PDA

View Full Version : Starting Pitching

masloan
05-21-2010, 04:50 AM
The starting rotation has been by far the most disappointing part of this team. While not many thought the offense would be good, the majority thought the starting rotation would be top 3 in the league. So far it has been awful.

The starters ERA is 4.89, only Detroit and Boston are worse. The problem is that there is really nothing the Sox can do. Garcia is the only starter that could ever lose his job, and he is pitching pretty well. I guess we just have to wait and hope they turn it around. Hopefully the Sox are not 15 games out by then.

jabrch
05-21-2010, 07:02 AM
The starting rotation has been by far the most disappointing part of this team. While not many thought the offense would be good, the majority thought the starting rotation would be top 3 in the league. So far it has been awful.

The starters ERA is 4.89, only Detroit and Boston are worse. The problem is that there is really nothing the Sox can do. Garcia is the only starter that could ever lose his job, and he is pitching pretty well. I guess we just have to wait and hope they turn it around. Hopefully the Sox are not 15 games out by then.

Well said

Moses_Scurry
05-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Peavy, Buehrle, and Floyd, in that order, deserve far more blame for this abyssmal season than the offense, IMO. The offense is pretty much performing as expected.

pythons007
05-21-2010, 08:49 AM
I was listening to Hawk and Stone talk during the rain delay and how Peavy was warming up. He apparently took a very short warm up session before taking the mound last night. IIRC, Peavy doesn't like to warm up long, period!

So far his struggles in the majority of his starts have come in the 1st inning. His first couple of pitches last night were high 80s on his fastball. If he would just have taken a normal warmup prior to the game, I think he might have better results in the begining of the game.

In his 9 starts his ERA in the first inning is 13.00. This far into the season, and he's completed a full game of the 1st inning with awful results.
Does anyone else know if he takes a shorten warmup session prior to taking the mound?

dickallen15
05-21-2010, 09:50 AM
If it were a hitter, Greg Walker would be getting slammed right now. The White Sox pay Peavy and Buehrle a combined $29 million this year. Add in Gavin Floyd and his 7.00 ERA, how is Cooper getting a pass from the same people who pin every failed at bat on Greg Walker?

VMSNS
05-21-2010, 10:05 AM
I was listening to Hawk and Stone talk during the rain delay and how Peavy was warming up. He apparently took a very short warm up session before taking the mound last night. IIRC, Peavy doesn't like to warm up long, period!

So far his struggles in the majority of his starts have come in the 1st inning. His first couple of pitches last night were high 80s on his fastball. If he would just have taken a normal warmup prior to the game, I think he might have better results in the begining of the game.

In his 9 starts his ERA in the first inning is 13.00. This far into the season, and he's completed a full game of the 1st inning with awful results.
Does anyone else know if he takes a shorten warmup session prior to taking the mound?

Yeah, I definately think he's prone to the "big inning". Once he get's in a groove, however, he's on autopilot.

NLaloosh
05-21-2010, 10:17 AM
If it were a hitter, Greg Walker would be getting slammed right now. The White Sox pay Peavy and Buehrle a combined $29 million this year. Add in Gavin Floyd and his 7.00 ERA, how is Cooper getting a pass from the same people who pin every failed at bat on Greg Walker?

You'e right. He is getting a free pass based on his reputation. I think he's a good coach but he deserves some absorb some of the pressure,too.

He is not Dave Duncan by a longshot.

Moses_Scurry
05-21-2010, 10:23 AM

I think because people were so sure that the offense would be bad and so sure that the pitching would be great that they don't want to admit they were wrong about the pitching. They want to emphasize their right-ness for the hitting.

jabrch
05-21-2010, 10:36 AM
You'e right. He is getting a free pass based on his reputation. I think he's a good coach but he deserves some absorb some of the pressure,too.

He is not Dave Duncan by a longshot.

I'd rather blame Peavy and Buehrle than blame Coop.

NLaloosh
05-21-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm not saying that I'm blaming Cooper for the pitching problems. They all have to be held accountable.

soxrme
05-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Why leave him in struggling, leaving him in after the 4th was poor managing. Are we saving the bullpen for the Sept run?