PDA

View Full Version : Don Cooper Question

Brian26
05-20-2010, 08:17 PM
I picked up a bunch of old Sox media guides this past weekend at the Garage Sale, and I've been having fun reading them.

Did Don Cooper work as the pitching coach for the '95 Sox club?

His career stats show he was with Nashville before and after, but the media guide lists him with the Sox parent team in 1995. I have no recollection of him with the Sox, but admittedly I didn't watch much baseball that summer with the delayed Opening Day, loss of Black Jack, Kruk and Sabo fiasco and subsequent firing of Lamont.

downstairs
05-21-2010, 02:31 PM
I can't find any information, but they fired LaMont mid-season, so could they have fired the coaching staff and brought him up?

So he could have worked with both clubs (nashville and the parent White Sox.)

TDog
05-21-2010, 03:16 PM
The Baseball Retrosheet lists Don Cooper as a coach for the 1995 White Sox from June 2 through August 11. It shows Gene Lamont being fired on June 1 and Terry Bevington starting on June 2.

The site doesn't say who the White Sox pitching coach was in 1995. For many seasons it has such detail. I know Roly de Armas was the bullpen coach and Walt Hriniak was the hitting coach. Rick Peterson was probably the pitching coach because he went on to work as the pitching coach for the A's and up until a couple of seasons ago, the Yankees. But is shows he finished the 1995 season with the White Sox.

The site shows that Ron Jackson came up to work as first base coach the day that Bevington took over as manager (after having been a coach, I believe at first base) and was the only other coach to begin the same day as Cooper. Only Cooper and Lamont are shown to have not finished the season with the Sox.

It is possible, even likely that the mess that the 1995 season was contributed to incomplete information on the coaches. I am guessing that Cooper came up as a sort of second pitching coach to work with a few pitchers before returning to Nashville. But that is only a guess.