PDA

View Full Version : Hank Blalock

tm1119
05-12-2010, 08:14 PM
I think there was a thread about him earlier, but I decided to make a new 1.

Hes got a ridiculous .366 avg and .425 OBP in the Rays AAA right now and the date is quickly approaching to where he can opt to become a FA if hes not on their MLB roster. I'd say there is a 95% chance he is traded. Is it worth it to trade a mid level prospect or PTBNL for a spark of offense?

Not sure where he would fit in right away. "Find" an injury for Carlos, or maybe let Gordon work himself out in AAA? Or just let him platoon with Quentin/Jones and cut Kotsay? Anyway we do it we obviously desperately need offense and hes out there for cheap.

KMcMahon817
05-12-2010, 08:50 PM
I'd be surprised if it happened. With that said, I am not fully against it.

LoveYourSuit
05-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Can he still play any 3B even at half ass levels?

Because the guy we have there right now, suckssssssss!

doublem23
05-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Almost by default, he'd have to be an improvement over at least 1 guy on our 25-man roster.

jabrch
05-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Almost by default, he'd have to be an improvement over at least 1 guy on our 25-man roster.

Andruw Jones? The worst player in all of baseball?

doublem23
05-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Andruw Jones? The worst player in all of baseball?

I was wondering how long you could restrain yourself before unleashing this post. 2nd week in May, I'm actually pretty impressed. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Luckily Jones is still playing well, but there's still a lot of dead weight on this team. Though, BTW, I'm happy Jones is performing well, but before you hurt your elbow patting yourself on the back, just remember May 12, 2009 Jones was hitting .315/.479/.593 for Texas and still wound up barely hitting over .200 for the entire season.

russ99
05-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Can he still play any 3B even at half ass levels?

I thought Blalock was moved to 1B for the same reasons. It's doubtul he'd be any improvement at 3B, and could easily be worse.

I'd prefer the Sox go after Scott Rolen at/before the deadline. Power bat, good 3B, done.

soltrain21
05-14-2010, 09:23 AM
I thought Blalock was moved to 1B for the same reasons. It's doubtul he'd be any improvement at 3B, and could easily be worse.

I'd prefer the Sox go after Scott Rolen at/before the deadline. Power bat, good 3B, done.

And the Reds would trade him why?

asindc
05-14-2010, 09:26 AM

He was, and he would be.

jabrch
05-14-2010, 11:00 AM
I was wondering how long you could restrain yourself before unleashing this post. 2nd week in May, I'm actually pretty impressed. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Luckily Jones is still playing well, but there's still a lot of dead weight on this team. Though, BTW, I'm happy Jones is performing well, but before you hurt your elbow patting yourself on the back, just remember May 12, 2009 Jones was hitting .315/.479/.593 for Texas and still wound up barely hitting over .200 for the entire season.

I'm not patting myself on the back at all. I never said Jones would be good. All I said was that it makes a bit of sense to not jump to conclusions before the season starts. I said that I had no idea what Jones would do. You were completely and totally convinced you were right and that there was absolutely no room for any other truth. Let's be clear on this Dubs. My approach this year has been to not draw conclusions on these guys until we have seen a bit more of their play. They could be good - they could suck. You had Jones as the worst starter in all of baseball before you saw him swing the bat even once - and you had that with 100% certainty in every post you made - to the point where you went out of your way to belittle anyone who thought otherwise.

But here you are again - so 100% convinced that Hank Blalock, yes - the Hank Blalock who is not on a roster right now - has to be better than guys we have (assumedly at a position where he'd be a need) We don't know... We really don't know... That's all my point is. Jones is just one example.

PalehosePlanet
05-15-2010, 03:17 PM
I think there was a thread about him earlier, but I decided to make a new 1.

Hes got a ridiculous .366 avg and .425 OBP in the Rays AAA right now and the date is quickly approaching to where he can opt to become a FA if hes not on their MLB roster. I'd say there is a 95% chance he is traded. Is it worth it to trade a mid level prospect or PTBNL for a spark of offense?

Not sure where he would fit in right away. "Find" an injury for Carlos, or maybe let Gordon work himself out in AAA? Or just let him platoon with Quentin/Jones and cut Kotsay? Anyway we do it we obviously desperately need offense and hes out there for cheap.

Pat Burrell was dfa'd and Blalock is being promoted to take his spot on the Rays roster.