PDA

View Full Version : Beckham to sit

kaufsox
05-17-2010, 04:34 PM
According to Joe Cowley Twitter Feed: "Plan with Beckham is to sit him both games in Detroit, get back to Chicago and move forward. No plan to demote him."

Sounds good, especially after catching some of GB's segment on the Dan McNeil show. He just sounded down, for lack of of a better word. Two days off might just help get him loose.

soltrain21
05-17-2010, 04:36 PM
It really suck if he turns out to be a bust.

Coops4Aces
05-17-2010, 04:44 PM

It would also suck if I gained 50 pounds in the next week.

soltrain21
05-17-2010, 04:46 PM
It would also suck if I gained 50 pounds in the next week.

Not if you are a polar bear.

Slappy
05-17-2010, 04:46 PM
I don't know your current diet, but that seems more impossible than Omar going 5/5 with 2 stolen bases and a grand-slam tonight.

hi im skot
05-17-2010, 04:49 PM
I don't know your current diet, but that seems more impossible than Omar going 5/5 with 2 stolen bases and a grand-slam tonight.

Sounds like a challenge. Coops, are you in?

Slappy
05-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Don't bother. Omar just texted me - He said he's out.

A. Cavatica
05-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Kid needs a new hitting coach.

Daver
05-17-2010, 07:12 PM

It would really suck to see the White Sox waste another first round draft choice by rushing him onto the MLB roster.

soltrain21
05-17-2010, 07:35 PM
It would really suck to see the White Sox waste another first round draft choice by rushing him onto the MLB roster.

But that already...oh!

veeter
05-17-2010, 07:47 PM
It really suck if he turns out to be a bust.Against KC, Big Frank said something that I totally agree with: Beckham has great hands through the zone. And that you can't teach that. He's right, Beckham is special. He showed it last year and in flashes this year. The Sox have no plate dicipline at all. They have talent, which is why they all hit to some degree, eventually. But as a team they don't comprehend the strike zone, or how to hit situationally. I guess I'm saying Beckham is in a bad situation.

05-17-2010, 07:58 PM

Your act is never old. It's beyond comical. Keep 'em coming.

kaufsox
05-17-2010, 11:02 PM

Wasn't he a ROY in some parts last year? How could he play well last year and be considered rushed this year? He played well last year and now the league has adjusted to him. If he's talented he'll adjust and be ok. If he doesn't or isn't capable, then he's a bust; happens all the time, not just to the Sox.

doublem23
05-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Your act is never old. It's beyond comical. Keep 'em coming.

It's not really an act when he's speaking the truth. It's no secret our amateur scouting and minor league development might be the absolute worst in the league during KW's run. I would say the majority of Sox fans expect our home grown prospects to fail. Beckham was supposed to be the guy that bucked that trend, but this prolonged slump is very troubling.

Our last 10 1st Round Picks:

2009 - Jared Mitchell, Josh Phegley
2008 - Bacon
2007 - Aaron Poreda
2006 - Kyle McCullough
2005 - Lance Broadway
2004 - Josh Fields, Tyler Lumsden, Gio Gonzalez
2003 - Brian Anderson
2002 - Royce Ring
2001 - Kris Honel, Wyatt Allen
2000 - Joe Borchard

14 picks. 2 are currently on MLB rosters. That's beyond pathetic.

doublem23
05-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Wasn't he a ROY in some parts last year? How could he play well last year and be considered rushed this year? He played well last year and now the league has adjusted to him. If he's talented he'll adjust and be ok. If he doesn't or isn't capable, then he's a bust; happens all the time, not just to the Sox.

There's a reason even talented guys need to be seasoned in the minors. This is still very much a mental game, all the physical tools in the world won't help you (just look at the illustrious career of Michael Jordan). I'm not saying Bacon is a bust, and I'm not saying that he wasn't destined to be a bust. It's becoming pretty evident, however, that the Sox cannot develop minor league talent or scout amateur players... Or something. Our farm system is beyond horrendous. KW's been GM for a decade now, and we've produced whom, exactly? Garland? Rowand? Beckham? That's about it. Nothing else but wasted picks on either bad, or poorly developed, talent.

harwar
05-18-2010, 07:00 AM
it wasn't really that long ago when it was routine to keep guys down there for a minimum of 2 or 3 years to learn their craft .. sometimes more .. you would see them late in the season here and there .. everyone is in such a hurry now .. you could see Beckham's talent when he came up, but over the winter he was crowned a superstar by the media and i could see him being caught up in that .. he looks tense and confused most at bats and at times i think that he may he fold under the tremendous pressure .. i'm hoping that he will stop trying to adjust and just relax and let his natural abilities take over .. it's to the point that they can get him out with only fastballs ..

Daver
05-18-2010, 07:15 PM
There's a reason even talented guys need to be seasoned in the minors. This is still very much a mental game, all the physical tools in the world won't help you (just look at the illustrious career of Michael Jordan). I'm not saying Bacon is a bust, and I'm not saying that he wasn't destined to be a bust. It's becoming pretty evident, however, that the Sox cannot develop minor league talent or scout amateur players... Or something. Our farm system is beyond horrendous. KW's been GM for a decade now, and we've produced whom, exactly? Garland? Rowand? Beckham? That's about it. Nothing else but wasted picks on either bad, or poorly developed, talent.
Garland was developed by the Cubs.

sox1970
05-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Garland was developed by the Cubs.

Garland pitched a lot more with the Sox minor league system than he did the Cubs- 26 starts for the Cubs. 53 for the Sox.

05-18-2010, 08:55 PM
It's not really an act when he's speaking the truth. It's no secret our amateur scouting and minor league development might be the absolute worst in the league during KW's run. I would say the majority of Sox fans expect our home grown prospects to fail. Beckham was supposed to be the guy that bucked that trend, but this prolonged slump is very troubling.

2008 - Bacon
2007 - Aaron Poreda
2006 - Kyle McCullough
2005 - Lance Broadway
2003 - Brian Anderson
2002 - Royce Ring
2000 - Joe Borchard

How many of those busts can be attributed to the scouting department. I mean, seriously, Kyle McCullough? Lance Broadway? This whole concept of being "rushed" is hilarious.

Daver
05-18-2010, 10:00 PM
How many of those busts can be attributed to the scouting department.

Every single one of them.

05-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Every single one of them.

Exactly.

Johnny Mostil
05-18-2010, 10:30 PM

2008 - Bacon
2007 - Aaron Poreda
2006 - Kyle McCullough
2005 - Lance Broadway
2003 - Brian Anderson
2002 - Royce Ring
2000 - Joe Borchard

How does this record of first-round picks compare to that of other teams? I honestly don't know but am curious.

palehozenychicty
05-18-2010, 10:38 PM
I think he just needs time. They counted too much on this guy for today, when he should be the future.

Nellie_Fox
05-19-2010, 12:18 AM
it wasn't really that long ago when it was routine to keep guys down there for a minimum of 2 or 3 years to learn their craft .. sometimes more ..To be fair, that was a time when very few MLB players came out of college ball. They were signed out of high school and sent to the minors to mature.

guillensdisciple
05-19-2010, 12:51 AM
If we ruined him, I am going to be pissed.

asindc
05-19-2010, 08:26 AM
To be fair, that was a time when very few MLB players came out of college ball. They were signed out of high school and sent to the minors to mature.

I think this is a key point. Traditionally, players joined right out of HS at the age of 17 or 18. Much of went on in the minors centered around making sure the player matured, not just physically, but also mentally. A college player needs less of that, of course, but adjustments still need to be made as the MLB game is played at a faster speed, it does not use alumimun bats, the season is much longer, etc. A lot of good players have struggled after getting off to a good start, so I am not alarmed. Overall, I like what I see in him and expect him to make the necessary adjustments.