PDA

View Full Version : Lance Berkman?

ZombieRob
05-16-2010, 03:37 AM
I'm not saying we should or not go after him. I just want to see what people think, and would they be in favor of it? Also would Houston be willing to give him up, and does he have a no trade?

NLaloosh
05-16-2010, 09:46 AM
The Sox could probably get him without too much trouble but he's making about $ 15 mil. That's the problem and he's not the player that he was a few years ago.

So, I'd say there's very little chance of this happening.

Noneck
05-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Where would he play? The Sox have a 3rd baseman that they are into for 14m over the next 3 years that is currently not trade able.

russ99
05-16-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm not saying we should or not go after him. I just want to see what people think, and would they be in favor of it? Also would Houston be willing to give him up, and does he have a no trade?

He doesn't have a no-trade, but is making $14.5M with a $15M club option ($2M buyout) for next year. That will limit things, since nobody wants to pay him $15M next year, even Houston. Berkman's made some quotes about retiring if his option isn't picked up, so the acquiring team may inherit that issue.

Depending on how late they deal him (if they do) the chances are the Astros would need to eat some salary to get good prospects in return. It's doubtful Jerry would take on the full amount, since he wouldn't take on $8M more for Damon, so the Sox would need to pony up prospects for the Astros to eat salary.

Houston has good players/prospects in the outfield and at catcher. so pitching and infielders, especially 1B would be what they're looking for in return.

Maybe Viciedo, Retherford and a pitcher like Holmberg or Harrell would get it done in return for Berkman at half his remaining salary.

He'd likely play DH/1B for the Sox. Paul's a better defensive 1B, so he'd start there more often.

getonbckthr
05-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Lance Berkman truly has no spot on this team. Who would you bench to add his contract here? Konerko, Rios, Jones, Quentin or Pierre?

DirtySox
05-16-2010, 11:21 AM
This team shouldn't be adding salary and dumping prospects at all. They have given no indication they are remotely close to contending with either the Twins or the Tigers. Stay the course, and if the team magically starts clicking, then you consider this.

Tragg
05-16-2010, 01:54 PM
You don't give any prospects for berkman. You take some salary for declining hitters in their thirties and that's it.
The sox should be doing the opposite anyway despite guillens proclivities.
Nobody sensible will give the astros any good prospects for berkman

russ99
05-16-2010, 02:57 PM
You don't give any prospects for berkman. You take some salary for declining hitters in their thirties and that's it.
The sox should be doing the opposite anyway despite guillens proclivities.
Nobody sensible will give the astros any good prospects for berkman

We've been over this before.

Berkman is 34. Konerko is also 34. Would you say the same thing about him, that the Sox can't get any good prospects for him if they decide to trade him?

getonbckthr
05-16-2010, 03:03 PM

Berkman is 34. Konerko is also 34. Would you say the same thing about him, that the Sox can't get any good prospects for him if they decide to trade him?
Yes.

Tragg
05-16-2010, 06:13 PM

Correct.
No one thinks we're going to get much for Konerko.
But Konerko also has an advantage Berkman doesn't have....he brings an expiring contract.
But it's a good comparison.

no one would give us anything for Thome last year.

Our best chance is our pitching, particularly the bullpen. We're not the only team that overpays for middle relievers....it's high time we get on the sales end of that deal.

munchman33
05-16-2010, 06:33 PM
The only thing funnier than the thought we have no room for a bat like Lance Berkman is the thought that the trades this team will make in the next few weeks will involve veterans coming to the team.

KMcMahon817
05-16-2010, 06:45 PM
The only thing funnier than the thought we have no room for a bat like Lance Berkman is the thought that the trades this team will make in the next few weeks will involve veterans coming to the team.

Probably because it is May 16th and they are eight games out and is not the middle of July and 12 games out.

You would honestly rather be a fan of a team that essentially throws in the towel on a season as opposed to being a team that is always trying to improve?

If the Sox can bring in a veteran or two to right this ship, but all means do it. The season is far from over.

And, yes, I do realize they have been awful pretty much all season.

munchman33
05-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Probably because it is May 16th and they are eight games out and is not the middle of July and 12 games out.

You would honestly rather be a fan of a team that essentially throws in the towel on a season as opposed to being a team that is always trying to improve?

If the Sox can bring in a veteran or two to right this ship, but all means do it. The season is far from over.

And, yes, I do realize they have been awful pretty much all season.

When did closing your eyes to the blatantly obvious become a prerequisite of fandom? If anything, a fan should be responsible for holding the organization responsible for poor decisions. At least if that fan is interested in seeing the team win anytime in the future.

And it's not early. We've got a week or so to go one way or the other.

khan
05-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Lance Berkman truly has no spot on this team. Who would you bench to add his contract here? Konerko, Rios, Jones, Quentin or Pierre?
I still have no idea why this guy and Beckham aren't riding busses in Charlotte. An organization with any sort of guts and any sort of idea as to how to un-**** struggling young players would have sent them down awhile ago.

I'm not saying that Berkman would DEFINITELY be better than Quentin. But, to hold onto the idea that Quentin is much more than a one-year wonder is fading, and quickly, unless he turns it around.