PDA

View Full Version : When JM is compelled to bat Clayton 7th...

Tragg
06-18-2002, 11:42 PM
in the lineup (and I am not blaming him for doing so - he had no choice), it really demonstrates how thin we are at positional major league talent.

We have 2 marque players - Konerko and Ordonez

2 productive veterans - frank and lofton, the latter is absolutely CRITICAL to this team, and I await KW's plans to find another leadoff hitter like him.

2 enigmas - ray and carlos

And then really a bunch of oddball leftovers.

I don't know what is up with Jeff Liefer - he can't hit a lick - that grounder to the pitcher when we needed a fly ball was sad - a fly is something he really should be able to deliver.

Our O has consisted largely of walks the last 2 games - that's okay - the ability to take a walk is a definite skill. Let's hope it's contagioius.

But, we'll have to do this with pitching.
And while our starting pitching is probably as thin, if not thinner, than our positional talent, our pen is DEEEEEEEP. Foulke, Howry, Osuna, Wunsch are all veterans and are all well above average when their minds are in the game. And Marte has been great.

The pen won tonight's game, and will have to win a lot more.

MarkEdward
06-19-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Tragg

2 enigmas - ray and carlos

Why is Durham always considered an enigma? He's probably the 5th or 6th best second baseman in the majors this year. He's arguably been the 4th best second baseman in the majors for the past 3 years. He's always above average defensively, and one of the better offensive second basemen. He rarely gets injured, averaging over 150 games a season. There are many problems with this team; Ray isn't one of them.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2002, 02:26 AM
That's all you get when you only will spend 57 million dollars on payroll!

(You were expecting the 27 Yankees, the 75 Reds or the Mariners from last year?)

If you think it's bad now, wait till next year, when the Sox chop off another 10-12 million! (assuming they even play next year...)

Lip

delben91
06-19-2002, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
and I await KW's plans to find another leadoff hitter like him.

Willie Harris perhaps? Haven't really seen him in action enough to say for sure, but from what I've heard in various scouting reports, he's got the skills...patience, speed, line drive hitter.

34 Inch Stick
06-19-2002, 09:14 AM
5 million of that payroll chop will be Royce Clayton. The future is not so bleak.

chisoxfanatic
06-19-2002, 11:19 AM
:shammy
I bet you guys wish you had me in your lineup right about now!

Heather the Redbird

RKMeibalane
06-19-2002, 11:22 AM
Somehow, I have a feeling Royce will be around for a while. Ughh!

Tragg
06-19-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Somehow, I have a feeling Royce will be around for a while. Ughh!

They can get a royce clayton anytime for well under a million. I would hope not.

Iwritecode
06-19-2002, 12:13 PM
While we're on the subject of Royce, I want to make comment.

Don't think I'm blaming the team's offensive struggles solely on him because there are plenty of other players that aren't getting the clutch hits when they need to but I just happened to notice this a little more. Also, this is purely observation and I have no stats to back this up but why is it every time the team has runners in scoring position and two outs Clayton is always at the plate? I've been listening/watching the games when I can the past week or so and it just seems like this scenario comes up quite often. Of course the results are always the same. Clayton makes the third out. It just makes it hard to turn the lineup over or extend the inning. Again though, if the rest of the team where hitting I'm sure I wouldn't notice as much.

Dadawg_77
06-19-2002, 12:54 PM
According to ESPN.com

Scoring Pos. 2 out
AB BB RBI BA OPS
Clayton 18 1 5 .272
Konerko 48 4 9 .167
Valentin 17 3 11 .529
Thomas 29 3 17 .345

Close and Late

Clayton 13 3 0 .308 .822
Konerko 26 3 4 .346 .798
Valentin 20 3 2 .250 .748
Thomas 25 0 2 .200 .520

Only team total of 27 RBIs and OPS of .701 in a close and late situations while our oppents have 35 RBIs and a OPS of .684.

Paulwny
06-19-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

He's always above average defensively,

Totally disagree, Ray never could and still can't go to his right on ground balls. He's sleeps during the game and forgets to tag sliding base runners. His hitting has kept him in the ml.
His nickname on this board last year was " fire hydrant" for his lack of attempting to field balls hit to his right.