PDA

View Full Version : Vladimir Guerrero

RKMeibalane
05-15-2010, 10:07 PM
I was looking over Vladimir Guerrero's career numbers earlier this evening, and they are more impressive than I remembered, and I've always been a Guerrero fan. There's no doubt in my mind that Guerrero belongs in Cooperstown, but I wanted to know what the rest of you thought. Additionally, is there any chance that he's elected first ballot?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/guerrvl01.shtml

WhiteSox5187
05-15-2010, 10:16 PM
I was looking over Vladimir Guerrero's career numbers earlier this evening, and they are more impressive than I remembered, and I've always been a Guerrero fan. There's no doubt in my mind that Guerrero belongs in Cooperstown, but I wanted to know what the rest of you thought. Additionally, is there any chance that he's elected first ballot?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/guerrvl01.shtml

I don't think he's a HOFer. He's a very good player, but not one of the all time greats.

doublem23
05-15-2010, 10:26 PM
I don't think he's a HOFer. He's a very good player, but not one of the all time greats.

B-R's Most Similar Players by age through his career has been Willie Mays, Manny Ramirez, and Duke Snider.

Oh yeah, this guy is definitely a Hall of Famer. On top of being an offensive machine, he was also one of the most feared defensive OF of his generation. The only thing he's got going against him is that he spent so many of his best years in complete anonymity in Montreal.

getonbckthr
05-15-2010, 10:34 PM
This may be sacrilage (sp) around here, but Vlad Guerrero is better than Frank Thomas.

VMSNS
05-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Doesn't Vlad hold the record for most consecutive .300+ AVG seasons (or something like that)?

I saw some highlights of him last night with Texas. He would have been a good pickup for the Sox this past offseason.

beasly213
05-15-2010, 11:34 PM
This may be sacrilage (sp) around here, but Vlad Guerrero is better than Frank Thomas.

As an overall baseball player sure. But as a hitter? Nope.

SoxNation05
05-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Just to contribute, I'm not picking a side in whether he did or not but like many players of this era, he is in the discussion as a potential steroid user.

A. Cavatica
05-16-2010, 12:01 AM
He needs a few more seasons to be a lock, but the quality's there.

KMcMahon817
05-16-2010, 12:15 AM
Doesn't Vlad hold the record for most consecutive .300+ AVG seasons (or something like that)?

I saw some highlights of him last night with Texas. He would have been a good pickup for the Sox this past offseason.

He's hit under .300 once in his career and that was at .295 in 2009.

MrT27
05-16-2010, 01:23 AM
He is a HoF in my book. Not only his offensive numbers but when he could move he was one of the best RF in the game with a cannon.

LITTLE NELL
05-16-2010, 07:16 AM
He gets my vote, very impressive numbers but needs a new barber.

getonbckthr
05-16-2010, 07:45 AM
Just to contribute, I'm not picking a side in whether he did or not but like many players of this era, he is in the discussion as a potential steroid user.
I've never heard Vlad in the steroid conversation.

PalehosePlanet
05-16-2010, 10:36 AM
The unbelievable thing about Vlad is that he absolutely swings from his ass whenever he swings. He doesn't shorten his swing with two strikes and doesn't have good plate discipline. Yet he is .322 lifetime with a .953 career OPS.

I really can't compare him with anyone I've ever seen play, although my father-in-law says he reminds him a bit of Roberto Clemente.

He is a no-brainer, sure fire HOF'er; most likely first ballot.

Brian26
05-16-2010, 10:54 AM

I think people tend to forget how good he was in Montreal. He had six solid years there before he even went to the Angels.

Brian26
05-16-2010, 10:55 AM

The one area that Frank destroys Vlad in is walks (which helps his OBP). Vlad never had the eye at the plate that Frank had.

getonbckthr
05-16-2010, 11:06 AM
The one area that Frank destroys Vlad in is walks (which helps his OBP). Vlad never had the eye at the plate that Frank had.
I agree. However Vlad's defensive impact balances that out, in my opinion.

PatK
05-16-2010, 12:25 PM
The unbelievable thing about Vlad is that he absolutely swings from his ass whenever he swings. He doesn't shorten his swing with two strikes and doesn't have good plate discipline. Yet he is .322 lifetime with a .953 career OPS.

Vlad's one of my all time favorites.

I have never seen anyone come close to hitting as many bad pitches as Vlad.

shes
05-16-2010, 02:36 PM
By any metric, the guy's a surefire HOFer.

WhiteSox5187
05-16-2010, 02:47 PM
I think people tend to forget how good he was in Montreal. He had six solid years there before he even went to the Angels.

You're right, I barely remember him with Montreal. But I have never thought of him as being a sure fire hall of famer in his career, but, if he is not playing in the midst of the steroid era maybe I would.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-17-2010, 10:57 AM

I actually wanted him here, but when that issue was brought up, it seemed like folks here viewed him as a right handed Jim Thome.

Vlad has been one of my favorite players and with time he may eventually get into the HOF.

pythons007
05-17-2010, 12:10 PM
He's a freak, no word describes him better. He's swings from his eyes to his toes and always gets good wood on the baseball. He's a notorious 1st pitch swinger and he still always managed an above .300 average. In 2009 he was injured throughout the season, so I'm going to give him a break on that one and he still hit .295!

If he isn't in the HoF when he retires, there is something wrong with this world. By the way, he's only 34, so I could see him as a fulltime DH for the remainder of his career. 6 more season!?!?! It's possible, and have you seen his numbers in Texas!?!?! Have you seen his numers this year!?!?!

soxinem1
05-17-2010, 01:19 PM

Wow. What are your standards? He's been very productive offensively and defensively with remarkable consistency.

Have you seen his career numbers, especially average, HR, RBI, SB, and OBPS? He ranks as good or higher than Mays, Mantle, and many others who actually belong there.

A extrabase slugging machine with low K totals to boot?

His home parks were definitely not hitter friendly until going to TEX this year.

And he's only 34, and playing the field more this year.

I could see Vlad play another four very solid years as a regular, if he wants to.

pythons007
05-17-2010, 02:01 PM
freak!