PDA

View Full Version : Mets attendance drop leads MLB

Fenway
05-14-2010, 02:58 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/14/sports/baseball/14attendance.html

The Mets really are a distant second in NYC after NYY

They have no fanbase upstate or in Westchester, Connecticut or Jersey.

Citi Field has not been received well and many Mets fans miss SHEA!!!!!

Marqhead
05-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Citi Field has not been received well and many Mets fans miss SHEA!!!!!

Well Mets fans are idiots then. Though I've never been there. EVERY SINGLE REPORT whether it was from a fan or media perspective that I've ever read stated that Shea was a complete dump.

doublem23
05-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Well Mets fans are idiots then. Though I've never been there. EVERY SINGLE REPORT whether it was from a fan or media perspective that I've ever read stated that Shea was a complete dump.

I was at a game there once and it was a total ****ing dump.

I think, though, what Mets fans miss is Shea prices. You can't be that surprised they've had such a huge drop. Opening year dust has settled and the team has been a trainwreck for the past 2 seasons. It's ain't rocket science.

Fenway
05-14-2010, 10:02 AM
I hated Shea for obvious reasons.

In 1988 I drove down from Boston as a Chicago friend who hosted a baseball show wanted to do Shea and Yankee Stadium on the same day. So we saw Expos-Mets and NYY-White Sox.

Shea reeked MTV while the Stadium reeked baseball.

One hysterical memory.

We were talking with Jerry Reuss on tghe field and he suddenly hopped the railing in uniform and sat down. He said "Why would anybody spend money for this - not me."

An usher came down and demanded to see his ticket and ordered him to leave the seat.

Marqhead
05-14-2010, 10:41 AM

I think, though, what Mets fans miss is Shea prices. You can't be that surprised they've had such a huge drop. Opening year dust has settled and the team has been a trainwreck for the past 2 seasons. It's ain't rocket science.

Right. A couple monumental collapses and lots of injuries haven't helped things recently. Even a new stadium can't fend off those effects.

A team with a little more spark this year and a great home record should help as the weather turns. Winning puts the butts in the seats, plain and simple.

downstairs
05-14-2010, 01:24 PM
They're averaging 31,892! That's not bad at all. And when you consider they're down from 38,000+ average, I blame this only on the fact that last year was the first year in the new stadium.

NDSox12
05-14-2010, 03:59 PM

Exactly. For all the talk about how expensive tickets are at the new Yankee Stadium, at least they do have some modestly priced seats (bleachers). At Citi Field, you can't get a ticket anywhere but the nosebleeds for <$40 most games.

wilburaga
05-14-2010, 04:27 PM
The Mets are in serious danger of becoming a moribund franchise. I work in lower Manhattan and the ratio of Yankees caps to Met caps is like 20 to 1. I probably see more White Sox caps.

If they don't stay in the race, people will stop going at those prices in this economy. Wright and Santana are fine, but Beltran is not particularly fan friendly, and their most dynamic player, Reyes, often comes off like a punk. A couple of years ago they were playing for the pennant on the final day of the regular season, and Reyes popped up and didn't run it out.

And, yes, Shea was a dump.

WhiteSox5187
05-14-2010, 04:40 PM

Shea was cheap but I think what they miss about Shea was the memories that were built there.

asindc
05-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Shea was cheap but I think what they miss about Shea was the memories that were built there.

Exactly what I was thinking.

asindc
05-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Exactly. For all the talk about how expensive tickets are at the new Yankee Stadium, at least they do have some modestly priced seats (bleachers). At Citi Field, you can't get a ticket anywhere but the nosebleeds for <$40 most games.

Which, I unfortunately found out, get snapped up first among the walk-up tickets.

slavko
05-17-2010, 03:03 PM
They're averaging 31,892! That's not bad at all. And when you consider they're down from 38,000+ average, I blame this only on the fact that last year was the first year in the new stadium.

Makes good sense. That and NYY. But mostly New Stadium Fever wearing off.

VMSNS
05-17-2010, 03:31 PM

My girlfriend and I went on a trip to NYC last summer, and we wanted to check out a Met game one evening to see the new Citi Field. I remember being surprised at the ticket prices, especially for a team like the Mets. Suffice to say, we ended up going to a show that night instead.

The team's struggles are unfortunate because they seem to have a good group of players (Santana, K-Rod, Reyes, Beltran, Wright, Bay), but nothing ever seems to go right with them.

C-Dawg
05-17-2010, 05:10 PM

Particularly those two championships. The 1986 series was a lot of fun to watch; heck I might spring for the DVD set just to have it for the collection. I loved that team!

harwar
05-18-2010, 08:03 AM
most here will not understand this but,i miss all the old parks .. i realize that the new parks are much more comfy and have better food and that the old structures age and fall apart , it's happened to me lol .. time marches on .. for me,the old ballparks had a feeling of history and tradition and family .. the first two are empty words used way too often by the media and mean nothing to me when i look at the glistening new buildings where they play the games today .. people are looking for that emotional connection that makes them feel something deep inside .. i hope people can find that today the way my wife and i did ..

palehozenychicty
05-18-2010, 12:38 PM
They're still drawing at a decent clip. They're just a poorly run franchise, for the money they spend. They may have one of the worst management teams in all of MLB. Their roster, aside from Wright, K. Rodriguez, and Santana, is short on courage and talent. Reyes and Beltran are soft. It's a shame. Citi Field is a nice park with better food and everything else than Shea.

WhiteSox5187
05-18-2010, 02:44 PM
They're still drawing at a decent clip. They're just a poorly run franchise, for the money they spend. They may have one of the worst management teams in all of MLB. Their roster, aside from Wright, K. Rodriguez, and Santana, is short on courage and talent. Reyes and Beltran are soft. It's a shame. Citi Field is a nice park with better food and everything else than Shea.

The Wilpons are also the worst owners in the sport...if only for making the Mets wear black.

LITTLE NELL
05-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Besides the Mets dropping off, the Yankees are down too, for the 1st time in years they are not the attendance leaders, the Phillies are number 1 at least for now. Maybe even New Yorkers have had enough of high ticket prices.

DSpivack
05-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Besides the Mets dropping off, the Yankees are down too, for the 1st time in years they are not the attendance leaders, the Phillies are number 1 at least for now. Maybe even New Yorkers have had enough of high ticket prices.

Well, that and New Yankee Stadium seats about 10,000 less than it's predecessor did.

LITTLE NELL
05-23-2010, 10:32 AM

Well, that and New Yankee Stadium seats about 10,000 less than it's predecessor did.

Yankees are drawing at only 85.9% of capacity and the Phils are at 103.7%. Just for comparison the Sox are at 56.7%.

DSpivack
05-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Yankees are drawing at only 85.9% of capacity and the Phils are at 103.7%. Just for comparison the Sox are at 56.7%.

Ahh, I thought you meant overall numbers.

LITTLE NELL
05-23-2010, 11:54 AM

Ahh, I thought you meant overall numbers.

That too, Phils are averaging 45,116, and the Yanks 44.956.

ewokpelts
05-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Well, that and New Yankee Stadium seats about 10,000 less than it's predecessor did.new yankee stadium hold 4k less than old yankee stadium. 55k vs 51k