PDA

View Full Version : The Reds

doublem23
05-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Anybody paying attention to the goings on in Cincinnati? They're 19-15 now after Homer Bailey shut out the Pirates, a day after Johnny Cueto did the same yesterday (only the 8th time a team has thrown consecutive shutouts since 2000 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/6019)).

They are potentially 1 game behind St. Louis, who plays Houston tonight.

Are they for real? Or is this a mirage?

chisox616
05-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Albert and Holliday will heat up, no sweat.

PKalltheway
05-12-2010, 09:46 PM
I think they're for real. While the Cardinals will eventually heat up, I think the Reds have enough to stay in the Wild Card race deeper into the season.

Boondock Saint
05-12-2010, 09:51 PM
They're not there yet. The NL Central is garbage outside of the Cardinals. The Reds will most likely be contending in a year or two.

voodoochile
05-12-2010, 10:10 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2444724&postcount=4

doublem23
05-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Albert and Holliday will heat up, no sweat.

I hope not, I hate the Cardinals. Would love to see them dethroned and then watch Albert sign with the Mets or something.

Dub25
05-12-2010, 10:57 PM
I hope not, I hate the Cardinals. Would love to see them dethroned and then watch Albert sign with the Mets or something.

Why hate The Cubs biggest rival?

Either way, the Reds will probably hang around but Carpenter and Wainwright are a better tandem than what the Reds could come up with. THey can hit. The best part is I heard today that the Cubs are suppose to beat teams like the Reds. Why? Because they are the Cubs?

VenturaFan23
05-13-2010, 07:16 AM
I think they're for real, but I don't trusty in Dusty.

doublem23
05-13-2010, 07:22 AM
Why hate The Cubs biggest rival?

I lived in the Middle of Nowhere, Illinois for several years, knee-deep in Cardinal fans. They are annoying.

It's only easy to like them when you stay in Chicago. The thought that we have some special bond over our mutual dislike of the Cubs is completely one-sided. Cardinal fans hate us, too. In the end, our road greys say Chicago across the chest, too, and that trumps everything to them.

VenturaFan23
05-13-2010, 09:08 AM
I lived in the Middle of Nowhere, Illinois for several years, knee-deep in Cardinal fans. They are annoying.

It's only easy to like them when you stay in Chicago. The thought that we have some special bond over our mutual dislike of the Cubs is completely one-sided. Cardinal fans hate us, too. In the end, our road greys say Chicago across the chest, too, and that trumps everything to them.

I can attest to this because we went to a Cards game on our way to see the Sox play KC a few years ago and I got harrassed by a Cards fan for wearing a Sox shirt. He said it didn't matter if we were Cub fans or not since we were from Chicago. I thought that special bond was there too, apparently not.

DSpivack
05-13-2010, 09:27 AM

I didn't live there, but I visited my dad in Springfield a lot growing up and we'd make plenty of baseball trips to St. Louis. I loved it and the Cardinals have been my 2nd favorite team, ever since the days of Ozzie Smith, Ray Lankford and Bernard Gilkey.

doublem23
05-13-2010, 09:49 AM
I didn't live there, but I visited my dad in Springfield a lot growing up and we'd make plenty of baseball trips to St. Louis. I loved it and the Cardinals have been my 2nd favorite team, ever since the days of Ozzie Smith, Ray Lankford and Bernard Gilkey.

If you just like the Cardinals, that's cool, I personally like the Reds a lot; 1990 was the first year I can remember playing organized tee-ball, my team name was the Reds and that October they swept the A's in the World Series, so I've always had this special little bond with them. If you just like the Cardinals, or any other team, for personal reasons like that, more power to you.

I'm only saying, I know plenty of Sox fans who say they love the Cardinals because of our mutual disdain for the Cubs, it's not true for them. If the only reason you can give for liking St. Louis is because of that supposed connection, I can assure you it is completely imaginary on our part. They still don't like us. People from St. Louis have a serious inferiority complex about Chicago.

pythons007
05-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Two things:

1. A rotation consisting of Carpenter and Wainwright

2. Albert Pujols

They'll be playing for 2nd place.

doublem23
05-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Two things:

2. Albert Pujols

33% of teams that finish in 2nd place still make the playoffs.

05-13-2010, 10:39 AM
33% of teams that finish in 2nd place still make the playoffs.

If the Padres don't win the NL West than they are taking the Wild Card. :tongue:

C'mon, more love the the Reds than the Padres?

Jerko
05-13-2010, 10:40 AM
I'd like to see them in a few years with a healthy (if possible) Volquez, Chapman in the rotation, and a more seasoned Bailey, Leake and Cueto. The potential is there for a great young staff, we'll just have to see how it plays out.

Vestigio
05-13-2010, 11:11 AM
The only thing holding the Reds back this season is their pitching. I'd guess they would be at or near .500 at the end of the season

samurai_sox
05-13-2010, 11:38 AM

+1

Seriously, I don't get all the Cardinal love around here. There is no special relationship between the Sox and Cards, just like how Cub fans think they have a special bond with the Red Sox. Don't fool yourselves, Cardinal fans don't give to ****s about the Sox.

Boondock Saint
05-13-2010, 11:41 AM
+1

Seriously, I don't get all the Cardinal love around here. There is no special relationship between the Sox and Cards, just like how Cub fans think they have a special bond with the Red Sox. Don't fool yourselves, Cardinal fans don't give to ****s about the Sox.

I like the Cardinals because they beat the Cubs. I couldn't care less who their fans are.

samurai_sox
05-13-2010, 07:40 PM
I like the Cardinals because they beat the Cubs. I couldn't care less who their fans are.

Maybe I'm a little old fashioned but I prefer to follow the Sox and Sox only. Why care about a certain NL team up north whether they win or lose?

doublem23
05-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Two things:

2. Albert Pujols

Houston sweeps away the Cardinals... in St. Louis.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=300513124

hi im skot
05-13-2010, 10:57 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2444724&postcount=4

Heh, 90 wins for the Sox...

Marqhead
05-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Pretty interesting early season series starts today as the Cards roll into Cincy only 1/2 game up in the standings. Time for the Reds to make a statement!

chisox616
05-14-2010, 12:47 PM
:scratch:

I live in St. Louis when I'm not at Mizzou (like right now). I go to Cards games all the time, in Sox apparel. I've never had any trouble; in fact there tends to be a good number of people who always say "At least you guys hate the Cubs!" I went to about 15-20 games in the past couple of years and I never had any issues whatsoever. I think you guys are just dealing with Illinois Cardinal fans, that's your issue.

In fact, before this thread, I would've guessed that Cards fans were the only ones that would say "At least we both hate the Cubs"...

WhiteSoxFTW
05-14-2010, 01:38 PM
I think the Reds will finish 2nd in the division. I don't think they wildcard will come out of the central, though.

DirtySox
05-16-2010, 04:10 PM
I think the Reds will finish 2nd in the division. I don't think they wildcard will come out of the central, though.

Agreed. I think the Reds are on the upswing, but the team isn't a division winner just yet. They have been real fun to watch, and I've loved seeing Leake pitch so far this year.

palehozenychicty
05-18-2010, 09:05 PM
They've got a lot of young talent on that roster. We'll see, but they're playing well right now and Chapman is still learning the ropes.

Slappy
05-18-2010, 09:50 PM

Agreed.

They have some serious talent though. Leake, Votto, Phillips, and Cueto looks like he might be putting it together. Gives me a reason to watch the Cubs once in a while. :wink: Pretty excited about Leake. He's been pitching well for me in fantasy for a couple weeks now.

Mohoney
05-19-2010, 02:58 AM
They seem to be making a nice leap forward this year, possibly accelerating their long-term rebuilding plan by a year? If they were looking at 2012 as the year to make their splash and become major players in the free agent market, maybe this success by their young pitching will make them think that they are ready for a division title in 2011?

The real question is, do the Reds think Dusty Baker is the guy they want in charge for the next phase in this team's development, or do they think he was just there to be a "point A to point B" guy?

His track record with handling young pitching does have some blemishes, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Reds go in a different direction.