PDA

View Full Version : Strasburg's AAA games being televised on tape-delay.

asindc
05-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Starting with his promotion to Syracuse, Strasburg's games have been shown on tape delay on the MASN Network (home of both the Nats and O's). As of this writing, he is working on a no-hitter in today's game.

http://www.nationalsdailynews.com/columnists/post.cfm?blog=ian&id=458&story=masn-to-carry-strasburgs-triplea-debut-on-tape-delay&s=recent

NDSox12
05-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Starting with his promotion to Syracuse, Strasburg's game have been shown on tape delay on the MASN Network (home of both the Nats and O's). As of this writing, he is working on a no-hitter in today's game.

http://www.nationalsdailynews.com/columnists/post.cfm?blog=ian&id=458&story=masn-to-carry-strasburgs-triplea-debut-on-tape-delay&s=recent

Looks like they pulled him after 6 with the no-hitter in progress. Storen gave up a hit in the 7th though.

Dub25
05-12-2010, 11:13 PM
I really hope this kid suceeds otherwise he could be the biggest bust ever.

HomeFish
05-12-2010, 11:15 PM

Even if he is merely a solid #2/#3 starter, he will be considered the biggest bust ever.

doublem23
05-12-2010, 11:20 PM

He's going to have to really bomb to overtake Brien Taylor or Matt Bush.

Dub25
05-12-2010, 11:39 PM

Or Ben MacDonald and Todd Van Poppel...

Coops4Aces
05-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Anyone going to see the Sox in Washington should probably buy their tickets now. He will be, barring injury, on the Nats roster when we go to town and if he is scheduled to pitch in the series, the game will be a guaranteed sellout.

DumpJerry
05-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Even if he is merely a solid #2/#3 starter, he will be considered the biggest bust ever.

:LTP
Someone call?

DSpivack
05-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Anyone going to see the Sox in Washington should probably buy their tickets now. He will be, barring injury, on the Nats roster when we go to town and if he is scheduled to pitch in the series, the game will be a guaranteed sellout.

The Nats a guaranteed sellout?

:rolling:

munchman33
05-13-2010, 12:07 AM

Why do you hate Stephen Strasburg?

doublem23
05-13-2010, 12:11 AM

Yeah, MacDonald and Van Poppel weren't #1 overall picks. Taylor and Steve Chilcott are the only two #1 overall picks to never reach the Majors, though Wilcott may be an exception because supposedly the Mets selected him over Reggie Jackson thanks to some good ol' boy-style racism. Matt Bush is well on his way to joining this exclusive club, he's 24 years old, hadn't played organized ball since 2007 and is now a relief pitcher on the Rays' Class A+ team in Port Charlotte, FL.

Assuming Strasburg makes the Majors, I think he's at least ahead of these 3, right?

pythons007
05-13-2010, 10:38 AM

I remember back in 90 and 91 when these two came into the league and all the hype on them. I was really big into collecting baseball cards back then and I had their rookie cards.

I was 10 when that happened and knew their names back then, however Strausburg is being anointed the savior of the Nationals...and people hiding in caves in Afghanistan know this guy.

asindc
05-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Yeah, MacDonald and Van Poppel weren't #1 overall picks. Taylor and Steve Chilcott are the only two #1 overall picks to never reach the Majors, though Wilcott may be an exception because supposedly the Mets selected him over Reggie Jackson thanks to some good ol' boy-style racism. Matt Bush is well on his way to joining this exclusive club, he's 24 years old, hadn't played organized ball since 2007 and is now a relief pitcher on the Rays' Class A+ team in Port Charlotte, FL.

Assuming Strasburg makes the Majors, I think he's at least ahead of these 3, right?

To be fair to Taylor, his career was derailed by a persistent shoulder injury. Chilcott was just a bust, plain and simple.

Madvora
05-13-2010, 01:06 PM
I don't get it. I don't follow other teams, but what's the big deal with this guy? I see his name a lot on WSI, but there's new people coming into the league every year. Why is this guy so special?

Rocky Soprano
05-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Why do you hate Stephen Strasburg?

Because he's HomeFish, simple as that.

munchman33
05-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Because he's HomeFish, simple as that.

It's sarcasm. He's right, the hype is ridiculous. He's already pegged the next Roger Clemens. Anything other than that is an epic bust.

Seems I've been down this road before... :cool:

Rocky Soprano
05-14-2010, 12:22 PM
It's sarcasm. He's right, the hype is ridiculous. He's already pegged the next Roger Clemens. Anything other than that is an epic bust.

Seems I've been down this road before... :cool:

How that turn out for ya? :tongue:

Coops4Aces
05-14-2010, 12:36 PM

Yes

JermaineDye05
05-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Yes

I wouldn't be surprised. Their tickets are pretty ****ing cheap.

downstairs
05-14-2010, 03:31 PM

For one game, yes I could see that. Maybe not 100%, but it'll be packed.

soltrain21
05-14-2010, 03:42 PM
I don't get it. I don't follow other teams, but what's the big deal with this guy? I see his name a lot on WSI, but there's new people coming into the league every year. Why is this guy so special?

Because he got a huge contract and is being predicted by some to be one of the greatest pitchers ever. He was absolutely ridiculous in college.

asindc
05-24-2010, 06:52 PM
MLB Network will show his start live tonight at 7p against Toledo Mud Hens (Detroit AAA team).

sox1970
05-24-2010, 08:36 PM
He went 5 innings. 5 hits, 2 runs, 1 ER, 0 bb, 5 k. 52 pitches/36 strikes.

harwar
05-25-2010, 11:03 AM
the one game i saw him pitch this year he looked awfully good

05-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Rumors are flying around that Strasburg will start Saturday @ San Diego.

I have had tickets for 2 months to this game. Good tickets!

Am I getting my hopes up? Does anyone know how the arbitration clock works for someone like Strasburg? Would it make absolute zero sense for the Nationals not to wait until after June 1st? They are trying to stay competitive and in their race and they brought up Storen early. Could they do the same with Strasburg?

Here is one story but the radio has all the buzz here:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/may/24/strasburg-gives-first-aaa-runs-what-next/

asindc
05-25-2010, 02:59 PM

Am I getting my hopes up? Does anyone know how the arbitration clock works for someone like Strasburg? Would it make absolute zero sense for the Nationals not to wait until after June 1st? They are trying to stay competitive and in their race and they brought up Storen early. Could they do the same with Strasburg?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/may/24/strasburg-gives-first-aaa-runs-what-next/

I seriously doubt it. The Nats want to start him at home. June 4 is against Cincy, not the best-hitting team, and it is a Friday. That is the date most talked about here.

illinibk
05-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Despite his affiliation with Boras, I would like to see him do well; he seems like a good kid.

But, if these discussions of his mechanics (albeit over a year old) remain correct, he could fizzle out in a hurry.

http://www.drivelinemechanics.com/2008/11/18/665018/quick-note-stephen-strasbu

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Pitching/ProfessionalPitcherAnalyses/StephenStrasburg.html

NDSox12
05-26-2010, 12:42 AM

No chance. Not so much because of the arbitration clock issue, but because there is no way they will have him make his debut on the road. Nats fans would be furious and the team would be wasting a guaranteed sellout, something that virtually never happens in DC.

05-26-2010, 01:00 AM
No chance. Not so much because of the arbitration clock issue, but because there is no way they will have him make his debut on the road. Nats fans would be furious and the team would be wasting a guaranteed sellout, something that virtually never happens in DC.

I don't see any difference really. His home debut would be a sellout regardless. In fact, I am sure just about all of his home games will be close to sellouts.

NDSox12
05-26-2010, 08:10 AM
I don't see any difference really. His home debut would be a sellout regardless. In fact, I am sure just about all of his home games will be close to sellouts.

That's probably true, but it is more about stealing that moment away from their fans. As silly as this may sound, for Nats fans, Strasburg's debut will be the biggest thing to happen in many, many years. The organization has done more than enough to alienate their fans the last few years. Debuting Strasburg on the road could be the last straw for some.

Full disclosure: I have tickets for his rumored debut in DC on June 4th. So I would be among the disappointed people if that was not his MLB debut.

thegooch
05-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Full disclosure: I have tickets for his rumored debut in DC on June 4th. So I would be among the disappointed people if that was not his MLB debut.

I'll be in DC for the Sox series and I have tickets to the June 19th game. Here's(:gulp:) to hoping Strasburg pitches!

asindc
05-26-2010, 09:50 AM
That's probably true, but it is more about stealing that moment away from their fans. As silly as this may sound, for Nats fans, Strasburg's debut will be the biggest thing to happen in many, many years. The organization has done more than enough to alienate their fans the last few years. Debuting Strasburg on the road could be the last straw for some.

Exactly. After the mis-guided marketing of Opening Day to Phillies fans and giving them better access to tickets than their own fans, the Nats organization cannot blow this one. It would be seen as yet another insult from a clueless organization.

russ99
05-26-2010, 10:50 AM

He's the best pitching prospect since Beckett, and has overpowering stuff.

Also, he's the one hope the Nationals have to become a contending club.

asindc
05-27-2010, 10:34 AM
More info on possible Strasburg debut: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2010/05/report_stephen_strasburg_to_de.html

Coops4Aces
05-31-2010, 11:27 PM
Strasburg to pitch June 8th which, with a normal 5 man rotation, means he'll face us June 19th in DC. And I'll be there in person :cool: