would have been better served to just say nothing. I understand that he can't come out and say, "This team blows. I'm sick of this ****, and I'm going to tear this thing apart." That would not be a smart move on his part.

But at the same time, it's kind of annoying as a fan to hear the GM play the "All is well and it's going to be OK" card when it's pretty clear to anyone that's been paying attention that there are major weaknesses all over the diamond with this team.

All I can do is hope Kenny doesn't actually believe his own propaganda. Most of us fans sure as hell don't buy what he's selling right now.

jabrch
05-21-2010, 12:37 PM
I think KW would have been better served to just say nothing. I understand that he can't come out and say, "This team blows. I'm sick of this ****, and I'm going to tear this thing apart." That would not be a smart move on his part.

But at the same time, it's kind of annoying as a fan to hear the GM play the "All is well and it's going to be OK" card when it's pretty clear to anyone that's been paying attention that there are major weaknesses all over the diamond with this team.

All I can do is hope Kenny doesn't actually believe his own propaganda. Most of us fans sure as hell don't buy what he's selling right now.

But is it an option to say nothing? He's the GM. He sits in front of the media from time to time. He can't just fold his hands over his chest and say "no comment". That wouldn't fly.

I've always said I don't pay much attention to what these guys say. What they do is much more important.

dickallen15
05-21-2010, 12:54 PM
We've gone through this same KW speech several seasons. He has to do it. I think most who pay attention realize what the truth is.

JB98
05-21-2010, 12:58 PM
But is it an option to say nothing? He's the GM. He sits in front of the media from time to time. He can't just fold his hands over his chest and say "no comment". That wouldn't fly.

I've always said I don't pay much attention to what these guys say. What they do is much more important.

Of course it is. Look at JR. He's the chairman. He says nothing.

The manager pretty much has to deal with media every day, but I think the GM is within his rights to pick his spots.