PDA

View Full Version : Send Beckham to AAA

LITTLE NELL
05-20-2010, 07:28 AM
The kid is not showing any signs of coming out of his slump.
KW should pick up Lowell from Boston (Im sure the Bosox would pick up most of his salary), play him at 3B because Teahen stinks and go with Nix at 2B until Beckham is ready to play in the Majors again.

mzh
05-20-2010, 11:18 AM
And now for something completely different! Complaining about Beckham and Teahen! I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed before.

What good will sending him to AAA do that he couldn't accomplish here?

beasly213
05-20-2010, 11:21 AM
And now for something completely different! Complaining about Beckham and Teahen! I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed before.

What good will sending him to AAA do that he couldn't accomplish here?

Being able to find his swing without the pressure of big league at bats in big league games.

mzh
05-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Being able to find his swing without the pressure of big league at bats in big league games.
I guess thats true. If it's a mental issue, I think that's perfectly fine. It worked wonders for Jose last year. However, if this actually is an issue with his swing mechanics or something, it's something for the coaches up here to fix IMO.

Giv20
05-20-2010, 11:26 AM
I'd put a lawn chair out there before I'd use Nix

sox1970
05-20-2010, 11:29 AM
I think you just let him play through it. It's not like the team is going anywhere. Unless he starts hanging his head and becoming a jerk in the clubhouse (which is unlikely), he's got to come out of it sooner than later. He's too talented to be a .200 hitter for much longer. Plus his defense has been really good. I'd rather not lose that and make the team even worse.

SoxxoS
05-20-2010, 11:44 AM
I would have thought there was no chance of this happening to Beckham - But lets not forget he was just out of college, what, two years ago? He spent very little time in the minors - and isn't the major leagues all about adjustments?

Scouts are a bitch in the majors - they will find our weakness and exploit it...add in little or no confidence, and this adds up to a AAA stint that could do wonders.

And really - CAN IT HURT?

khan
05-20-2010, 11:55 AM
This thread is about a month overdue. YES, I've been in favor of sending Beckham [and Quentin] down.

YES, it COULD help the player to mature and to deal with failure.

YES, it COULD help him work out any mechanical issues.

NO, it CAN'T possibly hurt the SOX, since Beckham and Quentin are hitting so poorly.

WhiteSox1989
05-20-2010, 11:57 AM
I think you just let him play through it. It's not like the team is going anywhere. Unless he starts hanging his head and becoming a jerk in the clubhouse (which is unlikely), he's got to come out of it sooner than later. He's too talented to be a .200 hitter for much longer. Plus his defense has been really good. I'd rather not lose that and make the team even worse.
Agree with this entire post.

khan
05-20-2010, 12:17 PM

They've already tried this approach this entire season, and it has failed miserably. Ozzie will continue to put him in the 2-hole, which will further crappify the lineup. Beckham looks to be suffering through his FIRST period of failure as a baseball player in his entire life, and it looks to be negatively impacting him.

One definition of insanity is to attempt the same thing over and over and over and over again, but to expect different results. At some point, a change has to be made.

There are SIGNIFICANT downside risks to continuing this idiocy of keeping Beckham in Chicago. There is upside potential in letting him work on his hitting away from the spotlight of MLB.

sox1970
05-20-2010, 12:29 PM
They've already tried this approach this entire season, and it has failed miserably. Ozzie will continue to put him in the 2-hole, which will further crappify the lineup. Beckham looks to be suffering through his FIRST period of failure as a baseball player in his entire life, and it looks to be negatively impacting him.

One definition of insanity is to attempt the same thing over and over and over and over again, but to expect different results. At some point, a change has to be made.

There are SIGNIFICANT downside risks to continuing this idiocy of keeping Beckham in Chicago. There is upside potential in letting him work on his hitting away from the spotlight of MLB.

I can't argue with that. I don't think there is one right or wrong way of handling the situation with Beckham. He's hitting 9th now. I guess just keep him there for the rest of the month, and then re-evaluate. I didn't see his walk last night, so I don't know if he missed hittable pitches, but he did drive one deep to right, and the comebacker almost got over the pitcher's head. He may not be that far off.

20 years ago, Robin Ventura was hitting .196 on June 12, and he hit .272 the rest of the way. It's a similar situation with a second year player--and that team was contending. I'd still say Beckham has more upside than Ventura, so I want to see what he can do the rest of the month.

WhiteSoxFTW
05-20-2010, 12:31 PM
I'd put a lawn chair out there before I'd use Nix

Is he really going to swing the bat that much worse than Beckham is currently? I doubt it. Beckham is hitting .185 and Nix is hitting .174 in his limited ABs.

LITTLE NELL
05-20-2010, 01:02 PM

That was my thought when I started this thread.

guillensdisciple
05-20-2010, 01:43 PM
My only though to this is if scouts have examined him and found his weakness, why has the hitting coach done nothing to correct it?

Walker's approach of letting them "get out of it" does not help here.

**** you Walker.

Noneck
05-20-2010, 01:49 PM
I don't know what they should do with this kid. My only thought is, what happens if he is dropped to AAA and does what he has been doing up here?

Paulwny
05-20-2010, 01:50 PM
My only though to this is if scouts have examined him and found his weakness, why has the hitting coach done nothing to correct it?

Walker's approach of letting them "get out of it" does not help here.

**** you Walker.

When your weakness is not recognizing pitches and swinging at bad pitches what's a coach going to teach.
It's not Walker's fault that Quentin, Beckham and The Cuban Fizzle are swing at pitches in the dirt and pitches in their eyes.

soltrain21
05-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Is he really going to swing the bat that much worse than Beckham is currently? I doubt it. Beckham is hitting .185 and Nix is hitting .174 in his limited ABs.

Throw at-bats out the window, I'm tired of watching Nix throw the ball every which way every time he plays.

guillensdisciple
05-20-2010, 02:05 PM
When your weakness is not recognizing pitches and swinging at bad pitches what's a coach going to teach.
It's not Walker's fault that Quentin, Beckham and The Cuban Fizzle are swing at pitches in the dirt and pitches in their eyes.

OBP on Quentin and Beckham is pretty good for players that barely hit the ball. With them, eye sight is not an issue. Quentin is hitting, but making contact in the form of outs. Beckham is either striking out or barely hitting. Also, his strike outs come from high fastballs not ridiculous curves or anything like that.

This is something that can be fixed.

PhillipsBubba
05-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Terrible idea!

What is he going to learn in the minors? This team is going nowhere so let GB stay and hit like we know he can.

Mike Lowell can stay in Boston.

Paulwny
05-20-2010, 02:15 PM
OBP on Quentin and Beckham is pretty good for players that barely hit the ball. With them, eye sight is not an issue. Quentin is hitting, but making contact in the form of outs. Beckham is either striking out or barely hitting. Also, his strike outs come from high fastballs not ridiculous curves or anything like that.

This is something that can be fixed.

Exactly, Beckham is swinging at high fastballs, I'm sure Beckham recognizes this,, he has to stop it, it can't be taught.
Quentin is making contact swinging at bad pitches which lead to easy ground outs or fly outs.
These 2 guys along with The Cuban Fizzle need to relearn the strike zone because they swing at bad pitches which lead to easy outs.
If you no longer recognize pitches or the strike zone, there's nothing a batting coach can teach, since this has nothing to do with mechanics.

jabrch
05-20-2010, 02:26 PM
I have no idea if sending him down will help or not...I do believe this team's best chance of winning is with him in the lineup, having figured it out. So either he figures it out here - or down there...I guess I think he is best able to figure out how to hit big league pitching here - rather than going down to hit AAA pitching which we know he can do.... That said, if he got sent down, I wouldn't be opposed to that either.

khan
05-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Exactly, Beckham is swinging at high fastballs, I'm sure Beckham recognizes this,, he has to stop it, it can't be taught.
Quentin is making contact swinging at bad pitches which lead to easy ground outs or fly outs.

If you no longer recognize pitches or the strike zone, there's nothing a batting coach can teach, since this has nothing to do with mechanics.
Actually, the player has to learn that there are consequences for failure. And if Beckham/Quentin can't stop swinging at garbage, they're hurting themselves AND the team.

Sending them down to AAA can only help the players and the team.

TDog
05-20-2010, 04:40 PM
This thread is about a month overdue. YES, I've been in favor of sending Beckham [and Quentin] down.

YES, it COULD help the player to mature and to deal with failure.

YES, it COULD help him work out any mechanical issues.

NO, it CAN'T possibly hurt the SOX, since Beckham and Quentin are hitting so poorly.

It is the second such thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=120029)started in less than a fortnight (which is but half a month).

No one had any problem last year (a year in which the Sox would have won the division if Rios had played up to his abilities after coming here) with Beckham learning at the major league level, even at a new position. At least the voices of people who believed as much were mostly silent.

Beckham's problems were predictable (at least in as much as I predicted them). They often happen to players after they experience strong rookie seasons. My hope was that Beckham seemed unable to adjust changes in the way pitchers were pitching him after he was placed in the No. 2 spot, a move fervently endorsed by the WSI consensus, would give him a head start in adjusting in his sophomore season.

I don't see the White Sox sending Beckham down unless his play regresses substantially from where it is now. I wouldn't send him down now, and write this as someone who wouldn't have brought him up midseason last year.

khan
05-20-2010, 04:53 PM
It is the second such thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=120029)started in less than a fortnight (which is but half a month).
Indeed. Having said this, Beckham's performance has sucked so much that I've been of the opinion for a month that he should be sent down. A fortnight isn't exactly "half a month" in every case.

No one had any problem last year (a year in which the Sox would have won the division if Rios had played up to his abilities after coming here) with Beckham learning at the major league level, even at a new position. At least the voices of people who believed as much were mostly silent.
I fail to see the connection between a former All Star, who has a history/track record, and a player with fewer than 140 game appearances at the MLB level.

In any case, it is prudent to give the veteran the benefit of the doubt, while giving the [hereto fore] unproven player much less leeway. Do you disagree?

Beckham's problems were predictable (at least in as much as I predicted them). They often happen to players after they experience strong rookie seasons. My hope was that Beckham seemed unable to adjust changes in the way pitchers were pitching him after he was placed in the No. 2 spot, a move fervently endorsed by the WSI consensus, would give him a head start in adjusting in his sophomore season.
Yes. And all of these things are good reasons to send him down, not to continue to put him into a position to fail. [I didn't necessarily "endorse" putting him in the #2 spot. But, since this was a craptacular roster put together by KW/Ozzie, there were scant alternatives for that role.]

I don't see the White Sox sending Beckham down unless his play regresses substantially from where it is now. I wouldn't send him down now, and write this as someone who wouldn't have brought him up midseason last year.
How much more does his game have to regress? In May, he now has 3 times as many Ks as he does hits. He's not even hitting >.100 for the month!

Beckham is a textbook example of a player that should be sent down, regardless of the fanbase's fondness for him. He simply hasn't earned [and more importantly, RE-earned] his roster spot for this season. [NO hyperbole here, but] His bat is now worse than that of many NL pitchers, and possibly, some of the players in the minor leagues. [I DO believe that Retherford could hit < .100 in MLB right now.]

doublem23
05-20-2010, 05:53 PM
The problem is that by sending him to Charlotte, away from our Major League coaches, you expose him back to our minor league coaches. I'm not sure which one is worse.

soltrain21
05-20-2010, 05:55 PM
How much more does his game have to regress? In May, he now has 3 times as many Ks as he does hits. He's not even hitting >.100 for the month!

It's only a matter of days before he is holding his bat the wrong way and standing on home plate.

wassagstdu
05-20-2010, 06:14 PM
The longer he keeps doing whatever he is doing the harder it will be to correct it. Looks to me like it is not an adjustment problem, but a large flaw in his mechanics. I hope it is not the hitter's equivalent of the Saltamacchia problem.

SCCWS
05-20-2010, 06:31 PM
The kid is not showing any signs of coming out of his slump.
KW should pick up Lowell from Boston (Im sure the Bosox would pick up most of his salary), play him at 3B because Teahen stinks and go with Nix at 2B until Beckham is ready to play in the Majors again.

Word in Boston is Lowell cannot play 3rd any more. He may be able to play 1st and obviously DH.

soltrain21
05-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Word in Boston is Lowell cannot play 3rd any more. He may be able to play 1st and obviously DH.

Ozzie says, "watch me."