PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances that Ozzie....

VMSNS
05-19-2010, 01:14 AM
Today, I was over at my girlfriend's parents house for a family party. Her uncle, a die-hard Sox fan since the 50's, started talking to me about the Sox and their dismal season thus far. We started talking about Ozzie and the coaching staff, and he brought up something that I hadn't even considered...

What are the chances that Ozzie leaves for Atlanta next season after Bobby Cox retires? Her uncle seemed to think that this a very real possibility. As I thought about it, it makes a bit of sense. It seems that quite a good number of fans are upset with Ozzie (KW's recent comments about changing staff instead of players seem to indicate that he's open for change), Atlanta is a NL team (Ozzie seems to like that style of play), and Bobby Cox was one of Ozzie's biggest mentors. I realize that Ozzie still has a few years left on his contract, but is it possible that the Sox "suggest" that Ozzie go after other managerial positions this offseason, one of them being Atlanta? Isn't this something the Sox did with Torborg in the early 90's?

This isn't a "Fire Ozzie" thread. I was just wondering what other's thoughts were about Ozzie taking a position in Atlanta.

Slappy
05-19-2010, 01:36 AM
Your theories make sense, although no one can tell what will happen. I wouldn't be sad to see him go, especially if it brings in someone with a better grasp of the game than Ozzie. He'd be closer to his boat in Miami, too.

CLR01
05-19-2010, 01:50 AM
We can only hope.

Rohan
05-19-2010, 01:59 AM
Seems like it the theory doesn't have a whole lot backing it. I think that there are several organizations that would gladly take Ozzie Guillen as manager.

soxfanreggie
05-19-2010, 09:31 AM
If Jerry Manuel can get a job managing again, I think Ozzie could. Like any pro sport, baseball managers get recycled all the time. Throw in one with a championship and some other playoff berth and he's likely to (at least) get another chance or two. He may have to serve a little bit of time as a bench coach or "retire" for a year, but he'll get a shot. It took Jim Riggleman 9 years (and a couple managers getting fired) after his debacle with the Cubs, but he got back into the top chair.

soxfanatlanta
05-19-2010, 09:48 AM
I have not read anything linking OG to succeed Bobby Cox at all down here. I did hear Jose Okendo, and Terry Pendleton were "logical" candidates, but that's just conjecture at this point.

I don't see OG going to Atlanta, but I've been wrong so many times before.

pythons007
05-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Could we trade Ozzie and Quentin for Jason Heyward and Tommy Hanson?

asindc
05-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Could we trade Ozzie and Quentin for Jason Heyward and Tommy Hanson?

As much as I like Ozzie and Quentin, I would do that trade in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, Atlanta's GM would not do that trade even in a drunken state.

GAsoxfan
05-19-2010, 11:59 AM
I don't see the Braves pursuing Guillen. The Braves culture is very low-drama, and I don't think Braves management would put up with Ozzie's "eccentricities".

downstairs
05-19-2010, 01:24 PM
I don't see the Braves pursuing Guillen. The Braves culture is very low-drama, and I don't think Braves management would put up with Ozzie's "eccentricities".

Since you live there, you know more than me... but I could see that. Cox is very low drama. I know he has the record for most times being tossed, but he doesn't come with the other "baggage" Ozzie comes with.

We often love the baggage up here, but every system is different.

Lip Man 1
05-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Anything is possible but I just don't see this as a match. If Ozzie were to leave the Sox regardless of circumstances I think the Marlins would be his first choice myself.

Lip

Domeshot17
05-19-2010, 01:37 PM
It is tough to say for sure. Ozzie has some great qualities as a manager, but he is pretty toxic at times. ESPN just did another player survey of mlb players, and I believe all 30 teams were represented, and Ozzie was voted, again, the manager you would least want to play for (was in this month's ESPN the Magazine). I think that has an effect on both players and ownership as well.

Hitmen77
05-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Today, I was over at my girlfriend's parents house for a family party. Her uncle, a die-hard Sox fan since the 50's, started talking to me about the Sox and their dismal season thus far. We started talking about Ozzie and the coaching staff, and he brought up something that I hadn't even considered...

What are the chances that Ozzie leaves for Atlanta next season after Bobby Cox retires? Her uncle seemed to think that this a very real possibility. As I thought about it, it makes a bit of sense. It seems that quite a good number of fans are upset with Ozzie (KW's recent comments about changing staff instead of players seem to indicate that he's open for change), Atlanta is a NL team (Ozzie seems to like that style of play), and Bobby Cox was one of Ozzie's biggest mentors. I realize that Ozzie still has a few years left on his contract, but is it possible that the Sox "suggest" that Ozzie go after other managerial positions this offseason, one of them being Atlanta? Isn't this something the Sox did with Torborg in the early 90's?

This isn't a "Fire Ozzie" thread. I was just wondering what other's thoughts were about Ozzie taking a position in Atlanta.

I have to really wonder whether Atlanta would want him.

He brings the "baggage" others have referred to on this thread and plus his team has been underachieving for 4 years now.

pythons007
05-19-2010, 03:08 PM
It is tough to say for sure. Ozzie has some great qualities as a manager, but he is pretty toxic at times. ESPN just did another player survey of mlb players, and I believe all 30 teams were represented, and Ozzie was voted, again, the manager you would least want to play for (was in this month's ESPN the Magazine). I think that has an effect on both players and ownership as well.

I don't see how this survey can show any actual relevence? He's only coached so many players while with the White Sox, unless Swisher's vote is counted as 400.

BringBackBlkJack
05-19-2010, 03:18 PM
As much as I would love the opportunity to see my all-time favorite player manage in person several times a year, I can't see KW firing Ozzie after this season, or the Braves hiring him. I actually don't see Ozzie managing after his time with the White Sox ends... I think he would call it quits.

WhiteSox5187
05-19-2010, 04:37 PM

Every player (with the exception of Swisher and Javy) who has left the Sox spoke very highly of him. Dotel this year said "I only wish Ozzie were managing here," and Junior spoke very highly of him and how he kept that clubhouse alive.

WSox597
05-19-2010, 06:22 PM
I've never been one of Guillen's fans, that's no secret. With that said however, most of his players do seem to like him.

Even Rob Mackowiak, with all that he went through, is supposed to like Guillen.

Go figure. If anybody would want to get away from him, you'd think it would have been Mack.

I'd like to see Guillen go away, and take his "baggage" with him. I'd also like to see an actual name manager this time, no more "Who?" when the next manager is named.

mzh
05-19-2010, 06:25 PM
I've never been one of Guillen's fans, that's no secret. With that said however, most of his players do seem to like him.

Even Rob Mackowiak, with all that he went through, is supposed to like Guillen.

Go figure. If anybody would want to get away from him, you'd think it would have been Mack.

I'd like to see Guillen go away, and take his "baggage" with him. I'd also like to see an actual name manager this time, no more "Who?" when the next manager is named.
So when Ozzie was hired where there threads asking who he was? I suppose this board has only been around since 2001...

Lip Man 1
05-19-2010, 10:15 PM
MZH:

I think WSox 597 may be talking about a manager with experience as opposed to someone learning on the job.

It's been 20 years since the Sox had someone who managed previously at the MLB level, Jeff Torborg...Lamont, Bevington, Manuel and Ozzie did not have any.

That's just a guess on my part however with his comment.

Lip

soxinem1
05-19-2010, 11:07 PM
MZH:

I think WSox 597 may be talking about a manager with experience as opposed to someone learning on the job.

It's been 20 years since the Sox had someone who managed previously at the MLB level, Jeff Torborg...Lamont, Bevington, Manuel and Ozzie did not have any.

That's just a guess on my part however with his comment.

Lip

That is true, but all of them, especially Lamont and Manuel, had a lot more coaching experience than Guillen did, and Bevington was a manager in the minors.

Gene Lamont was a finalist for a few managerial jobs before he came here.

october23sp
05-19-2010, 11:07 PM
No chance, I don't see him managing again when he is done with the Sox.