PDA

View Full Version : Where are the whiners?

DrWatson27
06-19-2002, 09:28 AM
A couple of late inning rallies to win games. I was just wondering where all the people who have been bitching about how the Sox can't win games in late innings are. I guess they have to move onto something else to bitch about.

You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, you can please none of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Soxboyrob
06-19-2002, 09:34 AM
One game won in the late or extra innings doesn't necessarily make the Sox a good late-innings team. They are not and they haven't been. Maybe this will spur them onto bigger and better things, but why were we not up by 3 or 4 runs in that game in the first place? Who's Frank Wolf anyway? By the way, that Wolf Pack group of fans in Philly is a pretty damn cool bunch. What a wild group.

Procol Harum
06-19-2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by DrWatson27
A couple of late inning rallies to win games. I was just wondering where all the people who have been bitching about how the Sox can't win games in late innings are. I guess they have to move onto something else to bitch about.

In that case about 99% of all Sox fans must be whiners--the ineptitude of the Sox' offense in the late innings has been a crusher all year that has been nearly-universally acknowledged as one of the defining characteristics of the 2002 edition of this team. The fact that they managed to eke out a 12 inning victory in a game where they were given--what was it--13 walks (and 9-10 of those in the regulation 9) is little reason to think that a major change has occured. Thankfully, last night the aroma arising off of the Phills was more pungent than that of our Pale Hose. We can only hope that the few sluggish spasms of late inning life that we've seen in the last week means that the Sox are slowly beginning to pull themselves out of their late-inning offensive coma.

CubKilla
06-19-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum

In that case about 99% of all Sox fans must be whiners--the ineptitude of the Sox' offense in the late innings has been a crusher all year that has been nearly-universally acknowledged as one of the defining characteristics of the 2002 edition of this team. The fact that they managed to eke out a 12 inning victory in a game where they were given--what was it--13 walks (and 9-10 of those in the regulation 9) is little reason to think that a major change has occured. Thankfully, last night the aroma arising off of the Phills was more pungent than that of our Pale Hose. We can only hope that the few sluggish spasms of late inning life that we've seen in the last week means that the Sox are slowly beginning to pull themselves out of their late-inning offensive coma.

AMEN BROTHER!!!!! One late inning win does not make the White Sox 2002's come-from-behind team of the year.

LongDistanceFan
06-19-2002, 11:21 AM
in fairness to all, i think the complaint was the sox have not been able to sustain a come from behind win or win close games which are valid points. in addition, some have express that in late innings when the sox were behind, it appears that they gave up. i know all this are perceptions, however you may have to see it from their point of view.

most importantly 1 game does not make up for what has happen, but i see this as a positive to build on.

DrWatson27
06-19-2002, 11:29 AM
I mainly posted this because when I logged on this morning there was only 8 new posts. Normally (read: after a sox loss) I would log on and there would be at least 50 new posts about how the Sox gave up, we should get rid of the entire team and start over. I just found it ironic that after a come from behind win no one was posting looking at the positives of a couple late inning victories of late. Even in response to my post people took more time to put down the play of the sox than look at the positives of the last few games.

LongDistanceFan
06-19-2002, 11:34 AM
I mainly posted this because when I logged on this morning there was only 8 new posts. Normally (read: after a sox loss) I would log on and there would be at least 50 new posts about how the Sox gave up, we should get rid of the entire team and start over. I just found it ironic that after a come from behind win no one was posting looking at the positives of a couple late inning victories of late. Even in response to my post people took more time to put down the play of the sox than look at the positives of the last few games. i don't know the answer to that........ i too was surprise of the lack of posts, but i thought it might been b/c it was late.......... like anything else, i think the sox may have dishearten alot of the sox faithful. this is not good and the sox needs to bring back the hope.............

FanOf14
06-19-2002, 01:01 PM
What's with all the half-naked bimbos as signatures? Sorry, just had to ask. I know I didn't post because I was celebrating with my family for my brother's 21st b-day.

doublem23
06-19-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
What's with all the half-naked bimbos as signatures? Sorry, just had to ask. I know I didn't post because I was celebrating with my family for my brother's 21st b-day.

Oy, do we have to do another one of these "Guys like boobs" threads?

FanOf14
06-19-2002, 01:28 PM
No, it just gets old after awhile that's all. It was just a question so don't get it all in an uproar! BTW - I kinda already knew the answer, just curious what guys would say in return.

Daver
06-19-2002, 01:31 PM
No, it just gets old after awhile that's all. It was just a question so don't get it all in an uproar! BTW - I kinda already knew the answer, just curious what guys would say in return.

You can choose not to display sigs by going to user CP and selecting do not show signature.I had to do that because my kids are around often while I am online.

Dadawg_77
06-19-2002, 01:31 PM
I like the half naked photos, screw the prono sites, I am coming here. :D:

But the reason there are less post after a Sox win is this, there is less to say. It is easy to complain but hard to praise. I can go on a 180 word post about how this team sucks after losing to the Flubs and making the Cuns lineup look good. But what can you say about last night win; it was a good pitched game; the O was lacking but it finally came thru in the 12th;Carlos Lee is taking pitches; Turf sucks.

Another reason for a lack of post is this team lacks something that 2000 team had. In 2000 the Sox could be down 5 runs in the bottom of the ninth, but yet you still had reasonable hope that they would come back and win the game. This year that feeling isn't there, hell in the Sox are down by one in the sixth, my gut says the game is over. Right now this team doesn't have aura of excitement, maybe a four game sweep of the Twins could bring it back. After a loss the frustration of being a Sox fan with a team that had the aura at the start of the season, and thenlost it, comes out in full force. After a win, well not much of a reaction since wins are expected.

voodoochile
06-19-2002, 01:33 PM

You know I wanted to ask if the increase in adolescent male pinup dolls has lead to the decrease in female posters (seems there used to be more). Maybe it has been the struggles of the team, but the more female flesh that gets posted, the less women post here, or at least so it seems...

Oy, do we have to do another one of these "Guys like boobs" threads?

No, but maybe we should be asking the women who do post here if the constant barrage of cleavage gives them a negative impression of the sight and causes them to post less...

Cheryl
06-19-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

No, but maybe we should be asking the women who do post here if the constant barrage of cleavage gives them a negative impression of the sight and causes them to post less...

I have your sigs turned off. I did that a long time ago. I don't really care that you guys are flashing cleavage, I just find sigs annoying.

I also hate that picture of that guy vomiting. That's really disgusting.

KempersRS
06-19-2002, 01:42 PM
What the hell are you guys talking about?

FanOf14
06-19-2002, 01:43 PM
I appreciate you asking and Daver telling me how to change the display - but might skip it for now as I like to see the new sigs my WU - most that I have seen have been awesome!

As to the last question, no it doesn't make me post less at all. For the most part I do ignore it, but being in a shaky mood today (alot of stress at work) I just let myself. Thanks for not jumping on me, it is greatly appreciated.

Anyways - GO SOX and I hope to see PK in the lineup or at least saying "Tag Up! Tag the F' Up!!!" :)

DrWatson27
06-19-2002, 02:01 PM
I didn't want to make anyone upset with my sig pic, my brother sent it to me and I liked it. But until you, and others, mentioned how you felt about it and how women and people with kids might find it distasteful I had to agree. I have 2 kids but both are way to young to get on the computer (ages almost 3 and 1) so I haven't found myself thinking about it too much yet. I do see your point and agree-this is a place for Sox fans to come and chat not check out skin. I have removed the pic from my sig, sorry for any I'll feelings! :)

hold2dibber
06-19-2002, 02:15 PM
I have often wondered what the female posters think of those sigs. Hopefully they don't dissuade women from visiting and posting. The whole issue reminds me of the time, when I was about 16 years old (in the days of yore) and I, like many other red blooded American boys of that age, had a few posters of scantily clad woman touting the virtues of various fermented style malt beverages on my bedroom walls. One day after coming home from school I had found that my Mom had, using construction paper, glue and tape, made some lovely (and not at all revealing) dresses to cover the ladies on the posters virtually from ankle to neck. I thought it was so funny, I left them on there until I got over the "scantily scad women" poster phase (which was about 12 years later). :D:

cheeses_h_rice
06-19-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

I also hate that picture of that guy vomiting. That's really disgusting.

Heh. But, you have to admit, it's veeeery effective at conveying our dismay at some of the moves the Sox make, isn't it?

Cheryl
06-19-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Heh. But, you have to admit, it's veeeery effective at conveying our dismay at some of the moves the Sox make, isn't it?

I've used it. Just because it's appropriate doesn't mean it's not disgusting.

hold2dibber
06-19-2002, 04:26 PM

It sure is -- that picture truly is worth 1,000 words (or more)!

FarWestChicago
06-19-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

I've used it. Just because it's appropriate doesn't mean it's not disgusting. Thank you, Cheryl. I did select that one from quite a few hurling images I found. There is just something about it... :D:

Cheryl
06-19-2002, 05:01 PM
Amazing. We went from discussing why people don't post after a win to the relative merits of photos of vomit.

I love this place.

cheeses_h_rice
06-19-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Thank you, Cheryl. I did select that one from quite a few hurling images I found. There is just something about it... :D:

Where does one go to "find" images of hurling, that's what I'd like to know!

:)

Cheryl
06-19-2002, 06:52 PM

Where does one go to "find" images of hurling, that's what I'd like to know!

:)

http://images.google.com/images?q=vomit&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

hold2dibber
06-19-2002, 06:56 PM
I mainly posted this because when I logged on this morning there was only 8 new posts. Normally (read: after a sox loss) I would log on and there would be at least 50 new posts about how the Sox gave up, we should get rid of the entire team and start over. I just found it ironic that after a come from behind win no one was posting looking at the positives of a couple late inning victories of late. Even in response to my post people took more time to put down the play of the sox than look at the positives of the last few games.

I don't think it is surprising that there are more posts when the Sox lose than when they win. For one thing, fans tend to care a lot less about "why" the team won than about "why" they lost. If the Sox win 15-1, 15-14 or 1-0, I don't really care, as long as they win. So I don't have a lot of "critique," other than "Whoo hoo, we won!!!" which doesn't make for the best post. But when the Sox lose, you can usually point to one or two or three things (Clayton always being one of them ) that brought about the loss and it is human nature to want to vent about them, and to want to analyze and try to figure out ways to make the team better. Plus, being a Sox fan means, to a large extent, subjecting yourself to lots of suffering and misery, which generally makes for grouchy fans and grouchy fans make grouchy posts after losses. It would be a lot easier to not vent and take losses in stride if you were a Yankees fan and knew that they were going to be a contender regardless, or even if you were, for example, a Marlins fan who knows what it feels like to win it all. I think one of the valuable services that WSI provides is a forum to rant and rave like a lunatic after (yet another) heart-wrenching loss. Accept it for what it is, and don't get too caught up in it.

LongDistanceFan
06-19-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

I don't think it is surprising that there are more posts when the Sox lose than when they win. For one thing, fans tend to care a lot less about "why" the team won than about "why" they lost. If the Sox win 15-1, 15-14 or 1-0, I don't really care, as long as they win. So I don't have a lot of "critique," other than "Whoo hoo, we won!!!" which doesn't make for the best post. But when the Sox lose, you can usually point to one or two or three things (Clayton always being one of them ) that brought about the loss and it is human nature to want to vent about them, and to want to analyze and try to figure out ways to make the team better. Plus, being a Sox fan means, to a large extent, subjecting yourself to lots of suffering and misery, which generally makes for grouchy fans and grouchy fans make grouchy posts after losses. It would be a lot easier to not vent and take losses in stride if you were a Yankees fan and knew that they were going to be a contender regardless, or even if you were, for example, a Marlins fan who knows what it feels like to win it all. I think one of the valuable services that WSI provides is a forum to rant and rave like a lunatic after (yet another) heart-wrenching loss. Accept it for what it is, and don't get too caught up in it. good point and good post

FanOf14
06-19-2002, 07:46 PM
DrWatson - I really didn't want anyone to change their sig, I was just kinda curious what would be said/how guys would react to that question. I know how my bf reacts when I ask a similar question while we are watching TV and there are a parade of them in each commercial.

I just turned sigs off. This is a free country and both worlds can enjoy this website (Thanks daver!!!! :D: :) :D: ) so now that my question is answered, I am back onto WHITE SOX!!!!!!!!!!

I hope PK is back in the lineup, but if he isn't and there is a man on third I hope a camera man gets another shot of him saying "Tag UP! Tag the F' up!" It's great to see the guys getting into the game again!

Daver
06-19-2002, 08:15 PM
DrWatson - I really didn't want anyone to change their sig, I was just kinda curious what would be said/how guys would react to that question. I know how my bf reacts when I ask a similar question while we are watching TV and there are a parade of them in each commercial.

I just turned sigs off. This is a free country and both worlds can enjoy this website (Thanks daver!!!! :D: :) :D: ) so now that my question is answered, I am back onto WHITE SOX!!!!!!!!!!

Your quite welcome. :redneck