PDA

View Full Version : Tom Paciorek Returns to Sox Broadcast Team, temporarily

Viva Medias B's
05-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Besides the mention of this (http://twitter.com/cst_sox) in the Hawk/umpires thread, I did not see any specific thread about Tom Paciorek returning to the Sox broadcast team on a temporary basis. Because DJ is still at home tending to family matters, Chris Rongey returns to the studio and the Wimperoo will sit alongsige Ed Farmer for the Kansas City series and the Detroit series.

Coops4Aces
05-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Besides the mention of this in the Hawk/umpires thread, I did not see any specific thread about Tom Paciorek returning to the Sox broadcast team on a temporary basis. Because DJ is still at home tending to family matters, Chris Rongey returns to the studio and Tom Paciorek will sit alongsige Ed Farmer for the Kansas City series and the Detroit series.

OMG!!! Awesome!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

gregoriop
05-12-2010, 10:08 PM
OMG!!! Awesome!:bandance::bandance::bandance:
I am going to go ahead and confirm this as awesome.

ChiSoxGirl
05-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Besides the mention of this (http://twitter.com/cst_sox) in the Hawk/umpires thread, I did not see any specific thread about Tom Paciorek returning to the Sox broadcast team on a temporary basis. Because DJ is still at home tending to family matters, Chris Rongey returns to the studio and the Wimperoo will sit alongsige Ed Farmer for the Kansas City series and the Detroit series.

This is all kinds of awesome!!! :bliss: Sometimes it pays to listen to the games on the radio!

Quentin4prez
05-12-2010, 10:10 PM
am i missing something???

doublem23
05-12-2010, 10:13 PM
am i missing something???

DJ has some family matters to tend to, so he's away from the Sox booth.
Rongey filled in for the Twins series but is heading back to Chicago.
Tom Paciorek, who called games with Hawk on TV through the '90s, will be at Farmer's side on the Score.

That's really all there is.

kevingrt
05-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Straight up awesomeness. Luv me some Wimpy!

Taliesinrk
05-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I may buy the radio feed just for this. I love Wimpy!!!

slavko
05-12-2010, 10:38 PM
If Stoney worked hinself into a job here, maybe the same thing will happen to Tom. But which job would it be? Not next to Hawk, that's taken. Maybe next to Stoney!!!

Dub25
05-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Wimpy should've never been shown the door to begin with.

Anyone remember when he insisted on being called The Duke and Hawk pretty much said, no, you're the Wimparoo? Good stuff.

MetroPD
05-12-2010, 11:42 PM
yeah Wimpy is back!

DSpivack
05-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Wimpy should've never been shown the door to begin with.

Anyone remember when he insisted on being called The Duke and Hawk pretty much said, no, you're the Wimparoo? Good stuff.

He was shown the door? I thought he left on his own choice.

soxfan21
05-13-2010, 12:32 AM
This is sweet, I do miss the hawk and wimpy telecasts, brings back some good memories of childhood, but Stoney is good at his craft though. I might try to listen to the radio this week just to hear me some wimpy.

Hitmen77
05-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Interesting. Assuming the radio and tv broadcast guys see each other during the course of a day, I wonder what it will be like when Hawk and Wimpy cross paths.

Seeing as they supposedly had a pretty bad falling out, i'd imagine that meeting will be very awkward.

hi im skot
05-13-2010, 12:42 AM
http://www.rechargebiomedical.com/images/spicoli.jpg

LoveYourSuit
05-13-2010, 12:47 AM
This is the highlight of my season so far!

Lip Man 1
05-13-2010, 12:48 AM
ML: In 1990 the TV crew was you, Jim Durham and “Hawk” Harrelson. Then in 1991 it was you and Hawk and that remained the TV team until the end of the 1999 season. Tom, I’ve heard a lot of talk and rumors about why you left the Sox. Can you give us the straight truth about why after 12 years you were gone?

TP: “I always looked at a broadcasting team exactly the same way I did when I was playing. It had to be a team effort to get the job done. It was a situation where Hawk and I were losing it from a chemistry standpoint the last few years. There were also some personal issues pending in the Atlanta area and it was difficult to take care of them when I was traveling around all the time. I was glad that I decided to make the move although I regretted leaving a lot of great people that I worked with.”

“I don’t like to watch or listen to myself but when I decided to try for the Nationals TV job I had to put together a tape so I watched some of the games from when Hawk and I were working together and I’ve got to tell you we were really good.”

ML: While I’m thinking of it how did you get the nickname ‘wimpy?’

TP: “That’s from when I was with the Dodgers. I signed with L.A. in 1968 and you look at the guys the Dodgers drafted just that year...Steve Garvey, Bill Buckner, Davey Lopes, Bill Russell, Roy Cey...that may have been the single greatest draft in baseball history. All of us came up together and in the minor leagues we’d eat together. When we’d go out guys would always be getting steak but I’d always order a hamburger so I got that nickname. That’s from the Popeye cartoons, he had a friend ‘Wimpy,’ who always wanted hamburgers.”

-------------------------------

There were unofficial stories that Tom got the boot because supposedly he wasn't preparing enough for his duties. I never felt there was any shred of truth to that...after 12 years you don't suddenly "stop" preparing.

Lip

Rikirk
05-13-2010, 01:06 AM
Ranger was great with Farmio during DJs absense. He calls a good game.
Always liked Wimpy too...
The next few broadcasts should be fun.

ilsox7
05-13-2010, 01:17 AM
He was shown the door? I thought he left on his own choice.

I feel confident in saying Hawk had Wimpy fired.

DSpivack
05-13-2010, 09:29 AM

I just didn't remember why he left. Lip covered some of it, but it sounds like there's more there, too.

soltrain21
05-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Didn't they have a falling out after Paciorek came out about some stuff from his childhood involving the church?

Over By There
05-13-2010, 10:10 AM
This is great. Welcome back, Wimpy!

pythons007
05-13-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm definately going to be looking foward to this. I miss him and Hawk together.

slavko
05-13-2010, 10:23 AM

He was part of it, but not all of it, IMO. Don't expect hugs and kisses.

Didn't they have a falling out after Paciorek came out about some stuff from his childhood involving the church?

Coincidental. "Some stuff" refers to what all of us know it does.

soxrme
05-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Tom should stay after DJ comes back and let Farmer be involved elsewhere!

Bump34
05-13-2010, 10:42 AM
It will be great to have Tom back in the booth...albeit for just a couple of series...

Madscout
05-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Did DJ get a break? I gotta say, I enjoyed listening to both games more than anytime DJ is in there. Farmer likes Singleton better, DJ is a moron, and we only have one awkward guy in the booth. If DJ is gone tomorrow, I won't miss him.

ode to veeck
05-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Great to have Tom back, too bad it is not more permanent. I always felt we'd have been 500 miles better off if Hawk, not Tom, had left years ago

Over By There
05-13-2010, 12:10 PM
The other thread about Wimpy just says something about family matters. I tend to agree with you about DJ. I listen to a lot of games on radio because I'm too cheap to spring for Extra Innings, and I've really grown weary of DJ. Hate to say it because he seems like a good guy with a decent sense of humor. But I didn't like him when he was in the TV booth, and although I've tried to give him time, he bothers me in the radio booth as well. If I had to sum it up in one sentence, it just sounds to me like he's trying too hard all the time. It results in a herky-jerky style I like even less on the radio than I did on TV. Ranger wasn't perfect but it was really refreshing compared to DJ.

DumpJerry
05-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Did DJ get a break? I gotta say, I enjoyed listening to both games more than anytime DJ is in there. Farmer likes Singleton better, DJ is a moron, and we only have one awkward guy in the booth. If DJ is gone tomorrow, I won't miss him.
He's on strike until TCQ has 20 HRs and Gordon is batting .310.

salty99
05-13-2010, 12:33 PM
I love Wimpy

Dibbs
05-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Awesome, but hopefully Wimpy doesn't give himself a "hot foot" in Kansas City again!

October26
05-13-2010, 01:04 PM

HOORAY - this IS good news. Welcome back, Tom Paciorek. :bandance: I listen to many of the Sox games on the radio (busy mom with kids), so this will be a nice change.

hi im skot
05-13-2010, 01:40 PM
I never heard Singleton in the booth, but Rongey was there Tuesday and Wednesday.

FarmerAndy
05-13-2010, 01:53 PM

I wish somebody would have Hawk fired.

WhiteSox1989
05-13-2010, 02:03 PM
I never heard Singleton in the booth, but Rongey was there Tuesday and Wednesday.
I actually enjoyed Rongey with Farmer.

forrestg
05-13-2010, 02:41 PM
amen to the Hawk firing. Wimpy made the game interesting while Hawk just glorified Hawk.

soltrain21
05-13-2010, 02:49 PM
At this point Hawk is a caricature.

Jim Shorts
05-13-2010, 03:14 PM

kinda like his stint as GM

downstairs
05-13-2010, 03:26 PM

http://www.sox35th.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/hawkeroo.jpg

RCWHITESOX
05-13-2010, 03:39 PM
I wish somebody would have Hawk fired.

Send him to the Red Sox where he belongs. Maybe we could sign a real broadcaster in Vin Scully We wish!

tstrike2000
05-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Alright, The Duke!

KnightSox
05-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Paciorek was good, I look forward to hearing him again.

Steelrod
05-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Great, I can't wait!
Hopefully he will stay on for longer, if for no other reason, to irritate Hawk!

kaufsox
05-13-2010, 11:48 PM
A big part of what got me into the Sox was Hawk and Wimpy doing the games in the 1990s. I'm glad he's back if even for a few games.

Nellie_Fox
05-14-2010, 01:00 AM
Maybe we could sign a real broadcaster in Vin Scully We wish!I find Scully incredibly boring.

Mohoney
05-14-2010, 04:42 AM
Send him to the Red Sox where he belongs. Maybe we could sign a real broadcaster in Vin Scully We wish!

John Rooney and Steve Stone.

TommyJohn
05-14-2010, 09:27 AM
noooooooo!!!!!

LongLiveFisk
05-14-2010, 09:33 AM

"We've got an exciting season planned for you folks. Don't miss Carlton Fisk in left field and the next great catching star for the White Sox, Joel Skinner. So sit back, relax, and STRAP IT DOWN!"

harwar
05-14-2010, 10:04 AM
i'm actually excited to hear Wimpy back doing Sox games .. i think he and Farmio will work great together .. looking forward to a productive road trip on the march to getting back to .500 ..

SephClone89
05-14-2010, 10:17 AM
I only started watching the Sox in '98, so I don't remember all that much of Wimpy, but I do remember that I liked him a lot, and my dad loved him. Excited to hear him in the booth again!

soxinem1
05-14-2010, 11:49 AM
I could take him or leave him, but he did have one of the best lines I ever heard in a broadcast:

Hawk: There's the Yankee manager, Stump Merrill...... Why do you suppose they call him 'Stump', Wimpy?

Paciorek: I don't know, I never saw him in the shower before!!

WhiteSoxFTW
05-14-2010, 11:52 AM
I actually enjoyed Rongey with Farmer.

I really enjoyed Rongey with Ed, as well. I thought he did a really good job in the color role, and he and Ed had some good banter going.

The only thing I thought Chris needed to work on was his "ball in play" calls. There were several times where for several seconds I was left to wonder what happened.

soxinem1
05-14-2010, 11:58 AM
"We've got an exciting season planned for you folks. Don't miss Carlton Fisk in left field and the next great catching star for the White Sox, Joel Skinner. So sit back, relax, and STRAP IT DOWN!"

Don't forget feisty Wayne Tolleson at 3B, Juice at 2B, speedburning youngster John Cangelosi in CF, reigning Rookie of the Year Ozzie Guillen at SS, Ron Kittle totally devoted to hitting at DH, and a totally retooled pitching staff complete with a coach for each facet of the game, including:

Our power hitting coach, Willie Horton.
Our relief pitching coach Moe Drabowsky.......

And a total of 48 DIFFERENT players wearing a White Sox uniform that season, no small feat considering MLB teams, at Hawk's suggestion, voluntarily went with 24 man rosters starting in 1986 thru 1989.

Please, let's not re-live any more of this!!!:o:

The only things Hawk did that were right were making every Saturday night home game Fireworks Night and moving the dimensions of Comiskey Park back and making them accurate.

Of course, watching Rob Deer put a Tom Seaver pitch on the roof Opening Day 1986 sort of made you wonder what planet that ball might have landed on if the plate was not moved back.

kaufsox
05-14-2010, 03:32 PM
I really enjoyed Rongey with Ed, as well. I thought he did a really good job in the color role, and he and Ed had some good banter going.

The only thing I thought Chris needed to work on was his "ball in play" calls. There were several times where for several seconds I was left to wonder what happened.

I thought that too about Ranger. I think some of this is just practice and getting the pace and style down. Otherwise he did a solid job.

BadBobbyJenks
05-14-2010, 03:44 PM
@InsideTheSox Frank Thomas joins #WhiteSox (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23WhiteSox) telecasts this wknd (CSN-WGN-CSN), while Tom Paciorek sits in on radio (WSCR AM 670) @mlb (http://twitter.com/mlb)

What is this about?

FielderJones
05-14-2010, 04:50 PM
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a broadcast today!

PalehosePlanet
05-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Coincidental. "Some stuff" refers to what all of us know it does.

Highly doubtful. That story broke in May of 2002, almost three years after he left The Sox.

Another interesting tidbit on Paciorek --- unless the record has been broken in the last few years that I'm not aware of --- is that he holds the record for hits in a ballgame by a player in a game in which he did not start. He went 5 for 9 in that 25 inning marathon against The Brewers back in 1984, after he entered the ballgame in the 4th or 5th inning.

Tom Seaver, btw, won that game in relief and he won the regularly scheduled game afterward. (The game was continued the next day when the game hit the old 1:00 AM AL curfew.)

Lip Man 1
05-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Steve Stone is allowed by contract to miss I think 10 games during the season. D.J. has some personal family matters that he has to attend to.

Lip

Lip Man 1
05-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Palehose:

From my interview with Tom:

ML: Of course one game that does stand out was the 25 inning game with Milwaukee on May 8th and 9th. It’s the longest game time wise (Author’s Note: 8:06) in MLB history. You had five hits in the game won on a home run by Harold Baines. What’s it like playing in a game that long?

TP: “I guess it turned out that was the high point of the season. I certainly remember that game because I didn’t start it yet still had five hits. I was actually eating pizza in the umpires dressing room when one of the clubhouse guys told me I had to go in the game for Ron Kittle. Kitty came down with a migraine. I asked the guy when I was needed and he said something like ‘you’re up next!’ I flew into the dugout and had pizza sauce all over my uniform top. I struck out on three pitches and remember thinking, ‘hell, Kittle could have done that!’

ML: When a game goes that long is that one of the situations where the guys look at one another and say something like, ‘this game has gone so long we damn well better win it!’

TP: “Sure but remember when a game goes that long not only do you get tired physically but mentally it starts to bother you, you just get so drained. If you look at box scores of long games you see that usually the longer a game goes the harder it is to score any runs no matter who’s pitching. Although in this game I think Milwaukee scored then we came back to score and tie it up before Harold won it. (Author’s Note: Tom’s memory is correct. The Brewers scored two in the 9th with the Sox coming back to tie it in the bottom of the frame. Milwaukee then scored three in the 21st inning before the Sox came back yet again, with three to retie the contest.)

Lip

PalehosePlanet
05-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Palehose:

From my interview with Tom:

ML: Of course one game that does stand out was the 25 inning game with Milwaukee on May 8th and 9th. It’s the longest game time wise (Author’s Note: 8:06) in MLB history. You had five hits in the game won on a home run by Harold Baines. What’s it like playing in a game that long?

TP: “I guess it turned out that was the high point of the season. I certainly remember that game because I didn’t start it yet still had five hits. I was actually eating pizza in the umpires dressing room when one of the clubhouse guys told me I had to go in the game for Ron Kittle. Kitty came down with a migraine. I asked the guy when I was needed and he said something like ‘you’re up next!’ I flew into the dugout and had pizza sauce all over my uniform top. I struck out on three pitches and remember thinking, ‘hell, Kittle could have done that!’

ML: When a game goes that long is that one of the situations where the guys look at one another and say something like, ‘this game has gone so long we damn well better win it!’

TP: “Sure but remember when a game goes that long not only do you get tired physically but mentally it starts to bother you, you just get so drained. If you look at box scores of long games you see that usually the longer a game goes the harder it is to score any runs no matter who’s pitching. Although in this game I think Milwaukee scored then we came back to score and tie it up before Harold won it. (Author’s Note: Tom’s memory is correct. The Brewers scored two in the 9th with the Sox coming back to tie it in the bottom of the frame. Milwaukee then scored three in the 21st inning before the Sox came back yet again, with three to retie the contest.)

Lip

Lip, that was definitely a good interview. I enjoy them all but I always appreciated Paciorek's candor, so I particularly liked this one.

Also, as far as you know, is Wimpy's 5 hits for a non-starter still the record?

ChiSoxGirl
05-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Steve Stone is allowed by contract to miss I think 10 games during the season. D.J. has some personal family matters that he has to attend to.

Lip

Farmer announced tonight that DJ's mom died on Wednesday. :(:

Paciorek was all kinds of awesome tonight! :bandance: I forgot how much I used to love him in the broadcast booth! It'll be good to listen to the games on the radio for the rest of this road trip.

Lip Man 1
05-15-2010, 12:05 AM
Girl:

He'll be better than the games themselves apparently.

Lip

tstrike2000
05-15-2010, 12:09 AM
This is all kinds of awesome!!! :bliss: Sometimes it pays to listen to the games on the radio!

Farmer announced tonight that DJ's mom died on Wednesday. :(:

Paciorek was all kinds of awesome tonight! :bandance: I forgot how much I used to love him in the broadcast booth! It'll be good to listen to the games on the radio for the rest of this road trip.

Ok, let me get this straight. You're saying that Paciorek back broadcasting for the Sox is several kinds of awesome?

ChiSoxGirl
05-15-2010, 12:21 AM
Ok, let me get this straight. You're saying that Paciorek back broadcasting for the Sox is several kinds of awesome?

Yes! :tongue: :redneck Hey, when you're relegated to listening to over 90 games on the radio and get a guy like Paciorek in the booth for a handful of games, it's a treat!

Nellie_Fox
05-15-2010, 12:55 AM
I've become convinced that what many WSI posters want is whatever isn't the current situation at any given time.

If Paciorek had stayed and Hawk left, there'd be posts about "I don't want to hear any more stories about Tommy Lasorda. Man I wish Hawk was still here; he made the game interesting."

Yes there would.

Mohoney
05-15-2010, 02:49 AM
I've become convinced that what many WSI posters want is whatever isn't the current situation at any given time.

If Paciorek had stayed and Hawk left, there'd be posts about "I don't want to hear any more stories about Tommy Lasorda. Man I wish Hawk was still here; he made the game interesting."

Yes there would.

I just want whatever will get KingXerxes to post more often.

spongyfungy
05-15-2010, 03:24 AM
Tom is a veteran broadcaster and the listen was enjoyable. Banter was good and he's just got the pipes for it. There were no uncomfortable silences, and even though the game was horrible, they made it bearable.

Hawk and Frank, on the other hand, were brutal. I was cringing when Frank kept talking after the inning was over and they were fading out to commercials. He offered very little insight so I had to just turn the volume down

MarkZ35
05-15-2010, 03:25 AM
I don't usually listen to the games on the radio but Wimpy sounded great and he made this miserable loss somewhat tolerable.

TomBradley72
05-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Paciorek was fantastic tonight...I hope this opens the door for this return to the team permanently. Knowledgable, funny, even decent chemistry with Farmer...best radio broadcast since Rooney left.

32nd&Wallace
05-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Can't Hawk and Paciorek put aside their feud and just reunite for one broadcast?

tstrike2000
05-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Can't Hawk and Paciorek put aside their feud and just reunite for one broadcast?

That would be great. However, if things didn't end well, perhaps they can't let it go, which is maybe why Frank is in the booth with Hawk. However, like Brian26 said, if it gets Frank out of the broadcast with Hawk, that would be a good thing.

SI1020
05-15-2010, 11:00 AM

Yes there would. So you think we're all dolts? I really liked it when Wimpy was part of the TV broadcast team. I liked Rooney/Farmer on the radio too. The team on the field isn't the only part of the organization that's on the decline.

Steelrod
05-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Paciorek was fantastic tonight...I hope this opens the door for this return to the team permanently. Knowledgable, funny, even decent chemistry with Farmer...best radio broadcast since Rooney left.
I totally agree. It was a breath of fresh air. If only the results would have been different.

nsolo
05-15-2010, 11:32 AM
He's on strike until TCQ has 20 HRs and Gordon is batting .310.

The sunny side would be that if this were true, Wimpy will be around for quite a while.

spongyfungy
05-15-2010, 01:10 PM

I'd love to hear the whole "You can put it on the board, Yes!" in stereo for nostalgia sakes

Brian26
05-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Tom is a veteran broadcaster and the listen was enjoyable. Banter was good and he's just got the pipes for it. There were no uncomfortable silences, and even though the game was horrible, they made it bearable.

Hawk and Frank, on the other hand, were brutal. I was cringing when Frank kept talking after the inning was over and they were fading out to commercials. He offered very little insight so I had to just turn the volume down

Frank was awful. Knowing it was his first time in the booth during a game, I wasn't expecting much more than we got. The top of the 1st, in particular, was cringe-worthy. He seemed to relax a bit after that.

There was a cute moment in the 5th when Frank said he loved ducksnorts a moment before AJ dropped one into LF to score Vizquel for the first run.

I've never heard Harrelson act in such awe towards another person as he did with Frank last night. It was an interesting dynamic.

Brian26
05-15-2010, 02:10 PM

How cool would that be?

SBSoxFan
05-15-2010, 02:29 PM
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a broadcast today!

:gulp:

Paciorek was also great doing promotional commercials. I remember one he did for hat day. The thing I remember most about it was he was wearing a Viking hat and said: "this is the one the Bull wears."

Also, of Kittle, he said: "The last time I saw someone that strong, he was carrying Fay Raye to the top of the Empire State Building."

Finally, Paciorek on how to look cool (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnj6tPFtYeI) on the diamond.

Chez
05-15-2010, 05:18 PM
I just want whatever will get KingXerxes to post more often.

KingXerxes as Farmio could salvage this season.

Ranger
05-15-2010, 09:30 PM

Can't argue with that because it's true. I even felt pretty rusty. Haven't called a game since the '08 season.

WhiteSox5187
05-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Can't argue with that because it's true. I even felt pretty rusty. Haven't called a game since the '08 season.

Do you ever just broadcast the game while watching it on TV? I used to do that when I was younger...then my brother threw a shoe at me...it kinda killed my broadcasting career.

Soxfest
05-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Love Wimpy!:)

MARTINMVP
05-15-2010, 11:57 PM
I didn't watch many Sox games as a kid, but do remember Wimpy and I have to say, I love hearing him on the radio. I'm not taking anything away from DJ, but DJ and Ed don't have much life. Wimpy brought it back last night and tonight.

ChiSoxGirl
05-16-2010, 12:06 AM
I didn't watch many Sox games as a kid, but do remember Wimpy and I have to say, I love hearing him on the radio. I'm not taking anything away from DJ, but DJ and Ed don't have much life. Wimpy brought it back last night and tonight.

Well, stay tuned because he's going to be Farmer's broadcast partner through the Detroit series! :bandance:

cards press box
05-16-2010, 12:42 AM
It will be great to have Tom back in the booth...albeit for just a couple of series...

Tom Paciorek has been outstanding in the last two Sox broadcasts, just as he always was during his tenure here. He's still knowledgable, informative and very entertaining. And what's more, unlike the "color analyst" for the Chicago National league ballclub, he seems well aware of what is happening in both the AL and NL.* For the life of me, I cannot understand why some major league team (including the Sox) has not hired Tom to do television or radio commentary.

*As I drove around today, I was switching stations on XM and caught a little bit of the Cub game. When the #2 and #3 hitters in Pirate line up came to the plate, Ron Santo asked the play-by-play man: (i) whether Akinori Iwamura came over from the AL even though the Cubs played the Rays in 2008 and Iwamura was their second baseman and leadoff man and (ii) whether Andrew McCutchan came up through the Pirate system. I watched Santo play in the '60's and '70's and I know he was a good ballplayer. But, man, his baseball focus begins and ends at 1060 West Addision and, for him, the other 29 clubs might not as well exist.

tick53
05-16-2010, 10:29 AM

They oughta get rid of Hawks' dead ass and bring Wimpy in with Stoney. Hawk is losing it anyway. He thinks every long fly ball is a home run when you can plainly see the outfielder pumping his glove and camping under it. Also, I've heard his stories way too many times. Go play golf.

ode to veeck
05-16-2010, 10:33 AM
They oughta get rid of Hawks' dead ass and bring Wimpy in with Stoney. Hawk is losing it anyway. He thinks every long fly ball is a home run when you can plainly see the outfielder pumping his glove and camping under it. Also, I've heard his stories way too many times. Go play golf.

hear hear!

harwar
05-16-2010, 10:44 AM
KingXerxes as Farmio could salvage this season.

just thinking about that makes me laugh out loud lol .. that guy was so funny

harwar
05-16-2010, 10:46 AM
and bring Wimpy in with Stoney
if one of those guys could do play-by-play, what an amazing team they would make .. Wimpy might get by doing it but Stoney is dreadful at it

SoxandtheCityTee
05-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Listening to Paciorek has been such a pleasure, and not much of it to do with nostalgia. He has a great voice, an affable manner, and excellent baseball knowledge, lightly worn. Farmer respects him, and asks a lot of questions, which throws Farmer a bit out of his usual "backwards ran the sentences until reeled the mind" syntax. So that's a win-win.

slavko
05-16-2010, 12:16 PM
I just recalled that interview Tom did on ESPN radio the year after he left when he thanked everyone connected with the Sox from JR to the guy who paints the foul lines, except Hawk. Read between the lines, if you don't get the situation yet.

Steelrod
05-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Wimpy and Bump34, now there's a combo!

Coops4Aces
05-16-2010, 01:28 PM
I listen to a few innings last night, and I was immediately down for canning DJ. Wimpy was awesome!

kruzer31
05-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Wimpy is top notch. I wouldn't mind him replacing DJ at some point. Maybe they can find DJ another position.

JEFF

harwar
05-17-2010, 09:17 AM

i'd love to see Wimpy replace DJ unless Farmio is dead set against it .. that would be a disaster ..

Steelrod
05-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Based on the number of views this thread has, it's apparent that Wimpy as prevoked some interest!

Bump34
05-17-2010, 01:19 PM

I know one thing... It would be entertaining!!!:gulp::gulp::gulp:

Steelrod
05-17-2010, 01:24 PM
I know one thing... It would be entertaining!!!:gulp::gulp::gulp:I figured that would catch your eye!

WhiteSoxFTW
05-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Frank was awful. Knowing it was his first time in the booth during a game, I wasn't expecting much more than we got. The top of the 1st, in particular, was cringe-worthy. He seemed to relax a bit after that.

There was a cute moment in the 5th when Frank said he loved ducksnorts a moment before AJ dropped one into LF to score Vizquel for the first run.

I've never heard Harrelson act in such awe towards another person as he did with Frank last night. It was an interesting dynamic.

I heard that as well. I really dislike the term when Hawk uses it, and I let out a groan when I heard Frank say it, but then AJ hit one and I didn't care! Haha.

SI1020
05-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Based on the number of views this thread has, it's apparent that Wimpy as prevoked some interest! Yes he was very much missed by lots of Sox fans. It was not just a case of wanting to be contrary just for the hell of it.

SephClone89
05-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Ugh, this radio booth sounds so decent now!

I feel bad saying that DJ should be replaced permanently, since he just lost his mother.

spongyfungy
05-18-2010, 03:37 PM
I like DJ but Paciorek has been top notch. He's been fun and jovial and makes the entire broadcast just fly by.

DJ was goofy when paired up with Hawk. Now he's got this pent up rage and a huge chip on his shoulder and he's taking it out on Farmio. He's just way too sarcastic for me in the radio booth and he wasn't like this on TV.

soxlady8
05-18-2010, 08:23 PM
I was out of town (near St. Louis ) this weekend and I got the Score on my radio so that is how I got my fix for the Sox this past weekend in KC.

I really really really liked the broadcasts I heard.
I thought the guys had a great on air chemistry.
DJ and Farmer don't seem to flow naturally for some reason --

BainesHOF
05-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Paciorek was great to listen to again. I hope he returns at every opportunity.

I know Frank isn't a professional broadcaster, but I enjoyed him as well. I enjoyed him talking about hitting. The guy knows what he's talking about in that department. Plus he remains a Sox fan. I like that.

Chicago is a big market and we deserve the best announcers. Wills and Rongey, who did a passable job as a pinch-hitter, don't cut it at this level. We deserve guys like Rooney and Paciorek, and Stone and Hawk and Farmer.

ChiSoxGirl
05-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Paciorek was top notch over the last several games and I'm disappointed to see him go. He's got such a great announcer's voice and is so enthusiastic. He made all of the games I listened to much more entertaining!

SI1020
05-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Paciorek was great to listen to again. I hope he returns at every opportunity.

I know Frank isn't a professional broadcaster, but I enjoyed him as well. I enjoyed him talking about hitting. The guy knows what he's talking about in theat department. Plus he remains a Sox fan. I like that.

Chicago is a big market and we deserve the best announcers. Wills and Rongey, who did a passable job as a pinch-hitter, don't cut it at this level. We deserve guys like Rooney and Paciorek, and Stone and Hawk and Farmer. You've heard Dave Wills do games for the Rays?

BainesHOF
05-19-2010, 03:43 AM
You've heard Dave Wills do games for the Rays?

No, but wasn't he voted the worst announcer in baseball a year or two ago?

I like Dave personally, but his broadcasting style became self indulgent when he was with us. His relentless plugs of friends' businesses and repeated talk about drinking was at best unprofessional.

SI1020
05-19-2010, 09:55 AM
No, but wasn't he voted the worst announcer in baseball a year or two ago?

I like Dave personally, but his broadcasting style became self indulgent when he was with us. His relentless plugs of friends' businesses and repeated talk about drinking was at best unprofessional. OK. Fair enough.

ktssox
05-19-2010, 11:07 AM
He's got such a great announcer's voice and is so enthusiastic.

Did anyone ever feel like he was confusingly enthusiastic? There were times when I thought something good was happening for the Sox, when in reality it was happening for the other team. At one point, he said (rather excitedly) something like, "Oh, he got him right there!" I thought Gavin had thrown a great pitch, but in reality the hitter hit one into the outfield that scored two runs. I remember feeling like that a few times during the broadcasts.