PDA

View Full Version : The Padres

05-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Best record in the NL. Are they for real? I have to say yes but mostly because the NL West is not very good.

Garland and Richard are looking good!

If the Reds get their own thread and poll than so do the Padres!

Marqhead
05-13-2010, 09:37 AM
You say yes cause you're from SoCal. :redneck

I think they are overachieving right now, and the rotation is average at best. They have some good young players, but you have to wonder when management is going to start trading away those more expensive pieces. It will be hard to justify if they keep winning, but I think they'll cool off eventually.

doublem23
05-13-2010, 09:46 AM
I put they're for real because I think they'll be in the hunt all year. I don't know if that will translate to a division title or even a Wild Card berth, but I don't see San Diego falling off a cliff.

I think Garland is definitely for real in that park. Even though he's slightly favoring ground balls in 2010, he's been historically a pretty heavy fly ball pitcher.

Their offense is terrible, but they're still winning as one of the worst in the NL. If they can pick it up, just a bit, or acquire another bat for their lineup, they could be real, real dangerous.

05-13-2010, 09:55 AM
I put they're for real because I think they'll be in the hunt all year. I don't know if that will translate to a division title or even a Wild Card berth, but I don't see San Diego falling off a cliff.

I think Garland is definitely for real in that park. Even though he's slightly favoring ground balls in 2010, he's been historically a pretty heavy fly ball pitcher.

Their offense is terrible, but they're still winning as one of the worst in the NL. If they can pick it up, just a bit, or acquire another bat for their lineup, they could be real, real dangerous.

I think their offense has completely underachieved so far at this point. They are not the Bronx Bombers but I think the offense will improve.

Adrian is still hitting .265 at this point. Maybe Headley is overachieving a little but he always had the potential to play at the level he is at. Kyle Blanks has been a big dissappointment but he can still get it going.

Yeah I am drinking the local kool-aid. This team will win the NL West.

pythons007
05-13-2010, 10:26 AM
They started out this way last year to the T. I remember people saying the Padres are in first? How could this be?

I remember last year on Baseball Tonight (no less) asking the same questions, and then interviewing the Padres closer Heath Bell. He said some funny things to them about no love for the Padres. And they show nothing but Yankees/Red Sox!!

Got to love those guys that tell it like it is.

05-13-2010, 10:34 AM
They started out this way last year to the T. I remember people saying the Padres are in first? How could this be?

I remember last year on Baseball Tonight (no less) asking the same questions, and then interviewing the Padres closer Heath Bell. He said some funny things to them about no love for the Padres. And they show nothing but Yankees/Red Sox!!

Got to love those guys that tell it like it is.

No they did not! They came out in the first week and went 6-2 but that was about as good as it got. They finished April 2009 11-11 and went 2-10 the first 12 games in May.

On May 13, 2009 they were 13-21! They have matched their best start ever this season (that isn't saying much I know). They were hot the first week and half of the season in 2009 but have been maybe the hottest team in baseball for the first month and a half of 2010.

05-13-2010, 10:44 AM
You say yes cause you're from SoCal. :redneck

I think they are overachieving right now, and the rotation is average at best. They have some good young players, but you have to wonder when management is going to start trading away those more expensive pieces. It will be hard to justify if they keep winning, but I think they'll cool off eventually.

If they continue to compete I really don't think they will sell anything off. Adrian has a contract until the end of 2011 so they are not desperate yet to get something back for him.

I think their rotation is better than average. They may not have a frontend #1 but the mix of guys they have matches the team and ballpark well. Mat Latos is begenning to emerge and also Wade Leblanc has picked right up from 2009 and showing that he is a good middle rotation pitcher.

Marqhead
05-13-2010, 10:49 AM
If they continue to compete I really don't think they will sell anything off. Adrian has a contract until the end of 2011 so they are not desperate yet to get something back for him.

I think their rotation is better than average. They may not have a frontend #1 but the mix of guys they have matches the team and ballpark well. Mat Latos is begenning to emerge and also Wade Leblanc has picked right up from 2009 and showing that he is a good middle rotation pitcher.

Definitely true about Gonzalez. If they keep winning, or even have a decent early summer they'll probably wait until next year to deal him. I'm thinking a couple of those bullpen pieces are gone at this year's deadline, specifically Heath Bell though losing him wont be terrible because they have plenty of replacements and Bell is likely to bring a decent return.

That's what I was getting at with the rotation. There's no 1 or 2 but they've got some solid guys. Playing in Petco definitely helps all of them out, but over the long haul I expect Garland and LeBlanc to regress back to their career averages.

The Pads are a fun team, I hope they stay in the hunt. I think ultimately the Giants or Rockies are going to end up on top. Definitely enjoy it while it lasts, this is a much more interesting conversation then "hey the Pads are in last, how much do they suck!"

Vestigio
05-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Best record in the NL. Are they for real? I have to say yes but mostly because the NL West is not very good.

Garland and Richard are looking good!

If the Reds get their own thread and poll than so do the Padres!

I have to disagree there. The NL West is arguably the best division in the NL. The Rockies, Dodgers, Giants, and to a lesser extent the Diamondbacks are all playoff calibur teams. Three of the four teams have good offense, excluding the Giants which is only serviceable. The pitching is decent all around, except the D-backs pen which blows.

As you may have noticed I left out the Padres because I dont think they are able to maintain the level of play that they have shown. While their offense should improve slightly, they're pitching should really regress. I don't see Garland, Richard, Corriea, and LeBlanc all pitching as well as they have.

05-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Mat Latos with a 1 hit shutout to finish off another sweep of the Giants. :whistle:

6-0 vs. that play caliber Giants team isn't so bad.

october23sp
05-13-2010, 11:31 PM
For real as the best team in the NL? No.

For real as the best team in the NL West? Yes.

09-25-2010, 11:30 AM
9 games to go and the Padres now lead the NL Wild Card but also are still .5 behind the Giants and tied in the loss column for the NL West.

I still think this team is playoff bound and I think they will somehow take the division still.

Go Padres. This has been fun to watch.

Hitmen77
09-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Some Padres think the Rockies are cheating:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/top-posts/heath-bell-also-believes-rockies-are-cheating.php

NLaloosh
09-28-2010, 03:08 PM
I hope they miss the playoffs. That is the worst lineup I've ever seen. I can't fathom how they can be even .500.

With 3 starting pitchers - Richard, Garland and Kevin Correia ?

They have one good hitter on the team. I'd like to have their coaching staff on the White Sox. It's unbelievable.

KMcMahon817
09-28-2010, 04:43 PM
I hope they miss the playoffs. That is the worst lineup I've ever seen. I can't fathom how they can be even .500.

With 3 starting pitchers - Richard, Garland and Kevin Correia ?

They have one good hitter on the team. I'd like to have their coaching staff on the White Sox. It's unbelievable.

hahahaha. Mat Latos is one of the best young pitchers in the entire game.

NLaloosh
09-28-2010, 06:52 PM
hahahaha. Mat Latos is one of the best young pitchers in the entire game.

Does Latos pitch every game?

Hitmen77
10-01-2010, 12:59 AM
The Padres now have to sweep the Giants this weekend to stay alive. San Diego had a 6 game lead over SF on August 28.

10-01-2010, 01:54 AM
Unfortunately they are toast.

TDog
10-01-2010, 09:14 AM
The Padres now have to sweep the Giants this weekend to stay alive. San Diego had a 6 game lead over SF on August 28.

Many Giants fans believed the season was over before the Padres lost 10 in a row. The most optimistic were conceding the division and looking at the wild card.

The Padres collapse might be compared to the 1969 Cubs (8.5 game lead in mid-August), except that people expected the Padres to collapse since May. But they remain ahead of the Rockies, who fans thought would overtake them, and would still leading the division if the Giants weren't playing so well.

But if the Padres win three games in front of sellout SRO crowds in San Francisco this weekend, the playoff game would be held in San Diego.

harwar
10-01-2010, 09:49 AM
i've been layed-up for a bit and haven't been able to watch or anything .. i can't believe the Padres collapsed like that .. after the White Sox fell apart i was banking on the Rockies or the Padres to win .. oh well .. better luck next time i guess ..

TheOldRoman
10-01-2010, 10:00 AM
The Pads are 5-1 in SF this year, but I can't see them winning these 3. The Padres' suck fest against the loveable losers really killed them, as they have to beat the Giants 4 times in the next 4 days (including a tiebreaker) to get in. I am rooting for the Padres to sweep this weekend and the Braves to lose 2 of 3 so we get a double tiebreaker for the first time (to my knowledge).

Rockabilly
10-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Go Giants!!

sox1970
10-02-2010, 06:20 PM
4-1 Padres, top 8

6 outs from pushing this to Sunday.

Braves and Phillies are scoreless in the 7th. If the Phillies sweep and Padres sweep, the Giants will be the wildcard.

sox1970
10-02-2010, 06:33 PM
3-0 Phils, 7th.

4-1 Pads, 8th.

This thing is going down to the final day.

SoxandtheCityTee
10-02-2010, 07:02 PM
I am rooting for the Padres to sweep this weekend and the Braves to lose 2 of 3 so we get a double tiebreaker for the first time (to my knowledge).

Well, you're just about two thirds of the way there. Padres win, Phils lead late.

WhiteSox5187
10-02-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm pulling for the Padres, which almost certainly dooms them to failure, but I'd really like to see the Braves get in in Bobby Cox's last year.

sox1970
10-02-2010, 07:23 PM
So once this Braves game ends--

Giants 91-70
Padres 90-71
Braves 90-71

Sunday:
12:35 Hamels vs Hudson
3:05 Latos vs Sanchez

SoxandtheCityTee
10-02-2010, 07:50 PM
So if ATL loses tomorrow, and the Padres win, both NL West teams are in. A double celebration? If the Giants lose they'd have to feel less than stellar, to be swept into the Wild Card when they were 3 up with 3 to go for the Division. Still, in is in.

WhiteSox5187
10-02-2010, 08:34 PM
So if ATL loses tomorrow, and the Padres win, both NL West teams are in. A double celebration? If the Giants lose they'd have to feel less than stellar, to be swept into the Wild Card when they were 3 up with 3 to go for the Division. Still, in is in.

Now what happens if the Padres and the Braves win?

DirtySox
10-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Now what happens if the Padres and the Braves win?

http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/64868094/applepie_normal.JPG
keithlaw (http://twitter.com/#%21/keithlaw) keithlaw

Yes. RT @Michael_Barrell (http://twitter.com/Michael_Barrell) Would I be correct in guessing Giants play Padres for NL West title and loser of that plays Braves for Wild Card?