PDA

View Full Version : True Fandom

october23sp
05-19-2010, 10:43 PM
A lot of people seem to think that knowing a team is bad or "sticking a fork in them" is a sign of a "Fair Weather Fan." Not only do I believe this not to be true, I think the people that still stick around are the true fans even though they stick.

We are the true and smart fans, the fans that know this team sucks are the fans playing armchair manager of what should happen next. It's part of being a fan of a team. A true fan isn't someone who blindly says, "Our team rocks! Whoo!" A true fan is thinking "what could make this team better?"

We know the team stinks and that does not make us any less of fans, we are still posting on White Sox Interactive. This team made us friends and it gave us experience the joy of a World Series title. Those wins wouldn't be nearly as sweet without these losses.

I don't know about you but I'll root root root for the White Sox, even though they have proven to be hot garbage this year. Hopefully, they turn things around though.

JB98
05-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Oh, yeah. Still watching and cheering for the team. I just do so with the understanding that this is a .400 club at this point.

thomas35forever
05-19-2010, 10:46 PM
I still plan on going to at least one game this year despite high ticket prices.

GoGoCrede
05-19-2010, 10:50 PM
I really hate when people question my fandom because I became a fan very recently or because I'm from out of state, or whatever. So I'm not interested in questioning others' fan rating or calling someone else a fair weather fan.

I see this around all kinds of sports fandoms, especially franchises that have only recently become successful (like the Rays). People are quick to put the "fair weather" or "bandwagon" label on others. It annoys me to end, because most of the time, the people doing the labeling are just trying to lord it over others because they've been a fan their whole lives. Big deal. :rolleyes:

Brian26
05-19-2010, 10:51 PM
I watched the entire game tonight, but I knew the ending before I saw it happen.

Dub25
05-19-2010, 10:52 PM
I know they suck and will not do anything this year. But I will still watch every night like I did tonight. Even when Torii hit the HR to put the Angels up, I knew it was over but I watched because I love the Sox, I love baseball, I love baseball even more when it is a nice evening like tonight, and you never know.

october23sp
05-19-2010, 10:55 PM
I really hate when people question my fandom because I became a fan very recently or because I'm from out of state, or whatever. So I'm not interested in questioning others' fan rating or calling someone else a fair weather fan.

I see this around all kinds of sports fandoms, especially franchises that have only recently become successful (like the Rays). People are quick to put the "fair weather" or "bandwagon" label on others. It annoys me to end, because most of the time, the people doing the labeling are just trying to lord it over others because they've been a fan their whole lives. Big deal. :rolleyes:

Exactly, WSI is pretty good about it though, when I first came here I saw the "join date" and I thought anyone after 2005 would be made fun of and called a bandwagoner but it's been really nice, I've been a fan since I was really little and I was like 14 when they won the series and I didn't know about WSI.

My dad started liking them and following them because of me in 2006 because we bought extra innings and now we can have long baseball discussions about them. (He wasn't a baseball fan growing up but now he is) and I would never call him a bandwagoner. He watches almost every game beginning to end.

Rockabilly
05-19-2010, 10:56 PM
I have the full season ticket package. I will be at about 65 games this year even though, I gave up on this team earlier this month.

BadBobbyJenks
05-19-2010, 10:57 PM
I watch baseball for enjoyment and entertainment. This team brings very little of that to the table.

GoGoCrede
05-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Exactly, WSI is pretty good about it though, when I first came here I saw the "join date" and I thought anyone after 2005 would be made fun of and called a bandwagoner but it's been really nice, I've been a fan since I was really little and I was like 14 when they won the series and I didn't know about WSI.

My dad started liking them and following them because of me in 2006 because we bought extra innings and now we can have long baseball discussions about them. (He wasn't a baseball fan growing up but now he is) and I would never call him a bandwagoner. He watches almost every game beginning to end.

It's the quality of the years, not quantity. :smile: I believe that. I would never think people like you or me are "fair weather." (Although by all rights I should have become a Cubs fan, since most kids who come to Chicago for college do. I didn't. :smile:).

october23sp
05-19-2010, 10:59 PM
(Although by all rights I should have become a Cubs fan, since most kids who come to Chicago for college do. I didn't. :smile:).

Thank God.

GoGoCrede
05-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Thank God.

Nope, thank my freshman year roommate who is now one of my good friends. She grew up a Sox fan and refused to let me cross over to the other side. Now I pay more attention to the team than she does. :smile: She created a monster.

Dub25
05-19-2010, 11:01 PM
I watch baseball for enjoyment and entertainment. This team brings very little of that to the table.

I agree. Nothing beats warm weather and a baseball game. Oh yeah, add a frosty one to that. :gulp:

tacosalbarojas
05-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Although I don't lord my life long fandom over newbies, I do think that longevity is worth a little extra in certain ways...the extra years of suffering have to be worth something.

GoGoCrede
05-19-2010, 11:06 PM
Although I don't lord my life long fandom over newbies, I do think that longevity is worth a little extra in certain ways...the extra years of suffering have to be worth something.

I agree that a World Series win would mean more to someone who's been a fan for decades. However, I had been a fan for several years before the Blackout game, and it really cemented my love for this team because I was able to be there in person. I imagine it did the same for others like me.

october23sp
05-19-2010, 11:17 PM

Yes, being a longtime fan is great, and awesome, I've been a fan for 11 years and been alive for 18. Obviously I didn't watch every game when I was little, but I loved Frank Thomas and my Sox hat.

Lip Man 1
05-19-2010, 11:25 PM
My definition of "true fandom" is having the courage to not accept blindly anything the organization says or does. To be able to look objectively at what is going on as much as possible given the limited knowledge that you have and to not accept mediocrity / losing.

Lip

Dub25
05-19-2010, 11:28 PM
My definition of "true fandom" is having the courage to not accept blindly anything the organization says or does. To be able to look objectively at what is going on as much as possible given the limited knowledge that you have and to not accept mediocrity / losing.

Lip

I love this post.

Noneck
05-19-2010, 11:29 PM

Lip

Amazing how you put into words exactly what was on my mind.

Dub25
05-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Amazing how you put into words exactly what was on my mind.

Lip knows what he is talking about.

Noneck
05-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Lip knows what he is talking about.

Believe me, I know that.

Parrothead
05-19-2010, 11:38 PM
A lot of people seem to think that knowing a team is bad or "sticking a fork in them" is a sign of a "Fair Weather Fan." Not only do I believe this not to be true, I think the people that still stick around are the true fans even though they stick.

We are the true and smart fans, the fans that know this team sucks are the fans playing armchair manager of what should happen next. It's part of being a fan of a team. A true fan isn't someone who blindly says, "Our team rocks! Whoo!" A true fan is thinking "what could make this team better?"

Who cares about who are the "True Fans". Everybody's money is green. Get a better team.

voodoochile
05-20-2010, 12:04 AM
If you post at WSI, you're a true fan of the Sox. Yes, even Fenway...

Edit: I suppose there are a few fans of opposing teams who don't qualify for that statement, but 99%+ would...

pudge
05-20-2010, 01:33 AM
If you post at WSI, you're a true fan of the Sox. Yes, even Fenway...

Edit: I suppose there are a few fans of opposing teams who don't qualify for that statement, but 99%+ would...

This thread is awesome, I thought it was going to diverge into a war...

Great point by voodoo, if you're bothering to be HERE, you're a great fan.

I used to be able to watch lousy seasons, but I tune out earlier and earlier - I've earned my stripes watching 140+ games during lackluster season after lackluster season, but can't really do that anymore, it fails to be interesting or fun, at least one of which I require of my entertainment. The older I get, the less I can tolerate watching a poor team.

voodoochile
05-20-2010, 01:40 AM
This thread is awesome, I thought it was going to diverge into a war...

Great point by voodoo, if you're bothering to be HERE, you're a great fan.

I used to be able to watch lousy seasons, but I tune out earlier and earlier - I've earned my stripes watching 140+ games during lackluster season after lackluster season, but can't really do that anymore, it fails to be interesting or fun, at least one of which I require of my entertainment. The older I get, the less I can tolerate watching a poor team.

For me it's more about prioities. When I was younger sports meant a lot more to me, but as I've gotten older, I've come to accept they are just an entertainment choice. When I'm not doing anything else, I'll always watch the game and if the season is exciting with the potential of postseason baseball, I'll even prioritize watching the games but I've got other things to do especially since I recently moved so if I miss some game action, meh.

I don't think having a negative view or a positive view makes one a better fan. I can understand both sides of the equation, but I could never view the world like some of the more negative fans on these forums. Doesn't mean I think they're bad fans, it just doesn't work for me and yeah, as someone who views the team the other way, it gets on my nerves and pisses me off, but I assume I do the same to them, so I don't over think it.

That's the reason Baskin Robins has 31 DIFFERENT flavors...

jabrch
05-20-2010, 01:42 AM

Lip

Lip, I am unsurprised that your definition of a true fan is so focused on management.

Everyone is their own type of fan. Nobody can define anyone else's fandom. That said, everyone has a right to an opinion about it - but it is just that - their opinion.

jabrch
05-20-2010, 01:43 AM
For me it's more about prioities. When I was younger sports meant a lot more to me, but as I've gotten older, I've come to accept they are just an entertainment choice. When I'm not doing anything else, I'll always watch the game and if the season is exciting with the potential of postseason baseball, I'll even prioritize watching the games but I've got other things to do especially since I recently moved so if I miss some game action, meh.

I don't think having a negative view or a positive view makes one a better fan. I can understand both sides of the equation, but I could never view the world like some of the more negative fans on these forums. Doesn't mean I think they're bad fans, it just doesn't work for me and yeah, as someone who views the team the other way, it gets on my nerves and pisses me off, but I assume I do the same to them, so I don't over think it.

Well said Voo

g0g0
05-20-2010, 07:32 AM
I joined WSI because I had never done the sports forums thing and wanted to try it out. I love the banter on here! Sometimes I'm like "WTH" and other times I'm "Ya, that makes more sense now." It's nice to see other fan's perspectives even if I don't always agree with them (sometimes it's changes my thinking on a topic too!). We have a lot of knowledgeable fans who are a part of this community.

October26
05-20-2010, 07:35 AM
Nope, thank my freshman year roommate who is now one of my good friends. She grew up a Sox fan and refused to let me cross over to the other side. Now I pay more attention to the team than she does. :smile: She created a monster.

HOORAY for MONSTERS! So glad your roommate made you a "Soxsider." Am looking forward to hanging out with you in the chat room somtime soon (I've been a little swamped lately). We sure had fun last year in the chat room. :smile:

asindc
05-20-2010, 08:12 AM
I agree that a World Series win would mean more to someone who's been a fan for decades. However, I had been a fan for several years before the Blackout game, and it really cemented my love for this team because I was able to be there in person. I imagine it did the same for others like me.

I recently converted a friend of mine who teaches in Philly. She now wears her Sox cap around town and bravely trades barbs with Phillies fans.

A fan is a fan is a fan. Doesn't matter if he can't name the starting rotation for the 1993 team, or became a fan because his/her friend extended the privilege through a shared experience.

About the "positive vs. negative" views of the current state of the team, for lack of a better way of putting it. It goes both ways.

SI1020
05-20-2010, 08:30 AM

I see this around all kinds of sports fandoms, especially franchises that have only recently become successful (like the Rays). People are quick to put the "fair weather" or "bandwagon" label on others. It annoys me to end, because most of the time, the people doing the labeling are just trying to lord it over others because they've been a fan their whole lives. Big deal. :rolleyes: I've been a fan since way before you were born. I would never lord my fandom over you and anyone else that has chosen the Sox more recently for whatever reason. Even as a kid I noticed a difference in the fan bases of the respective baseball teams in Chicago. To me Sox fans on the whole were both more passionate and more realistic. In 05, after decades in the baseball wilderness the unthinkable happened. Now to some, JR, KW and Ozzie are baseball demigods who we have to bow down to forever. Or else you're not a real fan. Times change. Please let my add that I no way am calling you out or feel that you were singling me or any other individual older Sox fan on this site. You're smart and articulate and I hope you stick around. I, like you, just felt the need to vent. The Sox need as many younger fans as they can get, regardless of where they were born and raised. My parents came from Pennsylvania.

Lip Man 1
05-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Jab:

As we've discussed in the past and you're right to each his own, to me the "game,", the "weather", the "beer" (for examples) means very, very little.

What matters is winning.

I can get all the sun I want (well not today :tongue:) without paying what fans are having to pay today to see garbage. I can get beet a lot cheaper than I could at the game. As far as the game itself I've got plenty of tapes of the Sox from good seasons that can supply a baseball fix.

Lip

soxlady8
05-20-2010, 07:20 PM
This season stinks so far. However, I still love this team.

Great Thread!

jabrch
05-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Jab:

As we've discussed in the past and you're right to each his own, to me the "game,", the "weather", the "beer" (for examples) means very, very little.

What matters is winning.

I can get all the sun I want (well not today :tongue:) without paying what fans are having to pay today to see garbage. I can get beet a lot cheaper than I could at the game. As far as the game itself I've got plenty of tapes of the Sox from good seasons that can supply a baseball fix.

Lip

Honestly, I don't personally enjoy watching games when I know the outcome. That's not the same to me. (to each their own)

And clearly it isn't about the environment for you...or the money...since you hardly attend games ever - and spend very little money.

I dont care for the stuff you talk about either. I go in cold, rain, etc. Since I drive most of the time, I don't drink - not more than a beer or two for flavor...For me, I enjoy the part of the game where I cheer for an undetermined outcome, and it has a chance of going my way....

spawn
05-20-2010, 07:53 PM

:thumbsup:

Daver
05-20-2010, 08:04 PM

Suffering from what?

Remember, being a White Sox fan frees a man from any other penance.

SephClone89
05-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Suffering from what?

Remember, being a White Sox fan frees a man from any other penance.

But the Cubs and Red Sox have a monopoly on baseball suffering.

Lip Man 1
05-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Jab:

Just making sure you understand, I live in Idaho. It's pretty hard to get back to Chicago on a regular basis, it's a little thing called money although I have seen the Sox in Seattle, Oakland and Texas.

I will be back in town probably in mid/late July assuming my back injury heals. I'll check out a game or two...I'm sure seats will be plentiful at very reasonable prices.

My comment about beer, weather etc was based on my perception of your opinions that the game itself is what matters as well as the surrounding things that are connected with baseball. With me that's all secondary, I've been to Sox opening days where it snowed and so on when I was younger...now only one thing matters...winning.

To each his own.

Lip

jabrch
05-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Jab:

Just making sure you understand, I live in Idaho. It's pretty hard to get back to Chicago on a regular basis, it's a little thing called money although I have seen the Sox in Seattle, Oakland and Texas.

I will be back in town probably in mid/late July assuming my back injury heals. I'll check out a game or two...I'm sure seats will be plentiful at very reasonable prices.

My comment about beer, weather etc was based on my perception of your opinions that the game itself is what matters as well as the surrounding things that are connected with baseball. With me that's all secondary, I've been to Sox opening days where it snowed and so on when I was younger...now only one thing matters...winning.

To each his own.

Lip

I have never said I enjoy beer, weather, etc. I said I love going to games.

And I get the reason why you don't go to too many games. I'll still go to as many as I can given work, my kids and trying to keep my golf game healthy...Behind those three, Sox baseball is my next biggest hobby.