PDA

View Full Version : *Official 'Sox Are Just What Fired Up Royals Need Yost' 5/14 Postgame Thread

soxinem1
05-14-2010, 10:36 PM
That seventh inning looked just like a page from the play book of the 1983 White Sox.

Miserable defense tonight. One of the worst defensive games of the season.

Teahen's RBI and error totals are nearly one in the same.

When the DH bats ninth the pitcher should hit.

Fire away!!!

Scottiehaswheels
05-14-2010, 10:38 PM
At this point, I really don't even give a **** anymore. The same guys in charge will be there year after year, and this crap will continue to deteriorate. We're the ****ing Royals, we just don't know it yet.

tsoxman
05-14-2010, 10:38 PM
That seventh inning looked just like a page from the play book of the 1983 White Sox.

Miserable defense tonight. One of the worst defensive games of the season.

When the DH bats ninth the pitcher should hit.

Fire away!!!
Fire the damn General manager. He put this crap together and an expensive payroll to boot.

Too bad he has a lifetime contract.

CLR01
05-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Things are looking up, Sox fans. This team is about to go on a serious roll. DumpJerry will be eating like a king in no time.

Rikirk
At least Wimpy was somewhat entertaining.

sox1970
5 ****ing hits!

Dirty30
05-14-2010, 10:40 PM
embarrassing

harwar
terribly depressing ..

DirtySox
This team is terrible.

The only positive is that Gordon had a multi-hit game.

Woofer
05-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Is it too late for Big Frank to come back as a dh? No teal.

Crede24Thome25
05-14-2010, 10:41 PM
I hate this team even more than the 2007 team, because I had high expectations of this team. We pretty much knew what we were getting in 2007.

Marqhead
05-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Bad game by a bad team.

No doubt about it.

sox1970
05-14-2010, 10:43 PM
This team is terrible.

The only positive is that Gordon had a multi-hit game.

I was glad the first hit wasn't called an error. At least he's over .200...god that's sad.

Baron
05-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Lebron James please come to Chicago so I have something to cheer about

CLR01
05-14-2010, 10:44 PM

**** Lebron. Wrong thread, wrong forum.

Frater Perdurabo
05-14-2010, 10:44 PM
There isn't much to say anymore. It's time to slash payroll as much as we can without dumping the fan favorites like Paulie, AJ and Buehrle. So, let's trade away all the higher-priced players who fans won't miss, like Teahen, Linebrink and Pierre. Replace them with Morel, Hudson and Danks.

Next, to make sure Ozzie actually uses the young players instead of wasting time with crappy veterans, fire Ozzie, Cora and Walker. Ozzie doesn't want to develop young players anyway.

Finally, hire Jeff Torborg as manager, Trey Hillman as bench coach (he's not a great manager but he is a good teacher) and Von Joshua as hitting coach (he did a nice job with the young Sox hitters in 2000). Torborg knows the importance of putting your best fielding team on the field.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-14-2010, 10:45 PM
So Rios and Konerko were the only players batting above .248 this game, then Pierre with the .248, and then...seriously? .160-.210 for your other six hitters?

No wonder this team is pathetic.

A. Cavatica

Heck, he couldn't be much worse than Ozzie...

Scottiehaswheels
New advertising slogan: Expensive and ****ty.

bunty_doghunter
05-14-2010, 10:46 PM
**** Lebron. Wrong thread, wrong forum.
Not if he can hit!

CLR01
05-14-2010, 10:48 PM
Not if he can hit!

Let's hope he knows how. Lord knows he won't get any help here...

Woofer
Not if he can hit!

Hey, if Jordan could switch to baseball...

Frankfan4life
What happened to our obligatory useless solo home run? I'm bitterly disappointed. Thought sure we'd score two runs at most. :?:

theamb
05-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Let's hope he knows how. Lord knows he won't get any help here...

Since he is already accustomed to that, he might as well stay in Cleveland.

bunty_doghunter
05-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Not a good reminder.

theamb
05-14-2010, 10:56 PM

I would've preferred Jordan stop the charade and just admit that he was suspended for gambling.

pythons007
05-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Alright I'm officially going to apologize to everyone. I was wrong for thinking this team actually could turn things around. Today was the last straw! Not only did the twins lose but so did the tigers! Could have picked up a game on both playing the lowly royals!

But we couldn't score more than 1 run. We made another ****ty pitcher look like an all-star. That or every medicore pitcher that pitches only against the sox pitches like cy young!

Buehrle pitched well that 7th inning he didn't give up hard hit balls. A couple seeing eye singles and a ball hit to teahen that looked like a sure fire groundout that he had to dive for and completely missed. So glad vizquel was the dh tonight!

PhillipsBubba
I'd suggest that fans boycott the games but JR would only threaten to move the team to Tampa....oops...too late:cool:

soxinem1
There isn't much to say anymore. It's time to slash payroll as much as we can without dumping the fan favorites like Paulie, AJ and Buehrle. So, let's trade away all the higher-priced players who fans won't miss, like Teahen, Linebrink and Pierre. Replace them with Morel, Hudson and Danks.

Next, to make sure Ozzie actually uses the young players instead of wasting time with crappy veterans, fire Ozzie, Cora and Walker. Ozzie doesn't want to develop young players anyway.

Finally, hire Jeff Torborg as manager, Trey Hillman as bench coach (he's not a great manager but he is a good teacher) and Von Joshua as hitting coach (he did a nice job with the young Sox hitters in 2000). Torborg knows the importance of putting your best fielding team on the field.

I agree with you in principle, just not sure how this would work out.

First, the guys you want to dump, while it sounds good on paper, they have NO value what so ever. None.

Hudson and Jor Danks are not exactly setting the world on fire in the minors, and I believe Danks might be a bit too highly regarded around these parts. He seems to have the same future as the last highly-touted minor league prospect (Jeremy Reed) we had.

Now I liked Torborg, but a few problems with him exist. One, it is proven that he works best with young teams. With veteran teams, eh, I don't know. His fiery, rah-rah style would not fit well right now.

Plus, the circumstances of his departure left a pretty bad taste with him, and since Ozzie was one of his favorites, I'm not sure he'd want to replace him.

twinsuck
05-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Not gonna lie, I thought it was over once the Royals tied it....

But anyway, I absolutely HATE that Dusty Hughes guy that they had pitching. I have a personal beef against him...

Frater Perdurabo
05-14-2010, 11:10 PM
I agree with you in principle, just not sure how this would work out.

First, the guys you want to dump, while it sounds good on paper, they have NO value what so ever. None.

Hudson and Jor Danks are not exactly setting the world on fire in the minors, and I believe Danks might be a bit too highly regarded around these parts. He seems to have the same future as the last highly-touted minor league prospect (Jeremy Reed) we had.

Now I liked Torborg, but a few problems with him exist. One, it is proven that he works best with young teams. With veteran teams, eh, I don't know. His fiery, rah-rah style would not fit well right now.

Plus, the circumstances of his departure left a pretty bad taste with him, and since Ozzie was one of his favorites, I'm not sure he'd want to replace him.

I never said the Sox had to get anything back for Teahen, Linebrink or Pierre. Just salary relief is enough. With the way things are going, AJ and Paulie won't be re-signed. That means the Sox will get a lot younger, which plays to Torborg's strength. And didn't Torborg WANT to go to the Mets, to be closer to his mother?

slavko
05-14-2010, 11:12 PM
KC looks better than us, don't they. Teahen can't 3B, try a switch with Beckham. Might help. Oh fudge, KC is better than us.

DirtySox
05-14-2010, 11:13 PM
MDGonzales (http://twitter.com/MDGonzales)
tough luck for Beckham. His hit in third changed to error by Aviles.

:(:

asindc
05-14-2010, 11:14 PM
I never said the Sox had to get anything back for Teahen, Linebrink or Pierre. Just salary relief is enough. With the way things are going, AJ and Paulie won't be re-signed. That means the Sox will get a lot younger, which plays to Torborg's strength. And didn't Torborg WANT to go to the Mets, to be closer to his mother?

He did, and later said he regretted leaving the Sox.

Rikirk
Wouldnt it be funny if nobody showed up at the cell to watch a game...im talkin literal ghost town.

sox1970
Too bad for Beck, but I thought that was an error at the time.

Tragg
05-14-2010, 11:18 PM
It's a poorly constructed team, that the field manager continues to get the least output possible from.
Nothing really anyone can do.

canOcorn
05-14-2010, 11:23 PM
It's a poorly constructed team, that the field manager continues to get the least output possible from.

And the worst thing about it is that it's the team Ozzie wanted.

:fireozzie:

Why would KW allow this crap? And why would JR sign off? The whole freakin' lot needs to go since there's no responsibility for putting this pathetic team on the field.

Konerko05
05-14-2010, 11:26 PM
And the worst thing about it is that it's the team Ozzie wanted.

:fireozzie:

Just put it in your signature. Then try really hard to fill a post up with another thought.

PhillipsBubba
05-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Just put it in your signature. Then try really hard to fill a post up with another thought.

Uh-oh...the thought police are on patrol....

Konerko05
05-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Uh-oh...the thought police are on patrol....

Yes. The thought police. On patrol.

sox1970
05-14-2010, 11:38 PM
Ozzie vented postgame. I just heard it. He was fairly calm.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2010/05/ozzie_unplugged_on_his_horses-.html

EdHerman12
05-14-2010, 11:44 PM
:therapy:.....From perfect to debacle definitely schizo material

SluggersAway
05-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Ozzie vented postgame. I just heard it. He was fairly calm.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2010/05/ozzie_unplugged_on_his_horses-.html

How many non sequiturs and logical fallacies in those few paragraphs alone? Ozzie has lost it if he ever had it.

Brian26
05-14-2010, 11:54 PM

Teahen could be the worst defensive third baseman I've seen on the Sox in my lifetime, and that includes Eddie Williams and Olmedo Saenz.

Brian26
05-14-2010, 11:54 PM
Is it too late for Big Frank to come back as a dh? No teal.

Anything to keep from listening to him for another game in the booth.

Brian26
05-14-2010, 11:55 PM
We pretty much knew what we were getting in 2007.

Going into 2007? After consecutive 99 and 90 win seasons?

Not true at all.

doublem23
05-14-2010, 11:56 PM
Brutal, and Ms. Doub, a couple of friends and I were having such a nice dinner down on Taylor St. I even commented that I was glad the Sox game wasn't on so I could just enjoy the evening. They had the Bruins-Flyers game on, but when it ended, switched over to the Sox.

That was just as the Royals came up to bat in the 7th.

At least dinner and Italian lemonade were still good.

Brian26
05-14-2010, 11:58 PM
MDGonzales (http://twitter.com/MDGonzales)
tough luck for Beckham. His hit in third changed to error by Aviles.

:(:

That's the right call. No way was that a hit.

Brian26
05-14-2010, 11:59 PM
And didn't Torborg WANT to go to the Mets, to be closer to his mother?

Untrue story. He was somewhat forced out by the Sox. They suggested he go interview with the Mets.

Brian26
05-15-2010, 12:02 AM
How many non sequiturs and logical fallacies in those few paragraphs alone? Ozzie has lost it if he ever had it.

I love it when Ozzie's 100% focused on the action happening on the field.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/guillen.jpg

Brian26
05-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Brutal, and Ms. Doub, a couple of friends and I were having such a nice dinner down on Taylor St. I even commented that I was glad the Sox game wasn't on so I could just enjoy the evening. They had the Bruins-Flyers game on, but when it ended, switched over to the Sox.

That was just as the Royals came up to bat in the 7th.

At least dinner and Italian lemonade were still good.

It was actually a great game until the 7th.

tstrike2000
05-15-2010, 12:03 AM
For some reason, I keep telling myself we don't stink. Someone really needs to wake me up.

Lip Man 1
05-15-2010, 12:04 AM
Frater:

Jeff Torborg is not coming back to the Sox...not yesterday, not today, not tomorrow.

Trust me on this one.

Lip

doublem23
05-15-2010, 12:06 AM

I believe it. They turned the game on just as coffee and dessert hit the table. I said it sucked that it was the Royals and it was still a game, but at least we were in it. And then, of course, the floodgates opened up.

Marqhead
05-15-2010, 12:08 AM

It wasn't great, but it was entertaining. The Sox non-existent offense was still making it's presence known in innings 1-6.

doublem23
05-15-2010, 12:09 AM
For some reason, I keep telling myself we don't stink. Someone really needs to wake me up.

Its because they keep pulling out these occasional really well played games. I even get sucked in sometimes. You see the way they play when everyone is on their game and **** and you start to think they can do this for an extended amount of time but then you realize baseball is never like that. Teams got to be able to win when things go wrong, too, that is, if they want to win anything. I don't think this team can do that, at least not enough to offset how often they play piss poor.

There's still time to turn this around, but everyday we keep saying that, there's one less grain of sand in the hourglass.

bunty_doghunter
05-15-2010, 12:30 AM
So, the Royals just fired their manager and they win? Hmmmm...

Nellie_Fox
05-15-2010, 01:19 AM
So, the Royals just fired their manager and they win? Hmmmm...
So fire the manager after every game, and go 162-0! The logic is obvious!

guillensdisciple
05-15-2010, 04:08 AM
Alright guys. Mark sucks, and I think his time as a great pitcher might be through.

We suck, and I will cheer this team on with enthusiasm but do not expect any kind of comebacks from us.

Rehaul and build back up boys. It's time.

DrCrawdad
05-15-2010, 05:18 AM
Teahen could be the worst defensive third baseman I've seen on the Sox in my lifetime, and that includes Eddie Williams and Olmedo Saenz.

It seems that there have been a few worse, but I can't think of their names at the moment. Either way, Teahen is terrible defensively and offensively. He had a few good offensive games early on, but that seems like it's been weeks ago.

We've got Teahen for 2 more years. I can't imagine anyone will take him off our hands.

Frater:

Jeff Torborg is not coming back to the Sox...not yesterday, not today, not tomorrow.

Trust me on this one.

Lip

I do trust you on this. However, I did like Torborg as Sox manager.

Mohoney
05-15-2010, 05:59 AM
Alright guys. Mark sucks, and I think his time as a great pitcher might be through.

I can't agree with this yet. There is too much track record there saying that this is an exception and not a trend.

I would have to see a thoroughly horrid 2010 AND 2011 for me to say that he's done. He's earned the right to be able to work himself out of this. If he doesn't, we're done anyway, so we might as well give him the chance.

He might throw another no-hitter this season, and then we'll know for SURE that this season is done. I say keep him around for this reason alone.

SCCWS
05-15-2010, 08:54 AM
When the starting lineup has 4 players hitting below .200, it is tough for good things to happen. Luckily TQ was resting

hi im skot
05-15-2010, 09:22 AM

Epic eyeroll.

SI1020
05-15-2010, 09:31 AM
I do trust you on this. However, I did like Torborg as Sox manager. So did I.

Tragg
05-15-2010, 10:50 AM
So how could we trade for him and sign him to a very lucrative deal? He was a veteran, so the Scouts and Williams had every opportunity to see how he played; so did Ozzie......uh,oh, maybe I'm answering my own question.

Trading for Teahan and then signing him is absolutely indefensible.

ode to veeck
05-15-2010, 11:03 AM

get a grip

Tragg
05-15-2010, 11:22 AM
And the worst thing about it is that it's the team Ozzie wanted. Why would KW allow this crap?
Mind boggling.
After spending 2007 in Ozzie-land (Erstad, Jerry Owens, Sweeney can't play), Williams publically says that he needs to get some OBP and some offense on the club, so brings in Swisher, Quentin and Cabrera on board and the team gets 15-20 games better.
But after 2008, Williams goes right back to Ozzie ball. He gives Swisher to the Yankees and Ozzie annoints DeWayne Wise as his leadoff hitter. Despite a dismal 2009, this time Williams didn't reverse course like he did in 08, but pushed further into Ozzie ball.
These 2 seem to me to be completely on the same page.

As for Torborg, I always thought he was forced out. Didn't know why really, but surmised it was along the same lines as JR pushing out Doug Collins and bringing in Phil Jackson. It certainly worked in basketball, but Torborg was better than Lamont.

johnnyg83
05-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Something stinks. (sniff) oh, that's us.

6 hits against a guy with a 7+ era.

pudge
05-15-2010, 12:33 PM

If by great game you mean our team not being able to hit a pitcher with an 8+ ERA. :D:

DrCrawdad
05-15-2010, 01:33 PM
So how could we trade for him and sign him to a very lucrative deal? He was a veteran, so the Scouts and Williams had every opportunity to see how he played; so did Ozzie......uh,oh, maybe I'm answering my own question.

Trading for Teahan and then signing him is absolutely indefensible.

A bad trade and made worse by the contract. I keep hoping for Teahen to prove me wrong. There was a glimmer of hope but alas gone now.

canOcorn
05-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Mind boggling.
After spending 2007 in Ozzie-land (Erstad, Jerry Owens, Sweeney can't play), Williams publically says that he needs to get some OBP and some offense on the club, so brings in Swisher, Quentin and Cabrera on board and the team gets 15-20 games better.
But after 2008, Williams goes right back to Ozzie ball. He gives Swisher to the Yankees and Ozzie annoints DeWayne Wise as his leadoff hitter. Despite a dismal 2009, this time Williams didn't reverse course like he did in 08, but pushed further into Ozzie ball.
These 2 seem to me to be completely on the same page.

As for Torborg, I always thought he was forced out. Didn't know why really, but surmised it was along the same lines as JR pushing out Doug Collins and bringing in Phil Jackson. It certainly worked in basketball, but Torborg was better than Lamont.

I've read that KW has stated that Ozzie will be with the Sox longer than him.

I've also been told that JR ordered KW to interview Ozzie. Ozzie seems to be JR's guy and KW is bowing down to Ozzie in order to keep his job. That's what the rumor mill at 333 W. 35th street is spinning.

Brian26
05-15-2010, 02:17 PM
I've also been told that JR ordered KW to interview Ozzie. Ozzie seems to be JR's guy and KW is bowing down to Ozzie in order to keep his job. That's what the rumor mill at 333 W. 35th street is spinning.

Kenny is more JR's guy than Ozzie. JR met Kenny's father before the Sox drafted him, and there was a promise made about KW's future with the Sox.

CLUBHOUSE KID
05-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Going into 2007? After consecutive 99 and 90 win seasons?

Not true at all.

Yeah I know. When I saw that post I was like WHAT?!?! I actually loved the 2007 team on paper. Then, to add to that, they had the "Back To The Grind" slogan.

Frater Perdurabo
05-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Untrue story. He was somewhat forced out by the Sox. They suggested he go interview with the Mets.

Lip, without divulging your confidential sources, can you shed any light on why Torborg would have been forced out?

It really makes no sense, given that they had just had two consecutive second place finishes, with 94 and 87 wins in 1990 and 1991. Was 1991 considered a disappointment, given that they had added Raines, Snyder (a total flop), and had a full season of Frank?

That's why the official story told at the time - that Torborg wanted to manage the Mets to be closer to his mother - was so believable.

LITTLE NELL
05-15-2010, 02:39 PM
A bad trade and made worse by the contract. I keep hoping for Teahen to prove me wrong. There was a glimmer of hope but alas gone now.

I still say we gave up on Getz way too early. Never should have made that trade.

kittle42
05-15-2010, 02:56 PM
If finishing at .400 or below means the Sox dump Ozzie and maybe KW, I'll be all for it.

Oh, and the players suck, too.

Hegewisch
05-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Very sad ending to what looked like an easy win. What will turn this season around ???

bunty_doghunter
05-15-2010, 03:43 PM

Minnesota hopes that is true.
Detroit hopes that is true.
Etc. etc.
Nothing gives the hostiles more hope than knowing we will accept mediocrity for (pick a number) years because of the memory of one championship.

CLUBHOUSE KID
05-15-2010, 03:58 PM
I still say we gave up on Getz way too early. Never should have made that trade.

Agreed.

doublem23
05-15-2010, 05:33 PM

You're talking about a guy hitting .189 right now. He's actually one of the few players in the league who is somehow worse than Beckham or Teahen.

Unfortunately, when all you have to offer is crap and crap, you end up getting crap back.

CLR01
05-15-2010, 05:46 PM

Kenny is more JR's guy than Ozzie. JR met Kenny's father before the Sox drafted him, and there was a promise made about KW's future with the Sox.

Is Walker JR's illegitimate child?

Frater Perdurabo
05-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Unfortunately, when all you have to offer is crap and crap, you end up getting crap back.

Yes, but he was making league minimum, not $5 million per year for the next three years. He also can steal bases.

doublem23
05-15-2010, 11:54 PM
Yes, but he was making league minimum, not $5 million per year for the next three years. He also can steal bases.

That's fair enough, but let's not pretend like we'd be steamrolling the A.L. if we added Chris Getz to our infield. In fact, we'd probably be (somehow) doing worse than we're doing now.

Nellie_Fox
05-16-2010, 12:49 AM
It seems that there have been a few worse, but I can't think of their names at the moment.Carlos Martinez.